Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

No, that was actually kinda racist, so that's a completely different thing. This is more like the charges of anti-semitism.

Yeah, Bell didn't mean anything by this one, I meant that the similarity is posters unwilling to consider the possibility that bearded Marxist saint Steve Bell ever did a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, Bell didn't mean anything by this one, I meant that the similarity is posters unwilling to consider the possibility that bearded Marxist saint Steve Bell ever did a bad thing.
So nothing is wrong about this cartoon, but we should take a moment to think about how much of a poo poo Bell is just apropos of nothing? Weird. I guess I'll start: his views on matters outside the UK are often simplistic and liberal.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Also for some reason, when I try to remember what Bell looks like, I only see George RR Martin. They don't even look alike. It's weird.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

R. Mute posted:

Also for some reason, when I try to remember what Bell looks like, I only see George RR Martin. They don't even look alike. It's weird.

Is "people with beards all look alike" a new kind of racism?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not sure how many times I have to say that I believe it wasn't deliberate before you stop strawmanning. The word I used was "unfortunate". This does not mean that it isn't worthy of comment or criticism.

R Mute though, mate, gently caress off. "You're trying to be offended" is a bunch of poo poo trotted out by apologists of discrimination, which is exactly what you are.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

So nothing is wrong about this cartoon, but we should take a moment to think about how much of a poo poo Bell is just apropos of nothing? Weird. I guess I'll start: his views on matters outside the UK are often simplistic and liberal.

The mugs on his website are not competitively priced!

Seriously though, if you see the word "niglet" the gears ought to start turning for a few seconds, at least. "Nige" doesn't sound like "Nig" for example. But my critical process absolved him in this case :)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

I'm not sure how many times I have to say that I believe it wasn't deliberate before you stop strawmanning. The word I used was "unfortunate". This does not mean that it isn't worthy of comment or criticism.

R Mute though, mate, gently caress off. "You're trying to be offended" is a bunch of poo poo trotted out by apologists of discrimination, which is exactly what you are.
So the cartoon wasn't racist, nothing racist was meant by it yet if I defend it from your hand wringing I'm an apologist of discrimination? Ironically, you call me an apologist of discrimination because I used a seemingly innocent phrase in an innocent manner which is sometimes also used by not-so-innocent people in a not-so-innocent manner - kinda like comparing Bell's innocent use of the word with the not-so-innocent variant. At least you're consistent.

Also, the word you used was 'careless idiot', as if there's any fault with Bell on this one.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

R. Mute posted:

Also, the word you used was 'careless idiot', as if there's any fault with Bell on this one.

My very first post on the subject:

mfcrocker posted:

Bell, that's a reasonably unfortunate thing to be calling him :ohdear:

If you could stop misrepresenting my argument at every available opportunity that would be great. Also no, "you're trying to be offended" has never been used innocently. It is used purely to diminish and dismiss the validity of someone's offense to a particular subject in order to shut them up.

SedanChair posted:

Seriously though, if you see the word "niglet" the gears ought to start turning for a few seconds, at least. "Nige" doesn't sound like "Nig" for example. But my critical process absolved him in this case :)

This is a view I share.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

If you could stop misrepresenting my argument at every available opportunity that would be great.
Sure, I saw that. I'm not saying you're calling Bell a racist. I'm saying that you're somehow convinced that Bell should have known the unfortunate nature of this word, while it isn't as self-evident as you seem to imagine. I sincerely doubt you would have called him out on the word if you hadn't known the slur beforehand - the deduction you and Sedan Chair mention just doesn't spring up in people's minds without that foreknowledge and especially not seeing as the connection to 'piglet' is sitting in its way.

quote:

Also no, "you're trying to be offended" has never been used innocently. It is used purely to diminish and dismiss the validity of someone's offense to a particular subject in order to shut them up.
Maybe it's the language barrier playing a part here, but I'm merely trying to say that while you're no doubt offended - regardless of its validity -, you're reaching in your efforts to justify it. Specifically, the thought that one would come to the conclusion that 'niglet' is a racist term without knowing of the actual slur seems a bit out there. But I guess using that phrase is haram, so I'm just going to join the American KKK or something - it's where I belong.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mfcrocker posted:

If you could stop misrepresenting my argument at every available opportunity that would be great. Also no, "you're trying to be offended" has never been used innocently. It is used purely to diminish and dismiss the validity of someone's offense to a particular subject in order to shut them up.

Except that it does seem like you're really trying to be offended here because you're equivocating all over the place about how it wasn't supposed to be racist but it actually almost was but he probably didn't mean it but he should be criticized for it anyway despite there being nothing to criticize him for but he shouldn't have done used a word that was almost a different word even though no one is really going to make that connection and if they do they'll dismiss it as harmless because they're not perpetually outraged

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
But seriously guys don't use words that might be slurs without looking them up first, I looked up every word in this sentence to make sure they weren't offensive as I wrote it and oh my god as I explain it I have to look up more and more words and I am creating a nightmarish ouroboros formed entirely from my own ability to understand context e\gndio\sfgpfin

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Crane Fist posted:

Except that it does seem like you're really trying to be offended here because you're equivocating all over the place about how it wasn't supposed to be racist but it actually almost was but he probably didn't mean it but he should be criticized for it anyway despite there being nothing to criticize him for but he shouldn't have done used a word that was almost a different word even though no one is really going to make that connection and if they do they'll dismiss it as harmless because they're not perpetually outraged

Crane Fist posted:

But seriously guys don't use words that might be slurs without looking them up first, I looked up every word in this sentence to make sure they weren't offensive as I wrote it and oh my god as I explain it I have to look up more and more words and I am creating a nightmarish ouroboros formed entirely from my own ability to understand context e\gndio\sfgpfin

That's possibly one of the better strawman arguments I've seen. 5/5 for effort, 0/5 for content.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

You're really using that cry of 'strawman' to diminish and dismiss the validity of someone's offense to a particular post in order to shut them up.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mfcrocker posted:

That's possibly one of the better strawman arguments I've seen. 5/5 for effort, 0/5 for content.

