Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Z3n posted:

Seems like he's asking way too much for it. It's probably jetted like poo poo, but maybe not.

With those pods on it? yeah, it is jetted for poo poo. The dynojet stage 3 kit is for an open 4-1 and K&N pods, those are emgo pods, and are more restrictive than the stock airbox. Stock they'll do 125, so getting it up to 95 is nothing exciting.

He's asking a grand to much for a clean example. Much less one that's been gutted like that. The frame's been cut, so there's really no going back.

Does anyone else not see a taillight, or a license plate mount, or is it just me?

For $500 it might be an Ok deal, provided he can show you a clean title, brake light, and license plate mount. For $1000, I'd laugh at you. For $2200, I'd try to sell you oceanfront property in south dakota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Ha, had a guy come up to me and start talking bikes, said he wanted a Ninja. "Which one?" "I don't know." So I started talking about the various beginner ninjas, and he got this look on his face and said he might be considering a wide glide, which is where I quickly ended the conversation because if you're in a teenager or in your early 20's and talking about buying a luxury road sofa new you're in dreamworld and not going to buy a loving bike because you want to ride but rather because you just want a certain look. Dude didn't want any advice beyond a "yahbrah".

Being pedantic, but the Wide Glide's on the Dyna frame and is your basic skinny-front-wheel Harley, the road sofas you're thinking of are the tourers like the Road Glide / Electra Glide

Of course that guy was probably of the "every sport bike is called a Ninja" crowd so I doubt he knew the different Harleys either

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Being pedantic, but the Wide Glide's on the Dyna frame and is your basic skinny-front-wheel Harley, the road sofas you're thinking of are the tourers like the Road Glide / Electra Glide

Of course that guy was probably of the "every sport bike is called a Ninja" crowd so I doubt he knew the different Harleys either

Honestly the only Harleys I could reliably identify are the 883, the 1200 sportster and the xr1200 because everything else is just too far outside of what I'd like to ride.

It's fun when one of my tenants starts talking about getting a bike because all he knows is the name H-D. "So you wanna get the xr1200? A little sportier, a little flat-tracker inspired?" "Yeah! I'm gonna get a 2013!" "They don't make that one anymore." "Oh." "So which one do you want to get?" "The big one!" OK.

I guess my point was it was refreshing and I love it when posters like Abe Froman ask a million questions and then go with the smaller bike because they think it'll suit them better. Here in the states it's too much about choosing a style and buying the biggest cc bike you can afford.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hey guys, I need a price check. I'm trying to find an old UJM as my first bike but everything in this city is going for nearly original retail. So this:

1980 CB400T Hawk. With a CB450 engine and rebuilt title as PO built it from other bikes. Brakes recently redone. Asking $1600 down from $1870 last week.

The next cheapest UJM is a '75 CB550 with charger issues for $4k :suicide:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rime posted:

Hey guys, I need a price check. I'm trying to find an old UJM as my first bike but everything in this city is going for nearly original retail. So this:

1980 CB400T Hawk. With a CB450 engine and rebuilt title as PO built it from other bikes. Brakes recently redone. Asking $1600 down from $1870 last week.

Where the gently caress do you live? Also it seems you have been only looking at Honda UJM :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Rime posted:

Where?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Vancouver BC. The poo poo I've seen being hocked since I started looking a month ago...

It would be less of a problem if anyone had actually made a >250cc standard in the past 30 years. People around here act like UJM's are gold no matter how poo poo they are.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 8, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Rime posted:

Vancouver BC. The poo poo I've seen being hocked since I started looking a month ago...

It would be less of a problem if anyone had actually made a >250cc standard in the past 30 years. People around here act like UJM's are gold no matter how poo poo they are.

I personally wouldn't buy a frankenbike as a first bike, you'll have constant Previous Owner Problems and not be able to tell what's normal and what's your bike being all hosed up

At a glance:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3780472087.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3781495030.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3790354863.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3789573951.html

but yeah, your prices seem out of whack, a fellow Canadien would be better to say what's right and what's not. There's always the option of a trainride to Seattle if an '80s UJM is cheaper with the hipsters there.

E: That '06 Ninja is a much better option as a first bike than a 30 year old ride

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 8, 2013

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's starting to look like Seattle, this is the first bike in my price range ($1500 or less) that has popped up and I've been looking for three weeks. I was zeroing on Honda UJM's because I grew up around one and they are dead simple to repair if anything goes wrong.

You're right though, Frankenbike is a terrible idea. If nothing shows up by June maybe I'll just say gently caress it and buy a KLR.

