Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a good straight up platformer for windows. Not a puzzle platformer like Thomas was alone (even though that one is pretty good) for instance, or platformers with a time trial theme (like i always felt meat boy was). Just a standard platformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mordieth posted:

I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a good straight up platformer for windows. Not a puzzle platformer like Thomas was alone (even though that one is pretty good) for instance, or platformers with a time trial theme (like i always felt meat boy was). Just a standard platformer.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams would fit the bill I think.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mordieth posted:

There's the oft-forgotten Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, which is a fundamentally solid and enjoyable throwback to his old 2d platforming days. Has great level design. You can buy it on GoG for fairly cheap.

Though, if the series offends you it won't do you any favors ;)

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Is it bad form to ask for a recommendation without reading the whole 168 page thread?

I'm interested in an open world sandbox MMO with consequences and a strong player driven economy or crafting focus.

Think Eve Online(which I want a break from) or Salem(which is terrible). Or Dartmud, if you're the mudding type.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Rapner posted:

Is it bad form to ask for a recommendation without reading the whole 168 page thread?

Nah.

quote:

I'm interested in an open world sandbox MMO with consequences and a strong player driven economy or crafting focus.

Think Eve Online(which I want a break from) or Salem(which is terrible). Or Dartmud, if you're the mudding type.

Check out Wurm Online.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Rapner posted:

Have you tried A Tale in the Desert? The graphics are pretty :lol: but it has the best crafting and player cooperation I think I have ever seen (granted I haven't played any of the recent versions of it but it USED to). You can't accomplish much without help, though, so that part kind of sucks unless you want a very social experience.

(also literally a sandbox)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What's a good coop PC game for people burned out on the Borderlands and Left 4 Dead games?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

sean10mm posted:

What's a good coop PC game for people burned out on the Borderlands and Left 4 Dead games?

Monaco.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

sean10mm posted:

If you want a co-op shooter, Resident Evil 5 is great, and Serious Sam 3 is also fun. If you just want any kind of coop game, Magicka, Terraria, and Torchlight 2 are all a lot of fun in their own ways.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I need a new complex timesink. Preferably run on lower end machines. My previous were World of Warcraft and Dwarf Fortress, so strategy or RPG.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Xandoom posted:

I need a new complex timesink. Preferably run on lower end machines. My previous were World of Warcraft and Dwarf Fortress, so strategy or RPG.

Minecraft. With mods like Tekkit, it gets extremely fiddly and complicated (you can build very complicated machines with logic gates and poo poo), and it's pretty much an infinite timesink.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ashenai posted:

Minecraft. With mods like Tekkit, it gets extremely fiddly and complicated (you can build very complicated machines with logic gates and poo poo), and it's pretty much an infinite timesink.

I've tried it but I really don't like it, even with Tekkit. Perhaps something else?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Xandoom posted:

I've tried it but I really don't like it, even with Tekkit. Perhaps something else?

Terraria? EVE Online? Magic Online? One of many roguelikes (start with Crawl, it's representative of the genre and not super difficult to get into)?

Those are all games you can spend many hundreds of hours on. "Complex timesink" isn't much to go on, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
*edit*^^^^^^^^
Related to Eve, X3: Terran Conflict. It's essentially the single player version of EVE online, including the whole "become a space billionaire and take over the universe after starting with just one ship" part.

Xandoom posted:

If you liked Dwarf Fortress, you should check out Liberal Crime Squad. It was originally developed by the same guy and is now actively being updated by someone else.

It's basically "domestic terrorism, the rpg", but in a way that's very tongue in cheek. It's one if those games where you're given a single major objective, and then given free reign about how you want to accomplish it.

It's also text/console based (although the UI is much less confusing than DF), so you should be able to run it on pretty much anything.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 8, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Xandoom posted:

If you like the idea of building complex systems but don't like Minecraft itself, Factorio is more focused on that. SpaceChem also falls into that category.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Xandoom posted:

Uplink can be quite a timesink, if it clicks with you. It's pretty much a sim game about being an 80's movie hacker ala Wargames or The Net.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

I was playing Darkout (a quasi-Terraria clone) and having a decent enough time until a patch came out that broke everything, now it's unplayable and I need a base-building, resource hunting game until they fix it. Terraria and Minecraft are played out, Starbound isn't until forever, any other ideas?

