Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

He's right though, Horner is a hack.

Even allowing for the established fact that Horner began re-using his own material once he hit the 90s, TWOK is one of the first things he ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome_Tool
Dec 10, 2008
I've seen the film YIPPEE

Technical Issues IMAX 3D is bad! (well duh really) Not to be a grandpa about this but at my showing the RAW sound was too distracting and it took away any comfort. The 3D was a post conversion process and no 2D showings meant all of the effects were unsynced (like watching a film cross-eyed) Overall almost enough to want to walk out. (it was a free showing anyway) I would watch this movie again if in 2D, or wait until blu-ray.

Awesome_Tool fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 8, 2013

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Bad 3D conversion seems to have no effect on people's willingness to pay for it so I'm not worried. Luckily I have access to non-3D screenings. Thank god.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Really? People hate the Wrath of Khan's music? You're all nuts.

Horner's stuff is my absolute favorite for Star Trek. Oh well - Trek nerds are just as fragmented as any other group, I guess.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Rocket Ace posted:

Really? People hate the Wrath of Khan's music? You're all nuts.

Horner's stuff is my absolute favorite for Star Trek. Oh well - Trek nerds are just as fragmented as any other group, I guess.

Horner's Wrath of Khan is among the best in the franchise. So good, in fact, that he continues to cannibalize it to this day!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

Horner's Wrath of Khan is among the best in the franchise. So good, in fact, that he continues to cannibalize it to this day!

Dude likes him some French horns, whaddaya gonna do?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's 3am so this is going to be minimal. Any spoilers are behind tags for people who are keeping unspoiled.

A fun movie, and a good continuation of the rebooted universe. There are quite a few references to the previous movie and nods to the tv shows (one blink and you'll miss it shot establishes that the Enterprise NX-01 existed in this timeline). The previous movie actually ties into the events of this one in satisfying ways, in particular the (John Harrison spoilers) discovery of the Botany Bay is said to have been in response to lots of scouting which happened following the destruction of Vulcan..

The well publicized opening sequence was amazing. I would definitely watch a tv show with this crew if it could live up to that. Nailed what can be best about Star Trek in my opinion, and the things that seem absurd such as the Enterprise being hidden underwater are actually remarked upon by characters as being a bad idea.

The movie feels strangest when it gets closest to referencing the old shows and movies. I can deal perfectly fine with a remake of a franchise reusing old ideas in new ways, but where they overtly say that this is a different timeline of the same universe (we even briefly see Old Spock again to rub that in) reusing some of the old scenes in new ways Kirk dying in an attempt to get warp back online feels very strange. There is no real reason that the same situation would have occurred at that time in almost the same way, so it took me out of the movie somewhat as a distinct REMEMBER WHEN THIS HAPPENED IN THE OLD MOVIE?! moment.

Liked: Engineering. It still suffers from brewery set syndrome where the scale of the set seems bigger than what could fit in the ship, but it at least looks more convincingly like an engine room. New aspects of the set like the warp core look awesome. Simon Pegg steals every scene he is in, and Keith Urban nails McCoy. The ship looks great inside and out. Nice exploration of Spocks character, there is a Kirk/Uhura/Spock scene which turns quickly from amusing banter into real emotional stuff.

Criticisms (behind spoilers so I can quickly summarize): With a lot of the action taking place near Earth I don't understand why the Enterprise doesn't call for help at any point. There is a brief mention of comms being down but they apparently come back up at some point, yet despite the Enterprise plunging into the atmosphere it seems like no-one notices, leaving the Enterprise crew to pursue Khan in SF alone. As mentioned earlier, the scene with Kirk fixing the warp core took me right out of the movie as it was clear from the instant we saw the glass door what was going to happen. There is a massive issue with the magical Khan blood where apparently it can be synthesized and cures basically everything including death with no issues, suspect they will just have to awkwardly ignore its existence in future films.

Overall it's basically more of the same from the last movie. If you liked the first reboot film, then you'll enjoy this one. If you didn't like the previous one then many of the issues from it remain in this one. Worth watching though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Overall it's basically more of the same from the last movie. If you liked the first reboot film, then you'll enjoy this one. If you didn't like the previous one then many of the issues from it remain in this one. Worth watching though.

Aww fug. :(

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

B-roll from the movie: http://youtu.be/EQutDk1yecI

Spoilers in there of course.

