Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Here's my question. Where are the small titles? If Nintendo complains that it's getting harder to do $50-60 titles on modern budgets, why aren't they producing eShop titles like they are for 3DS? Pushmo's one of the best games in the 3DS library. Why aren't there $5-15 digital-only titles in the shop like there was for the original Wii?
Yeah, this is just leaving easy money on the table for them.

I would love to play bright, beautiful, fun and simple Nintendo eShop titles. I don't need everything to be a cinematic experience requiring a cast of thousands to produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe it's time for somebody young and able to identify the pulse of whatever is current in the gaming world to lead Nintendo instead of the people who've basically backed themselves into a corner and have handled the launch of an HD console worse than Sony did with the PS3. (If the projected 4 million sales for the first year stays then that matches/is slightly better than the actual first year of the PS3)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it looks like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate did well enough on the Wii-U and 3DS to warrant brining MH4 to America.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/review.html

While MH4 was always intended to be a 3DS exclusive, this will not be the only version of Monster Hunter 4. They at least get 2-3 titles out per MH generation. Which is good because you can never have too much of these games.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

greatn posted:

I hope it's not like my company where when the head old Korean guy comes over everyone freaks the gently caress out and puts up barriers that make work slower while making it appear we are working more efficiently. We're more efficient when we don't have these VIP visits!

His first ordnance will be to re-instate the Nintendo Dress Code, which if this story isn't fibbing about was an actual thing there during the 90s and probably still is to some extent today if you ever notice the outfits the employees wear in the Asks Interviews.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The PS3 is an example of how it's possible to recover from a disastrous launch. Back in 2006/7, there were very few exclusives, poor documentation and development kits resulted in shoddy ports, the online selection was barren, and the online service was a joke. Right now they're being as helpful as possible to every indie developer they find, retail games are available day one as digital downloads, and PS+ is offering tremendous value, with games less than six months old being given away.

I agree that Nintendo's American and European divisions should be given more autonomy. The NES was almost an entirely different console from its Japanese counterpart, not in terms of the internal hardware, but more how it was designed and marketed. I'm not sure how popular it would have been had it stuck with the flimsy, colourful Famicom design, with its two non-detachable controllers.

They only need to look at Metroid Prime against Other M to see that the right western developer can do an excellent job with an established series. There are very western-centric series such as F-ZERO, Metroid, and Star Fox that have been almost completely absent for the DS and Wii, and would be an excellent showcase for the Wii U's more powerful hardware.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Zomodok posted:

Maybe it's time for somebody young and able to identify the pulse of whatever is current in the gaming world to lead Nintendo instead of the people who've basically backed themselves into a corner and have handled the launch of an HD console worse than Sony did with the PS3. (If the projected 4 million sales for the first year stays then that matches/is slightly better than the actual first year of the PS3)

Holy poo poo this is a thing and you typed it out legitimately feeling this was a valid idea. You really think that big corporations are just a bunch of old farts in suits going "WELL. WE LAUNCHED PAC MAN LIKE THIS SO IT SHOULD WORK RIGHT GUYS?!" and don't have a team of thousands of employees aged from 18 up to old fart that provide them with a wealth of information? Because that's just hilarious.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

flyboi posted:

Holy poo poo this is a thing and you typed it out legitimately feeling this was a valid idea. You really think that big corporations are just a bunch of old farts in suits going "WELL. WE LAUNCHED PAC MAN LIKE THIS SO IT SHOULD WORK RIGHT GUYS?!" and don't have a team of thousands of employees aged from 18 up to old fart that provide them with a wealth of information? Because that's just hilarious.

I don't think you understand, the world NEEDS more games like Farcry 3: Blood Dragon.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flyboi posted:

You should probably stop projecting because that's not what I think nor what I actually said.

Businesses don't actually reward guys for failure.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

WendigoJohnson posted:

I don't think you understand, the world NEEDS more games like Farcry 3: Blood Dragon.

What I don't think a vast majority of the people that post in this thread realize is that games aren't made for you. They aren't made for me either! Take for example Bioshock Infinite - they release their cover art they plan to use. I'm sure there are some that even post in here that partook in the backlash against 2K games for making "lovely" cover art. But see they didn't do it for you. They did it because it appeals to the Call of Duty players, the Battlefield players, the casual players. If you are interested in a game, you will buy it regardless. These corporations are very much well aware of this and are also aware that if you don't like something you won't get it. They also realize that the "hardcore" market is one of the most biased and selfish groups within the gaming industry while also being a minority in the grand scheme of things.