Unfortunately there aren't really a ton of games on the market like this yet. It might be worth checking out gnomoria or something, but it's not exactly the same as the games you mentioned. I feel sort of goony for suggesting a dwarf fortress clone, but hey, dwarf fortress isn't all that bad if you can get past the graphics.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

SheepNameKiller posted:

Unfortunately there aren't really a ton of games on the market like this yet. It might be worth checking out gnomoria or something, but it's not exactly the same as the games you mentioned. I feel sort of goony for suggesting a dwarf fortress clone, but hey, dwarf fortress isn't all that bad if you can get past the graphics.

Don't Starve might actually scratch the same itch.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Ashenai posted:

Don't Starve might actually scratch the same itch.

That's true. Don't Starve's base building is a lot more basic than Terraria or Minecraft's but it is there and the game is pretty good in general.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Xandoom posted:

The X series, if you're into space sims. You'll end up owning all the spaceships

I recommend starting with X3: Terran Conflict, the most recent one is more focused on combat.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'll check all those out thanks everyone!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xandoom posted:

Complex strategy timesinks are basically Paradox games Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 3, Victoria 2, Darkest Hour.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Burnout Paradise is going for 5 bucks on Steam. If you haven't played it, it's a great racing game and still looks great even if at 5 years old. I'm not sure if I like Road Rash or Spy Hunter more. v:shobon:v

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Can someone recommend me a good sports management game - I'm a big fan of these in general - currently play Football Manager 2013 with friends, tried some browser-based sports management games.

Preferably steam games.

Sports I enjoy:

- Football (soccer)
- F1
- NFL
- Tennis

It doesn't matter if I don't actually get to play a character (such a FM where you basically carry out the manager's duties only).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JadaX posted:

Can someone recommend me a good sports management game - I'm a big fan of these in general - currently play Football Manager 2013 with friends, tried some browser-based sports management games.

Preferably steam games.

Sports I enjoy:

- Football (soccer)
- F1
- NFL
- Tennis

It doesn't matter if I don't actually get to play a character (such a FM where you basically carry out the manager's duties only).

If anybody knows of great baseball-management games, feel free to mention them. There were a couple of years where I played the hell out of "High Heat Baseball", essentially general-managing the team and watching the AI play the games. :allears:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I've heard good things about Out Of The Park Baseball, haven't played it though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Complex strategy timesinks are basically Paradox games Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 3, Victoria 2, Darkest Hour.

I own and play all of them!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xandoom posted:

I own and play all of them!

Sounds like you need to step up to the plate and get started on proper wargames then. The grognard thread has a lot of recommendations, but you should start off with Unity of Command and PanzerCorps, then move up to Decisive Campaigns, and then Command Ops or War in the East and finally, if you want your eyes to bleed from microing an entire theatre of battle, War in the Pacific.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What Assassin's Creed game should I start with to skip the lovely games in the series? I played the first one, never finished, don't plan on it, but the rest seem interesting enough, especially if they're on sale. I dig that they brought a monetary system in to it. Should I just skip to the last one?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grem posted:

What Assassin's Creed game should I start with to skip the lovely games in the series? I played the first one, never finished, don't plan on it, but the rest seem interesting enough, especially if they're on sale. I dig that they brought a monetary system in to it. Should I just skip to the last one?
Play 2 and if you liked that play Brotherhood. The series has been going downhill since then so its up to you at that point.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Play 2 and if you liked that play Brotherhood. The series has been going downhill since then so its up to you at that point.
Seconding this and definitely in that order as it is pretty much The Life and Times of Ezio Auditore da Firenze Volumes I & II. Revelations is technically a continuation, but it's not as polished as the others and the story is fairly tacked on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Accordion Man posted:

More or less this yeah. Revelations is basically just a level pack and they're not particularly good, and 3 is one of the most tedious exercises you'll ever find in videogaming. I liked Brotherhood a little more than 2 because it starts off quicker, though it's much shorter so take that as you may.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
What are the opinions of you Assassin Creed vets about the upcoming game? I'm thinking about trying some of AC out but....Is it like Dishonored or Hitman or <meh>?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Reign Of Pain posted:

What are the opinions of you Assassin Creed vets about the upcoming game? I'm thinking about trying some of AC out but....Is it like Dishonored or Hitman or <meh>?