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 8, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The thing about a "$1500 bike" (or whatever the equivalent is in Canada maple leaves or syrup jugs) is that it quite often needs considerable work to be in good riding shape. Battery, tires, brakes, the carbs need going over, etc. If you already know how to feel when these things are needed, and especially if you're mechanically savvy enough to handle them yourself, it can be a good bargain, but if you're not, and you're just learning what riding feels like in the first place, it can be a bad combination, a money pit, and a souring experience. This is especially true on a 30-year-old bike where decades of prior owner neglect may have stacked, and parts may not be readily available at the nearest dealer.

If you can save up more to $2000 you can dodge a lot of this. Note you can bargain, and all the bikes I listed you could easily bargain below $2k - some maybe even to $1500 (The Yamaha obviously even less.) Remember you need to budget for gear as well.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!
Vancouver goon here. You're not likely to find a reliable bike in decent cosmetic shape for under $2000 in the lower mainland, especially this time of year. I have a buddy who might be selling a ratty-looking-but-good-running Maxim 400 ('83?), but it really is not a pretty bike. If you have your heart set on buying a decent bike before the fall, you're going to have to save up a bit more I'm afraid.

Bringing a bike across the border has its own issues, and I'm not sure it will end up cheaper for you. I don't have a ton of experience with that, though - I'd search around some of the local forums for details (e.g. BCSportsBikes.com).

If you're looking for people to ride with when you do end up getting a bike, shoot me a PM.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Thanks! Yeah, the budget was so low because I'm shelling out for riding school and gear as well and don't want to eat into my savings too hard, and biek wiki lead me to believe old UJM's were a dime a dozen. Apparently if the bike is older than 15 years old it's not too much of a hassle to bring across the border, they don't even require an inspection. Keeping my eye on Seattle and the various local forums to see if anything comes up, but it's going on 3 weeks now without much luck.

iqarus
Mar 31, 2008
is an '06 bmw k1200r a good idea as a first open license bike after riding a kawasaki 650r for a year ?

i was going to keep the 650 and spend a bunch of cash on LED's, cowl/bellypan, mirrors etc etc etc. but iv gotten to the point where im wanting more power, it just runs out of steam at 140km/h

looking to spend $10k AUD and keep insurance under $150/month, only two bikes i can find so far that fit that is the bmw or a 06-07 ktm 990 duke.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
K1200Rs are pretty hot looking and produce a mountain of horsepower. If you feel like you are comfortable handling the 650R, you'll probably be fine with the K. I rode a K1300GT for 160 miles through eastern Idaho and I liked the way it handles the freeway at 135mph, but it's kind of a heavy feeling bike all around... I'd expect a 1200R to be a little lighter though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
A K1200R is a big heavy bike with a big heavy (but very strong) engine. This doesn't always come across in internet pictures. It's a sport-tourer with less plastics. It's also got a really odd feeling suspension, especially up front. If this is what you want, that's great, but sit on one and preferably get a test ride before you decide.

BMW parts and maintenance costs are also really obnoxious. The 1200 engine had some issues, but I think they were resolved by '06 - but google around, there may be transmission worries still.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Didn't those suffer the really lovely final drive problem too?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's also got a really odd feeling suspension, especially up front.

It's a little odd but it's also way cool. It's nice the way the bike doesn't dive real bad on hard braking - just kid of sits the bike down a little lower when you jam the brakes. It also isolates the damping and steering forces from each other, that's probably one reason it feels a little weird to some folks.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Some coworker of my friend is selling a a VFR750F for $2k. Info is sparse, but judging by the pics it's a mostly clean example of a 94-97 model. Assuming it checks out, would this be an okay bike at that price? I'm told it has "low mileage", but how low remains to be seen. I'm super anxious to get back on a bike and I'm afraid it's clouding my judgement a bit.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

A K1200R is a big heavy bike with a big heavy (but very strong) engine. This doesn't always come across in internet pictures. It's a sport-tourer with less plastics. It's also got a really odd feeling suspension, especially up front. If this is what you want, that's great, but sit on one and preferably get a test ride before you decide.

BMW parts and maintenance costs are also really obnoxious. The 1200 engine had some issues, but I think they were resolved by '06 - but google around, there may be transmission worries still.

I'll quote someone on bmwsuperbikes.com (my boldings).

quote:

Examined my dissembled transmission at dealer. Obvious damage to 2nd gear shift dogs (the pegs that extend sideways from the gears) -- edges brutally rounded off. The dog housing into which they slide was scuffed, and the dog slots were likewise damaged. Gear faces themselves looked OK. No obvious clutch damage.

One face of a shifter fork was very damaged -- scuffed and abraded, looked almost burned. Forks themselves weren't visually bent. The shaft on which the forks slide might have been bent -- the forks would slightly bind at one point when sliding them back and forth on the shaft.

Apparently under high loads in 2nd gear the dogs would slip out of the dog slots, rotate at least 45 deg, then brutally slip back in, restoring power. I can't believe the entire transmission didn't explode under that load !!!

