Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chris Christie underwent lap-band stomach surgery in February. He says the motivation was to stay alive for his kids upon reaching 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Joementum posted:

Chris Christie underwent lap-band stomach surgery in February. He says the motivation was to stay alive for his kids upon reaching 50.

But he will have to get all new monogrammed performance fleece made! One of the greatest things about America is that sweet "Chris Christie: Governor" jacket.

Kingsbury2
Apr 24, 2013

by angerbot
I think Chelsea is more electable than Hilary. This is not a troll, this is an honest to god gut feeling. I think she would be 35 by 2016. Her husband is also Jewish, which wouldn't but a huge campaign issue to anyone who is not a racist, but it's just an indication that she herself is probably not a racist... Am I just paranoid thinking that there might be people in positions of power and influence who are racists? Not in a Hitler sense, but more in a "this person is a racist and has access to more than a million dollars in liquid assets" sense.

Maybe not even racist, just bigoted. Or is there no real difference?

What I am saying is, a good way to check someone off a list for potential presidential candidates is if they are a racist or not. I would imagine that might exclude some people living in the US right off the bat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Kingsbury2 posted:

I think Chelsea is more electable than Hilary. This is not a troll, this is an honest to god gut feeling. I think she would be 35 by 2016. Her husband is also Jewish, which wouldn't but a huge campaign issue to anyone who is not a racist, but it's just an indication that she herself is probably not a racist... Am I just paranoid thinking that there might be people in positions of power and influence who are racists? Not in a Hitler sense, but more in a "this person is a racist and has access to more than a million dollars in liquid assets" sense.

What I am saying is, a good way to check someone off a list for potential presidential candidates is if they are a racist or not. I would imagine that might exclude some people living in the US right off the bat.

My next door neighbor's husband is also Jewish. Let's vote for her. Or if she really has to be a president's daughter then let's vote for Caroline Kennedy.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 7, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brigadier Sockface posted:

My next door neighbor's husband is also Jewish. Let's vote for her.

Who's she related to? More nepotism for the nepotist God.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kingsbury2 posted:

Three years before 2008, Obama was a Senator. Chelsea Clinton may be popular enough and may have access to a top-rate campaign team, but she simply has not spent any time in elected office. Not that she wouldn't be prepared for the job, it would just be such a major item that she would be out of the primary by spring. Get her into a senate seat for a few years, face time pushing good causes, gladhand the folks who need gladhanding, and kiss the rings that need kissing. Then you aren't just riding mom and dad's Rolodex even though you're clearly benefiting from it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Chelsea Clinton is by all accounts a rather lazy young woman. (said the goon)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Guys, it's career idiot provocateur and shitposter vilepilot you're replying to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Chelsea Clinton is by all accounts a rather lazy young woman. (said the goon)

I'm not saying she's lazy, I'm saying she doesn't have the kind of relation to electoral politics that's a de facto requirement these days. It's not like she sits around doing nothing, she just hasn't ever taken an elected office.

E: \/ oh, my bad. Misinterpreted it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 7, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Entire Universe posted:

I'm not saying she's lazy, I'm saying she doesn't have the kind of relation to electoral politics that's a de facto requirement these days. It's not like she sits around doing nothing, she just hasn't ever taken an elected office.

I'm saying she's lazy. Her "job" with NBC didn't have to be a joke, but her work ethic made it one. If she had no family connections she'd be posting in the Lost Generation thread.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 7, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah, when your last name is Clinton and NBC's news staff still despises you, that probably says a lot.

I got to see Chelsea speak several times in the primary 2008 campaign trail and she was pretty good at that. But I don't think she has the heart to be a candidate. Usually, political families put pressure on those interested in politics to get an elected office or two by now, or at least be involved in campaigning. Chelsea really hasn't been involved outside of her mother's run for Senate and POTUS.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I don't know if I'd blame her getting puff pieces solely on her. Just look at what they did to Ann Curry, who at one point was a legit journalist.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Stop feeding trolls you dummies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the magazine arrangement in Rand Paul's Senate office right now.

Subtle.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

watt par posted:

I don't know if I'd blame her getting puff pieces solely on her. Just look at what they did to Ann Curry, who at one point was a legit journalist.

Yeah, NBC doesn't strike me as the most incisive, unbiased arbiter of talent. Ann Curry got hosed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

menino posted:

Yeah, NBC doesn't strike me as the most incisive, unbiased arbiter of talent. Ann Curry got hosed.

That whole fiasco and Matt Lauer turning heel on the world is probably worth its own thread somewhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joementum posted:

Subtle.

Speaking of Rand Paul, he's putting some time in Iowa tomorrow appearing on a public radio program.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Subtle.

Speaking of "are there racists in positions of power and influence" ...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Rand Paul, he's putting some time in Iowa tomorrow appearing on a public radio program.

Public radio? Prepare for the freep demographic to write him off as a total RINO (if they haven't already for some previous minor deviation, I lose track).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

Speaking of "are there racists in positions of power and influence" ...

Hey now, Rand Paul doesn't have a racist bone in his body. He just thinks that whole "letting black people into restaurants" thing was not the place for the government to interfere with business.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Joementum posted:

Sorry Chris, but I for one don't believe you. The lap band is the clincher for me about his intentions - Christie literally agreed with the goons who posted 300 pages of analysis about his weight.

What's the bet he's been playing this on high repeat for the last few weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxuThNgl3YA

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Christie also consulted Rex Ryan about his surgery, which leads to some concerns over the advisers he'd choose in government.