Now tell me: why should these corporations give even one iota of care about the half-brained crazy demands and ideas of people in here. It appeals to you - we get it. You've said it 90090900909 times in this thread. The thing is for average teenage gamer or husband who is unwinding for the first time in a month to play a game the idea is flat out retarded and these people as a whole spend far more money on video games than your group of gamers.

And no, I'm not calling you out WendigoJohnson. I'm just making a point about the absurd analyst posting that constantly shits up this thread.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
This EA Frostbite news is an unmitigated disaster for this console. Wow, what a debacle they have on their hands here.

I wish Nintendo would just start licensing its games. If they started porting to iOS they could make millions

Samara fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 8, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

flyboi posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. As long as things don't go too downhill, it is VERY possible to have a few people up top who have a "vision" of what's going to be successful who don't care about what anybody further down the ladder thinks. Hell, this is a great thing if they're a person in touch with reality!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zomodok posted:

Businesses don't actually reward guys for failure.

Depends on the business.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flyboi posted:

And no, I'm not calling you out WendigoJohnson. I'm just making a point about the absurd analyst posting that constantly shits up this thread.

This is pretty funny because the past few pages were actually pretty nice discussion going back and forth and then you come rolling in with idiotic projecting attacks and sweeping claims.

Mission accomplished I guess?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

flyboi posted:

Now tell me: why should these corporations give even one iota of care about the half-brained crazy demands and ideas of people in here.

Relying on casual fans coming back is what got them into this fine mess in the first place. Unlike Apple, they can't sell hardware on reputation alone, and they need actual software to make it worthwhile.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

That loving Sned posted:

Relying on casual fans coming back is what got them into this fine mess in the first place. Unlike Apple, they can't sell hardware on reputation alone, and they need actual software to make it worthwhile.

Seriously. Unless you're the Wii, you need the crazy people. They're the ones that dedicate a lot of disposable income to gaming and will be more likely to buy your console early on, which means publishers will put out games for it, which means the "casuals" will follow along later when there are more games and a lower price.

They thought they had another Wii. Sadly they were wrong.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

flyboi posted:

What I don't think a vast majority of the people that post in this thread realize is that games aren't made for you. They aren't made for me either! Take for example Bioshock Infinite - they release their cover art they plan to use. I'm sure there are some that even post in here that partook in the backlash against 2K games for making "lovely" cover art. But see they didn't do it for you. They did it because it appeals to the Call of Duty players, the Battlefield players, the casual players. If you are interested in a game, you will buy it regardless. These corporations are very much well aware of this and are also aware that if you don't like something you won't get it. They also realize that the "hardcore" market is one of the most biased and selfish groups within the gaming industry while also being a minority in the grand scheme of things.

Now tell me: why should these corporations give even one iota of care about the half-brained crazy demands and ideas of people in here. It appeals to you - we get it. You've said it 90090900909 times in this thread. The thing is for average teenage gamer or husband who is unwinding for the first time in a month to play a game the idea is flat out retarded and these people as a whole spend far more money on video games than your group of gamers.

Honestly the average gamer is in their 30's. Appealing to teens and moms and teen moms really hasn't delivered fun games. Take a look at Xenoblade for example, it's one of the best games on the Wii, except it never got a wide release. But talk to anyone who is crazy about Nintendo and they will drown you in praise for that game.

Having a game console means you don't need to have either or, it means you can have both types of games. Look at the 3DS nobody in America gives a crap about Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei except people who are moderately well versed in videogames. Meanwhile they will not give two shits about whatever monthly movie tie-in game is released for the system because they are far more informed than the average consumer who would buy the crappy movie tie-in due to other reasons. However Fire Emblem and SMT still get their games released in America because there are enough people who buy them on a regular basis.

The casual market has moved on from consoles and is pretty much on the iOS now. Trying to court them is a deathwish because you're going up Apple who is now so entrenched it will be decades before they release their iron grip on the market.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 8, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
... You guys do realize there are more people in the casual market than just angry birds and bejewled players right? There are people out there for example who love Call of Duty, own a 360, pay for live and own maybe 2 games on their system. Consider the fact that there are more than likely millions like this, they are still a casual gamer and not "hardcore" gamers. Hell both my dad and my mom's boyfriend fit this exact example.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

flyboi posted:

What is this temper tantrum?

