Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like just paying the $500 is the better option here, since I can at least potentially get it back, whereas with the other one I'm at least $80 in the hole. That sound right?

Potentially far more than $80 that depending on what the new landlord would consider abnormal wear and tear. The waiver sounds like a catch all on his part to dick you with anything he doesn't feel like covering when you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DSauer posted:

Potentially far more than $80 that depending on what the new landlord would consider abnormal wear and tear. The waiver sounds like a catch all on his part to dick you with anything he doesn't feel like covering when you leave.

That's kinda what I figured. I guess it's good for people who are short on immediate cash (and therefore probably have no business moving in the first place), but I'm ok with paying the security deposit.

Gonna wander over and sign for it. Yaaay closer to work and garage and gas range~

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ciaphas posted:

Man, hiring packers. That's either living the highlife or a recipe for chipped, broken, torn and missing belongings, I'm not sure which.

Growing up military we always had packers and never had any mishaps with stuff getting broken. We did have some issues with them one time labeling EVERY SINGLE BOX "closet items" (that was fun unpacking, every box was a surprise!), but everything showed up in one piece. YMMV, I guess. That being said I'm going to pack and move my small valuable and/or breakable items myself so they don't disappear or get broken during the packing process if I do hire packers.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
I just moved into a new place and I have a couple decorating questions..

I was able to snag a couch frame in really nice condition for free but of course it has no cushions.

I was looking on eBay and looks like I can get a 6" thick memory foam cushion replacement pad at the length and depth of the couch for $60(pre shipping). All in all not a bad price for an eight foot couch. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any cheaper places that supply cushion replacement material or if this $60 is probably the cheapest I'll find.

Other thing is, a local art store was having a massive sale so I picked up a few canvasses because a while back I saw cheap to make and cool looking canvases that had decoupaged graphics on them. So I picked up four canvases for a total of $20 bucks and one of them is a big 36x48 one that I have absolutely no clue what to put on it. Anyone have any suggestions? Something more mature, not like, video game related or whatever. It's also for a bedroom with blue walls.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

You could always make some melted crayon art. I would practice on another canvas before tackling the big one.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Is it worth complaining to the landlord when the landlord is the one being an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat?

They've hired a landscaping company that starts mowing the common area at 6:30 in the morning, which I'm sure breaks some sort of noise ordinance. Then when they use the leaf blowers to clear off the sidewalks they blow it all under my front door so I come home to a giant pile of dirt inside.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am confused, because unless you have a reason to assume your landlord told them to do that, it sounds like the rear end in a top hat is the landscaping company. Tell your landlord that the landscapers are loving around and he might very well tell them to quit it or fire them. I doubt he wants poo poo blown into his house any more than you do.

You can also yell directly at the landscapers, not like it can hurt.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Is it worth complaining to the landlord when the landlord is the one being an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat?

They've hired a landscaping company that starts mowing the common area at 6:30 in the morning, which I'm sure breaks some sort of noise ordinance. Then when they use the leaf blowers to clear off the sidewalks they blow it all under my front door so I come home to a giant pile of dirt inside.

Just complain. He might not even realize how much of a pain in the rear end the company is being. I'm not sure if it will fix the 6:30am thing but the leafblower thing is unacceptable.

In an unrelated story, I might FINALLY be leaving my Mom's house. I've wanted to move since I moved back with my Mom (and recently pregnant sister). I plan on moving in with my girlfriend but it might be a wee-bit too soon for her. She doesn't have 100% job security at the moment. I'm a little anxious to move, due to some recent legal issues surrounding my Moms house that might leave my whole family homeless. So to quell my anxiety, I'm apartment hunting again.

I found a nice place for a reasonable price that included heat and hot water. When I asked them to see what was available, they said the only available apartment with Heat & Hot Water included was 200$ more than they advertised. That is some serious bullshit. Luckily I have other options, so I don't have to count on this place being affordable. How often should I expect poo poo like this to happen? I think I'm going to dispute the price and see what happens.

My girlfriend got clued into an apartment in a small city on the south shore of massachusetts. It would be rented through a friend of a friend of her Mom, so we might get a bit of a deal. The price is really right, but there is a good possibility that it is the size of a closet. We're going to hopefully tour it next week.

