Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

SoundMonkey posted:

Let us also remember that Ken Rockwell has an unironic webpage on his site about how aliens visited Europeans because they found Native Americans to be too savage and primitive to understand science. Yep, it's on there somewhere.

Do you mean this masterpiece of critical thought?

:psyboom:

e: I actually work with a guy who honestly believes that the Tunguska event was actually an alien spacecraft crashing, and that the resulting explosion created a time vortex that led to WWI. He also has some interesting views about RAW/JPEG workflows.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spongepuppy posted:

Holy christ.

I think we need to start going to Amazon and buying anal probe equipment through affiliate links that point back to Ken.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Far and away the most offensive thing about Ken is that he has so much amazing photo gear and the only pictures he can be arsed to take for his articles are awful snapshots, mostly of his ugly children.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Dren posted:

Far and away the most offensive thing about Ken is that he has so much amazing photo gear and the only pictures he can be arsed to take for his articles are awful snapshots, mostly of his ugly children.

He actually has quite some decent stuff on his road trip albums, but he keeps those shuttered far away and mainly features those stupid snapshots. I don't get it.

ed: I take that back. It's actually all very lovely, and I thought they were better than they actually are.1

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Let us also remember that Ken Rockwell has an unironic webpage on his site about how aliens visited Europeans because they found Native Americans to be too savage and primitive to understand science. Yep, it's on there somewhere.

Also the D1H is still actually a good camera in TYOOLASJC 2013, my wife uses one (that I got for $125 in this very forum), and it actually outperforms my D200 in several areas.

The D1H rules. Ditch your D200 and buy my D2Xs I got here layin around (still costs as much as an abused D700):snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Dren posted:

To be fair, you are not his target audience. He shoots photos of his kids/boring poo poo to demonstrate real world use of camera and lens combinations along with post production styles that only Grey Beards would appreciate. While his reviews are full of poo poo opinions, the photos themselves demonstrate the strengths and faults of the lens hes reviewing. If he says the CA is terrible, he pixel-peeps and shows you instead of just blahblablahthislenssucksimjustgonnabitchaboutit. Face it, you take boring pics, he takes boring pics, we all take snapshots and boring pics.

KRock isnt harming you, cut him some slack. Better yet, dont visit his website.

Ironically defending krock :smugdog:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
K rock isn't that bad for succinct real world reviews. At least I can read a krock review in a minute compared to a 23 page dpreview piece of crap.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mightaswell posted:

K rock isn't that bad for succinct real world reviews. At least I can read a krock review in a minute compared to a 23 page dpreview piece of crap.

Pretty much the only thing I use his site for is a quick reference for filter diameter and whatnot on lenses.

Although he was entirely right about the 28-80 f/3.5-5.6D. poo poo's plastic, feels like the most bullshit lens ever, actually somehow owns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
K‐Rock notes what sound each lens makes when shaken.

It’s spergy, but it was good to know that no, that lens is not supposed to make that sound, consider sending it in for service.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Krock is a Pentax ME fan, so he's cool in my book.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The K‐Rock posted:

I wouldn't go out of my way to find this model, mostly because I like having an auto exposure lock, but If I got stuck on a tropical island with no other camera, I'd make great photos with the Pentax ME.

What a ringing endorsement. :allears:

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

spongepuppy posted:

:psyboom:

e: I actually work with a guy who honestly believes that the Tunguska event was actually an alien spacecraft crashing, and that the resulting explosion created a time vortex that led to WWI. He also has some interesting views about RAW/JPEG workflows.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nm/aliens/

Also found this, which is what I think was being referenced.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Rockwell freely admits that he writes hoaxes and bullshit into his site for laughs. If you take everything he's posted on there seriously, you are exactly the type of person he is trying to catch and you should be laughed at.

junto a la luna
Nov 11, 2009
So I am off to Iceland in September, for 10 days of walking around what I hope will be some amazing scenery. I bought a D3200 in February, with just the kit lens. I also have an old 50mm lens from an F301, though the AF doesn't work on my D3200.

I should be getting a small bonus from work next month, and I'd like a lens that is good for landscapes, with a budget of £300ish (less if possible). I'm guessing that second hand is probably the way to go here, but I'm not sure exactly what is best to go with. I would imagine that something really wide angle is best for what should be epic landscapes?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TheJeffers posted:

Rockwell freely admits that he writes hoaxes and bullshit into his site for laughs. If you take everything he's posted on there seriously, you are exactly the type of person he is trying to catch and you should be laughed at.

The problem being that his serious stuff is dumber than the fake stuff half the time.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

junto a la luna posted:

So I am off to Iceland in September, for 10 days of walking around what I hope will be some amazing scenery. I bought a D3200 in February, with just the kit lens. I also have an old 50mm lens from an F301, though the AF doesn't work on my D3200.

