Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

quadrophrenic posted:

The AI blows at forming NGF, which I often wonder about because for all intents and purposes NGF is really easy to form, mods or no. Especially compared to Germany.

I think it's because the NGF is easiest to form through sphering, which is one of the areas of the game where the AI is most computery.

I meant to rewrite the sphering AI for HoD but ended up running out of time because more important stuff took priority.

It should be better in the beta patch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I was thinking, and given how well they did with the family dynamics and all the expansions with CK2, I'm starting to think they should revisit classical Europe. I think they'd be able to make a game as a patrician Roman family interesting and fun.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Wiz posted:

I meant to rewrite the sphering AI for HoD but ended up running out of time because more important stuff took priority.

It should be better in the beta patch though.
In my newest game with the beta patch and NNM, the NGF existed in 1844. I don't know when they formed because I hadn't really looked at Europe much before that. That's certainly a lot faster than the 1890 date the other guy had.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vodos posted:

In my newest game with the beta patch and NNM, the NGF existed in 1844. I don't know when they formed because I hadn't really looked at Europe much before that. That's certainly a lot faster than the 1890 date the other guy had.
I think the AI has some events in NNM that can cause it form the NGF early, and even without all cores. (Usually those early NGF's lacks Sleschwig for some reason.) I'm guessing it has something to do with rebels.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the AI has some events in NNM that can cause it form the NGF early, and even without all cores. (Usually those early NGF's lacks Sleschwig for some reason.) I'm guessing it has something to do with rebels.

To form the NGF in NNM, Prussia doesn't need to have all of Germany's cores, just to have sphered north German cultured minors, etc I think. Not having to take Alsace-Lorraine would definitely help speed things up until Prussia/NGF can finally raise an army/industry to take on France (who inevitably allies with Russia).

Part of the problem is definitely in the influence game. In my USA game, France managed to snavel Bavaria into their sphere. Instead of working toward it like I would've thought, the NGF was fine to just let France hold onto Bavaria and didn't even bother putting influence into them. When they finally did, they put only the lowest tier of influence into Bavaria AND the two German minors that were also left. It ticked... very slowly. I ended up just jumping in on the game to gently caress over France because I wanted to see Germany in our time.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm pretty sure you don't need Elsaß-Lothringen(!) to form the NGF in vanilla either.

Ed: I'm not good at reading this stuff, but I think this says you need all German cores with North German culture either in your country or your sphere.

code:
		allow = {
			war = no
			GER = {
				all_core = {
					OR = {
						OR = {
							owned_by = THIS
							owner = {
								in_sphere = THIS
							}
						}
						NOT = {
							culture = north_german
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}

Vodos fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 8, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yep, to form the NGF, Prussia only needs to sphere a few nations from the start - Denmark, Holstein, Hanover (which leaves the UK sphere when Vicky ascends to the throne), and Saxony. I think the problem is that AI Prussia has trouble pulling Saxony out of Austria's sphere. Also probably because as I've noticed, Prussia tends to get pretty badly beat up when they take the wrong sides in crises.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
You don't, which is why NGF is so easy. You can form it entirely peacefully through tedious sphere micromanagement.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fister Roboto posted:

Prussia tends to get pretty badly beat up when they take the wrong sides in crises.

In the half-dozen or so HoD games I've played to the endgame, I've never seen a Prussia/NGF/Germany that wasn't a total pariah on the verge of collapse. Prussia pretty much always becomes a democracy by around 1870, then shortly thereafter falls to either reactionaries/fascists/communists and drops off the GP list for a decade or two. It seems like much more of a whipping boy than it was in AHD.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vodos posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't need Elsaß-Lothringen(!) to form the NGF in vanilla either.

Ed: I'm not good at reading this stuff, but I think this says you need all German cores with North German culture either in your country or your sphere.

Yeah, pretty much. Deciphering paradoxese takes some getting used to, but it basically means "for all German Empire cores, they must all be either under your control or sphere, or not be of majority North German culture." Which is a roundabout way of saying you need to sphere all North German culture states.

