Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

petewhitley posted:

The decline in quality of those games kills me. I played them religiously until they went IAP. The soccer game was great too.

If you had to pick one of the soccer games to play, which would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Duranki posted:

Just looked at the App Store Top 200. SurvivalCraft is #1, topping Minecraft, and for some reason Bastion moved up 197 places to reach #4?! That is crazy.

I'm so glad SurvivalCraft is doing well. I was continuing to explore this massive cave system I had found, and unlike Minecraft where caves are always full of monsters, SurvivalCraft occasionally puts a bear down in there. Somehow it's just as scary. I'd cleared out most of the passages, found yet another branch that I was lighting up when I see a movement in the darkness and a bear comes charging towards me. Almost screamed in fear. On the train. Only just caught myself in time, but I was so into it that the adrenaline kicked in and I almost embarrassed myself in public over a game made of blocks.

Best four dollars I have spent this year.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

petewhitley posted:

The decline in quality of those games kills me. I played them religiously until they went IAP. The soccer game was great too.

What kills me is 9 Innings suffered the same fate. If I could get an updated roster and retina graphics but the same core experience for 9 Innings 2011 I would buy it again for like 5 dollars.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

loudog999 posted:

If you had to pick one of the soccer games to play, which would it be?

2011. The first one had kind of a simplicity I liked a lot but they made several improvements for the sequel. They then made a poo poo-ton of mistakes for the following sequel.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

Use a tug?

I am. The space station part won't dock.

Edit: Turns out, I had to park the station module right next to the station, release it and then rotate the station itself to get it to dock. Really weird and un-intuitive.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 8, 2013

Fightin' Yoda
Aug 4, 2004

Kick yer arse I will, ya wee bastard.

axolotl farmer posted:

Anyone want a ton of snake eggs? axl_farmer in Simpsons Tapped Out.

I wouldn't mind some, if you can. I'll add you now--I'm FightinYoda on TO.

EDIT:

triplexpac posted:

I could use some, I already have you on my list. I'm triplexpac

Added you, too.

Fightin' Yoda fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 8, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Survival craft can't have good controls, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Survival craft can't have good controls, right?

It's a first person game on a touch screen. The only thing it could possibly have is "good controls, for a touch screen".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

My hero, thanks!

... Only 1500 eggs to go till I get Willie! :suicide:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Bummey posted:

2009, 2010, and maybe 2011 are loving great and not heavy on IAP, but 2012 and BS2 are fulla that poo poo. Unlike the rest of the app store's new IAP trend, those games were made for the Asian markets where they eat that poo poo up and beg for more ways to throw money at video games. You can play them without spending extra money but you're gonna have a bad time because everything will be working against you as they're designed to make you consume paid items very frequently. It's a weird gaming culture they have and these hella grindy Asian games really do not translate well to Western markets.

I didn't even see 2011 when they all went on sale. I started playing 2013 and noticed the heavy amount of IAP, but stuck with it due to everyone hailing it. I'll try out 2010 instead and see if it is a bit more fun. Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fallom posted:

It's a first person game on a touch screen. The only thing it could possibly have is "good controls, for a touch screen".

I just can't imagine building anything if its anything like the movement/crafting in Minecraft iOS

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I just can't imagine building anything if its anything like the movement/crafting in Minecraft iOS

There are some differences in the default controls, like you tap and hold on the block you are digging up rather than aim a cursor at it and tapping a button. Likewise for placing blocks, lean in with a thumb or finger and tap where you want it to go. Took a little getting used to, but it's great once it clicks.

Honestly if you struggled with MCPE controls, this may not be much better for you but it is so much better in every other way that it's worth a look. If survival is your thing, combat is downplayed. Instead of monsters rushing at you and trying to bump you to death you get wolves and bears, and they seem to only aggro if you get within a certain radius, and running the hell away is usually the most viable strategy and they'll back off after a while.

The dev is working on improving the (non-default) split touch controls after everyone in the world complained about them not being enough like MCPE so he's trying it make it as user friendly as possible. I'm just still so amazed that this guy got it running so well, and with so many features, and in such a short time, on three separate operating systems. It's witchcraft I tell you.

Fightin' Yoda
Aug 4, 2004

Kick yer arse I will, ya wee bastard.

triplexpac posted:

My hero, thanks!