I'm glad you respected the effort and I really think you would enjoy the content a lot more if you would learn to accept that someone thinking you're being an idiot doesn't have to involve strawmen.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

R. Mute posted:

You're really using that cry of 'strawman' to diminish and dismiss the validity of someone's offense to a particular post in order to shut them up.

It's almost like it's a valid logical fallacy! Surprising that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crane Fist posted:

If it bugs you that much consider yourself outed.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Happy birthday, Fluo!

Also, while searching for this image, came across a Telegraph article from March: "Has Steve Bell of the Guardian ever met an ethnic stereotype he didn't like?"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

If it bugs you that much consider yourself outed.

As what

Cloud Potato posted:

Also, while searching for this image, came across a Telegraph article from March: "Has Steve Bell of the Guardian ever met an ethnic stereotype he didn't like?"

Bell likes everyone, that's the kind of Santa-esqe man he is! :3:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ugh next election I'm voting UKIP; A British thread for British posters

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

It's almost like it's a valid logical fallacy! Surprising that.
It was a joke. I'm sorry.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

R. Mute posted:

It was a joke. I'm sorry.

Like on Top Gear?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Like on Top Gear?
See, we can always find each other in the loving arms of Stewart Lee. It's a safe space - and according to the London Evening Standard he's tediously politically correct, so it's all good.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

Ugh next election I'm voting UKIP; A British thread for British posters

Leg it back to the megathread this ones had it!

We'll parachute Fluo back in in a few days to give us the all clear.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Crane Fist posted:

Ouroboros is Ulithian for "paki" and the 3,000 people who knew that (all of whom obviously read this thread) were very offended. Kindly keep your racism out of here.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:

"Sir Alex Ferguson has announced his retirement."

quote:

“We face ruin. Alex Ferguson has retired!”

Express:

Don't look at the camera, horses! Look at the fences!

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
Once again, he demonstrates that he actually can do a competent caricature of a person if he so chooses; so why-oh-why is his Cameron so god-awful!?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

hazza posted:

Once again, he demonstrates that he actually can do a competent caricature of a person if he so chooses; so why-oh-why is his Cameron so god-awful!?

I presume because Cameron is so devoid of positive character that to do so would make him grotesque.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
What the gently caress is up with those Guardsmen? He's not even trying with them, I guess making Fergie look vaguely human used up the last scraps of his artistic talent.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I actually like them. Making them have no eyes turns them into hench-men. Blind enforcers of the Queen's will. Plus look at the excessive number of Champagne bottles - speaking to both greed and alcoholism on the part of the Queen. Clearly Paul Thomas is more subversive than you guys give him credit for.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Milotic posted:

I actually like them. Making them have no eyes turns them into hench-men. Blind enforcers of the Queen's will. Plus look at the excessive number of Champagne bottles - speaking to both greed and alcoholism on the part of the Queen. Clearly Paul Thomas is more subversive than you guys give him credit for.

They look like some sort of patriotic Doctor Who monster. And I'm also wondering why the one bottle is labelled "The Widow".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm pretty certain Paul Thomas is kept locked in a dark basement somewhere in the offices of The Express with a pack of felt tips, some paper and nothing else. Every night they give him the next day's headlines and force him to draw a vaguely related cartoon, and the quality and content of what he produces depends almost entirely on the exact makeup of the drug cocktail his handlers are feeding him that particular day. The birds he hides in each cartoon are his way of clinging to some small last expression of physical and intellectual freedom, drawing them with a carefully concealed fine-point pen in the short interval between one dose of hallucinogens wearing off and the next one being forced upon him.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

This is brilliant. I want to see him draw one with Cameron as Laocoön

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hong XiuQuan posted:

This is brilliant. I want to see him draw one with Cameron as Laocoön
Your wish etc.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Also have Steve Bell's Cameron Laocoön!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Tories and the EU: Commons expected to vote on amendment expressing regret over lack of referendum bill in Queen's speech."

Telegraph:

Tories 'n' Europe; also The Great Gatsby movie. I think.

Independent:

Nick Clegg vows to block childcare reforms. :stonk: Tory Babies, they'll make your dreams come true...

Daily Mail:

"In the Queen’s speech it was suggested that people leaving prison should be mentored for up to one year to prevent reoffending."

quote:

“Hello. Progress report on Government’s “Mentor an ex-con for a year scheme”……..Day one…..”

Express:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I'm pretty certain Paul Thomas is kept locked in a dark basement somewhere in the offices of The Express with a pack of felt tips, some paper and nothing else. Every night they give him the next day's headlines and force him to draw a vaguely related cartoon, and the quality and content of what he produces depends almost entirely on the exact makeup of the drug cocktail his handlers are feeding him that particular day. The birds he hides in each cartoon are his way of clinging to some small last expression of physical and intellectual freedom, drawing them with a carefully concealed fine-point pen in the short interval between one dose of hallucinogens wearing off and the next one being forced upon him.
You forgot the solitary picture on the wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUKNPkXjnW8&t=47s

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Yesterday's was such an effort post that it bore tracing over and botching, now to the pub

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Haha, that swan is just randomly chilling on a Lord's back with his shades on :cool:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Since he's such a poo poo cartoonist I can understand why he feels the need to spell out the joke, but why does he need a caption and a speech bubble explaining it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The caption's just "the context" which I've seen a fair few cartoons give, and they always manage to adumbrate a headline. So he only explained the joke once.

• Locked thread