Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Norv Turner posted:

Mike Silver at yahoo sports put this thing out today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--time-for-roger-goodell-to-flex-muscle--put-mlb-in-its-place-over-baltimore-scheduling-issue-012332056.html

Mike Silver may not be the worst writer covering the NFL, but he's the one I find the most annoying. This article, in which he fellates Roger Goodell as per the norm for his body of work, is no where near his worst, but I doubt anyone here would be able to read it without a spike in blood pressure.

All of the yahoo NFL guys are pretty terrible, but for my money none of them are as irritating as Mike Silver. What an rear end in a top hat.

Counterpoint: Jason Cole. The actual article he wrote (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--tony-romo-latest-cowboy-to-cash-in-big-time-without-delivering-great-results-013440103.html) has a point, but there is so much obnoxious sportswriter and just wins games mixed in that it turns the piece into a resplendent example of douchebaggery and lovely writing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Jason Cole wrote that well I never

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jason Cole and Evan Silvia might be the two worst national sportswriters out there.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Jason Cole wrote that well I never

Excuse me, that's Yahoo! Expert Jason Cole.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Jason Cole and Evan Silvia might be the two worst national sportswriters out there.

A little bitter because of all of Silva's jabs at the Dolphins? Silva is fine, though I wish he'd editorialize less.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

superaielman posted:

A little bitter because of all of Silva's jabs at the Dolphins? Silva is fine, though I wish he'd editorialize less.

Silvia takes jabs at everyone that're not the Jets and he's usually reaching while doing it. I haven't really hidden my distaste for national writers who can't leave their bias at the door.

Plus his analysis is always awful. Rotoworld should really stick to fantasy football and injury updates - their player and draft analysis is usually way off

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

PFT could actually make a wise decision and kill their comment sections.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/seeking-comments-on-whether-we-should-dump-comments/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ozu posted:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/seeking-comments-on-whether-we-should-dump-comments/

How will Matt Florio carry on without his #1 source of information?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Ozu posted:

Life would be better without article comment sections in general.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How will Matt Florio carry on without his #1 source of information?

I like to believe that Matt Florio is Mike Florio's evil(er?) twin brother who twirls his mustache

midwat
May 6, 2007

Ozu posted:

Florio's just embarrassed that his commenters use fewer run-on sentences than he does.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Ozu posted:

On one hand if there's one thing worse than PFT articles it's the comments on them.

On the other hand, there would be no convenient way for me to tell Mike Florio what a dog-whistle piece of poo poo he is.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ozu posted:

YouTube should follow suit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

YouTube should follow suit.

I'd settle for Yahoo Sports.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All websites should drop comments.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I had a journalism professor explain that comments sections needed to be gone or curated at least a bit more because you wouldn't find vile, racist poo poo published in the Letters to the Editor section of most daily papers.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That's true and I do wonder about the legality of comments sections. If you provide a forum online, and someone commits libel on the forum you're hosting, do you share any legal responsibility for it? It seems like the answer is no, since I've never seen a suit, but there would be grounds to argue...

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Rap posted:

That's true and I do wonder about the legality of comments sections. If you provide a forum online, and someone commits libel on the forum you're hosting, do you share any legal responsibility for it? It seems like the answer is no, since I've never seen a suit, but there would be grounds to argue...

I'm not an expert but I think there's a section of the Communications Decency Act or whatever that immunizes content providers from liability for defamation in third-party content provided they make reasonable efforts to get it removed fairly quickly, or something along those lines. There's even some case law on the subject, including several suits against AOL.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rap posted:

For my publication at least, we are to ban the user/delete the comment, alert the next highest rung in the chain of command, and then... a thing... happens. Maybe.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 10, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The thing is that papers actually choose which letters to publish, whereas websites don't really have the choice on what comments or vile things initially go up.

Unless they've got Peter King on staff.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

For my publication at least, we are to ban the user/delete the comment, alert the next highest rung in the chain of command, and then... a thing... happens. Maybe.

Us too, but we get a tiny fraction of some of these other websites that clearly don't make an attempt to limit racist/sexist/homophobic/libelous comments.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Basil Hayden posted:

I'm not an expert but I think there's a section of the Communications Decency Act or whatever that immunizes content providers from liability for defamation in third-party content provided they make reasonable efforts to get it removed fairly quickly, or something along those lines. There's even some case law on the subject, including several suits against AOL.

Ya this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230_of_the_Communications_Decency_Act.

I worked on a case suing a couple websites and the National Enquirer for defamation. To be brief, it's extremely extremely hard to hold an interactive website or forum liable for third party publications on their website/forum. To answer Rap's question, unless the content provider itself creates the content or intentionally solicits defamatory material (think ripoffreport type stuff), the provider is generally immune.

