Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Someone previously said in the thread that increasing the radius of your orbit in the game is achieved by pointing your thrusters towards the surface (ie the centre of your orbit). In the real world, this is achieved by thrusting 90 degrees to that, in the direction of travel. Increasing your speed in this fashion increases the radius of your orbit.
Basically this. If it were modeled "properly" in the game you would increase velocity to increase the radius of your orbit, similar to the current mechanic of lowering velocity into the orange threshold shrinking it. The simple change (to make it somewhat more accurate) would be having the green threshold make your orbital radius increase, to the indicated orbital boundary, with the red threshold allowing you to break orbit at any time, as it currently does. I can't remember enough about the astrophysics I learned in high school to tell if the latter mechanic is accurate to real life, but nor do I really care.

An interesting nod to reality is that larger stage rockets are heavier and give diminishing returns on performance. I feel like this has the effect of making shooting for gold the default, as going crazy on the budget with massive engines and multiple stages doesn't really make the missions any more fun to play.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bummey posted:

:siren::siren::siren: guysguysguysguysguys :siren::siren::siren:

Remember that game, Hope: the Other Side of Adventure, that sounded really cool but mysteriously disappeared from the app store? It's back!

http://appshopper.com/games/hope-the-other-side-of-adventure

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hope-other-side-adventure/id634064418?mt=8

I swear to gently caress there better be some payoff on this. I am on day 2 and so far it just seems like prosaic auto-fellatio.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bummey posted:

Remember that game, Hope: the Other Side of Adventure, that sounded really cool but mysteriously disappeared from the app store? It's back!

Ha, I picked that up when it came out, but then never even opened it, since it's one those "headphones" games that I was waiting for a quiet evening to myself to enjoy.

If I'd known it was such an hot mysterious non-title, I would have paid more attention sooner!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Quote may or may not be edit, I am much too dumb to know for sure.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Why have I never heard of this game before?

http://box-cat.com/

Nameless: The Hackers RPG

quote:

An RPG / Adventure Game based on Social Engineering, Conspiracy and Computer Science with Anime themed characters. Join the Nameless Hackers as they find themselves deep in a world conspiracy and try to prevent the world from becoming compromised!

Not too much info on the game website (bad developers, bad) but the concept and video intrigue me.

Then again it could be just because I'm desperate for a real cyberpunk game on my iPhone.

Also someone REALLY needs to port over Decker

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 8, 2013

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
(Oh come the gently caress on, weird-buttony Awful app update. Quoth, editeth, etc.)

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 8, 2013

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

theblackw0lf posted:

Not too much info on the game website (bad developers, bad) but the concept and video intrigue me.

Do you get to collate a list of IP addresses from Google Analytics, before your large breasted boss gets angry? Will I be trying to find the most efficient way to set up TCP throttling or just outright blocking entire regions?

cname fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 8, 2013

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached

theblackw0lf posted:

Then again it could be just because I'm desperate for a real cyberpunk game on my iPhone.

It's basically a generic grind-filled RPG with "Hacker Terms" substituted for spells and special moves you'd see in other, more traditional RPGs.

It has some interesting ideas for skill development and progression but it got too grindy for me.

TA Review here

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Touch arcade reviewed it. Basically said its fun but repetitive and short.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Det_no posted:

So what would be the correct maneuver to make orbital maneuvering? Genuinely curious cause I don't know.
Play Osmos for the best Video Game Orbital Mechanics Done Right simulation experience :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Play Osmos for the best Video Game Orbital Mechanics Done Right simulation experience :)

Seconding this.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mr EFord posted:

It's basically a generic grind-filled RPG with "Hacker Terms" substituted for spells and special moves you'd see in other, more traditional RPGs.

It has some interesting ideas for skill development and progression but it got too grindy for me.

TA Review here

As a long-time Uplink whore--i.e., the technically-ridiculous-but-at-least-attempting-to-look-realistic-on-a-superficial-level approach to hacking, this game quickly ran me off with equal measures of Generic-Assed RPG and Anime Waaaacky.

I went in hoping to stealthily hack some Matrixy Gibsons, but instead found myself perpetrating some kind of high-profile firebombing campaign on server rooms across the world, while trapped police officers and security guards scurried around in terror as 1s and 0s eat devoured the skin from their bones...? It was weird and the whole game mechanic made me feel like I was playing some kind of repetitive Pokemon knock-off.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
So I tried star command today for a couple of hours. God I'm glad I didn't back this or spend money on what ended up being a colossal piece of poo poo.

I wonder how long Kickstarter projects will end up being able to make money as more and more projects end up lovely shadows of what were promised and people finally learn a bit of skepticism.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jut posted:

I wonder how long Kickstarter projects will end up being able to make money as more and more projects end up lovely shadows of what were promised and people finally learn a bit of skepticism.

