Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxtemkin/spelunky-dance

lol

http://waxy.org/2013/05/the_spelunky_dance/

quote:

May 6: The performance was released exclusively to me last night, and I was deep in the middle of plans to sell DVDs, when some jerks named tUNNELcREW leaked it online. First, as a camcorder leak and then the screener copy.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

gently caress this new trend of $1 kickstarters

can't ks set a proper floor on projects?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Radio Paranoia posted:

gently caress this new trend of $1 kickstarters

can't ks set a proper floor on projects?

the more projects that get funded, the more money ks makes. they need to compete with indiegogo's flexible funding scammodel

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

the idea that people are doing this to 'fill their pie' is loving dumb what the gently caress

gamification works it turns out

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

are kickstarters considered charity donations?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Radio Paranoia posted:

are kickstarters considered charity donations?
Don't think so since Kickstarter explicitly forbids charities I think

"yes I'd like to write off this $100 donation to a retro pixel art JRPG about the American Revolution"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
fiscally, kickstarter is the equivalent of a night of drinking and gambling

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Don't think so since Kickstarter explicitly forbids charities I think

"yes I'd like to write off this $100 donation to a retro pixel art JRPG about the American Revolution"

unironically would donate to that game

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jickfart

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Ixiggle posted:

go post in games about it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ixiggle posted:

Well bad news its kickstarter is over

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seltaire/americana-dawn

it was an actual thing and I had to shame friends who donated to it

the guy working on it is near homeless and spends his time either hiking or completely redoing the style of the game over and over

http://bitbonton.com/

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Al! posted:

fiscally, kickstarter is the equivalent of a night of drinking and gambling

also psychologically, considering the crippling depression and disappointment afterwards

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fabricated posted:

Well bad news its kickstarter is over

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seltaire/americana-dawn

it was an actual thing and I had to shame friends who donated to it

the guy working on it is near homeless and spends his time either hiking or completely redoing the style of the game over and over

http://bitbonton.com/

quote:

Is this game an Axis Powers Hetalia fangame?

No, but it pays homages to the show.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
how about the most worthwhile kickstarter (draft) ever: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ulillillia/167866187?token=43af2c3a

Platform Masters by Nick "Ulillillia" Smith

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
he could, and probably should get more than 1k for his biographical movie :unsmith:

i would feel weird paying money for a game that i would never play but w/e

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Estimated delivery: Dec 2016

he has no job and plays with platform masters all day why would it take 3 more years to finish that dumb game aside from the fact that he wastes more time tweaking the smallest most insignificant "problems" in his game

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
you do know who ulillillia is right

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flyboi posted:

he has no job and plays with platform masters all day why would it take 3 more years to finish that dumb game aside from the fact that he wastes more time tweaking the smallest most insignificant "problems" in his game

yes, and ?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

penus de milo posted:

you do know who ulillillia is right

ya i do and it's funny he could remotely gauge a release window because he'll never complete the game since he's so ocd

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it might come out 2020 if you get him some meth.
maybe

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
is there any legal recourse that could be taken on kickstarter or a person donated to if they don't make the project they claim they want to? I have this sneaking suspicion that someone is gonna sue KS or indiegagga and then the bottom is gonna poo poo out of this potentially market changing institution. we almost got a chance to fund neat projects without publishers but nah we are greedy fucks who are going to destroy the earth

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think kickstarter's "we are not a store" thing a few monts back was an attempt to get in front of that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rexicon1 posted:

is there any legal recourse that could be taken on kickstarter or a person donated to if they don't make the project they claim they want to? I have this sneaking suspicion that someone is gonna sue KS or indiegagga and then the bottom is gonna poo poo out of this potentially market changing institution. we almost got a chance to fund neat projects without publishers but nah we are greedy fucks who are going to destroy the earth

as i understand it it's on the same basis as any venture capital investment - if the project being invested in spends the money legitimately on the project and it still fails then welp, that's too bad. if they just spend the money on hookers and blow then there's a legitimate lawsuit there, but kickstarter are no more responsible for it than the printers of a prospectus for an IPO are.

(where it gets complex is with the investor reward stuff - a lot of projects are basically retailing their as-yet-nonexistent product through kickstarter and that puts them in a whole new world of hurt, legally speaking, which might be why kickstarter are cracking down on that now)

okay that's two effortposts in yospos today, i need to go kill myself

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/penny-arcades-podcast-downloadable-content-the-ret

apparently it costs $10 to make a podcast but $19,990 to make a theme song

these new $10 goal kickstarters have turn KS into indiegogo

someone has already pledged $500 to have them say their name on a podcast

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rexicon1 posted:

you can't sue kickstarter for it, you have to sue the dude who was running the project. unsurprisingly that's happened quite a few times.

its simple

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chunk posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/penny-arcades-podcast-downloadable-content-the-ret

this is after they successfully raised half a million dollars last year to keep doing their comic

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the penny arcade guys seem mostly pretty decent from what i've seen even if they seem to have a lot of cognitive dissonance when it comes to how lovely gaming and gaming culture are

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Cold on a Cob posted:

the penny arcade guys seem mostly pretty decent from what i've seen even if they seem to have a lot of cognitive dissonance when it comes to how lovely gaming and gaming culture are

actually they suck

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Al! posted:

actually they suck

ok, i'll accept that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah they're just doing their thing but asking for money like that seems gauche

I wonder how much $$$ they make off of PAX, I think there's 3 of them a year now and they sell out instantly

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

this is after they successfully raised half a million dollars last year to keep doing their comic

it was to remove an ad slot, and the money they had charged for said ad slot had been about $100,000 a year so yeah

guess it just goes to show that kickstarter is a way better way to get money then those paypal tip jar things??

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

qirex posted:

yeah they're just doing their thing but asking for money like that seems gauche

I wonder how much $$$ they make off of PAX, I think there's 3 of them a year now and they sell out instantly

you'd be surprised how little some big events/shows/conventions actually make once you've paid the venue, staff, caterers, cleaners, etc, etc, etc.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Sweevo posted:

you'd be surprised how little some big events/shows/conventions actually make once you've paid the venue, staff, caterers, cleaners, etc, etc, etc.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sweevo posted:

you'd be surprised how little some big events/shows/conventions actually make once you've paid the police bribes, whores, mafia, body disposers, drug cartels, etc, etc.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

don't forget the hell's angels

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
need a disposable case for your disposable andriod smartphone? bros got you covered

SMART BAGS

five for five bucks or 30 for 13. 88 people that own iphones backed it already.

brought to you by a mugician (a musician who performs magic) and the rancid shithole of a city I live in, Pittsburgh

project risks: our customers discover uline.com

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
a ~life hack~ that should only be awarded to people adventurous enough to try the touchscreen through a sandwich bag while baking at home and not to bitch nerd idiots on kickstarter

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Chunk posted:

why the hell don't they do this on their website and not have to pay ks a chunk of the donations?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

why the hell don't they do this on their website and not have to pay ks a chunk of the donations?

because paypal would take a bigger cut and kickstarter makes it easier to have the donation tiers to track rewards to each person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

and free advertising

• Locked thread