While it's true there is a lot of bad and histrionic criticism about gaming generally that doesn't automatically invalidate all criticism.

People wouldn't be "analyst posting" if Nintendo were moving units and we were seeing a healthy release schedule. Neither of those things are happening.

I am not looking for anything crazy or hardcore personally. I would like some games.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

flyboi posted:

... You guys do realize there are more people in the casual market than just angry birds and bejewled players right? There are people out there for example who love Call of Duty, own a 360, pay for live and own maybe 2 games on their system. Consider the fact that there are more than likely millions like this, they are still a casual gamer and not "hardcore" gamers. Hell both my dad and my mom's boyfriend fit this exact example.

There's more of them every year, in fact!

These people aren't going to buy a Nintendo console either way. They'll upgrade to a PS4 or Nextbox when Activision stops putting CoD out for PS360 and they'll keep doing what they do.

It's all the other types of casual gamers that Nintendo needs to worry about.

e: And I'm not talking about the Farmville/Angry Birds "casuals" either. I mean casuals as in people who aren't particularly invested in games as a main hobby and aren't going to go out of their way to stay informed or rush out and be early adopters, but will buy a console when it's cheap and has a decent library. Those are the people that pushed PS2, PS3, and 360 to the numbers they currently have after the :airquote:hardcore:airquote: gamers kept things moving early on.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 8, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

flyboi posted:

Having Call of Duty on a system doesn't make it a bum rush to the land of casual gamerdom where they will accept you with open arms. They had call of Duty on the Wii and it sold terribly because it lacked the online infrastructure that the other versions had. Also I'm fairly certain that Mass Effect 2 and 3 made considerable profits that were equal or greater than most games deemed casual and ME2 had heavy RPG type elements.

Also nobody said the IOS had just simple games like Angry Birds and Bejeweled. The Ipad can handle some pretty intricate graphics and rather deep games, it's just that people buy it for other reasons than the games. Casual gamers treat the games as secondary to the device's other features most of the time. Meaning casual gamers aren't going to buy something just for the games.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

flyboi posted:

You really think that big corporations are just a bunch of old farts in suits going "WELL. WE LAUNCHED PAC MAN LIKE THIS SO IT SHOULD WORK RIGHT GUYS?!" and don't have a team of thousands of employees aged from 18 up to old fart that provide them with a wealth of information?

Ironically, this is actually a pretty accurate representation of how most huge corporations make decisions. Do you really think that CEOs make their big decision based on what their youngest staffmembers say? Do you think most CEOs even interact with more than a handful of their top staffmembers?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 8, 2013

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Man I just do not get where some of you are coming from. :shrug: If there's anything I've learned, it's that Nintendo will get by no matter what kind of bizarre decisions they make. I'm worried about when they'll make a Mario game that isn't generic and soulless again, not on if they'll survive, or if EA is going to stop making games for them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, I never said that they wouldn't survive, I just expect this console iteration to be relatively short, and for the next Nintendo system to come pretty soon after. Like a midseason sitcom replacement.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

nerdbot posted:

Man I just do not get where some of you are coming from. :shrug: If there's anything I've learned, it's that Nintendo will get by no matter what kind of bizarre decisions they make. I'm worried about when they'll make a Mario game that isn't generic and soulless again, not on if they'll survive, or if EA is going to stop making games for them.

Agreed, but at the same time I understand some people feel burned that this console wasn't what Nintendo promoted it as.

Oh well. poo poo happens. Can't wait for the games. Really think Nintendo should stop holding off on announcements and start making them now.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

I wish they could at least get that Wind Waker update out sooner. That would keep me busy for quite awhile.

Ah well.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

nerdbot posted:

Nintendo will get by fine, that's not a concern. They have $10 billion in the bank. The Wii U surviving is the thing up for debate, because it would suck to invest $350 into something that flounders for a couple of years before being abandoned.

And the Mario they show at E3 will save us from the boring mediocrity of NSMB. BELIEVE! :911:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Well, I never said that they wouldn't survive, I just expect this console iteration to be relatively short, and for the next Nintendo system to come pretty soon after. Like a midseason sitcom replacement.

They're not even releasing stuff in Japan of all places. The one country where they give everything to on a silver platter. All that the Japanese Wii-U has that the American one doesn't are a bunch of Train Simulators that were not released in other countries.