I should be getting a small bonus from work next month, and I'd like a lens that is good for landscapes, with a budget of £300ish (less if possible). I'm guessing that second hand is probably the way to go here, but I'm not sure exactly what is best to go with. I would imagine that something really wide angle is best for what should be epic landscapes?

The kit lens for that is the 17-55mm, right? If the wide end on that performs well, it should make for pretty good landscape photos. If you want to go even wider, the Tokina 11-16 is pretty much the only thing that's decent under $2K. If you prefer working with a moderate wide angle, the 28/2.8 AI and AI-s are pretty much distortion-free, decently sharp and pretty cheap through most used resellers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A colleague of mine is looking to get his daughter a DSLR for a graduation gift as she goes off to college. His budget is $500. There are no immediate photographical aspirations, but they may be there so he wants to get her something a step up from a point and shoot.

Nikon has the D3100 with two kit zoom lenses (18-55 f/3.5-5.6G ED II and the 55-200 f/4-5.6G ED) for $500 straight up.

Offer ends tomorrow.

That a decent deal? I'm unfamiliar with the 3100.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/pd/productID.278659200

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

junto a la luna posted:

You probably aren't going to get much wider angle with that budget, but the kit isn't bad for that at all.
I'd instead suggest you find a long lens, either a cheap tele-zoom (55-200 or 70-300, or similar), or a good manual focus medium-long prime, such as 105, 135 or 180.

The main catch you will have with using manual focus lenses (AI and AI-S) is that the D3200 can't meter with them, so you will have to use manual mode and guess at exposure. It's good practice to get a feeling for what kind of exposures you need in different light situations anyway, even if you plan to use auto-exposure modes most of the time.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

A colleague of mine is looking to get his daughter a DSLR for a graduation gift as she goes off to college. His budget is $500. There are no immediate photographical aspirations, but they may be there so he wants to get her something a step up from a point and shoot.

Nikon has the D3100 with two kit zoom lenses (18-55 f/3.5-5.6G ED II and the 55-200 f/4-5.6G ED) for $500 straight up.

Offer ends tomorrow.

That a decent deal? I'm unfamiliar with the 3100.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/pd/productID.278659200

That was my first DSLR, bought it with that same kit. Shot with it for two years until I upgraded to a 5200 this year. Didn't sell it back because I'd like it as a backup. It's a perfectly fine camera and $500 with the two lenses is just peachy in my book.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Eegah posted:

That was my first DSLR, bought it with that same kit. Shot with it for two years until I upgraded to a 5200 this year. Didn't sell it back because I'd like it as a backup. It's a perfectly fine camera and $500 with the two lenses is just peachy in my book.

Sounds great, thanks!

junto a la luna
Nov 11, 2009
So would ebay link be a bad idea? Its a little more, but I like fisheye landscapes for the sense of scale. I might take my camera down to LCE and see if they'll let me play with some lenses before buying.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

junto a la luna posted:

I'd rent a really good lens, rather than trying to buy something on a shoestring, for truely 'epic' stuff like that.

e: eg. for 14 days £200 would probably get you something good at the wide end like a 10mm/2.8 nikon and something tele with macro like a 200mm/2.8 sigma for the close up 'wildlife' and long shots, on top of your kit lens and 50mm that would cover most of the ranges, and give you better lenses for those 2 weeks than buying some substandard stuff to own would.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 8, 2013

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Moon Potato posted:

The kit lens for that is the 17-55mm, right? If the wide end on that performs well, it should make for pretty good landscape photos. If you want to go even wider, the Tokina 11-16 is pretty much the only thing that's decent under $2K. If you prefer working with a moderate wide angle, the 28/2.8 AI and AI-s are pretty much distortion-free, decently sharp and pretty cheap through most used resellers.

The Sigma 8-16 might also be worth looking into. I really like mine for mountain shots.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

I'd rent a really good lens, rather than trying to buy something on a shoestring, for truely 'epic' stuff like that.

e: eg. for 14 days £200 would probably get you something good at the wide end like a 10mm/2.8 nikon and something tele with macro like a 200mm/2.8 sigma for the close up 'wildlife' and long shots, on top of your kit lens and 50mm that would cover most of the ranges, and give you better lenses for those 2 weeks than buying some substandard stuff to own would.

10.5mm is a full on fisheye. You would need to flatten it out with perspective control. Its works great but bear in mind that when you perspective fix a fished eye photo, you some image area, so account for that loss when you compose.