I'm still 1200 from Duff Stadium, and I have 434 eggs right now. Wanna do an egg swap?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I uninstalled Tapped Out, it became a chore. There is literally no "play" aspect at all, at least with Tribez (also became a chore, also uninstalled) there is a supply and production management aspect, and Clash of Clans has attack and defense. The only good thing about Tapped Out is how overt it is in making fun of you for spending time and money on a game with no game aspects whatsoever. Also it's slow, stuttery and glitchy on the new iPad.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
One of my friends IRL revealed to me that he has spent over $200 on it last night and I could not stop loving laughing. I asked to see his city (not really sure how the "game" works but I have a pretty good idea) and it totally looks like poo poo, too!!!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

KGBAgent185 posted:

I didn't even see 2011 when they all went on sale. I started playing 2013 and noticed the heavy amount of IAP, but stuck with it due to everyone hailing it. I'll try out 2010 instead and see if it is a bit more fun. Thanks!

Yeah. :( You have to know what you're getting into when you play a Korean game. Baseball Superstars is actually a good game by Western standards, but there's just enough Korean anime grindy pay wall stuff to frustrate the experience in the early games, and waaaaaay too much in the more developed sequels.

9 innings is pretty good, as is other baseball game I can't recall the name of right now. I played the poo poo out of these games, and I strongly dislike real baseball, too. Bores me to tears. Literally. Tears. I'll cry.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
For Space Agency, a new favorite, I've been getting about half silver and half gold for the training and missions, so here's a few tips for people having trouble, particularly on the iPhone version:
  • Keeping under budget is much easier once you realize that the (small stage) tugs are essentially second-stage rockets that are maneuverable. They may barely get you into orbit but they will, and if they can do that they can usually get you past orbit as well.
  • Pay attention when building rockets, because if the second stage shows a downwards red arrow, there is no way in hell you're getting to orbit, so save yourself the minute or two of a doomed launch.
  • When initially launching, I find it's best to ignite between when the voice starts to say "four" and just as it finishes. Any later and your rocket will hover. Any earlier and you're wasting precious first-stage fuel.
  • As you ascending and have to roll to the right, it's better not to end up in the dead centre of the desired pitch but as far left as possible while still green. When you switch from first-stage, to jettisoning the connector, to second-stage, your rocket will naturally fall to the right, and when you re-engage the engine you'll still be in the green this way. Alternately, get dead center on pitch but at the last second juke a bit to the left before starting the switch to second-stage.
  • For iPhone, it's not clear but in order to see the nav points when you're in orbit you need to pinch-to-zoom really far out before they show up.
  • Also not really clear in-game but when you're working with the space station, you have to tap on the component of the station you want to select it, in order to then undock the selected module.
  • There's quite a few missions dealing with the space station so get used to figuring out a routine approach. I find that I leave Earth's orbit just barely in the red for velocity, hopefully mostly on course, and then immediately do a slow rotation so the main burner is facing the distant station. You can thrust to the side during this rotation to make a minor course correction without wasting too much fuel. Once the waypoint distance indicator hits about 45 and falling, I engage the burner to slow down and usually arrive at the station pretty efficiently that way, which is essential to hit gold-level time limits.
  • Eventually for silver/gold the biggest obstacle, besides finding a combination in your budget that will actually get to orbit and beyond, is not overusing your maneuvering jets. Plan ahead and slowly move while you have time.
  • A good combination past the first few missions when you start getting heavy payloads is combining the medium stage Black Arrow (first-stage engine) with small stage components on top. These will usually be the tugs or the Delta II (second-stage engine), which is also has maneuver jets.
  • On missions with a splashdown, if you're having a hard time with the descent, remember that the maneuver jets often give momentum that will make you unbalanced on the other direction if you overdo it.
  • When docking, it's pretty picky on speed but not that picky on alignment. I've been off by 10-15 degrees to either side and it docks just fine.

If anyone has any specific questions, I think I have the hang of it though I'm only on Mission 10. There's also mission walkthrough videos on Youtube which might be helpful (which is how I figured out you have to tap-to-select the space station for Mission 6).

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 8, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Space Agency :argh: Why is your engine button so small, and easy to slide off track with when I touch it.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I just got an iPhone and got around to playing Outwitters. You know those times when you discover a great band, and then you go to their Wikipedia page only to read they broke up two years ago? It's like that. I've never liked an iOS game as much as this (I know there are other asynchronous strategy games like it, but the simplicity and production values are what really made me love it), and it saddens me that it was such a financial flop that the devs won't be producing more content for it. I made sure to throw them some money by buying all the other armies and I'm still enjoying it immensely. I just hope the community doesn't die soon. :smith:

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."

