Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Anyone want a ton of snake eggs? axl_farmer in Simpsons Tapped Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

axolotl farmer posted:

Anyone want a ton of snake eggs? axl_farmer in Simpsons Tapped Out.

I could use some, I already have you on my list. I'm triplexpac

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, Space Agency sounds like the perfect game for a airplane trip coming up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Thanks for the sodoku recs guys.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So how do I reliably "spread out the circle" my orbits in this game?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

theblackw0lf posted:

Had an urge to go back and play Space Miner for some reason. Man that's still one of my favorite iphone games. Seem to never get tired of it.

Somehow I always seem to go back and replay Space Miner every time I upgrade a device. A couple weeks ago I bought a new iPad and true to form I ended up playing through Space Miner again. I've gone through that game more times than I can count but I never seem to get tired of it. Just...one...more...level!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SpookyLizard posted:

Which was that? Breaking orbit or landing your living capsule? (gently caress landing)
Moving into the green square in orbit. I can accept that it doesn't want to simulate elliptical orbits, but thrusting directly away from the planet to move into a higher orbit just feels wrong. (Because I'm an accomplished and experienced IRL astronaut, OBVIOUSLY.)

Edit: I am of course exaggerating a bit and this is a pretty sweet game all around.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Yeah, at first I was just speeding up my orbit to try to get farther out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So how do I reliably "spread out the circle" my orbits in this game?

Point your thrust away from the planet and press button.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KarmaticStylee posted:

Like... Exactly the same? Have they no shame?

You must be new to indie gaming. The act of stealing referencing other games' assets is generally done as flattery and such, you see.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

Reciprocator posted:

I don't play world of Warcraft anymore, but this game simulates healing with grid perfectly. It's a lot of fun, is very polished, and the difficulty scales nicely. I'm surprised there isn't any mention of it on TouchArcade yet.

I've actually never played as a healer in WoW or any raid for that matter but have played healer classes here and there in a few games. Man is this game nerve-racking for me.. I have a mixed feeling of wanting to smash my iPad and 1 more round.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thanks to the person who recommended that shark game. It's like Carmageddon with a shark! It's also the first tilt control game I've used on my iPhone that didn't annoy me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Space Agency has iCloud syncing, too. I started playing it on my phone while commuting yesterday and this morning I decided to start redoing all the missions on my iPad. Opened up the app and after a moment saw that everything I had done on my phone was synced, all the way up to the objects currently in space! Pretty awesome, definitely gonna drop for the Unlock All thing just to support the dev.

(I then proceeded to waste two hours in bed playing the drat game on my iPad.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shwqa posted:

I would un-ironically love a space trains game. Setting up trade route and passenger routes between plants. An influx economy randomly making certain route worth more/less. Sometimes a giant space crab comes along and destorys a train. Having pirates trying to steal your ice. Etc etc.

Goonswarm analog ganking your best freighters.

furushotakeru posted:

Somehow I always seem to go back and replay Space Miner every time I upgrade a device. A couple weeks ago I bought a new iPad and true to form I ended up playing through Space Miner again. I've gone through that game more times than I can count but I never seem to get tired of it. Just...one...more...level!

This is so true. Partly because it's a good mission based asteroids/Sinistar game, but mainly because the characters are adorable and hilarious. So well written. Did the dev do any other stuff that's worth looking at?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

Point your thrust away from the planet and press button.

Yeah the game was cool up until this point. I must have tried that training level two dozen times before I figured out that to finish the level you had to ignore everything you know about actual physics.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
If any of you are playing Healer, how in the holy hell do you defeat Council of the Dark Summoners on anything above easy?

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

I remember reading some developer blog about how it wasn't profitable, and neither was the multiplayer spinoff they released later.

http://blog.venan.com/2011/06/up-next-new-direction.html

This makes me sad. I had always assumed since Space Miner was such a cherished title that some day we would see a sequel to it. It's even sadder that the developer seems to have pretty much disappeared after that post. And that his last mention of game development was a somewhat bitter statement, which said in essence "I guess I'll make a freemium game now since even freemium garbage does better than great paid apps."

I'm imagining that he suffered some sort of fugue and now wanders the streets trying to stick Chuck E. Cheese tokens into crevices to unlock IAP :smith:

VVV That's good to hear, even if the game wasn't my cup of tea. Dude deserves all the success he can get.VVV

Pitnicker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 8, 2013

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Pitnicker posted:

I'm imagining that he suffered some sort of fugue and now wanders the streets trying to stick Chuck E. Cheese tokens into crevices to unlock IAP :smith:

Venan is still doing well with Book of Heroes... a energy-based F2P "mmo".

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

withak posted:

Yeah the game was cool up until this point. I must have tried that training level two dozen times before I figured out that to finish the level you had to ignore everything you know about actual physics.

It's a touchscreen operated video game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bobfather posted:

It's a touchscreen operated video game.

Not really an excuse, as it's not hard to simulate basic orbital mechanics. All that changes is where you point the craft when burning the engines.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

xzzy posted:

Not really an excuse, as it's not hard to simulate basic orbital mechanics. All that changes is where you point the craft when burning the engines.