I've always wondered, do landlords charge substantially more for including Heat and hot water? My gut says yes. E: I mean do they charge substantially more than the cost of heat?

I'd love any general tips for apartment hunting that is specific to Massachusetts. I've read a bunch of resources so I've got a grasp of general stuff.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 6, 2013

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I think it's pretty common for landlords to pull poo poo like that when they're advertising. I found a studio at the top of my price range that charged $50 extra a month if there was more than one resident. Only supplying utilities to one unit seems suspect, though.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I've always wondered, do landlords charge substantially more for including Heat and hot water? My gut says yes. E: I mean do they charge substantially more than the cost of heat?

Whether it's worth it or not depends on the building, I think. If it's a really old drafty building then winter heating bills can easily go to like $500 a month, and if that's Nov-Feb (probably also Oct & March but less) you're talking well above a thousand or even 2 thousand. If you're in the former situation, $100 or a little more extra a month for included utilities could be worth it. $200 a month is pushing it and in a multi-unit complex that seems like a bad deal. Better to pay for your own heat and invest in some sweaters than pay an extra $2400 over the year. For some house rentals, you pay so many hundreds of dollars up front in the fall to fill up the oil tank, and that could be a lot of money all at once for some people and it might be easier to just pay throughout the year through rent. Right now my apartment is pretty cheap and heat/HW is included, but it was like 80 degrees in the apartment all winter so we had the windows cracked when it was snowing. Good deal, on the whole, even if it felt ridiculous.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Whether it's worth it or not depends on the building, I think. If it's a really old drafty building then winter heating bills can easily go to like $500 a month, and if that's Nov-Feb (probably also Oct & March but less) you're talking well above a thousand or even 2 thousand. If you're in the former situation, $100 or a little more extra a month for included utilities could be worth it. $200 a month is pushing it and in a multi-unit complex that seems like a bad deal. Better to pay for your own heat and invest in some sweaters than pay an extra $2400 over the year. For some house rentals, you pay so many hundreds of dollars up front in the fall to fill up the oil tank, and that could be a lot of money all at once for some people and it might be easier to just pay throughout the year through rent. Right now my apartment is pretty cheap and heat/HW is included, but it was like 80 degrees in the apartment all winter so we had the windows cracked when it was snowing. Good deal, on the whole, even if it felt ridiculous.

The areas we're looking in have apartments that are all around the same price but it is a 50% chance they include heat. It feels like a better deal in general to look for utilities to be included, but its good to know that I should I have to pay it will only be 100$ more.

Either way, the bait and switch is off putting in general. Just to be clear the original ad said Heat was included for 1225, and then when I contacted them they said it was 1450.

And yes I know Massachusetts prices are :smith:.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think that you will see people including utilities for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it is because the unit isn't metered/divided properly so there is no way for a tenant to set up a utility account. Some states (like Massachusetts) don't allow landlords to charge tenants for utilities separately unless it is properly metered and tracked, so they might be stuck lumping on an addition to the rent to cover it, and I am sure they overestimate to be sure that they don't come up short. Some landlords also do this because they have had bad experiences with tenants screwing around with the utilities on their own accounts and don't want to risk it any more.

I also live in Massachusetts, and we are renting a 2+Bd in an old three-unit building. I just checked and apparently it was built in 1870 (holy poo poo) and while it has certainly been renovated since then it hasn't been stripped and rebuilt or anything. We have balanced billing for our gas, and that means we spend $60 a month all year, and generally our power bill averages around $50. So if you're getting a $200 bump for utilities, it either means the place is huge, seriously lovely, or you are getting gouged.

Also my advice for renting in MA is to tell every agent you talk to gently caress right off, and try to rent directly from a landlord. Rental agencies are total poo poo, and will charge you a month's rent to lie to you.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh yeah theres no way in hell I'm paying a realtor fee. My friend did that and he basically paid his rent in 'fees' to the realtor on top of first and last months rent up front.