I personally would rent a 8-16mm sigma myself and use that with 18-55 kit lens and the 50mm for a shortish tele.

junto a la luna posted:

Your budget is really small for what you are asking, even on second hand markets. Id use the funds to rent and then if you are blown away by results, put it on your ever growing list of ways to blow photobux.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TheJeffers posted:

I'm the guy making a living off begging for money on his site and then filling it with bullshit and hoaxes.

Please click my links or my children starve, though :( :( :(

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

junto a la luna posted:

What are your criteria for "good for landscapes"? How wide are you capable of shooting? I can't really use more than about 28mm equivalent effectively, and I generally think 24mm is about as wide as most people can really do. You need a good subject in the foreground to minimize the foreshortening effect. Also, how far do you want to stop down? A lot of the UWA zooms are pretty trashy in the corners wide open but most people stop down to f/8 or below for landscapes. Even the kit lens is going to do pretty well stopped down to f/8 or below and shot off a tripod.

I mean if you want to buy something, I would look at the Samyang 14/2.8 (or the 8mm if you want to do the fisheye correction). It's as good as it gets for a cheap UWA prime. That's probably too little to buy a real zoom, but you could rent one.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
I've seen some amazing work done with the Sigma 10-20, it should prove more than sufficient for tripod work.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I'm the guy making a living off begging for money on his site and then filling it with bullshit and hoaxes.

Please click my links or my children starve, though :( :( :(

So what your sayin is that Ken Rockwell is Shivadas? How he feed dem kidz?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Does anyone besides me have a 1 series cameras and care about how poor the off camera flash support is?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I need to get a relatively inexpensive telephoto lens with at least 300 mm on the long end for wildlife photography. It will be for an APS-C body, the D50. The options that seem available to me are the Nikon 55-300 mm DX VR, the Nikon 70-300 mm VR, and the Tamron 70-300 MM VC.

I'm leaning towards the Tamron 70-300 mm because it seems like a good mix of image quality and features for the price, $350. I'm having trouble finding any good comparative lens reviews though. Do you guys have experience and opinions about these lenses?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I haven't used the Tamron but the 55-300 has done perfectly fine for me for my wildlife shots. And by wildlife I mean cute dogs at the dog park.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've used the Tamron 70-300VC, it's a very good lens for the price. Better than the cheap nikons, comparable to the more expensive nikon 70-300 (the ~600 dollar one).

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/619-tamron70300f456fx

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DOUBLEPOSTING BECAUSE SPACE IS AWESOME.

http://petapixel.com/2013/04/10/a-glimpse-at-where-camera-gear-is-kept-on-the-international-space-station/

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Eegah posted:

I haven't used the Tamron but the 55-300 has done perfectly fine for me for my wildlife shots. And by wildlife I mean cute dogs at the dog park.

I've got the Nikon 18-200 mm DX VR already (the mk I), and I've been pretty disappointed in the sharpness of it. Of course I know you can't expect much from a super-zoom, and it was a gift anyway, so I can't complain. But even though people seem to like the 55-300 mm DX well enough, the fact that it's just a DX kit lens makes me weary that I wouldn't see any improvements over what I already have, beyond reach.

Mr. Despair posted:

I've used the Tamron 70-300VC, it's a very good lens for the price. Better than the cheap nikons, comparable to the more expensive Nikon 70-300 (the ~600 dollar one).

I've definitely decided to go for it now. I was considering the Tamron and Nikon 70-300 fairly equally, but with the Nikon used/refurbished for a similar price, but then I remembered I'd have a 6 year warranty with the Tamron and basically nothing with a used/refurbished Nikon. It definitely seems like a good lens for the price, and the only thing I use my DSLR for now is wildlife/birding, so this lens should be perfect for that, and I'm just going to sell my other ones.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another note in Tamron's favor is that they apparently have put a lot of work into making their warranty service better, while Nikon's (in the US) is not so hot even if you were buying new. Check out lensrentals' repair data and return times: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I can't gush enough about the Tamron. For the price it's extremely capable. I was mostly surprised by the build quality.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
I got recommended the Tamron in this thread for a safari trip. I wasn't disappointed, it's a great lens.

Here are some shots I took with it:

pride by bmc451, on Flickr

just chillin' by bmc451, on Flickr

Fungah fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 14, 2013

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

They should send Ashton Kutcher into space.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Beastruction posted:

They should send Ashton Kutcher into space.

Space has enough junk already. I hear they need people for that one way mission to Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Fungah posted:

I got recommended the Tamron in this thread for a safari trip. I wasn't disappointed, it's a great lens.
That's definitely a lot sharper than my Nikon 18-200 mm DX super-zoom. I've already ordered it, and can't wait to play with it.

Thanks, it was interesting to read from his perspective.