Kinda weird to see this in its raw format. That's meant to be used as footage for vendors to cut with. Looks cool, though!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I loved this - functioned as an exorcism of everything I don't like about Star Trek.

I've put my full review up here (http://www.londoncitynights.com/2013/05/star-trek-into-darkness-2013-directed_8.html); but here's the thematic stuff that I loved:

quote:

I’ve always detected a faint whiff of fascism in Star Trek that makes me wary. To some extent it’s the militaristic uniforms, but mainly it's the weird paternal, imperialist overtones of the whole thing. Fair enough, Star Trek presents a scientific utopia that’s free of class, racial and sexual discrimination, but then so does Paul Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers, a film that's explicitly about a fascist society. I always find a disconnection between the mission to "explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations" and the overtly militaristic, naval overtones of Star Trek.

2009’s Star Trek glossed over these elements by showing Starfleet through largely through the eyes of Chris Pine’s Kirk who began as an outsider with an antagonistic relationship with the establishment. It’s notable that one of first interactions that Kirk has with Starfleet involves him getting the crap beaten out of him in a bar by over-muscled bullyboys. But by the end of the film he’s firmly established as the bright young future of Starfleet. He’s young, blonde, blue-eyed, brave and intelligent. As the film ends and he assumes command of the USS Enterprise the galaxy is his oyster.

The 2009 film is an outstanding piece of cinema, and on watching it properly in preparation for this sequel I was impressed at how many balls it manages to juggle, and just how fast and dynamic the film is. But as far as I’m concerned, this relationship between science and the military state is the elephant in the room in Star Trek; are these bright young things soldiers or scientists?

Pleasingly, Star Trek Into Darkness tackles this head on. The film cuts right to the heart of the issue, concentrating on the uneasy relationship between science and war and the corruption of those participating in a military-industrial complex. Characters and iconic Star Trek elements are repeatedly transformed into weapons in this film, and the narrative develops into a symbolic conflict between the utopian, peaceful liberal heaven that Star Trek wants to be and the anal, war-ship torpedoes and laser beam fights reality of what Star Trek is.

Everything here revolves around John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch), a mysterious, powerful terrorist with shady motivations and a murky past. At it’s basest level the narrative shows the crew of the Enterprise peeling back various layers of deception that both Harrison and Starfleet have constructed to pervert the scientific mission at the heart of the show. All of the lies that Kirk and his crew have to fight against are intended to do one thing; to transform them into immoral, “just following orders” soldiers.

This transformation is more overt in some characters than others. Kirk’s rebellion and desire to do what’s right regardless of regulation is quickly harnessed by authority to turn him and the Enterprise into an extra-judicial assassination machine, Kirk suppresses his conscience to happily commit grossly immoral acts at the behest of his superiors. The film actually literalises this transformation: at one point Kirk becomes a bullet in a gun and the Enterprise fires him at a target. But it goes further than Kirk; throughout the film we see people being transformed against their will into various types of offensive weaponry, we even see a hellish black Enterprise entirely converted to a weapons platform, a blasphemous distortion of a scientific exploration vessel.

The most obvious manifestation of this is John Harrison himself, a man engineered to be a weapon. He and Kirk have much in common with each other, and it’s tempting to call Harrison Kirk’s dark mirror. But Harrison isn’t so much a reflection as a logical extension of Kirk. As a eugenics experiment he parodies Kirk's patrilineage, as an imperial conqueror he highlights how easily the brel Kirk fits a uniform and as a violent egotist he's the Nazi bubbling somewhere under the surface of Pine's Kirk. As a distorted personification of Kirk, Harrison becomes every icky thematic element present in Star Trek, what the show does not want to be. So he's a Satanic figure, a fallen angel that represents not only temptation for Kirk, but an spectre that must be exorcised in order to for Star Trek to function correctly: as an optimistic, humanist and aspirational utopia.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 8, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

quote:

The 2009 film is an outstanding piece of cinema...

I'll never understand this, but, whelp! At least the review makes me more optimistic about the movie. Will check it out next weekend.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've put my full review up here (http://www.londoncitynights.com/2013/05/star-trek-into-darkness-2013-directed_8.html); but here's the thematic stuff that I loved:

Jeez, dude. You're sure fellating this pretty hard. I stopped at "Abrams gets a lot of stick for over-using lens flare in these films, and particularly in the scenes set on the ship’s bridge there’s a lot of it. Personally I adore the effect and find it hugely appropriate. Especially in 3D the style gives light a solidity and allows us subconsciously associate beams of light with the Enterprise itself, lending the ship a sort of elemental divinity." Really?

