Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Breetai posted:

I'm not sure why this game got such a bad rap. Sure skills aren't completely balanced, and there are signs that it's definitely a bit of a rushed console port in that aspects of the interface lack a little polish and load times/delays in opening menus were frankly horrendous, but it was an extremely fun game that made it feel like every action you took had actual consequences beyond, say, the standard bioware pet-the-puppy/kick-the-puppy 'morality' choices. Why were people so negative towards it?
Because I doubt most reviewers ever made it past Saudi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Breetai posted:

Why were people so negative towards it?

It looked like a shooter. It is not a good shooter. It is a pretty great RPG, but spies aren't necessarily the first thing people think of when they think of RPGs. Kids today have more experience with shooters than anything else, and if they play RPGs they think of WoW.

Also, until you finish Saudi things are kind of blah and seem on rails. Some of the decisions you make in the Grey Box can effect the final mission particularly with Parker, but that isn't obvious at the time. The game doesn't really come into its own until you get past Saudi and start making decisions for yourself. Some would say the game doesn't really come into its own until you play it a second time, make different choices and are all "Woah" over the changes those choices make to the story. Did professional reviewers play it twice? Did they even play through it once? Or did they play a few missions and phone it in?

Sega seemed to flub the marketing and pre-release buzz too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, the long and short of it is that game reviewers don't play games all the way through, and will almost never play a game more than once, which doesn't at all suit Alpha Protocol's main selling point, which is choice-and-consequence, and replayability. If you never even make it to the end of Saudi then all the 'choice is important' stuff seems like a standard buzzword like it is in other games, where killing Farmer Joe's chicken pisses off his wife so she won't talk to you and give you a sidequest, but no one else in the world ever cares. You don't get the chance to see how your relationships with different characters right from the start of the game can come back and bite you at the end, and if you don't play it more than once you're never going to uncover 75% of the secrets that are out there in the game world.

Fact of the matter is that the gameplay is nothing special, and if you only play the first two hours you'll get the clunky early gameplay without the long run incredible choices and consequences.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Angela Christine posted:

It looked like a shooter. It is not a good shooter.

This is so true. I really like Alpha Protocol but it fails pretty spectacularly as a straight up third person action shooter.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sexpansion posted:

This is so true. I really like Alpha Protocol but it fails pretty spectacularly as a straight up third person action shooter.

Luckily, it succeeds as a third person karate simulator. Unarmed runs are the best thing.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

^ Because it looks very much like a 3rd-person shooter. If a new player approaches the opening areas as though the game were a shooter you will get humped. It's not like they glossed over the fact that it is an RPG, but so is Mass Effect 2, which is also an accessible 3ps. In ME2 you don't need 4 ranks in skills before you can hit anything farther than 5 feet away with your pistol, but in AP you totally do.

E: Holy freakin poop I was so beat

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like it with the pistol, because it feels like it's simulating aiming carefully and lining up your shot, with the spread representing the jiggles you can get when you're a person under stress, behind enemy lines, etc. And you're more likely to be using the pistol as a stealth character so that's all appropriate. It's more irritating with the assault rifle, which takes just as long to line up a shot but could maybe have done extra damage or something to compensate, and can be tough to use for a more actiony character. Plus of course no weapon's unique ability even comes close to Chain Shot.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Keeshhound posted:

Luckily, it succeeds as a third person karate simulator. Unarmed runs are the best thing.

Seriously, if you haven't ever done a martial arts/stealth pacifist run (and only using tranq. pistols/chain shots when you have to) you need to try it. Especially amusing if you pick a lot of aggressive responses.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

mastajake posted:

Seriously, if you haven't ever done a martial arts/stealth pacifist run (and only using tranq. pistols/chain shots when you have to) you need to try it. Especially amusing if you pick a lot of aggressive responses.

Stealth? gently caress that; heavy armor and toughness. Run up to guys trying to shoot you and punch them in the face. Like Superman.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Yeah, Mike handles well while sprinting, which is not always the case in games. That made the game more enjoyable for sure.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.