Fun fact: it's not a requirement for forming the NGF, but if you sphere Luxembourg, they'll be incorporated into the NGF as well.

Also I guess the Assert Hegemony CB has been removed? That might explain some of Prussia's troubles.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Also I guess the Assert Hegemony CB has been removed? That might explain some of Prussia's troubles.

It's there, but it doesn't come online until 1850 to prevent day 1 Austro-Prussian wars.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

It's there, but it doesn't come online until 1850 to prevent day 1 Austro-Prussian wars.

Specifically, it comes online when you invent Nationalism & Imperialism.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The newest Old Gods dev diary goes into some detail on being a Zoroastrian ruler and, holy crap, it looks fun to reclaim Persia.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
And here's a link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1448-Crusader-Kings-II-The-Old-Gods-Dev-Diary-5-Events-Decisions-and-Zoroastrians

I love that dev's handle. "Goosecreature". I like geese. :3:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The tricky part is not the NGF, but the SGF, because it requires all South German culture except for the Alsace, and Prussia owns a piece near Bavaria.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I think this has been covered in the thread before, but I can't seem to find it. How are you supposed to attack a dominion? Specifically, I'm playing a US game and would like to annex some Canadian provinces. Canada is released as a dominion of the UK. You can't declare or justify a war with a dominion. But if I declare war on the UK, Canada never joins in, so I can't add war goals to annex Canadian lands. Am I missing something? Is there anyway to get that land?

EDIT: This is in vanilla HoD

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Deciphering paradoxese takes some getting used to, but it basically means "for all German Empire cores, they must all be either under your control or sphere, or not be of majority North German culture." Which is a roundabout way of saying you need to sphere all North German culture states.

I actually think it would be of benefit to new players if, for some of the more complex events in Paradox games, they had a 'tooltip localization' field for events, and if you defined one of those it would override the automated requirements tooltip with a hand-written 'plain english' description of what you needed to do.

Most events don't need it, but I think some of ones with tons of conditions could use it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fintilgin posted:

I actually think it would be of benefit to new players if, for some of the more complex events in Paradox games, they had a 'tooltip localization' field for events, and if you defined one of those it would override the automated requirements tooltip with a hand-written 'plain english' description of what you needed to do.

Most events don't need it, but I think some of ones with tons of conditions could use it.

This is a fantastic idea, especially since it would let you make complex decisions which are relatively easy to explain in words rather than in logical expressions.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

This is possible in CK2 with hidden_tooltip and custom_tooltip.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's a really good idea. So many decisions have me absolutely confused as to what the actual requirements are.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wiz posted:

This is possible in CK2 with hidden_tooltip and custom_tooltip.

Will that get carried over into new games from Paradox too?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

The tricky part is not the NGF, but the SGF, because it requires all South German culture except for the Alsace, and Prussia owns a piece near Bavaria.

Forming puppet SGF as Austria's pretty easy. Early on you just DOW Prussia Acquire State for Prussian Wurtemburg, Ticking Warscore is your friend and you'll probably win, then puppet SGF forms by decision.

As Bavaria, the task is harder. A lot depends on whether or not Prussia's formed NGF while you've been getting to GP status: if they have your task is much more complicated. Ally a powerful neighbor that can really wail on Prussia/NGF (France is really the only option for the job if NGF is doing well) and attack opportunistically for Prussian Wurtemburg.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I thought March of the Eagles was supposed to be a bit like babby's first paradox game, but the combat is still pretty mysterious (at first glance I mean).

Was there a point in this thread when people were discussing this game?

Or, can someone quickly tell me how much I have to care about flanks in my armies? Like should I be splitting up my forces evenly between all three, or putting particular units on the flanks and others in the middle, or...?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
It would also be nice if you could click on a stipulation and have it highlight all of the states (or whatever) that fit this stipulation. It's really annoying to have the requirement be like it is with the NGF and have to hunt around for countries that have the required culture and cores. I know there's a culture map-mode but it requires switching between multiple map-modes to work out what is owned by who and so on.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Do any mods remove the brigades revolting with revolts? I know it is part of the whole POP system, but I had my late game armies being entirely organised because they decided to rebel.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Without soldier POPs revolting, rebels are even more toothless.

