Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

fount of knowledge posted:

P4(G) -> P3P is fine, the problem is when you try to do P4(G) -> P3:FES.

Although I'm of the opinion that the ideal progression is Persona 3:FES (male) -> Persona 4(G) -> Persona 3 Portable (female). :colbert:

I tried playing FES and failed. Had it from years back, never got into it. Tried playing after P4G and it just did not work. P3P bring enough improvements for me to be fine playing it after P4G, but FES was just too clunky. IMO, the improvements to P3P far outweigh game-play clumsiness on FES. Thankfully Youtube has all the cutscenes. Also, I played as FMC first after hating couple social links on Male MC, so that's relegated to NG+.

FYI, some interesting news out of Marvelous. They bought Atlus Online and now Xseed is Marvelous US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Source please?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RadicalR posted:

Source please?

Here you go, XSEED is just part of Marvelous USA now and we'll still see XSEED Games branding on their releases.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

poo poo, beat me to it.

I'm pretty excited, and it's neat to see that the protag has a default name, for me at least, since I always have to name my character the default name.

Something neat about the names is that each of the heroes' names is a reference to the nicknames given to the heroes from the original SMT in Kaneko Works.

Futsuo, Yoshio, and Waruo. Jonathan is Yonatan in Japanese, which is why there's a Y instead of a J, if I'm not mistaken.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Snix posted:

poo poo, beat me to it.

I'm pretty excited, and it's neat to see that the protag has a default name, for me at least, since I always have to name my character the default name.

Something neat about the names is that each of the heroes' names is a reference to the nicknames given to the heroes from the original SMT in Kaneko Works.

Futsuo, Yoshio, and Waruo. Jonathan is Yonatan in Japanese, which is why there's a Y instead of a J, if I'm not mistaken.

What's up, default name buddy? :):hf::)

Don't the original SMT characters have like 4 different sets of names?

Also, anyone who's into EPP's Ultimate Personas, someone's put up a photoset about the differences in the PSP and PS1 versions. Asteria and Hyperion have gotten more resistances, and Prometheus' Null Dark is actually listed.

Booky fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 7, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Question about the haunted mansion boss

Is there some trick to not getting all your demons returned by her jack-in-the-box thingy? I was able to kill all of her minions and I'm pretty sure I can beat her next time by equipping some ice resist gear, but resummoning all those guys is killing my MAG.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, I felt compelled to replay a SMT title before SMT IV hits and I tried to pick up P3:FES. I like FES and all, but woo boy is this really hard to go back to after P4. Doesn't help that I went through P3 twice (70 hour playthroughs each). The lack of a square button quick-warp is a bummer, and I forgot how ridiculously low key the story is starting out (where the main motivation is literally "go to school, climb this tower." P4 isn't too much better in the beginning, but there is a kind of intrigue with trying to catch a killer).

Kinda want to go through Nocturne again, since a lot of stuff is rather fuzzy (or DDS1/2, even though I remember more from those games). Alternatively, I do have Devil Survivor Overclocked around here somewhere, even though I got all but one of the endings on the DS version. I know vaguely about the 8th Day stuff, but is the voice acting at least fairly decent?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Overclocked VA is definitely hit or miss, some characters get marginally better as the game progresses (Naoya is god awful in the opening but I felt by the end his lines were passable) while some are good from a technical standpoint but not very fitting (Kaido's VA is way too calm sounding for the character) Midori's will make you want to shoot yourself by the end of the game though. But I suppose given her character, it fits. :v:

Also I thought P3:FES did have the square warp and that it was just not available in the original?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also I thought P3:FES did have the square warp and that it was just not available in the original?

It does not. Having played P4 and then FES, having to walk out of school every day (or talk to the NPC who lets you warp) was loving awful.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

It does not. Having played P4 and then FES, having to walk out of school every day (or talk to the NPC who lets you warp) was loving awful.

Ah right, I forgot you had to talk to the student instead, it's been too long.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You're probably thinking of P3P, which did have it. :v:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I just went through same FES vs P3P question and to me P3P just handles a lot better. So if you have Vita or P3P, it's better to play that. Also, if you are looking for SMT game, Soul Hackers is out on 3DS.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there some trick to not getting all your demons returned by her jack-in-the-box thingy? I was able to kill all of her minions and I'm pretty sure I can beat her next time by equipping some ice resist gear, but resummoning all those guys is killing my MAG.