Tempura Wizard posted:

I just got an iPhone and got around to playing Outwitters. You know those times when you discover a great band, and then you go to their Wikipedia page only to read they broke up two years ago? It's like that. I've never liked an iOS game as much as this (I know there are other asynchronous strategy games like it, but the simplicity and production values are what really made me love it), and it saddens me that it was such a financial flop that the devs won't be producing more content for it. I made sure to throw them some money by buying all the other armies and I'm still enjoying it immensely. I just hope the community doesn't die soon. :smith:

That game suffered from coming out after Hero Academy got fairly popular. To me Hero Academy was a better game and there was no real reason to move over to another asynchronous strategy game like that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

porktree posted:

Space Agency :argh: Why is your engine button so small, and easy to slide off track with when I touch it.

Because that's what real astronauts have to put up with!!!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

I've tried so hard to love MCPE and (for a much shorter time, obviously) SurvivalCraft, but I find those styles of first person controls to be such a pain on iOS. They're by no means unplayable, but they certainly get tedious and unenjoyable for me in a hurry. If your PC screen/control combo is a magical window into the joy of Minecraft, the iPad combo is a smaller window coated in your grandma's used Vaseline, and also she gave you her crippling arthritis. If I want Minecraft all that much--which I often do--I'll just make some time to go sit down and play real Minecraft.

On mobile devices, I much prefer MC-inspired games like The Blockheads. That dev was smart and sensible enough to keep many of the awesome elements of MC intact while thinking, "Hmmm, what elements of the classic gameplay formula should I change to make this as smooth, accessible of an iOS experience as possible?"

In theory, MC on iOS is a mind-blowing, awesome thing. Come on, it's loving living, life-sized Legos in your pocket. But in practice, day in and day out, MCPE and its first-person clones languish in a folder on the back page of my iPad, while The Blockheads sees the light of day whenever I'm lounging around and get the hankering to build a new flaming menagerie wing onto my evil cave fortress of rad doom.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 8, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I do enjoy space agency. I haven't had this much failing since dwarf fortress

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
For Space Agency mission 5, what does the rocket need to look like to get 2 re supply modules into space?

Edit: didn't realize you could switch back and forth between vehicles. This game needs a manual.

Samara fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 8, 2013

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Kenny, I've saved your post to a notepad note on my phone. I'm sure I'll need it once I get past the first mission. :haw:

Space Agency wouldn't be nearly as awe-inspiring if I couldn't listen to music, while playing it.

I get so psyched up when I'm listening to dubstep and the bass drops right at the perfect time (IE: Right as the launch restraints release and the rocket starts to take off)

bobfather posted:

give it up wannabe astronauts. It's a simple, but entertaining and free video game.

Seriously, it was about time! Considering you can mix and match random parts from random, historic space shuttles, I'd say there's really no need for sperg levels of realism and physics.

I've just been dicking around with free-range mode or whatever the name of "free flight" is. Having a total blast.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Pointing the rocket in the right direction is not 'sperg levels of realistic physics'.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gonna make a Mario game where pressing the jump button pushes you through the floor, because believability in games has been deemed "spergy".

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Samara posted:

For Space Agency mission 5, what does the rocket need to look like to get 2 re supply modules into space?

Edit: didn't realize you could switch back and forth between vehicles. This game needs a manual.
Build 2 identical rockets, Mercury first-stage, connector, resupply module, aero fairing, will get you under the gold budget. The game does mention that you can build 2 rockets per mission but doesn't make it obvious that you can switch between them in real time. Again, the space station "switch" is even less intuitive than that.

cname posted:

Kenny, I've saved your post to a notepad note on my phone. I'm sure I'll need it once I get past the first mission. :haw:
Glad I could help! I'm now on Mission 14 and making an exact replica of the Saturn V is totally sweet, even to a non-space-nerd like me. I did get a weird glitch on Mission 12 where I got a silver even though my second probe-ship was between the purple planet and the sun... huh.

As a time-saver on Mission 13, they are talking about making one ship with a dockable crew module on top of an Apollo service module, not 2 separate ships. It is here I learned to closely examine the pictures in the briefings.