Im really glad you guys put utilities in perspective for me, because I had no loving clue about how much anything costs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You can actually call a utility company and tell them that you are planning to move and would like to know the average/recent rate for a specific property. They won't always be able to give it to you (if it hasn't been active for a while, I think) but it can help give you a real idea of what the costs will be. We had one dude showing us this pretty neat loft area, but it had this weird huge industrial heat system and cavernous ceilings. Turns out heat would have hit $400 a month in the winter. No thanks!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
It's great to have the option of calling the utility companies and finding out a location's utility history, and I've done that myself. But it's not the most accurate indicator since some people are perfectly happy to crank the heat up to 78 degrees in the winter, and I will set mine to 66-67 degrees and wear more clothes. My utilities have always been at least a third less than the person before me, so far.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

I am in the market for an appealing curtain rod. I went to the stores (Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Winners, Wicker Emporium) in town that I thought would have a good selection, but all have the same design under different labels. There are literally only 5 curtain rod ends that you can choose from. All curtain rods also come with the same ugly bracket for mounting. I have no idea how anyone puts up with this. It feels like there is only one big factory in China that is the source of the world's curtain rods. If that factory were to burn down, people would have to resort to stapling their curtains to the wall.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

I am in the market for an appealing curtain rod. I went to the stores (Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Winners, Wicker Emporium) in town that I thought would have a good selection, but all have the same design under different labels. There are literally only 5 curtain rod ends that you can choose from. All curtain rods also come with the same ugly bracket for mounting. I have no idea how anyone puts up with this. It feels like there is only one big factory in China that is the source of the world's curtain rods. If that factory were to burn down, people would have to resort to stapling their curtains to the wall.

I can see what you mean. I looked at Target's online selection and they are pretty samey, although some are a little different:

http://www.target.com/p/xhilaration-butterfly-drapery-rod/-/A-13299418 (:barf:)
http://www.target.com/p/umbra-loft-cage-drapery-rod/-/A-12156886
http://www.target.com/p/xhilaration-scroll-drapery-rod/-/A-13299417

I've found a few at Wayfair that I haven't seen before: (there are different colors and single/double sets for most of these)
http://www.wayfair.com/BCL-Drapery-Hardware-Leaf-Curtain-Rod-in-Antique-Gold-58LFG-BDH1009.html
http://www.wayfair.com/Elegant-Home-Fashions-Fraser-Window-Rod-Set-C11204W-C21204W-EHF1360.html
http://www.wayfair.com/BCL-Drapery-Hardware-Wire-Twist-Curtain-Rod-in-Black-58TWB-BDH1036.html
http://www.wayfair.com/Elegant-Home-Fashions-Shoreline-Window-Rod-Set-C11604W-C21604W-EHF1372.html
http://www.wayfair.com/BCL-Drapery-Hardware-Classic-Ball-1.25-Double-Curtain-Rod-in-Black-125DBLB-BDH1086.html
http://www.wayfair.com/BCL-Drapery-Hardware-Leaf-Double-Curtain-Rod-in-Antique-Silver-58DLFS-BDH1013.html

and there are probably others because I didn't look at everything. I did look through the whole BCL Drapery Hardware collection since they say "solid steel" about the rod, which makes me happy. On the other hand, they still appear to be adjustable from 28-48" so they must be telescoping. Bah. Ikea has some very Ikea options. Amazon, maybe? Easy returns there if you don't like them in real life. e: Hayneedle has a lot of different ones, wow.

Based on my previous curtain rod experience, which is 100% Target cheap crap, I think it may be worth paying a little more for better ones. The hollow plasticy/thin metal ones bow in the center and the finials are cheap as gently caress, and the telescoping is not smooth enough so the curtain actually pulls the rod back in with it, which is not ideal...

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 8, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Based on my previous curtain rod experience, which is 100% Target cheap crap, I think it may be worth paying a little more for better ones. The hollow plasticy/thin metal ones bow in the center and the finials are cheap as gently caress, and the telescoping is not smooth enough so the curtain actually pulls the rod back in with it, which is not ideal...

Definitely seconding this. I have a closet full of the lovely hollow thin-metal curtain rods that are all bent to poo poo. Anything heavier than a little tiny valance or the world's gauziest curtains absolutely destroys them.

Bolt a loving dowel to your wall if you have to*.

*Probably shouldn't literally do this, especially if you have a deposit to worry about.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

hailthefish posted:

Definitely seconding this. I have a closet full of the lovely hollow thin-metal curtain rods that are all bent to poo poo. Anything heavier than a little tiny valance or the world's gauziest curtains absolutely destroys them.

Bolt a loving dowel to your wall if you have to*.