The attack doesn't work on demons with the Calm personality.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Here's a feature on SMT 4 from an NHK program. It's a little awkward but it has a few cool things, like a look at Doi's art in the second half.

V Correct

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 8, 2013

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
If by "awkward" you mean "nearly unwatchable," then yeah, I agree. It's still a cool video, and it's neat seeing some of the new demon designs. I don't mind the Kamen Rider-style things that much, it's different, but it may work. I'm on the part where they talk about the human characters and please stop.

Edit: "The devils versus the heroes. The human people, right?"

You can tell the guy has no idea what this is, but is trying hard to sell it. I feel for him

Snix fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 8, 2013

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Snix posted:

If by "awkward" you mean "nearly unwatchable," then yeah, I agree. It's still a cool video, and it's neat seeing some of the new demon designs. I don't mind the Kamen Rider-style things that much, it's different, but it may work. I'm on the part where they talk about the human characters and please stop.

Edit: "The devils versus the heroes. The human people, right?"

You can tell the guy has no idea what this is, but is trying hard to sell it. I feel for him

The ANCIENT BATTLE between GOOD AND EVIL and THE DEVIL :madmax:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Spoilers for post game Soul Hackers.

I was leveling to go fight King Frost and I've LOST levels? What the noodles?

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 9, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Some attacks can do that, yeah. Loki, Incubus and Succubus all can do it, but there might be others. Also, I think you messed up your spoiler tags there, buddy.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

You can prevent those attacks by using equipment that nulls death though. That'll also make the main character completely immune to instant death, assuming you don't have something that makes him weak against Expel. I usually have those equipped anyways due to bad flashbacks of random Mudo's in Strange Journey.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

ChaosArgate posted:

Some attacks can do that, yeah. Loki, Incubus and Succubus all can do it, but there might be others. Also, I think you messed up your spoiler tags there, buddy.

Bother, two of those three are on this level. And sorry about that. I fixed them.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

MechaX posted:

Man, I felt compelled to replay a SMT title before SMT IV hits and I tried to pick up P3:FES. I like FES and all, but woo boy is this really hard to go back to after P4. Doesn't help that I went through P3 twice (70 hour playthroughs each). The lack of a square button quick-warp is a bummer, and I forgot how ridiculously low key the story is starting out (where the main motivation is literally "go to school, climb this tower." P4 isn't too much better in the beginning, but there is a kind of intrigue with trying to catch a killer).

Kinda want to go through Nocturne again, since a lot of stuff is rather fuzzy (or DDS1/2, even though I remember more from those games). Alternatively, I do have Devil Survivor Overclocked around here somewhere, even though I got all but one of the endings on the DS version. I know vaguely about the 8th Day stuff, but is the voice acting at least fairly decent?

Coincidentally, I recently purchased Nocturne in an attempt to familiarize myself with the SMT series, due to a combination of being interested in the upcoming SMTxFE game, acquiring and playing a bit of the Sega Saturn version of Soul Hackers, and being told by others that it sounds like the kind of series I'd enjoy (old school RPG combat mechanics I guess). I am enjoying the hell out of the game, especially after getting past the Matador on the second attempt. It's like my Pokémon sessions finally paid off elsewhere!

Quick Nocturne question: I'm at level 23 at the moment, with a few level 20 demons, and a level 16 Jack Frost with a move pool I enjoy a lot. Is there anyway I can accelerate his XP growth or make him stronger, or am I just gonna have to part with him sooner rather than later?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Quick Nocturne question: I'm at level 23 at the moment, with a few level 20 demons, and a level 16 Jack Frost with a move pool I enjoy a lot. Is there anyway I can accelerate his XP growth or make him stronger, or am I just gonna have to part with him sooner rather than later?

There are demons called Mitamas which can be bought from Rag's Jewelry in Ginza or fused with Element demons that, when fused to a demon, raise the recipient's stats by a total of 3 points. You can use them ad infinitum as long as your Macca holds out or until all of his stats are twice what they are naturally at that level. Eventually you will just need to get rid of him unless his moveset's absolutely outstanding, but you can prolong it with Mitamas.

Incidentally, do you know where you put your first Pixie?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

alcharagia posted:

Incidentally, do you know where you put your first Pixie?

Still sitting in storage. Why?

EDIT: Oh wait, no, she was involved in a botched demon fusion.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Still sitting in storage. Why?

EDIT: Oh wait, no, she was involved in a botched demon fusion.