When returning a crew module back into Earth's orbit for a splashdown, it's much easier to slow until orange velocity before re-entering orbit, rather than waiting to be in orbit to do so. Much less risk of hitting satellites as well. The crew module has a little bit of maneuver jets to help with this as you don't get a lot of juice to take you from the space station to Earth (for Mission 13 at least).

cname posted:

Seriously, it was about time! Considering you can mix and match random parts from random, historic space shuttles, I'd say there's really no need for sperg levels of realism and physics.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Pointing the rocket in the right direction is not 'sperg levels of realistic physics'.
There's also the small matter of that one purple planet between the Earth and the sun, and how you can fly to the moon in about 2 minutes and the sun in something like three and a half.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
So, goddamn Space Agency mission 15 is going to be a DOOZY to get a gold medal. You have to dock two pieces of the Voyager in orbit, leave Earth orbit and slingshot around the moon and three other planets on a single tank of fuel.

I'm (now) skilled enough to do the above pretty easily, but the time limit is crazy. I did it in 16+ minutes but the gold medal is 14 minutes or less.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kenny Logins posted:

There's also the small matter of that one purple planet between the Earth and the sun, and how you can fly to the moon in about 2 minutes and the sun in something like three and a half.

These are totally different things. One is a fantasy setting (and probably time dilation because otherwise you'd be bored as hell), the other is a total bastardisation of intuitive physics. It's like if the birds in Angry Birds flew off at 90 degrees to where you expected them too.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Shut up and play rocket ships. Jeeeeeeez

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

My hero, thanks!

Snakes. 1500 snakes. That's probably more like 2200 eggs.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

:siren::siren::siren: guysguysguysguysguys :siren::siren::siren:

Remember that game, Hope: the Other Side of Adventure, that sounded really cool but mysteriously disappeared from the app store? It's back!

http://appshopper.com/games/hope-the-other-side-of-adventure

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hope-other-side-adventure/id634064418?mt=8

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So what would be the correct maneuver to make orbital maneuvering? Genuinely curious cause I don't know.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

These are totally different things. One is a fantasy setting (and probably time dilation because otherwise you'd be bored as hell), the other is a total bastardisation of intuitive physics. It's like if the birds in Angry Birds flew off at 90 degrees to where you expected them too.
Fair enough, but there are many other oversimplifications/bastardizations of physics as well. The sun is treated identically to the Earth in terms of entering/leaving its orbit rather than being a supermassive object which all other things orbit. All planets are treated as being of roughly the same size and density and as 2D objects. You don't have to calculate the trajectory of a splashdown so as not to slam into the cruel, unyielding ground. There are a lot of oversimplifications because it makes the game more fun to play. If you approach the orbital physics issue not as "how it really works" but as "how it should work to make the gameplay fun" there's no problem with the way they went.

I think your anger bird example is overexaggerating because you're talking about a nearly unplayable game or at least a deliberate dick-move obfuscation of the control scheme. The physics in question are wrong but totally playable and are intuitive within the confines of the game. Space Agency has many other non-intuitive aspects that are actually detrimental to gameplay and which could turn away newcomers but orbital physics really isn't among them.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 8, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Det_no posted:

So what would be the correct maneuver to make orbital maneuvering? Genuinely curious cause I don't know.

Someone previously said in the thread that increasing the radius of your orbit in the game is achieved by pointing your thrusters towards the surface (ie the centre of your orbit). In the real world, this is achieved by thrusting 90 degrees to that, in the direction of travel. Increasing your speed in this fashion increases the radius of your orbit.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you have ever tried to slingshot birds, you would realize how unrealistic Angry Birds is. Although the name is pretty accurate.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Actually, I find Angry Birds' lack of realistic atmospheric drag modeling to be extremely offensive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
^^^ The birds are in a vacuum.

Det_no posted:

Basically, speeding up causes your orbit to get bigger/higher and slowing down causes it to get smaller/lower. The size/height of the orbit is always proportional to your speed, so you can't change the height and speed independently like you have to do in this game.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

bobfather posted:

Actually, I find Angry Birds' lack of realistic atmospheric drag modeling to be extremely offensive.

Physicists ignore drag all the time :colbert: Plus Angry Birds are spherical, which makes physicists happy too :v:

• Locked thread