Breetai posted:

Why were people so negative towards it?

I think a major factor was that the game shares some similarities with Deus Ex, yet is poorly balanced enough to make assault rifles less of a sniping weapon than pistols. (!) Not to mention how hard it is to use guns without a lot of points in the skill- though I have to admit, Deus Ex was similarly frustrating with a pistol, at least at the start. The boss fights like Brayko are absolutely insane if you're not properly optimized for them- and it's possible to be unaware that a sprint button existed until, oh, two weeks ago on this forum!

Another factor, probably even more important, is that Alpha Protocol was brand new IP for a Western shooter. As opposed to the sequel to a well-loved and critically acclaimed GOTY with lots of mods and fan interest, which would probably hurt anything else by comparison. Of course, a huge advertising budget wasn't thrown at Alpha Protocol by EA/ Bioware. I remember maybe one game that's promoted heavily on Gamespot being rated anything less than a 8.0, and that was Kane and Lynch 2. Which STILL beat Alpha Protocol. Good God. :gonk:

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
My first was recruit, stealth, martial arts, with a few points in assault rifles, and I did fine. I actually didn't do anything in the Grey Box in the beginning because I accidentally just turned around and went back in the room. The dude even says, "It's like you just did a 180 and came right back in here."

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Arcaeris posted:

My first was recruit, stealth, martial arts, with a few points in assault rifles, and I did fine. I actually didn't do anything in the Grey Box in the beginning because I accidentally just turned around and went back in the room. The dude even says, "It's like you just did a 180 and came right back in here."

Hahaha, I've never seen that line. This flippin' game.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
More than a few questions: I seem to recall the game has some pretty heavy level-scaling (which makes sense since you can do the hubs in any order you wish.)

Is level scaling based off of allocated points or level? Is it altered by rookie or veteran mode?

Has anyone gone and seen the lowest level run they could? Skipping as many missions as possible? Making sure the missions you do pick award as little exp as possible?

And what about going for as much exp as possible? Is there a specific playstyle that suits this? Are there any missions with the possibility of taking advantage of infinitely spawning guards?

I seem to recall some complaint about bosses with skill choice and level scaling, but I can't remember. Something about Brayko being impossible to deal with at certain levels if you are melee-focused because he can be better at melee than you even with max points? I'm not sure.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Level scaling is based off how many skill points you have, and since Veteran gives you more skill points it's technically scaled higher, but it doesn't really matter by 1/3rd through the game since you become a walking god.

People complaining about Brayko is 100% because they try to attack him during his hulk phase, he's pretty simple otherwise. If you have stealth you can even dodge behind a pillar and hit Shadow Op and completely negate the entire phase.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Also, unless you're ignoring weapon skills entirely, if you're being stealthy you probably put some points into pistols. And Chain Shot at a decent level will wreck Brayko's poo poo so thoroughly that I didn't hear the chorus of the song until my third playthrough.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Also if you make friends in low places the fight becomes essentially trivial.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Scorchy posted:

People complaining about Brayko is 100% because they try to attack him during his hulk phase, he's pretty simple otherwise. If you have stealth you can even dodge behind a pillar and hit Shadow Op and completely negate the entire phase.

In fairness, the game doesn't do too much to telegraph that; his dossier mentions that he's a coke fiend, but it would have been helpful if they'd included a line like

"Brayko frequently indulges in his favorite vice, even in the midst of battle. Far from a liability, this makes him even more dangerous as he has been known to endure horrific injury without so much as stumbling while high. Though impressive, these moments of superhuman durability are fleeting, and often leave him winded"

to let players know that it's not just a desperation mode where you need to finish him off quickly, but instead you need to keep your distance and let him exhaust himself.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

trevalyan posted:

