Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ragingsheep posted:

Is it just me or does steaming from Google Music use a lot of bandwidth?

Full quality music files are big these days. Uncheck "high quality" in Play Music settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Remember that with Spotify you can download playlists to the device so you don't stream any of those songs. For my listening habits that helps a ton.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Thermopyle posted:

Remember that with Spotify you can download playlists to the device so you don't stream any of those songs. For my listening habits that helps a ton.

Also true for Google Music.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Full quality music files are big these days. Uncheck "high quality" in Play Music settings.

It's already unchecked. It used about 200mbs for an hour of streaming.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I can't say enough good things about Our Groceries. You can make your own list, the crossed off stuff stays at the bottom for uncrossing off, but the killer feature for my wife and me is that the sync is instantaneous. Either of us can add things either to the online list or on either of our devices and the changes are reflected immediately on the other devices. It makes shopping trips a snap.

This is perfect actually, thank you!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Is there an Android equivalent to http://appshopper.com/? I know about http://www.app-sales.net/ but it doesn't let me sort the apps or filter by category.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm looking for a camera app that will take photos on a keypress on my bluetooth headset (Or similar remote control) on my stock N4.

Anything to that effect?

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I just got a bluetooth keyboard for my Nexus 7 to turn it into a note taking machine, and cloudon doesn't seem to want to work with said keyboard. Any other decent note taking applications that I can use, preferably with the ability to switch them between devices easily?

Edit: I am an idiot and completely forgot that Google Drive was a literally exactly what I need and I'm already using it.

Ryen Deckard fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 8, 2013

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is there anyone that uses an app to pull mail from an Outlook OWA server? There are several out there but I can't decide on which one I want to trust.

Looking for any recommendations on any of them. I'm sick of using the webpage.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

EVIR Gibson posted:

So is there anyone that uses an app to pull mail from an Outlook OWA server? There are several out there but I can't decide on which one I want to trust.

Looking for any recommendations on any of them. I'm sick of using the webpage.

Touchdown is a little steep at 20 dollars but it works really well.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Ragingsheep posted:

It's already unchecked. It used about 200mbs for an hour of streaming.

That doesn't seem right, as 320 kbit/s would only be 144 MB. Did you uncheck the "cache files willy nilly" feature?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
What's a good IRC client?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

the kawaiiest posted:

AndChat is really good, especially on tablets.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

the kawaiiest posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

AndChat is really good, especially on tablets.
I use yaaic mostly because of nick colours, though either is good enough I suppose.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I've been using Android IRC and never had a problem.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

deadbian posted:

I've been using Android IRC and never had a problem.

I was dedicated to andchat, decided to try andirc. It's got some nice features, good layout and looks very nice, but it kind of lags a bit for me when the chat is really going. I think I might stick with andchat for the time being.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are there any crossword apps that allow multiple people to work on the same puzzle as a team on their own devices?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

vote_no posted:

That doesn't seem right, as 320 kbit/s would only be 144 MB. Did you uncheck the "cache files willy nilly" feature?

I'd say its close. If your connection is good enough Play Music caches songs pretty far out plus all the album art. I'd be willing to bet Play Music is made badly enough that it's duplicating some of those things too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'd say its close. If your connection is good enough Play Music caches songs pretty far out plus all the album art. I'd be willing to bet Play Music is made badly enough that it's duplicating some of those things too.
Also there are overheads on transferring data, not every single bit is the actual useful data that you want, there is protocol and error correction data around it. Around 10% would not be unreasonable for that.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Saint Fu posted:

Are there any crossword apps that allow multiple people to work on the same puzzle as a team on their own devices?

You just blew my mind. This would be awesome.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Thanks for the IRC app suggestions everyone. Trying them out now. :)

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 8, 2013

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Rooster Brooster posted:

You just blew my mind. This would be awesome.
A goon needs to make this.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Saint Fu posted:

A goon needs to make this.

I was just talking about this with my wife last week. I really think there's a market for it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

brc64 posted:

I was just talking about this with my wife last week. I really think there's a market for it.

Hardcore crozzwordz. Includes a 15 minute reminder to check on your kids/medicine cabinet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Question about Play Music: it's recently come available in Australia, and I've started uploading my music library to it. However, now on my phone, it seems that shitloads of my songs on my phone are sort-of only available to play whilst online. I've set the app to WiFi-only, but can't figure out why. I can go shuffle all, or play an album or whatever and they'll play, but if I go to the current play list heaps of songs are greyed out and it tells me it can't be played without a connection, despite them still being in my phone's storage. Is there any way to stop this, because it is annoying as gently caress, and I don't want Play Music streaming songs and burning up my pitiful mobile data allowance when they are just sitting there on my phone.

e: Actually, is it streaming from Play? Or does it just want to be online to compare against my cloud library?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 9, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Question about Play Music: it's recently come available in Australia, and I've started uploading my music library to it. However, now on my phone, it seems that shitloads of my songs on my phone are sort-of only available to play whilst online. I've set the app to WiFi-only, but can't figure out why. I can go shuffle all, or play an album or whatever and they'll play, but if I go to the current play list heaps of songs are greyed out and it tells me it can't be played without a connection, despite them still being in my phone's storage. Is there any way to stop this, because it is annoying as gently caress, and I don't want Play Music streaming songs and burning up my pitiful mobile data allowance when they are just sitting there on my phone.
You're talking about pinned tracks or ones you manually loaded? Because I think you have to do the former and eschew the latter.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LastInLine posted:

You're talking about pinned tracks or ones you manually loaded? Because I think you have to do the former and eschew the latter.