Don't be so sure.. it's basically gambling, and gambling does really well as an industry where it's allowed to operate. I guess there's never going to be a shortage of people willing to pay some cash for a chance at getting something "special" in return.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
So I play a game called Crime City, which is something most people here would call an IAP-infested poo poo heap. I call it an amusing time waster on the bus to and from work, but that's not the point.

Anyway, a part of the game is to build up your "hood" which is sort of like building your city in Tapped Out. They just put out a timed "event" where you have one week to build and fully upgrade a new rare building. Of course no normal person can do this in a week without IAP.

For a player at my level, the math works out to costing about $19,000 in IAP (multiple $99 purchases of IAP currency) to be able to complete the event within the time limit. From looking at other player's hoods, some people are about halfway done, which equates to spending about half that amount since yesterday afternoon. Insane.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

jerkstore77 posted:

So I play a game called Crime City, which is something most people here would call an IAP-infested poo poo heap. I call it an amusing time waster on the bus to and from work, but that's not the point.

Anyway, a part of the game is to build up your "hood" which is sort of like building your city in Tapped Out. They just put out a timed "event" where you have one week to build and fully upgrade a new rare building. Of course no normal person can do this in a week without IAP.

For a player at my level, the math works out to costing about $19,000 in IAP (multiple $99 purchases of IAP currency) to be able to complete the event within the time limit. From looking at other player's hoods, some people are about halfway done, which equates to spending about half that amount since yesterday afternoon. Insane.

Or they just jailbroke their device and hacked the game.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Jut posted:

Or they just jailbroke their device and hacked the game.

I don't believe this game is hackable for IAP currency. There are also longtime players on the game's forum bragging about their progress.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So is Dark-Quest any good?
http://appshopper.com/games/dark-quest

Aside from the title screen(?) looking like someone modified the Hero Quest boxart, the game looks like it'd be a board game as well.

Jut posted:

So I tried star command today for a couple of hours. God I'm glad I didn't back this or spend money on what ended up being a colossal piece of poo poo.

It'll depend more on how good (or bad) the major games like Double Fine, Wasteland, and Project Eternity turn out. Shadowrun Returns should be out in a month or two as well :dance:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 8, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

jerkstore77 posted:

I don't believe this game is hackable for IAP currency. There are also longtime players on the game's forum bragging about their progress.

Are yous sure? Most of these games are.

Simpsons Tapped Out and most of the others have had their IAP hacked, anyone with a jailbreak and the inclination can get unlimited funds on it.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Totally cool (timer limited) MMORPG Book of Heroes just got a major updatd (1.6) that made it a whole lot nicer: UI improvements, quicker animations and a new zone! Some smaller stuff too. There's a thread for the goon guild in PGS, hopefully the update breathes some new life into it. The limit for members in a guild increased too, so maybe now there's room for everyone!

For me, the most shocking thing about this game when I started it was that there's a real-time chat on the bottom of the screen, full of either random people or your guild mates. I'm sure other iOS games have had this a million years ago, but seeing it on my phone for the first time was kind of surprising still.

Edit: should also mention that although the game has all the regular IAP/free to play characteristics, they are implemented in a very non-scummy way!

goethe gear xx fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 8, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I'm 400 snakes from Bare Chested Willie.

That's 45 donuts. About $4.

IAP in Simpsons is brutal.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Evil Fluffy posted:

So is Dark-Quest any good?
http://appshopper.com/games/dark-quest

Aside from the title screen(?) looking like someone modified the Hero Quest boxart, the game looks like it'd be a board game as well.

I'd either wait for more updates or just wait for Warhammer Quest in a month or two (it will be worth the wait).

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Just my random observations...

I gambled on it for 99¢ and feel like I got my money's worth. It's fun; the length of a single level is about how much time I'd ever want to put into it at any given time.

I have a few fond memories of Hero Quest from the olden days, but it was never a great love of mine. In that sense I might be Dark Quest's ideal audience... I get a nice pinch of nostalgia here, but don't remember/care enough to nit-pick any details/mechanics that it might be loving up.

I'm still unlocking new little gameplay twists in each level; I supposed that could run out sooner rather than later, and the game could conceivably get really tedious in a hurry. But so far so good.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just picked up Knights of Pen & Paper. Pretty fun game. Anyone else play this?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Do any of the iOS poker apps have good communities of players that play more seriously than going all-in every hand preflop? I tried Zynga and Texas Holdem but they're basically the exact same app with the same awful players

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Thumbtacks posted:

It's had a few waves through the thread so far. I grabbed it the last time it came up - and I'm still plugging away at it. I've put more hours into this goofy lite RPG than I have into Ni No Kuni so far, which is either very sad or just a testament to how good it is. Or both.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Thumbtacks posted:

It doesn't come up a whole lot these days because it was quite popular a while back and I think a lot of iOS gamers here have already played through it.