I think a major factor was that the game shares some similarities with Deus Ex, yet is poorly balanced enough to make assault rifles less of a sniping weapon than pistols. (!)
That is a similarity shared with Deus Ex :v: Slap a few mods on the DX pistol and it becomes a pocket sniper rifle.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Keeshhound posted:

In fairness, the game doesn't do too much to telegraph that; his dossier mentions that he's a coke fiend, but it would have been helpful if they'd included a line like

"Brayko frequently indulges in his favorite vice, even in the midst of battle. Far from a liability, this makes him even more dangerous as he has been known to endure horrific injury without so much as stumbling while high. Though impressive, these moments of superhuman durability are fleeting, and often leave him winded"

to let players know that it's not just a desperation mode where you need to finish him off quickly, but instead you need to keep your distance and let him exhaust himself.

I dunno about that. After getting my faced slashed up two or three times I figured it was time to make a run for it when he was hulking out. Trying to melee him was just getting interrupted by his own attacks which also did a lot of damage, which pretty clearly said to me "don't do that". It didn't strike me as any less telegraphed than most boss fights in other games (other than the ones featuring glowing red weak points).

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

AG3 posted:

I dunno about that. After getting my faced slashed up two or three times I figured it was time to make a run for it when he was hulking out. Trying to melee him was just getting interrupted by his own attacks which also did a lot of damage, which pretty clearly said to me "don't do that". It didn't strike me as any less telegraphed than most boss fights in other games (other than the ones featuring glowing red weak points).

How much damage does he do when he starts knifing you? I honestly don't remember because I haven't made the mistake of letting him get in range since my first run, but I feel like it was enough to put you in the ground if you didn't have ranks in toughness and got hit a few times prior.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

You can actually find this out right before you leave for the Greybox . If she likes you enough and you persuade her she will admit she set up you to get burned and that's she CIA.

I don't think that last part is accurate. Nor is the other person's take necessarily true. What we know about Mina is that she's ex-NSA and serves someone other than Alpha Protocol. The straightforward assumption is she's basically the NSA's inside man with AP, and I don't think that's really off-base, though you'd have to wonder why she's using an out-of-date NSA handshake protocol. On the other hand, it doesn't seem likely she'd be transferred from the NSA to an ultra-secretive operation like AP unless that's some kind of promotion, which makes it weird that she seems to be working for someone higher up still.

I think Mina's current boss is higher up the totem pole. If they had actually got to expand it further I wouldn't be surprised to have found out she was working for G-22, which would explain why they can keep cutting into your communications with her.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think Mina's current boss is higher up the totem pole. If they had actually got to expand it further I wouldn't be surprised to have found out she was working for G-22, which would explain why they can keep cutting into your communications with her.[/spoiler]

Hmmm. I thought of that myself, but I doubt she'd leave that out of her confession if you were already allied with her true bosses. As for the NSA handshake, it's entirely possible she has access to the true handshakes- and that she'll be damned if anyone in Alpha Protocol, including and especially you, get access to them. Given how the gelato guy hooks into your system in a Veteran run... maybe Mina's working for him, and they're secretly funneling AP's feeds and records to the Rome listening post? Who's ever going to catch them when Mina is the one responsible for catching infiltrators in the first place?

Anyways, I think it's a simple matter of NSA being vaguely aware of AP, yet not aware enough to get a call from higher-ups telling them to knock that poo poo off.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Mina is just a concerned citizen working with fellow concerned citizens to stop AP, because they realize the American government is horrifically corrupt. I kinda wish Parker would be like Doflamingo in One Piece, and respond to the idea that a bureaucrat ordered him to help Halbech with a grin and "Try higher." The President being completely in on the whole Alpha Protocol machine is something I would absolutely believe.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They seemed to be hinting with the presidential run of Darcy's father that in a theoretical sequel the President would be aware of Alpha Protocol, and possibly have a grudge against Thorton.