Sure modeling basic physics is easy, but docking objects in orbit would be ridiculously difficult with realistic physics. The entire fuel mechanic would have to be completely reworked.

Some of the later missions already take 10+ minutes to complete at a minimum, which is pushing the boundary already for what an average cellphone gamer would tolerate.

Basically, give it up wannabe astronauts. It's a simple, but entertaining and free video game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I really like Space Agency, and thanks for recommending it. I would just love it more if on reentry I was maintaining a 45 degree angle rather than coming straight down. But eh, not really a dealbreaker I guess. Definitely a fun little timewaster.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Hey guys chill the gently caress out it's a video game. Space Agency rules. Stop sperging about poo poo that doesn't matter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One of the ways that Angry Birds worked so well as a physics game is because all of the mechanics felt real. It took practically no experimenting to get a feel for how stuff would react. Simplifying the way that orbiting rockets work in a cell phone game is understandable, but changing it to something that is almost the opposite of realistic is terrible.

edit: I"m not saying it isn't a fun game, just that they made a pretty silly design decision.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 8, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

withak posted:

One of the ways that Angry Birds worked so well as a physics game is because all of the mechanics felt real. It took practically no experimenting to get a feel for how stuff would react. Simplifying the way that orbiting rockets work in a cell phone game is understandable, but changing it to something that is almost the opposite of realistic is terrible.

You can fly a rocket to space and crash into the moon, guy. Give it a rest. Do you complain about Kerbal being unrealistic because you are kerbals and not humans?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In Space Agency, I cannot get the parts to dock in mission 9. They don't even appear to have to docking bumps unless the payloads are deployed.

What am I missing?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bummey posted:

Do you complain about Kerbal being unrealistic because you are kerbals and not humans?

No because the way the game still feels realistic.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Thwomp posted:

In Space Agency, I cannot get the parts to dock in mission 9. They don't even appear to have to docking bumps unless the payloads are deployed.

What am I missing?

Use a tug?

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Just looked at the App Store Top 200. SurvivalCraft is #1, topping Minecraft, and for some reason Bastion moved up 197 places to reach #4?! That is crazy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bastion's had a price drop to 99c, which would explain it.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

SynthOrange posted:

Bastion's had a price drop to 99c, which would explain it.

I just bought it despite owning it on Steam and never playing it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dragonrah posted:

I just bought it despite owning it on Steam and never playing it.

It's a really great port. I loved the controls and wish more games used them.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm looking at being computer less for a week. Would anyone care to recommend a good time-consuming dungeon crawler I could play on my iPad?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Annexed posted:

It's a really great port. I loved the controls and wish more games used them.

I wish I could say the same about the controls, I just can't get them. It may be because I am using my 5 lb iPad 3 to play the game but it is just not comfortable at all. Once I upgrade to either a retina iPad mini if it gets releases or a lighter full sized iPad I plan to play it. I am even holding off on playing the Steam version I bought because, drat it, I want to play Bastion on the go.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Are any of the gamevil Baseball Superstars games significantly better than the rest or are they all pretty much the same?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm looking at being computer less for a week. Would anyone care to recommend a good time-consuming dungeon crawler I could play on my iPad?

Dungeon Crawlers, Tactical Solider (not warrior), Undercroft, The Quest. Sword and Poker, Robokill 1 and 2.

1 and 2 are top down / isometric turn based strategy RPGs, 3 and 4 are like Eye of the Beholder and Daggerfall respectively, 5 owns hard and 6 is a top down twin stick dungeony? shooter.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Apocron posted:

Are any of the gamevil Baseball Superstars games significantly better than the rest or are they all pretty much the same?

2009, 2010, and maybe 2011 are loving great and not heavy on IAP, but 2012 and BS2 are fulla that poo poo. Unlike the rest of the app store's new IAP trend, those games were made for the Asian markets where they eat that poo poo up and beg for more ways to throw money at video games. You can play them without spending extra money but you're gonna have a bad time because everything will be working against you as they're designed to make you consume paid items very frequently. It's a weird gaming culture they have and these hella grindy Asian games really do not translate well to Western markets.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 8, 2013

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Space Agency was sort of neat but there's simplified physics and then there's this stuff which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. As Bummey might say it's hella dumb.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Bummey posted:

2009, 2010, and maybe 2011 are loving great and not heavy on IAP, but 2012 and BS2 are fulla that poo poo. Unlike the rest of the app store's new IAP trend, those games were made for the Asian markets where they eat that poo poo up and beg for more ways to throw money at video games. You can play them without spending extra money but you're gonna have a bad time because everything will be working against you as they're designed to make you consume paid items very frequently. It's a weird gaming culture they have and these hella grindy Asian games really do not translate well to Western markets.

The decline in quality of those games kills me. I played them religiously until they went IAP. The soccer game was great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

triplexpac posted:

I could use some, I already have you on my list. I'm triplexpac

Done.

• Locked thread