Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

That's what I originally thought (downloaded google drive)...but I can't edit the spreadsheet on my phone. And if I do, how do I upload back to google docs?

It looks like the app can't edit spreadsheets yet. Maybe try in Safari?

Also, there is no upload with google docs. You are editing the document on the server; changes are saved immediately.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

That's what I originally thought (downloaded google drive)...but I can't edit the spreadsheet on my phone. And if I do, how do I upload back to google docs?

You can edit a google spreadsheet through drive on the phone, probably not an actual excel file.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PaganGoatPants posted:

You can edit a google spreadsheet through drive on the phone, probably not an actual excel file.

Ah ok...yeah it's not letting me edit .xls files. Maybe tomorrow ill create it in google docs.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Be aware that editing google spreadsheets on mobile is absolutely horrible. Every time I've tried to do it I've given up in frustration.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

webmeister posted:

Be aware that editing google spreadsheets on mobile is absolutely horrible. Every time I've tried to do it I've given up in frustration.

Any kind of spreadsheet management on iOS is a pain in the rear end. Using forms on Numbers is the closet to not terrible but that always ends up eating up most/all if my formatting when I export back to Excel.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any kind of spreadsheet management on iOS is a pain in the rear end. Using forms on Numbers is the closet to not terrible but that always ends up eating up most/all if my formatting when I export back to Excel.

There's an iPad app called Permanant that's supposed to be excellent for working with spreadsheets. I've not tried it myself though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone use the fitness app Touchfit: GSP? Planning on starting an exercise program and it looks pretty nifty. Especially how it doesn't require you to have much equipment around. Unfortunately it does require wifi for the videos but then it does keep the app size down. Not a problem since I'd be doing it mostly in places with wifi anyway.

Any opinions on it would be great, or other options that might be useful.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
My dad is going on a business trip tomorrow and he wants an app that will show him the best route to get to all of his clients so he's not driving back and forth all over town.

I found a service called Route4Me but that's $25 a month and he won't use it that often. Is there anything like that that y'all would recommend?
He knows the freeway he's coming in on, he just wants to plug all of his clients' addresses in and something tell him where to go.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

My dad is going on a business trip tomorrow and he wants an app that will show him the best route to get to all of his clients so he's not driving back and forth all over town.

I found a service called Route4Me but that's $25 a month and he won't use it that often. Is there anything like that that y'all would recommend?
He knows the freeway he's coming in on, he just wants to plug all of his clients' addresses in and something tell him where to go.

Does he already know the order? If so why not Google Maps with waypoints?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Does he already know the order? If so why not Google Maps with waypoints?

He didn't. I found an app called Route that gave a good order with directions but it didn't do turn by turn. The info for the app says you could open it in google maps but I couldn't figure out how. Then I went on google maps on my computer and added all the destinations as waypoints but when I try to save it, it doesn't show all of them and the ones it shows are out of order. I can't figure it out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Travelling Salesman Problem is more complicated than you think.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

loving Chinese postmen, always chasing that pesky minimum spanning tree.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
If you go to mapquest on your computer you can add multiple stops and in the options let it reorder stops. You just need a start and end point. I've only done it on a desktop but pretty sure you could set it up there and transfer it to your phone with the mapquest app

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If you have the Starbucks app, this week's free app is Clear, a to-do list management thing (normally $2). I'm just playing around with it and Remember the Milk, but it's fun. :toot:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I downloaded the Starbucks app to get Clear, but I don't know what to do!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

withak posted:

When you're UPS or FedEx, sure.
For finding a good route to visit a couple of locations in the same city it's not too bad.

http://gebweb.net/optimap/
OptiMap - Fastest Roundtrip Solver

If you need turn by turn then I would use that website to determine the best order of visitation, then plug them all into Google or Apple Maps.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

~Coxy posted:

When you're UPS or FedEx, sure.
For finding a good route to visit a couple of locations in the same city it's not too bad.

He was only referencing one of the most important problems in Computer Science.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Yeah, but even 2^n (or n!) isn't bad if n is only in the double-digits. Which it is for a normal human rather than a corporation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I think he was just pointing out that it is pretty easy to solve the problem for only a handful of stops, which is all that most people need.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there a voice recorder that only records when you're touching the screen?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kameh posted:

I downloaded the Starbucks app to get Clear, but I don't know what to do!

They send you messages in the app with the free app and free single. I have doubts that downloading the app gets you the past messages. So you might be out of luck.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Does Passbook actually DO anything? I've got Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts apps (for example), I go in either of those places, nothing happens, it's just mystifying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iostream.h posted:

Does Passbook actually DO anything? I've got Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts apps (for example), I go in either of those places, nothing happens, it's just mystifying.

Unless the pass is get-fenced to your favorite location (Walgreens does this) it shouldn't do anything. You need to open it up and use it to scan your gift card or rewards card.

If its geo-fence, whenever you're near the place you'll get a notification you can open and it'll take you directly to the pass for it.