My work on that case only increased my appreciation for the legal threats Lowtax posts every now and then.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
huh. cool. I bet yall every cent i own that Peter King knows more about mixed coffee drinks than he does about this

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
ESPN Magazine writer Ryan McGee wrote an article on Ezekiel Ansah. http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9172873/2013-nfl-draft-how-ezekiel-ansah-became-draft-top-defensive-end-espn-magazine

It's about how even people he destroys loves him or some poo poo, in which he quotes Georgia Tech Guard Omoregie Uzzi as saying this:

quote:

"As complicated as people think our offense option is, the goal is really simple: All of us on the offensive line just look across to see who we're facing and say, 'Okay, that's the guy I have to beat on this play.' We're constantly sizing players up, and it takes a lot to surprise me. I'm 6'3", 300 pounds -- not a giant, but not small either. Well, we lined up against BYU [on Oct. 27, 2012] and I saw this 6'5" guy standing in. I thought, Whoa! I looked over at [left guard] Shaquille Mason and was like, 'Good luck, dude.' Ansah killed us. He was all over the place all day. But the crazy thing was, the whole time he was smiling and very polite, like, 'This is fun; thank you for playing with us today.' You don't want to like a guy who is beating up on you, but you couldn't help it with him."

Several of his teammates comment on his twitter saying it doesn't sound like something he would say. Uzzi's response to the article and the following conversation is this:

Omoregie Uzzi ‏@Uzzi_LaFlare 15h
Definitely don't remember doing an interview w/ @ESPNMcGee... Don't know why words i never said were quoted

Uzzi Tweet:
@ESPNMcGee Apparently there's a misunderstanding. I have never spoken to you. I did NOT make the quote you've accredited to me.

McGee Tweet:
@Uzzi_LaFlare Sorry for the confusion, but we did talk. It's just been a while. It was the week of the ACC Championship.

I think you would remember saying something like that. I also think as a D1 lineman you wouldn't think WHOA!!! when somebody that is 6' 5" lines up across from you. Also I just watched season 5 of the wire again so I assume the journalist is making it up

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 16, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The Big Jesus posted:

ESPN Magazine writer Ryan McGee wrote an article on Ezekiel Ansah. http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9172873/2013-nfl-draft-how-ezekiel-ansah-became-draft-top-defensive-end-espn-magazine

It's about how even people he destroys loves him or some poo poo, in which he quotes Georgia Tech Guard Omoregie Uzzi as saying this:

Several of his teammates comment on his twitter saying it doesn't sound like something he would say. Uzzi's response to the article and the following conversation is this:

Omoregie Uzzi ‏@Uzzi_LaFlare 15h
Definitely don't remember doing an interview w/ @ESPNMcGee... Don't know why words i never said were quoted

Uzzi Tweet:
@ESPNMcGee Apparently there's a misunderstanding. I have never spoken to you. I did NOT make the quote you've accredited to me.

McGee Tweet:
@Uzzi_LaFlare Sorry for the confusion, but we did talk. It's just been a while. It was the week of the ACC Championship.

I think you would remember saying something like that. I also think as a D1 lineman you wouldn't think WHOA!!! when somebody that is 6' 5" lines up across from you. Also I just watched season 5 of the wire again so I assume the journalist is making it up

Can't wait til a reporter says something along the lines of "Of course you said it! I mean, you were concussed at the time, but you definitely said it, maybe that's why you don't remember it!"

As an aside I have a cousin who played football in high school and was good enough to get offered scholarships to D1 schools. Anyways, he was a (obviously) big guy but super nice. After laying guys out, he always made sure to stop and help them up and make sure they were ok.

Bamf
Jul 20, 2000

Wanted to post the rare "Good for you" for a Florio post - he's going to stop reporting on Wonderlic scores and chides detestable Milwuakee scribe Bob McGinn for his latest article that derides athletes for not performing well on an arbitrary test. Florio shows a surprising amount of human understanding and empathy.

quote:

Some have learning disabilities. Some with learning disabilities have agents who don’t know or care to request an accommodation.

But he still has the "Days without an Arrest" tracker so, y'know, still a ways to go.

The McGinn article is as mocking and condescending as you'd expect.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bamf posted:

Wanted to post the rare "Good for you" for a Florio post - he's going to stop reporting on Wonderlic scores and chides detestable Milwuakee scribe Bob McGinn for his latest article that derides athletes for not performing well on an arbitrary test. Florio shows a surprising amount of human understanding and empathy.

But he still has the "Days without an Arrest" tracker so, y'know, still a ways to go.

The McGinn article is as mocking and condescending as you'd expect.