The big question: which of that damage is the result of failure propagation, vs which (if any) was the initial root cause. More importently, what exactly was the root cause? Was it a component failure or was it mis-assembled somehow? Maybe insufficient design margins on one of the components?

The entire transmission will be replaced with a new one, oil analysis done, oil & filter changed, all under warranty. The damaged parts will be sent to Germany if BMW requests. ETA to complete this is 1 week, I'd guess 2 weeks more likely.

I'm at least the 4th person so far to experience this exact same failure. See this thread for the others:. http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5921

I think in all cases there was no known preceding cause -- no crash, no mis-shift, no speed shifting, etc. Low mileage in each case (one had only about 2,000 mi.). Just normal operation, then one day the problem happens.

I've also heard of some cases where it happens again, after having one transmission swapped.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Eh, the consistent thing there is a bent shift fork and stiction on the shift fork rods. I'd bet they either got a bad batch of shift fork rods or shift forks and it causes it to not actually make it all the way into 2nd gear, just engages it partway. Over time, the dogs get extra worn because the transmission isn't engaging completely, and then it starts to skip, and once it starts skipping, wear increase, and off you go.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pros:
- Few scratches and blemishes, but looks amazing for a 13 year old bike.
- Few tastefull mods, nothing extravagant.
- Exhaust sounds like Cold anger, you would not know its a 1100cc engine.
- Owner took really good care of it.
- I will pick it up on Friday :getin:

Cons:
- Got it for 3000, could have gone for less, but gently caress IT.

Now recommend me the MOST CA vanity plate for this bike, for example:
"T-REX"
"TRMBE"

et al.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like fun. What's going on with that swing arm - tubular?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's meant to look like the braced swingarms you got as an aftermarket part in the 70's.

ElMaligno posted:

Pros:
- Few scratches and blemishes, but looks amazing for a 13 year old bike.
- Few tastefull mods, nothing extravagant.
- Exhaust sounds like Cold anger, you would not know its a 1100cc engine.
- Owner took really good care of it.
- I will pick it up on Friday :getin:

Cons:
- Got it for 3000, could have gone for less, but gently caress IT.

Now recommend me the MOST CA vanity plate for this bike, for example:
"T-REX"
"TRMBE"

et al.

What's with the bar ends? Also has really long mirror stalks. I'd cut back the plate holder asap.

Also:
[Z-REX]
[ZRXES]

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slavvy posted:

It's meant to look like the braced swingarms you got as an aftermarket part in the 70's.

What's with the bar ends? Also has really long mirror stalks. I'd cut back the plate holder asap.

Also:
[Z-REX]
[ZRXES]

Barends are apparently to dampen vibration and the mirrors have... Mirror extenders, so they look longer. Also that plate holder has extra LED stop lights that are linked to the braking system, so I will probably keep the fender.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Barends are apparently to dampen vibration and the mirrors have... Mirror extenders, so they look longer. Also that plate holder has extra LED stop lights that are linked to the braking system, so I will probably keep the fender.

But weight loss :qq:

Seriously though, it's a pretty tidy bike and now there is one other person with a 'rex on CA at least :)

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Picked up the SV650 today. The ride home was a 40 minute orgasm. The only thing I don't like is the pitch of the seat pushes me forward and crushes my nuts against the tank. Guess I'll have to look into an aftermarket seat.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I'm looking for my first motorcycle, well first adult motorcycle. I grew up riding a Honda Z50 and a MR50 all over my grandparents' farm, so I know how to operate a motorcycle, but I've never had a license to ride on the road. I out grew those about 20 years ago, and haven't ridden motorcycles regularly since. (I have my permit now, and will sign up for one of those riding schools this summer.)

I'm looking for a good beginner bike that I can commute on. It's 11.5 miles each way with about 5 on the highway. I would like to spend around $2K on something I can gain experience on before dropping $10K on something I'm going to keep for a while.

My dad was a Honda mechanic for years, so my first instinct is to buy a Honda. Having read this thread's love of 250's I thought either the CBR250 or the CRF250 since I don't like cruisers. I know these both start around $4K, but I needed a reference point.

I went to the dealership and both of those felt as undersized as the MR50 did when I was 13. I recognize the fact that 250 cc's is enough to push my 230 lbs around, but at 6'4" I felt like my knees were above the tank of the CBR. The CRF felt much better. It wasn't the upright position, I pedal a road bike a few thousand miles per year, I think it was the higher seat height but I'm not sure. I don't think I'll ever ride off road, so is it dumb to buy a dual-sport? The CB500F felt just about perfect, but I don't want to drop $6K on a bike I might drop.

The mechanic genes didn't pass on and my dad lives in Minnesota and I live in CA (Santa Rosa) so a project is a no.