But to be fair Train Simulators are a pretty awesome genre and are worth your time to play. If you liked Endless Ocean with the whole travelling across beautiful serene scenery then you will like the gently caress out of train sims.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

WendigoJohnson posted:

Train Simulators are a pretty awesome genre and are worth your time to play.
I can't possibly imagine how this can be true, but I guess other people are wired differently.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gendo posted:

I can't possibly imagine how this can be true, but I guess other people are wired differently.

Do not knock it until you've tried it. I once thought the same thing, but there is nothing like setting up your bullet train with all systems in the green and you speed along the tracks surrounded by the picturesque japanese country side.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I dunno about trains, but Euro Truck Simulator 2 caught me totally off guard a few months ago.

Why is hauling cargo around Europe in a big rear end truck while listening to German trance music fun? No goddamn idea, but it is.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Why does every train only run to rural Poland??

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

flyboi posted:

The phrase "casual market" is kind of inaccurate for the slice of the populace that the Wii captured. Those people that you're talking about are casual gamers. The Wii grew primarily not from casual gamers but from non-gamers - people that had neither owned nor played something resembling a video game since the Tamagotchi.

We're sort of lumping everyone that's "non-hardcore" into the casual market, when there are wildly varying degrees of casualness (casuality?) that all have their own likes and dislikes. Non-gamer adoption of the Wii U is virtually nonexistent, and that's much of the problem underlying its failure.

(also, not enough train simulators)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gendo posted:

Why does every train only run to rural Poland??

Because they invested in it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Gendo posted:

Just gonna plug some GCCX while Im here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvDnKMn3eNw

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

Do not knock it until you've tried it. I once thought the same thing, but there is nothing like setting up your bullet train with all systems in the green and you speed along the tracks surrounded by the picturesque japanese country side.
I think it's the combination of being conceptually simple but being hard in practice so it's actually a challenge, along with the novelty of just being something completely foreign as a game for most people. Plus a train controller if you have one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If Iwata got canned, I hope it would simply be in the form of a demotion. Just tell him to go back to making games.

Balloon Fight 2 at last.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Darn, I was hoping someone would have a comment on my proposed marketing and bundle idea. It seems they could make a more attractive bundle by just coloring it, including some year old software, and cutting some of the fat. Then it wouldn't be a price drop, it would be an all new SKU entirely. I thought evolving the old, very effective marketing campaign for the Wii would be very effective at getting across the idea that the WiiU is something new.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

That's a lot more reasonable to say, I could see happening. Maybe I misunderstood some of the speculation. Saying the Wii U isn't going to last long is one thing, but when people start saying things like "Nintendo's best bet at this point is to put their games on smartphones" I do a cartoonish spittake.

I think the problem with the Wii U is more than just a lack of games, it's a lack of a reason to turn the thing on in spite of it having a lot of features I could use if I just remembered they were there. Between February (if I'm being generous) and about a week ago I didn't touch my Wii U at all. I only started using it again when I heard about the Rayman app, and because that got me using the console again, I've been using Miiverse more, bought Monster Hunter 3U, and even used the TVii function more. It goes without saying that having more games will be a very easy way for them to get more people using the system, but hell, something. Whenever the Rayman app goes away, the Wii U is going to start collecting dust for a lot of people. I really love the Wii U when I remember it exists and have a reason to use it and I generally get the idea a lot of owners feel the exact same.

Crowbear posted:

And the Mario they show at E3 will save us from the boring mediocrity of NSMB. BELIEVE! :911:

I really hope so, the teams behind Galaxy and 3D Land are the only guys doing anything really interesting with the franchise anymore. After Sticker Star turned out to basically be New Paper Mario Bros. my outlook on Mario has gotten really pessimistic. :smith:

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

If you haven't played Lego City Undercover you should. It's good dumb fun.

I'm trying to hit 100% and I don't know why. Probably as a momentary escape from my existential crises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nerdbot posted:

I really hope so, the teams behind Galaxy and 3D Land are the only guys doing anything really interesting with the franchise anymore. After Sticker Star turned out to basically be New Paper Mario Bros. my outlook on Mario has gotten really pessimistic. :smith:
Also I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure NSMB Wii outsold both Mario Galaxies combined, so there's not much of a financial incentive for Nintendo to make more inventive Mario games.

e: 27.6 million sold for NSMB Wii, 10.6m for Mario Galaxy, 6.3m for Mario Galaxy 2

• Locked thread