I mostly use it for that, pet smart, and boarding passes when flying. Not something I get daily use out of but really handy when I do.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Can someone give me a breakdown of how twitteriffic's selective timeline muting/filtering compares to tweetbot's options? I'm really interested in how either app deals with cluttered timelines.
Tweetbot seems to solve this by letting you assign lists as the default timeline, while twitteriffic just does this filtering thing?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

iostream.h posted:

You have to go into the Starbucks app, create a card with a passbook entry, and "favorite" your regular locations before passbook will do anything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There is an American Express Pass that is pretty neat. Every time your card is charged, it pops up. Not too useful, but it's impressive how fast it is:
http://amexpassbook.com

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

smackfu posted:

There is an American Express Pass that is pretty neat. Every time your card is charged, it pops up. Not too useful, but it's impressive how fast it is:
http://amexpassbook.com

I've used this since a couple days after Passbook was a thing. It's neat/spooky. It's really insanely fast. I'll get a notification as I'm walking out 7-11 or whatever. I kinda like it just so I know when my girlfriend uses my card, other than that it's mostly pointless.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unless the pass is get-fenced to your favorite location (Walgreens does this) it shouldn't do anything. You need to open it up and use it to scan your gift card or rewards card.

If its geo-fence, whenever you're near the place you'll get a notification you can open and it'll take you directly to the pass for it.

I mostly use it for that, pet smart, and boarding passes when flying. Not something I get daily use out of but really handy when I do.

empty baggie posted:

You have to go into the Starbucks app, create a card with a passbook entry, and "favorite" your regular locations before passbook will do anything.
Awesome, I'll try this then.
Thanks you guys!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I looked at IFTTT but it doesn't seem to do what I'm looking for. I'm hoping to set up a rule that whenever I connect to my wifi it opens Downcast, Dropbox, App store, and Cydia because all of them require to be opened to update.

Any ideas?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I can't help with 3 of them but downcast can be set to refresh your feeds automatically when you enter/leave up to 10 locations that you define.

I don't think there's any way for an app to tell other apps to open.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I gave up on passbook because it sucks and I actually use Card Star now. Actually holds most of my cards instead of a select few with passbook.

http://www.cardstar.com/

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

DarkJC posted:

I can't help with 3 of them but downcast can be set to refresh your feeds automatically when you enter/leave up to 10 locations that you define.

I don't think there's any way for an app to tell other apps to open.

I could have sworn I set this up, but when I went back in there was not a location set. That takes care of one of them. Thanks!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I just got the iPhone 5, and see there are a million camera apps. Which one do you guys recommend?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

savesthedayrocks posted:

I looked at IFTTT but it doesn't seem to do what I'm looking for. I'm hoping to set up a rule that whenever I connect to my wifi it opens Downcast, Dropbox, App store, and Cydia because all of them require to be opened to update.
I'd be interested in more information on this...

Kinda like "Tasker" for iOS but I'm sure it would require a jailbreak :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

I just got the iPhone 5, and see there are a million camera apps. Which one do you guys recommend?

MPro and the stock Camera app are the ones I use the most. ProCamera is good too.. but it gets left collecting dust because I always find myself just using the camera from the lock screen.

Photosynth is fun, but not as useful as it once was because panoramas are a stock feature now. Photosynth does let you do much larger panoramas however.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

ChocNitty posted:

Camera+ is the defacto app. I'm sure there are many others that are as good, though.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Hueless and snapseed. If you're jailbroken, there's a camera tweak for the stock camera app that lets you separate the AE and AF points that is incredibly useful.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

ickna posted:

Hueless and snapseed. If you're jailbroken, there's a camera tweak for the stock camera app that lets you separate the AE and AF points that is incredibly useful.

Interesting, do you have a name for the tweak?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

There's also SmugMug's Camera Awesome which also has video recording and a cool option to turn on 5(?) second pre-record. But much like xzzy I just end up using the readily available camera.app from the lock screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ChocNitty posted:

Seconding Hueless for B&W, and it just got an update for lossless TIFF and max-quality JPEG with an handy switch between the two. Camera+ for fancy shooting, Camera.app for quick lockscreen shooting, and Camera Plus Pro for its live filters on video recording (basically good B&W video). The last is also a decent fancy shooting app but I like Hueless better for B&W and Camera+ for everything else (particularly its Clarity editing feature). Snapseed is often free and is a great workhorse photo-editing app. All of the above I'd say are necessary.

Optionally, Phonto is good if you like to add text to photos and PhotoText is really good if you photograph things for later reference (receipts, sales tags, box info/instructions) as it lets you type and copy text while looking at a photo. Simply B&W is a free B&W filter app to apply to existing photos and Phoster is another free one that can make some neat poster/postcard edits to your shots.

Glaze is free and is a neat Photoshop-filter type app, Percolator isn't free but is another neat filter app which is admittedly pretty limited-use.

• Locked thread