What's the difference? I've already manually copied my music on to my device via USB as I've had it for nearly a year and Play only became available recently. When I set it to On Device Only everything is pinned as it should be, but when it's on All Music, only a couple are pinned. It's not going to go and download stuff that's already there is it?

e: I just tested it, set it to All Music, pinned an album I know is stored on my device, and it started downloading it. That is just all kinds of loving stupid.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 9, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What's the difference? I've already manually copied my music on to my device via USB as I've had it for nearly a year and Play only became available recently. When I set it to On Device Only everything is pinned as it should be, but when it's on All Music, only a couple are pinned. It's not going to go and download stuff that's already there is it?

e: I just tested it, set it to All Music, pinned an album I know is stored on my device, and it started downloading it. That is just all kinds of loving stupid.
Yep, that's how that works.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005
I'm neurotic about reading each item in Twitter or Facebook and enjoy having everything "read" similar to my RSS feeds. Does anyone know of an app that will allow you to easily "clear" the list of Twitter/Facebook items once read? As an aside, boy do I miss Slidescreen and wish that project hadn't been abandoned - it worked exactly how my brain works...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yeah, Play Music will only play its files, and pinning them is a separate action from just transferring stuff over yourself.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Athenry posted:

Yeah, Play Music will only play its files,

I don't believe this part is true, but clearly it's not good at handling it when you have identical files both in the cloud and on-device.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Anyone looking to try a new SMS app should checkout Ninja SMS, just picked it up and overall I've been liking it for the multitasking qualities. It's still new but I'm excited to see what the devs do in the future with it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Penguissimo posted:

I don't believe this part is true, but clearly it's not good at handling it when you have identical files both in the cloud and on-device.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. It chooses the cloud files over local storage unless Play Music is the one that put the file in local storage. Right? I've been pinning and streaming for so long I forget.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

deadbian posted:

Anyone looking to try a new SMS app should checkout Ninja SMS, just picked it up and overall I've been liking it for the multitasking qualities. It's still new but I'm excited to see what the devs do in the future with it.

That looks cool. Kind of like the Facebook Faces thing but for SMS only, and not tied to Facebook - i.e. infinitely better in my opinion. I may well give this a try.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Athenry posted:

Yeah, I worded that poorly. It chooses the cloud files over local storage unless Play Music is the one that put the file in local storage. Right? I've been pinning and streaming for so long I forget.

Pinned mp3s on play music are stored in a different location than music you've put on the SD Card yourself. I'm not sure if the Music player is smart enough to sort out which are which based on id3 tags.

I wonder if you should see duplicates in that situation.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Athenry posted:

There's not even a way to add files to local storage through Play Music other than via pinning—you can of course add files through MTP, and it will notice and play those files, but it doesn't seem to treat them in any special way. Pinned files, on the other hand, are stored in some special location with obfuscated file names, and can't be accessed by other media players under normal circumstances.* I'm in the same boat (it's been a long time since I've played anything from anywhere other than the cloud), but you must be right that it prioritises cloud files in case of a conflict, which is a pretty stupid decision.

* there are apps that let you do this but I think they require root?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I have a sneaking suspicion that if your manually-added songs have slightly different tags, they'll appear as another copy of the album. Which isn't exactly a good solution or anything.

I wouldn't mind the pinning aspect if it didn't take so long. Really the desktop Music Manager needs a way of converting the files and sideloading them to your phone, but I'm really not going to hold my breath on that one.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone have any idea why Google Now on my girlfriend's RAZR M doesn't give her the option to say "Google" to open the voice search? The option is checked in Now's settings and voice input on is checked in Input settings, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

Anyone have any idea why Google Now on my girlfriend's RAZR M doesn't give her the option to say "Google" to open the voice search? The option is checked in Now's settings and voice input on is checked in Input settings, so I don't know what the gently caress.
Is her phone language set to something other than English US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that if your manually-added songs have slightly different tags, they'll appear as another copy of the album. Which isn't exactly a good solution or anything.

I wouldn't mind the pinning aspect if it didn't take so long. Really the desktop Music Manager needs a way of converting the files and sideloading them to your phone, but I'm really not going to hold my breath on that one.
Music Manager is so bad when it would be so easy to make native PC, Mac, and Linux apps that could fix so many problems in addition to the ones Music Manager as it exists brings on itself.

There's no reason it couldn't be iTunes for Android and manage the music in the cloud and device (and even on the PC if they were really confident), do ADB backups and restore the device, manage MTP file systems on Mac and Linux, and be a front end for managing your sync data within Google. Most of it wouldn't even need to be new except for a better way to see what's synced to Google Music and edit/manage that data locally, the rest would be just coupling the existing back end web services to a central app to view it all in one place. All the components are literally already made and packaged, they're just five separate downloads or webpages you have to know how to find.

• Locked thread