TL;DR: Please recommend motorcycles for a 6'4" inexperienced rider, and tell me how stupid I would be to buy new at a dealership. (Do you pay sticker or haggle?)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Don't buy new. You want a used KLR650.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you look at used bikes you'll get a lot closer to your price point and avoid the new vehicle depreciation. Ninja250s are the go to low displacement recommendation, but that might not work in your case. I'm about 6'2" and I find the Ninja to be small, and the cbr to be small but more fitting. My legs actually fit the gas tank on the CBR for example. If you think that is too small then the ninja is probably right out as an option.

Check out classifieds for used dual sports in your area. I'd think there would be a lot. I'd avoid dealers unless you have a specific new bike you want.

Riding those little bikes around the farm will give you a step ahead of a complete newbie, but the physics of street riding are completely different. If you don't seek out a riding class (they have ones for 'returning riders' geared more at people like you), I'd at least look for some books or videos on street riding. There's a really good video series from the 80s called "Street Smarts" that you can probably find on amazon or your favorite search engine, it was full of great tips for riding on the street as I recall.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Stitecin posted:

I recognize the fact that 250 cc's is enough to push my 230 lbs around, but at 6'4"

Snowdens Secret posted:

Don't buy new. You want a used KLR650.

nsaP posted:

used dual sports

KLARRRRRR!

SIX FIDDY!

Seriously. Kawasaki designed the KLR in the 80s, and the design remained mostly unchanged until 2007 (when it got a minor facelift). Find a well-loved example and continue trying to run it into the ground. If you maintain it well, you probably won't kill it.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 9, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Now that I've got a moment to effortpost: The KLR is a good bike for big riders. The 650 thumper is docile enough for newer riders but has enough grunt to carry heavy men at highway speed. It's rugged enough for beginner abuse. You can find them a dime a dozen all day in your price range; they've gone unchanged for 20-odd years except for a cosmetic refresh in '07 or so so you can buy an older one without worry. It's versatile enough that you may want to keep it around when you get a fancier bike, and if not you can sell it for about what you paid for it.

Also seconding what nsaP said: if your last experience was on 50cc dirtbikes 20 years ago you're pretty much starting from scratch, look into an MSF basic rider course, worst case it's a review and some insurance places give you a discount.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just don't forget to check the oil. Old designed in the 80s single cylinder thumpers love to burn oil at freeway speeds.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Just don't forget to check the oil. Old designed in the 80s single cylinder thumpers love to burn oil at freeway speeds.

You're getting a bit ahead of yourself. There's a 50/50 shot the OP comes back with "Well I bought a new CRF250..."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

You're getting a bit ahead of yourself. There's a 50/50 shot the OP comes back with "Well I bought a new CRF250..."

Well in that case he'll need to check quite a bit more often. :v:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also seconding what nsaP said: if your last experience was on 50cc dirtbikes 20 years ago you're pretty much starting from scratch, look into an MSF basic rider course, worst case it's a review and some insurance places give you a discount.

I haven't booked a place in one of these classes yet because my rugby team is still alive in the playoffs. I totally recognize that I am starting as new rider. Even if I didn't, I'd do it because in California if you're over 21 and take a certified course you get your full license without taking the road test. Screw trying to deal with the California DMV.

I'm also not going to buy that CRF. I just want to gain enough experience so if I buy the CB1100 that I really want I'll have the skills to ride it safely.

Does this sound like a good deal? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3789447515.html or this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3760485096.html

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 9, 2013

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

So I picked up this bike, a mostly clean 03 with 20k on the odo. He didn't mention that it was dropped at one point, but the only damage was to the $40 crankcase cover. Paid $2700.

On the way home, I dropped the thing. Lowsided it really, but that's a post for another thread. Broke off a mirror, bent the clutch lever, and gouged up the stator cover. No other damage thankfully.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Opinions on the Volusia 800? Intermediate rider.

http://wausau.craigslist.org/mcy/3750239067.html

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Abe Froman posted:

Picked up the SV650 today. The ride home was a 40 minute orgasm. The only thing I don't like is the pitch of the seat pushes me forward and crushes my nuts against the tank. Guess I'll have to look into an aftermarket seat.

I had the same issue and a sergeant seat fixed it for me. Actually reading your post reminded me that I hated the stock seat and the sergeant was the answer for the forward pitch, hot spots, and a sore rear end after an hour on the bike.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Trying to decide between a DRZ400S and a DRZ400SM, how's the SM's suspension off road? Would this be a good deal?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3720845186.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Trying to decide between a DRZ400S and a DRZ400SM, how's the SM's suspension off road? Would this be a good deal?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3720845186.html

Probably already sold, deleted. So yes, it was a good deal!

The SM suspension is fine for offroad.