Anyway, is the code in the gelato shop meant to be out of date? The impression I got was that the code was valid but the gelato guy didn't care enough about procedure to memorise his response. That kind of lax attitude would explain why you can bluff your way in even without the handshake.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Or he really is just a confused italian man trying to sell gelato. He doesn't know what the gently caress these computers are, that's why he says 'who are you talking to?' when he sees Thorton yapping into his mic, he thinks he's mental. That's why he pulls the gun on you, he just wants to save himself.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wow! I just found a new area in the final Saudi mission. When you use the computer to open the metal gates after leaving the airfield, if you let the soldier there get away, he shuts the gate and you have to find an alternate route inside. It takes you into a building with some loot and four or five guys plus a sniper pearch to clear out the next area. This loving game!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

...what.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
You need to shut the gently caress up. There is no way this thread still has things to discover.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Alpha Protocol: This loving Game

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dead serious. I've been through this game over a dozen times and this is the first time I have ever not killed that guard. I was shooting him from too far away with a leveled shotgun terminator style and he escaped through the gate and it started to shut! I was like, "Oh gently caress", because I couldn't open it! Ran back up to the shack to see if I could computer hack it open again, but no, then I found a keypad and a door near the gate and the rest is history.

This loving game!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Soonmot posted:

Dead serious. I've been through this game over a dozen times and this is the first time I have ever not killed that guard. I was shooting him from too far away with a leveled shotgun terminator style and he escaped through the gate and it started to shut! I was like, "Oh gently caress", because I couldn't open it! Ran back up to the shack to see if I could computer hack it open again, but no, then I found a keypad and a door near the gate and the rest is history.

This loving game!

This sounds like a perfect thing to try and find on my upcoming rear end in a top hat-shotgun-Thorton run.

Can I just give my money directly to the company? I am willing to give Obsidian Entertainment like 50 bucks since I bought AP used. Even though AP new has to cost like 20 bucks now. I will STILL give at least $50.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

El Tortuga posted:

Can I just give my money directly to the company? I am willing to give Obsidian Entertainment like 50 bucks since I bought AP used. Even though AP new has to cost like 20 bucks now. I will STILL give at least $50.

Yes you can. It'll go towards project Eternity.

I got AP on sale for like $3 when some site (Green Man Gaming maybe?) typo'd a $30 price tag. Best game deal I ever got.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just wait for their next Kickstarter, I guess. I was going to start building my computer to play that game, but my loving car just needed $600 in repairs.

Dec 26, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Wow! I just found a new area in the final Saudi mission. When you use the computer to open the metal gates after leaving the airfield, if you let the soldier there get away, he shuts the gate and you have to find an alternate route inside. It takes you into a building with some loot and four or five guys plus a sniper pearch to clear out the next area. This loving game!

Seriously? I gotta try this next time through.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Found that one on my first playthrough. Hint; get on top of the building, dive through the skylight, and waste everyone with a single Chainshot.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Haha, yes that is there! It's actually the only way I've ever gotten into the Saudi base: you can also overload the generators to distracting the guard, then casually plink them all with the sniper rifle.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

This sounds like a perfect thing to try and find on my upcoming rear end in a top hat-shotgun-Thorton run.

I got it for $2 on a 90% off Steam sale and after I found out how good it was I felt awful about getting it so cheap. It was a major factor behind me pledging $70 for Project Eternity.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

You might be able to donate to Project Eternity via PayPal still, even though the kickstarter has long finished.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've reinstalled this game, and am using the fixes given in the OP and PCGaming Wiki, but I've got the loading screen problem where it just freezes altogether. Sometimes if I Alt-Tab out of the game it gets going but that isn't very practical. What's the fix for this? Is there a directory where I can disable the loading screens?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been reading the reviews trying to decide if this is worth getting. Several of them cite frequent bugs as being the primary reason for a lower score. Have the bugs mostly been patched at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Its reputation for bugs is overblown. There are a couple, but Skyrim had more, which reviewers of that game didn't really mention much for some reason.

• Locked thread