He also put out this video yesterday featuring a lot of media celebrities and his quest for his fleece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaCSl-upN2E

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I was just telling a friend of mine that Christie was unelectable because he was fat and all the other republicans hate him, then she told me he was having a press conference for his lap band surgery and I pretty much went, "welp". Hope the rest of the republicans hate him enough because someone like him in the White House kind of scares me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm just glad this might mean we won't get those lovely fat-shaming jokes on Daily Show and Colbert Report now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

I'm just glad this might mean we won't get those lovely fat-shaming jokes on Daily Show and Colbert Report now.

Not to worry, he'll have gained all the weight back by 2015.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Talk about the Daily Show and Chris Christie in the White House? Obviously gotta follow that up with Taft 2.0.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cheekio posted:

Talk about the Daily Show and Chris Christie in the White House? Obviously gotta follow that up with Taft 2.0.

Christie's at least Taft 4.0. Glad the guy seems to be taking an interest in backing off the obesity cliff, but god drat. Taft probably weighed less than one of Christie's asscheeks.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

The Entire Universe posted:

Christie's at least Taft 4.0. Glad the guy seems to be taking an interest in backing off the obesity cliff, but god drat. Taft probably weighed less than one of Christie's asscheeks.

Taft was 330 when he left the White House. Christie is probably right around that, maybe 350.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

rscott posted:

I was just telling a friend of mine that Christie was unelectable because he was fat and all the other republicans hate him, then she told me he was having a press conference for his lap band surgery and I pretty much went, "welp". Hope the rest of the republicans hate him enough because someone like him in the White House kind of scares me.

Is he that much more frightening than any other prospective 2016 contender, or is it just that he might actually win a general election?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

Is he that much more frightening than any other prospective 2016 contender, or is it just that he might actually win a general election?

The former, in my view. I don't believe he could possibly win a GOP primary, and I don't think he'd have a chance against Hillary even if he did. I could see him winning the presidency if he escapes relatively unbloodied from the primary and faces a weak Democrat (neither of which are very likely to happen, since I'm firmly of the opinion that HRC will run and win easily).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

We already have someone like him in the White House though?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chris Christie is just like Barack Obama!

"We're turning into a paternalistic entitlement society. That will not just bankrupt us financially, it will bankrupt us morally."

"[Ending abortion] is an issue whose time has come."

"I did veto a bill on gay marriage, not on gay rights."

"You, the people in this room [a Koch Brothers seminar], are the modern day patriots who will save this country or let it go by the wayside."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Christie never survives a Republican primary, even without weight issues. He has a hair-trigger temper and that Jersey Shore BS doesn't fly anywhere but New Jersey.

He will inevitably flip out on one of his Tea Party opponents in a debate when they bring up the fact that he acted like a human being during the cleanup for Hurricane Sandy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm inclined to say that Chris Christie's primary campaign goes down in flames, as once the polling indicates he's in first place, every other candidate is going to jump on the photos of him shaking hands with Obama. Then, the Republican primary is going to turn into "who hates Obama the most," and Christie getting torn down by all the rest of the candidates.

If we use the typical Republican guideline of "whoever came in second last time is going to win this time," it's looking like our 2016 Republican presidential nominee will probably be Rick Santorum.* As a liberal, I'm looking forward to it.

*Past performance does not guarantee future results.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

Christie never survives a Republican primary, even without weight issues. He has a hair-trigger temper and that Jersey Shore BS doesn't fly anywhere but New Jersey.

He will inevitably flip out on one of his Tea Party opponents in a debate when they bring up the fact that he acted like a human being during the cleanup for Hurricane Sandy.

Americans love being ordered around and Chris Christie is "guy who stands up in the lecture hall and schools the professor" chain e-mail in human form. Bill Clinton pulled that move to his advantage any number of times (usually when somebody questioned his numbers).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Americans love being ordered around and Chris Christie is "guy who stands up in the lecture hall and schools the professor" chain e-mail in human form. Bill Clinton pulled that move to his advantage any number of times (usually when somebody questioned his numbers).

Yeah, you guys are really underestimating his appeal. Romney wasn't so much moderate as he was uninspiring. He just comes off as spineless. Christie is going to own every debate and get cheers from just about everyone. If he loses the primary, then I think it's evident the GOP has finally eaten its own face off.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, you guys are really underestimating his appeal. Romney wasn't so much moderate as he was uninspiring. He just comes off as spineless. Christie is going to own every debate and get cheers from just about everyone. If he loses the primary, then I think it's evident the GOP has finally eaten its own face off.

Quite a bit of the primary is dictated by tactics, rather than strategy. We don't have a primary calendar for 3 years in the future, but I imagine that Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina are going to be early. A big part of Christie's success depends on how he can do in those states: especially the direct, person-to-person contact in Iowa. Iowa and South Carolina are both pretty conservative, and they might not respond to the attitude of someone who is as "New Jersey" as Chris Christie.

Of course Chris Christie has a shot, but there is a lot of little things that can throw off a primary campaign.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Christie has pushed for gun legislation in NJ. That wouldn't have doomed him in the last primary, but if the gun issue stays around, it could hurt him pretty hard next time around.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In a new NBC/WSJ poll Hillary beats McDonnell by 11% in VA and Christie by 11% in NJ. McDonnell beats Biden by 7% in VA and Christie beats Biden by 11% in NJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

In a new NBC/WSJ poll Hillary beats McDonnell by 11% in VA and Christie by 11% in NJ. McDonnell beats Biden by 7% in VA and Christie beats Biden by 11% in NJ.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. There are never any guarantees, but the right should be terrified of a Clinton run. She is well positioned, at this premature date, to clobber the opposition. The standard racism won't be nearly as potent a weapon against her, and she will likely poach off a few percent of the GOP female vote (just my gut feeling). This could lead to comfortable margins in states like VA and OH and a win going away.

• Locked thread