Is there any easy way for me to make rebels even more threatening? I think the rebellion system is the most important part of the "narrative" of V2, and it saddens me when I can smash huge, civil-war level revolts.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Holy hell, I love HoD with the beta patch and NMN. I finally managed to get to number 1 just in time for the game to end, and it was quite a wild ride with multiple great wars, a war of containment against the back then fascist UK where I singlehandedly beat them, and ending up as a conservative welfare state with pretty much everything maxed out.

The world really changed during the game and I think it's the most dynamic session I've played so far.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Star posted:

The world really changed during the game and I think it's the most dynamic session I've played so far.

What's the pink blob between Poland, Austria-Hungary, and Ukraine? Congress Poland? Can the two even exist at the same time?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It looks like Poland-Lithuania but NMN might mess with the country colors.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It's Galicia-Lodomeria if I remember correctly.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sheriff posted:

I think this has been covered in the thread before, but I can't seem to find it. How are you supposed to attack a dominion? Specifically, I'm playing a US game and would like to annex some Canadian provinces. Canada is released as a dominion of the UK. You can't declare or justify a war with a dominion. But if I declare war on the UK, Canada never joins in, so I can't add war goals to annex Canadian lands. Am I missing something? Is there anyway to get that land?

EDIT: This is in vanilla HoD
As far as I know you have to get the UK to release them first. I ran into the issue as US trying to get Canada, and as Scandinavia trying to get Russian Finland. You can't just take them, you need to free them, and then take them.

If there's an easier way, I'd love to know.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

quote:

the discovery of Greenland and Vinland

Sweet! I wonder exactly how this will play out. Map expansion? Shift to Mount and Blade where you fight Indians as Vikings?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
From what they said in interviews, I think it'll be a flavor event, where something pops up with a description and you click "I see."

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I hope you're at least able to sustain the colonies for a period of time. God, imagine CK2 Vinland carrying over to EUIV! Yes puh-leeze.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How can I speed up westernization in HoD? I'm a giant Afghanistan steamrolling my neighbors in 1885 and I'm only at 85% westernization. The UK sphered me so I don't make ungodly sums of money off tariffs anymore. Just put NF on Clergymen and keep spending research points to advance education technology?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Qwo posted:

I hope you're at least able to sustain the colonies for a period of time. God, imagine CK2 Vinland carrying over to EUIV! Yes puh-leeze.

Wah ha ha. With an alternate Uber-Viking Europe and Vinland, I can finally recreate GURPS Midgard for Europa Universalis.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

Wah ha ha. With an alternate Uber-Viking Europe and Vinland, I can finally recreate GURPS Midgard for Europa Universalis.

And then take it into Vicky II for Viking biplanes. Or Darkest Hour for raiding parties with aircraft carriers! :black101:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

V2 question: how the hell AUSTRIA managed to colonize everywhere southwards of Libya? It created a series of principalities one after the another and now is an ungodly mess. :gonk:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Transmetropolitan posted:

V2 question: how the hell AUSTRIA managed to colonize everywhere southwards of Libya? It created a series of principalities one after the another and now is an ungodly mess. :gonk:

If you're playing without the beta patch, there's a bug where the colonial ranges would act like the Suez Canal existed whether it did or not...it's been solved in the beta patch. Now Austria will only heavily colonize if the Suez is built before/during the Scramble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Patter Song posted:

If you're playing without the beta patch, there's a bug where the colonial ranges would act like the Suez Canal existed whether it did or not...it's been solved in the beta patch. Now Austria will only heavily colonize if the Suez is built before/during the Scramble.

Does the game consider whether Austria/whoever else has military access through Suez? Does that even affect whether you can send ships through the canals?

• Locked thread