Senor Tron posted:

Simon Pegg steals every scene he is in, and Keith Urban nails McCoy.

Do they get more to do this time? They were criminally underused in the first go around, especially Urban. I'd really prefer a movie just with the two of them sort of having to react to and deal with all the crazy bullshit situations Kirk puts them in.

7thBatallion posted:

Best Star Trek theme, hands down. Suck it TWOK.

Really? Even if you like it, don't you feel like it was just flogged to death and had a serious lack of variety? Kirk takes a good poo poo, INSERT THEME. Spock goes to check his hair in the mirror and welp, it's already perfect, INSERT THEME.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 8, 2013

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Jeez, dude. You're sure fellating this pretty hard. I stopped at "Abrams gets a lot of stick for over-using lens flare in these films, and particularly in the scenes set on the ship’s bridge there’s a lot of it. Personally I adore the effect and find it hugely appropriate. Especially in 3D the style gives light a solidity and allows us subconsciously associate beams of light with the Enterprise itself, lending the ship a sort of elemental divinity." Really?

Yeah well people always criticise the lens flare, but I like it and tried to work out why. Maybe I could be a bit less flowery about it but gently caress it.

edit: but sarcasm aside cheers for the typo spot.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 8, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe you could engage with the paragraph you quoted instead of verbally rolling your eyes at it, because it doesn't seem self-evidently incorrect to me.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

AlternateAccount posted:

That sounds like a fairly insightful and descriptive interpretation, though? Better than "Hmm, an element of artifice that has no real place in a digital visual representation...obviously this has no meaning."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Abrams has repeated in a few interviews that it's basically a "cool thing" that he likes. It's purely stylistic. And really, for people that like it, I suppose that's enough. I think this is the most verbose he's been on the subject: http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-admits-star-trek-lens-flares-are-ridiculous

I don't know, I know I can be a pedant, but "looks cool" is a perfectly reasonable justification for doing something or shooting a certain way as far as I am concerned. It's purely subjective, but (shrug). I don't see the need to assign cosmic meaning to it or any real metaphorical significance other than "the future is shiny."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

An effect can be chosen for looking cool, while also having thematic/emotional ramifications. I think it's certainly true that correlating the lensflares with a setting that's meant to resonate with the audience causes them to mean something. "Divinity" is a pretty good word, since the effect links "heavenly" visual tropes to the superheroic figures that man the ship.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
(Shrug) okay. I think that's relying on the viewer to bring a lot to the situation and bridge that gap.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The viewer is me!

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe you could engage with the paragraph you quoted instead of verbally rolling your eyes at it, because it doesn't seem self-evidently incorrect to me.

It is all he has done. We know he HATES "NuTrek", if only because it's not [insert reason/s here/JJTREK :words:]

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

AlternateAccount posted:

(Shrug) okay. I think that's relying on the viewer to bring a lot to the situation and bridge that gap.

Fortunately that's kind of, you know, what art involves.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AlternateAccount posted:

That's a good thing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

That's a good thing.

Peter Weller! You were amazing in this film!

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
^ ^ ^ That's all I wanted to hear, really

ComposerGuy posted:

Even allowing for the established fact that Horner began re-using his own material once he hit the 90s, TWOK is one of the first things he ever did.

Last I checked, Brainstorm, Krull, and Aliens were all in the 80s :colbert:
TWOK is good music, I never said that it wasn't. Also: Commando.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't see the need to assign cosmic meaning to it or any real metaphorical significance other than "the future is shiny."

But there is a lot of meaning in JJ making the future "bright". Trek '09 came at a time when all major Sci-fi (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica*, Stargate) was obsessed with being dark, brooding, moody, gritty, "realistic", and so on, while Abram's going "But I love the idea that the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame." is like a direct responce to that.

Trek '09 and this film play around with these ideas a lot. The over the top brightness is constrast with the over the top darkness of things like Nero's silly monster ship.

*Not to knock the show

Forum Actuary fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 9, 2013

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Do they get more to do this time? They were criminally underused in the first go around, especially Urban. I'd really prefer a movie just with the two of them sort of having to react to and deal with all the crazy bullshit situations Kirk puts them in.