*Probably shouldn't literally do this, especially if you have a deposit to worry about.

Come to think of it, you can probably buy premade finials, right? Why not just use a wooden dowel stained or painted to your preferred color? I suppose it would have to be thicker than an equivalent length of solid or even hollow metal, but it might be worth doing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I move over the weekend of June 29th (moveout for my current place is July 3rd so I've got a little leeway). Problem is, I live in Las Vegas, and not even the sacred compact of beer and pizza is enough to make me want to subject friends/family/etc to helping me move in 105 fahrenheit. Especially between two second-story apartments.

To that end, is there anywhere I should start for looking up reputable moving companies that aren't going to pocket stuff the moment I inevitably turn my back? Should I just stick to yelp?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I find that personal recommendations are always best. See if anyone you know or work with has moved and had a good experience. After that, yea, I would look on Yelp basically.

Assuming you are just getting movers and not packers, you can try to prevent theft by sealing every box with an unusual tape (those color/room coded ones are decent) and then signing across the tape. It won't stop a determined thief, but it will make someone think twice and avoid anyone taking an opportunistic peek. Also, make sure you have someone monitoring the load and unload, and it should be fine.

If you have anything seriously valuable, move it yourself before or after.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

I move over the weekend of June 29th (moveout for my current place is July 3rd so I've got a little leeway). Problem is, I live in Las Vegas, and not even the sacred compact of beer and pizza is enough to make me want to subject friends/family/etc to helping me move in 105 fahrenheit. Especially between two second-story apartments.

To that end, is there anywhere I should start for looking up reputable moving companies that aren't going to pocket stuff the moment I inevitably turn my back? Should I just stick to yelp?

Since you've got leeway is there any reason you couldn't get people to help you over the course of 2-3 cooler evenings rather than one really hot afternoon?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Since you've got leeway is there any reason you couldn't get people to help you over the course of 2-3 cooler evenings rather than one really hot afternoon?

That's a good idea, though I suspect the answer is going to be 'truck rental fees' (no one I know owns anything larger than an SUV). I'll have to check how things shake out for getting a truck rented again twice or thrice.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Come to think of it, you can probably buy premade finials, right? Why not just use a wooden dowel stained or painted to your preferred color? I suppose it would have to be thicker than an equivalent length of solid or even hollow metal, but it might be worth doing.

I wonder if the dowels were stained, then if the stain would transfer to the curtain loops.

I did get a double rod with unique brackets for a decent price which I am happy with from Bed Bath and Beyond. The finials are still plastic, but hey, I'm not feeling it up while it's up there.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

I wonder if the dowels were stained, then if the stain would transfer to the curtain loops.

Assuming it's done properly with the correct type of stain and allowed to fully dry, it won't.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just found an apartment listing says "text Chad for more info" ... is that as weird as I think it is? Texting seems too informal for renting, but :shrug:.

In a related story, I've been emailing contacts of listings because I'm inept at a decent phone conversation. I'm barely passable when I have to do it for work. Not many of my emails have been responded too, so I might just start making phone calls.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 9, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For curtain rods, look at stores with nicer homegoods, even department stores like Macy's (bigger selection online) or Penney's if they still do that. Yeah, if you go to Home Depot you'll find builder-grade curtain rods; that shouldn't be a surprise. Mine are from Macy's, solid metal, pretty and unique finials. I'm sure the usual suspects (West Elm, Crate & Barrel, Room & Board, Anthropologie, even Urban Outfitters) have their own nice ones too. Don't be surprised when they're pricier than Home Depot's.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have had legit realtors who felt that texting was the way to communicate, so it's possible. On the other hand, every one of those people was a sleaze, so maybe it's best to avoid them anyway.

I usually find calling leads to better results than emailing - it's more immediate and if you can get someone on the line you can usually wring something out of them. Once you're actually negotiating, though, email is better as it leaves you a record of promises.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yep, texting is totally a thing for renting from both individuals & realtors. Weird, but brave new world, and all.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ikea has some decent curtain rods if you're looking for a more modern look. At least they used to, I haven't looked at their curtain rod selection in a while.

I got some nice curtain rods and curtains for my old place at JC Penney.