But IMO it's a pretty awesome little game, and with a couple recent expansiony-type updates, I'd say it's still definitely worth sinking some time into.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I like it a lot so far. I'm probably making my party wrong (I'm using all the classes as their offspec) but it's working well so I'm rolling with it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Thumbtacks posted:

I like it a lot so far. I'm probably making my party wrong (I'm using all the classes as their offspec) but it's working well so I'm rolling with it.

I feel exactly the same. I choose cool races for the classes, but I feel like I probably made terrible choices now.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Bottom Liner posted:

I feel exactly the same. I choose cool races for the classes, but I feel like I probably made terrible choices now.
Given how many classes you unlock as you play, I feel like the game is begging you to eventually restart anyways. So you'll get another shot at it once you have a better understanding of which races benefit which classes.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Mouser.. posted:

Do any of the iOS poker apps have good communities of players that play more seriously than going all-in every hand preflop? I tried Zynga and Texas Holdem but they're basically the exact same app with the same awful players

Doubt it. People play a lot differently when there's no real money at stake. I get my iOS poker fix from Theta Poker which does a pretty decent job of replicating the online tournament experience. It gives you HUD stats and everything.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 9, 2013

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I've sunk way too much time in defender of textel. It's got that addictive card/pokemon collecting thing going for it, and the battles have a good speed to them. I plan on getting knights of pen and paper when I can afford it. I believe my life will disappear when that happens.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Defender of Textel looks fun. Is it especially grindy? I can't afford to tempt myself with looming IAP.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

Defender of Textel looks fun. Is it especially grindy? I can't afford to tempt myself with looming IAP.

Well, it's pretty basic, like you just go through a level and fight groups of monsters, which I guess is grindy? Honestly I've never been tempted to pay real money for anything, not even the special dudes you can get. I'd say try it out, it's free!

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Bummey posted:

So...wait...let me get this straight now.

This is a game where you play a princess held in captivity?

Waiting for rescue by a prince?

And it reappeared on the App Store this week?

Oh irony, I love you so!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

So apparently I am pretty bad at Leviathan Warships, but I'm having a lot of fun. It took me a couple tries to beat the first level. On my second try I tried to lead the first attack into the range of the big ship you start next to but it didn't do anything. What's the point of that big guy being docked there if he's not gonna help? Second mission was a comedy of errors I somehow emerged victorious from. Lot's of bumping into each other and friendly fire from misjudged timing. Thank goodness for that repair platform.

I feel like my ships are really sluggish compared to the Marauders, and I can't tell if it's better to let my guns fire at will or manually target. Sometimes they don't seem to shoot things in range, but then when I manually target the enemy scoots out of the way.

If anyone wants to face me I've got the same name in LW and Gamecenter as I do here. I'll be busy most of tomorrow but I should be able to play in the evening.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What "deep" turn-based strategy games are available for iOS? Civ-likes or X-COM-likes, whatever, as long as there's some depth to its mechanics and a significant amount of content. I've made my way through Final Fantasy Tactics and Civ: Revolutions. What else is there? How are the Avernums that have been ported over? edit: I've also tried Battle of the Bulge and while I am horrendous at it, stuff of its complexity would be awesome.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 9, 2013

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

The Insect Court posted:

What "deep" turn-based strategy games are available for iOS? Civ-likes or X-COM-likes, whatever, as long as there's some depth to its mechanics and a significant amount of content. I've made my way through Final Fantasy Tactics and Civ: Revolutions. What else is there? How are the Avernums that have been ported over?

Leviathan: Warships by Paradox Interactive came out recently and is pretty good and Sid Meier's Ace Patrol is supposed to come out today too. It is a turn based WW I air combat game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shalinor posted:

Given how many classes you unlock as you play, I feel like the game is begging you to eventually restart anyways. So you'll get another shot at it once you have a better understanding of which races benefit which classes.
The best part about restarting is that the unlocks and cash are game-wide so instead of dealing with waiting 8 hours per for your first blacksmith upgrades you can just switch over to your high level party, beat down a single group of at-level monsters, then change back and buy the time-skip with your level-inflated income.

The Insect Court posted:

What "deep" turn-based strategy games are available for iOS? Civ-likes or X-COM-likes, whatever, as long as there's some depth to its mechanics and a significant amount of content. I've made my way through Final Fantasy Tactics and Civ: Revolutions. What else is there? How are the Avernums that have been ported over? edit: I've also tried Battle of the Bulge and while I am horrendous at it, stuff of its complexity would be awesome.
Ascendancy is the only really deep strategy game that I know of - the iOS version has its quirks (like having to actually start a new game with a race in order to see what its unique ability is) from what I could tell in my brief look at it, but I've been playing the PC version on and off for like 15 years now and in my opinion it stacks up against MoO/Civ. (and unlike the PC version it's actually maintained)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
I kinda wonder what they're going to add to Knights of Pen & Paper+ and if they're going to add that content back to the mobile versions.

• Locked thread