Yeah, Florio also posted a brain-twisting article earlier today about the Tebow vs Sanchez "feud", it'll be quite a while before he earns any goodwill from me.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Sanchez press briefing.
Why that thin green hair band, Mark?
Anyone ask that?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Speaking of Florio and comments, he just got owned by the commentators here. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/05/browns-defend-trading-two-2013-picks-for-two-2014-picks/

quote:

When we spent a portion of last Monday’s Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network pointing out the best and worst moves that we believed each AFC team made in the draft, I took issue with the Browns’ decision to swap a fourth-round pick in 2013 for a third-round pick in 2014 and a fifth-round pick in 2013 for a fourth-round pick in 2014.

When I read it a day or two ago, every commentator (correctly) blasted him as stupid for this article and his criticism. I mean 100% of the sample I read. I have not read the additional ones but I hope the trend continued. Florio shows here he doesn't even understand basic team building concepts.

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

quote:

When I look at the young group of quarterbacks, I don't put Newton in the category of Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. He hasn't earned it. Luck and RG3 carried bad teams and were the epitome of clutch; the vets followed their lead. You don't see that happening with Newton in Carolina. Luck and RG3 would've put the flawed Panthers in the playoffs last year, just like they did with the Indianapolis Colts and Washington Redskins, respectively. The Panthers are 13-19 with Newton. Quarterbacks are judged by wins and losses. Going into Year 3, you can call Cam Newton electric, but you can't call him a winner.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167664/article/carolina-panthers-going-nowhere-with-ron-rivera-cam-newton

Great job, guy. He then goes on to say the Panthers have one of the worst rosters in football. What the gently caress do people want out of Cam? All the Superbowls from now on?

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Man the exceptional swing in strength of schedule for the Colts between 2011 and 2012 has really overinflated Luck. He may ultimately be everything he projects as, but slow your roll sportswriters.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mad Mafioso posted:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167664/article/carolina-panthers-going-nowhere-with-ron-rivera-cam-newton

Great job, guy. He then goes on to say the Panthers have one of the worst rosters in football. What the gently caress do people want out of Cam? All the Superbowls from now on?

Hmm, the epitome of clutch

pre:
Final Margin 0-7
Luck 222-407, 54.5%, 7.0 YPA, 16/9 TD/Int, 80.6 QBR
Cam  138-251, 55.0%, 7.7 YPA, 08/6 TD/Int, 80.7 QBR

4TH QTR, +/-7 PTS
Luck 51-89, 57.3%, 7.7 YPA, 4/1 TD/Int, 92.3 QBR
Cam  36-59, 61.0%, 9.4 YPA, 2/1 TD/Int, 96.5 QBR

Behind by 1-8 Points
Luck 91-170, 53.5%, 7.7 YPA, 8/6 TD/Int, 80.0 QBR
Cam  79-142, 55.6%, 8.5 YPA, 6/3 TD/Int, 89.0 QBR
Ah I see, I see.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Gendo posted:

... slow your roll sportswriters.

But... hyperbole! Sexy Headlines! Sell ads! Sell issues! Money money money!

I know it would make for boring news, but Christ I wish Al-Jazeera had a sports section with more stuff on American leagues.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers PR Dept.
‏@PanthersPR

@jjones9 @adamschein is the same guy who called Cam a scrooge and described his 2012 season as a "black eye" ... grain of salt.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
hahaha that's awesome, I love it when official spokespeople have a little bit of fire

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Can we please turn this thread into a website that calls out lovely journalism and ridicules it? There's quite a few things in here that aren't borderline or just lazy, but that deserve to be showcased somewhere and properly called out. If you're going to abuse your public platform then maybe you should be held accountable for it somewhere that doesn't get buried/ignored/deleted in a mountain of other lovely comments.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

nrr posted:

Can we please turn this thread into a website that calls out lovely journalism and ridicules it? There's quite a few things in here that aren't borderline or just lazy, but that deserve to be showcased somewhere and properly called out. If you're going to abuse your public platform then maybe you should be held accountable for it somewhere that doesn't get buried/ignored/deleted in a mountain of other lovely comments.

I'd love nothing more and a few times I've complimented starting a site that just tracks how lovely florio is but, you know, :effort: and goonproject etc

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is not a satire account.

@OmarKelly
I'm like a cat. Very moody. Sometimes I want to play. Sometimes I'll scratch you. You just never know.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Sometimes I piss on the couch.

hhhiiiisssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ozu posted:

This is not a satire account.

@OmarKelly
I'm like a cat. Very moody. Sometimes I want to play. Sometimes I'll scratch you. You just never know.

An over entitled little poo poo who ruins everything, is smug as can be, and isn't nearly so clever as he thinks? Sounds quite accurate, actually.

• Locked thread