As for finding movers, do a google search and look at yelp reviews. To keep your stuff secure, take pictures and label/mark them in a distinctive way. My movers last time I moved took a picture of the packed truck and had me sign a thing that it looked the same and nothing had been touched when they arrived at my new place. Also, label everything really vaguely but in a way that still makes sense to you. For instance I labeled a box of satellite receivers "dishes" (it ended up in in the kitchen) and the box with my PC, printers, and monitor were all just labeled "office". Or you could just assign each room a number/color. Another good thing is to stage all your boxes in one room so the movers aren't out of sight with your stuff (plus they'll appreciate not having to walk all over your house to fetch boxes).

If you do get movers, buy a case of Gatorade the day before your move and stick it in your fridge for the movers. They will love you for it.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 9, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If you do get movers, buy a case of Gatorade the day before your move and stick it in your fridge for the movers. They will love you for it.

I can't second this enough. They may not want food or anything, but cold water/gatorade and a tip will earn you a lot of points and extra care.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do not offer them weed until they are done.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Jesus Christ, I texted the guy and the apartment is already rented. He said "sorry it was literally rented out an hour ago." I thought I was safe because it wasn't available to June 1st.

This is nuts, I feel like I have to work overtime to get an apartment.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do not offer them weed until they are done.

A friend of mine tipped a guy with a cigar and a beer. Dude couldn't have been happier.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm all moved in and pretty much finished with every room in my apartment except a few minor things (getting curtains/curtain rods for my living room/bedroom, replacing a light switch that got hosed up when the last tenants painted, fixing a closet door), but my kitchen still needs a lot of work. I did some cleaning of my (beautiful, huge) porcelain chef's sink, but there are still some stains even after both dish soap/water and a bleach cleaner. Any suggestion on how to clean that?

Also, what's the best way to keep dust and poo poo away from my wooden cabinets, or keep my food/kitchen tools from getting too dusty? There's a whole bunch of storage, which is the coolest thing, because my last place the kitchen storage was a few ratty cabinets and some lovely plastic shelves we got from Target, but it's a little dusty. I got a duster and a Dirt Devil handheld to clean that all up, and some wood cleaner to keep it fresh, I dunno what else I'll need.

And one last question (for now), originally, there was a shelf right above the stove that was a microwave shelf, but it was horribly unsturdy, so I took it down, and just put the microwave on a counter instead (there's an island as well, so I'm not really wanting for counter space). Now there's a nice big space on the wall directly behind my stove, and I'd like to have some sort of wall-hanging to keep spatulas/spoons/other cooking tools. What's the best way to do that? I could do just plain ol' nails, but I feel like there's a less spartan way of doing that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Jesus Christ, I texted the guy and the apartment is already rented. He said "sorry it was literally rented out an hour ago." I thought I was safe because it wasn't available to June 1st.

This is nuts, I feel like I have to work overtime to get an apartment.

I just double-checked and you're trying to rent in MA, right? Yea, the rental market anywhere around Boston is a total nightmare and you will probably have to kill someone to get an apartment. The absolute worst time for a new place is September 1, because of all the stupid students turning over and starting then. Unfortunately, the next stupidest time is around June/July, because that is when the residencies and stuff for all the hospitals start and end - Boston has a shitload of hospitals.

So basically yea, you are going to have to work your rear end of to get a good place without getting cheated on it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah, I knew hunting was gonna be a pain in the rear end but I guess I just didn't realize what magnitude of rear end-pain I was in for.

E: nevermind this was answered :3:

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 9, 2013

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
So I'm moving across the U.S. from CA to Connecticut for work. My company is hiring a real estate broker for me to help me find a place, since I won't be able to go over there before hand and check places out. I've never had a broker before, what can I expect from them? I'm worried they're going to try to get me to rent some place that benefits them the most rather than looking out for my best interests -- what should I look out for?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Yoshifan823 posted:

Now there's a nice big space on the wall directly behind my stove, and I'd like to have some sort of wall-hanging to keep spatulas/spoons/other cooking tools. What's the best way to do that? I could do just plain ol' nails, but I feel like there's a less spartan way of doing that.

Ikea sells bars and all types of storage baskets to hook onto them. Maybe something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bear in mind that anything you hang above/behind the stove may be exposed to any vapor or spatter from your cooking - it sucks hanging your stuff up there and then finding it all sticky and greasy because you fried a bunch of bacon one morning.