It's a lot like neither. There isn't really any real stealth mechanic or any planning to any of the assassinations. A lot of it is sword fighting and freerunning. I'd still recommend it though, just jump in from AC2. AC1, while thematically pretty good, is quite a repetitive slog that doesn't really realize any of the potential of the series.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What are some good freeware netbook games? I have a Samsung N110 (early gen atom, poo poo intel graphics) and I need some distractions for some long plane trips. I downloaded Elona+ but it sucks poo poo without a numpad.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
What "Office Tycoon" type of games are for PC (preferably) or Android, or games where I manage a business/office building? I've been sucked in to Game Dev Tycoon lately, but I've exhausted all of its content. I love Kairosoft games and have played most of them, and I know that Game Dev Story 2 has an incomplete translation patch out there somewhere. I also enjoyed Theme Hospital, and I did enjoy games like RCT, OpenTTD, etc, but I am looking for something that specifically deals with an office building or business and the management of its employees.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I am working on a project on race portrayals / racism in video games, leaning towards the fantasy genres. Can anyone recommend a game in which race plays a part in the plot or gameplay? For example, I'm using Skyrim as one of my case studies for two reasons. One, the player chooses their "race" and each race option has different associated attributes. Two, because racism is a large part of the plot, with the Stormcloaks and Aldmeri Dominion both displaying open racism towards specific groups. Mass Effect is another example of a game I'm using, because of the multiple instances of racism, xenophobia and genocide depicted in the game.

I'm trying to avoid real-world racism, so a game like Bioshock Infinite doesn't fit what I'm looking for. If anyone could suggest a fantasy or sci-fi game with race, racism or genocide as salient themes that would be great. I am going to play all of the games in the course of my study, so I need Xbox 360 or PC games preferably.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Grem posted:

I will disagree with the general consensus and say that 2 and Revelations were both really good with brotherhood being the worst of that trifecta. The big problem I had with brotherhood was that the story was obviously just a bridge between 2 and Revelations and didn't have much of a profound on anything, it even retconned some poo poo you did in 2 for no appreciable reason.

Brotherhood has a major plot point related to Desmond but who really gives a poo poo about Desmond's story. The rest of it is just a mouse chase.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Disillusionist posted:

I am working on a project on race portrayals / racism in video games, leaning towards the fantasy genres. Can anyone recommend a game in which race plays a part in the plot or gameplay? For example, I'm using Skyrim as one of my case studies for two reasons. One, the player chooses their "race" and each race option has different associated attributes. Two, because racism is a large part of the plot, with the Stormcloaks and Aldmeri Dominion both displaying open racism towards specific groups. Mass Effect is another example of a game I'm using, because of the multiple instances of racism, xenophobia and genocide depicted in the game.

I'm trying to avoid real-world racism, so a game like Bioshock Infinite doesn't fit what I'm looking for. If anyone could suggest a fantasy or sci-fi game with race, racism or genocide as salient themes that would be great. I am going to play all of the games in the course of my study, so I need Xbox 360 or PC games preferably.

Dragon Age: Origins. Elves are either outcasts living in getthos or armed rebels, mages are basically in prision for their whole lives because they are feared and dwarves have a rigid caste system. The game is also quite good at recognizing your player character origin (:thejoke:) and answer accordingly.

Good game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are there any good lesser known platformers out there? I like me a good run n' jump that's got a little bit of speed behind it.

Rayman Origins, Mario's 2D ventures, even the Super Meat Boy types to a extent are all good to me.