[

Yup. The film really does a good job of making all the ensemble important to the film and gives them their own focus at points.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wow, this movie was shiny and entertaining, but boy did it try too hard. Almost every scene was like being elbowed in the ribs by JJ going "geddit? geddit?", until the whole plot was just an inconsistent clusterfuck of self-referentiality. Looked cool though, and Cumberbatch was great, such a fascinatingly jolie-laide dude.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Just got back from a midnight UK screening, it's a great film. Feels a lot more "Star Trek"-y that the previous one and the plot isn't anywhere near as stupid. As somebody mentioned, they mostly do a good job of getting all the cast a decent amount of time each (although Sulu seems to get a little gipped).

Senor Tron posted:

There is a massive issue with the magical Khan blood where apparently it can be synthesized and cures basically everything including death with no issues, suspect they will just have to awkwardly ignore its existence in future films.

I'm not sure where you got the idea the blood could be synthesised from? They explicitly have to get Khan back alive to give Kirk the transfusion. I could be wrong though, I am quite tired!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Just saw it, liked it a lot. Thought it was better than the first movie, was more interesting and varied with a lot of situations feeling more Star Trek with a bigger team effort and sideways problem solving. They cram almost too much to the movie, it goes from emergency to emergency and the film suddenly realises it is dragging on too long and winds up very quickly. Engineering even makes sense now!

Biggest stretch: Transporting all the way from Earth to Kronos?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 9, 2013

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Olewithmilk posted:

I'm not sure where you got the idea the blood could be synthesised from? They explicitly have to get Khan back alive to give Kirk the transfusion. I could be wrong though, I am quite tired!

Bones says basically exactly that.

Also, speaking of potential plotholes, I found the use of teleportation in this movie extremely troubling, as it relates to the internal logic of any plotlines. The first movie also had this problem but it was a bit more glossed over.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Carecat posted:

Biggest stretch: Transporting all the way from Earth to Kronos?

Scotty was complaining about his equation being stolen

Just saw it in IMAX and loved it. It was often pretty obvious about what it was going to do, but having said that I cracked up when I realized Spock was going to yell KAHHHHHNNNNNNN

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Does this alternate universe version of Khaaaaaaaaan have a background in the Eugenics Wars of the late 90's? Hell, did the Eugenics Wars even happen in this universe?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Gonz posted:

Does this alternate universe version of Khaaaaaaaaan have a background in the Eugenics Wars of the late 90's? Hell, did the Eugenics Wars even happen in this universe?

Yes, everything up to the Kelvin incident is exactly the same as in old Trek. Which has the unfortunate side effect of making Enterprise the only cannon show in the JJverse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hasters posted:

Yes, everything up to the Kelvin incident is exactly the same as in old Trek. Which has the unfortunate side effect of making Enterprise the only cannon show in the JJverse.

Also First Contact.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
And The Voyage Home :laugh:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Abrams has repeated in a few interviews that it's basically a "cool thing" that he likes. It's purely stylistic. And really, for people that like it, I suppose that's enough. I think this is the most verbose he's been on the subject: http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-admits-star-trek-lens-flares-are-ridiculous

I don't know, I know I can be a pedant, but "looks cool" is a perfectly reasonable justification for doing something or shooting a certain way as far as I am concerned. It's purely subjective, but (shrug). I don't see the need to assign cosmic meaning to it or any real metaphorical significance other than "the future is shiny."

Who cares what he said in some interview, watch the movie and figure out what it means.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

1st AD posted:

And The Voyage Home :laugh:
Wait. But the whale probe...

But that has the happened yet...

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

7thBatallion posted:

Wait. But the whale probe...

But that has the happened yet...

Old Spock will just park his ship by earth and blast whale song for a couple of days, no problem.

Not sure what they'd do about V'ger though.

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what
Saw the midnight screening last night, have a few questions:

Why was Khan the only hope to save Kirk? Didn't they have 72 other hopes sitting in tubes on board the ship?

Surely any peril is removed from future films - "Uh oh, someone died again, better get some magic Khan blood to revive them."

Why did Khan beam the photon torpedoes (his "crew") on to his ship? He just said they don't require oxygen, so he could've beamed them into space first to make sure Spock wasn't trying to trick him. Or he could've used his magic transporter to beam them to some field on earth/some other planet. I don't think someone who's supposedly super intelligent would be so easily fooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Forum Actuary posted:

Not sure what they'd do about V'ger though.

Oh poo poo.

• Locked thread