Fusion accidents are cool. Hell, fusion's cool. Just don't dismiss or sacrifice that Pixie or whatever it becomes. You'll thank me later.

Way later. But trust me on this one.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

alcharagia posted:

Fusion accidents are cool. Hell, fusion's cool. Just don't dismiss or sacrifice that Pixie or whatever it becomes. You'll thank me later.

Way later. But trust me on this one.

Does it matter if the resultant demon gets fused with something else?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nah. What you're going to need is a direct descendant of that initial Pixie through fusion or the Pixie in question. So, you can fuse it 50 times if you want, it'll still be cool as long as the Pixie or its descendant isn't dismissed or sacrificed.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mercury Crusader posted:

As a note, you'll be able to tell which demon is the descendent of the Pixie because it will always be in the top slot of your demon stock. Never sacrifice or release that demon.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I don't know why people make such a big deal out of that reward, I never even used the super-pixie by the end of the game. v:v:v

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

El Belmondo posted:

I don't know why people make such a big deal out of that reward, I never even used the super-pixie by the end of the game. v:v:v

It makes it very easy to get through the Fifth Kalpa's stat requirement doors.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

alcharagia posted:

Nah. What you're going to need is a direct descendant of that initial Pixie through fusion or the Pixie in question. So, you can fuse it 50 times if you want, it'll still be cool as long as the Pixie or its descendant isn't dismissed or sacrificed.

jonjonaug posted:

As a note, you'll be able to tell which demon is the descendent of the Pixie because it will always be in the top slot of your demon stock. Never sacrifice or release that demon.

Thanks for the info! I had to double-check my team, and it looks like I had her involved in several fusions, but she still exists for the most part. Currently a Forneus with Zio, oddly enough.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mercury Crusader posted:

Coincidentally, I recently purchased Nocturne in an attempt to familiarize myself with the SMT series, due to a combination of being interested in the upcoming SMTxFE game, acquiring and playing a bit of the Sega Saturn version of Soul Hackers, and being told by others that it sounds like the kind of series I'd enjoy (old school RPG combat mechanics I guess). I am enjoying the hell out of the game, especially after getting past the Matador on the second attempt. It's like my Pokémon sessions finally paid off elsewhere!

The damage formulas in Nocturne take the demon's base level into account, so even if you try to grind up Jack Frost's stats or level him up, he'll still fall behind. If you really like his skill set, you could just try to pass it on during fusion (the skills a demon inherits during fusion are randomized, you can cancel back one menu after it displays what skills the demon will inherit and then reselect to roll a different set).

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

The Moon Monster posted:

If you're still having trouble, the wife beat this one by leaving the extra dorks alone and attacking her in the back row. Mabufula is a motherfucker and she seems to not cast it if there's anyone else in her party. YMMV but it worked a treat.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

So, has anyone seen STEVEN's new art yet? Because it looks great. :allears: (And the new video too!)

I wonder what new upgrades he'll be giving to the COMP besides increasing the stock?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm digging his new digital chair, perhaps he's been surfing through time again.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

El Belmondo posted:

I'm digging his new digital chair, perhaps he's been surfing through time again.

How old is he at this point? Centuries old?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
How does he cross his legs if he's wheelchair-bound? :confused:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

W.T. Fits posted:

How does he cross his legs if he's wheelchair-bound? :confused:

There are people with wheelchairs who can move them, but not enough to walk on all day.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
More like how does he cross his legs like that without crushing his balls.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Handgun Harlot posted:

More like how does he cross his legs like that without crushing his balls.

Unless his balls are the size of grapefruit, I'm gonna guess he's going to be OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, the Devil Summoner MC is a ginormous jump in difficulty from the other EX bosses in Soul Hackers, which should be expected. Then again, the other bosses better be piss easy if you have to fight them all again everyone time you leave and come back. With the said, I should probably grind more. I figured I'd fight the bosses with the time stones again, but I'm once again stuck on King Frost. MC and Nemissa have an AG at 20, but that doesn't stop his suicide attack. I would just use a physical mirror like last time, but I don't have any physical mirrors. My demon with tetrakarn has an AG of 16, with doesn't beat out the boss's, and I can't just keep using Heaven's Judgment or whatever from Metatron or Vishnu because the boss's suicide attack beats out their AG. Do I have to just grind with finder's keepers until I get a physical mirror, do I have to hide the MC behind everyone and hope he isn't slaughtered, or what?