Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
When I was raiding BACK IN THE DAY, I used one while out pulling. Not typically at the aggro time, but as soon as I flopped I'd put it on to regen while laying there waiting for aggro to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
:siren: :words: :siren: :words: :siren:

I was in a rush to head to work earlier so here's a gigantic wall of text on the usefulness of a fungi (and regen in general) on Velious raids vs. earlier content. I will say, Pilsner, that your experience probably wasn't that out of the ordinary as I distinctly remember arguing this point with posts just like the one I'm about to write on the Safehouse, my guild's forums, and my server's forums. The best part is that most people ultimately didn't want to wear a fungi because it looks like an ugly plain banded BP instead of a fancy Trak BP or whatever new Velious BP they had been lusting after.

As a disclaimer, I started with a Wizard on release but also had a Rogue 50 before Kunark dropped. I switched to the Rogue as my main during Kunark and raided heavily through Luclin. On P99 I've played a Wizard, Rogue, and Mage in classic and then a Monk in Kunark and raided heavily with all of them. I'm pretty familiar with doing DPS on raids in Classic EQ.

In Vanilla (Sky) and Kunark (VP) you have lots of nasty mobs but none of them have more than 32K HP. So you may have mobs that triple for 800 or drop 1000 point AEs, but it's manageable with a reasonable number of healers as long as you also have ample DPS to shorten the length of the fight. This results in successful strategies that revolve around a full burn - popping discs, chain casting nukes, doing whatever you can to blow your DPS load as fast as possible. You only have to rely on two or three healers to keep the main tank up, and as long as everyone has decent resists or enough HP to eat a few AEs, you win easily before anyone goes OOM. This is also why, for instance, Gorenaire is such a hard mob for undergeared/low numbers/inexperienced guilds to kill because she has a number of mechanisms to lengthen the fight (AE slow, can Complete Heal herself). There's nowhere to hide from her AE, so if she gets a CH or two off, healers run out of mana, the casters run out of mana (which is the source of most of the DPS due to melee being slowed) and everyone just ends up dying.

This is basically like all raids in Velious except the fight extension comes in the unavoidable form of mobs getting to have more than 32K hp, from the easier NToV fights clocking in around 85K to AoW having 900K. This means that you can't just operate on a blow-your-load strategy and hope the mob is dead by the time everyone runs out of mana: thus the advent of long CH chains on a series of defensive disc'ing warriors and needing to bring a cadre of clerics to every single raid - also, the shift from being able to rely on short burst damage from casters and melee disciplines to needing lots of sustained melee DPS (rogues/monks) and high damage to mana ratio nukes rationed out carefully (wizard dragon/giant bane spells).

Additionally, something that almost all Velious raids have is the opportunity to position healers out of line-of-sight. This means you typically have a nice safe spot for people to run to if they're getting chewed up by AEs, accidental aggro, or adds. Ideally, you'd have enough clerics to sit in the safe area and keep every member of the raid topped off. This rarely happens, so you end up putting Enchanters, Necros, and Mages on healer mana maintenance duty because none of them do anything very useful during a fight (it's a tossup as to which of these classes is the most boring to play on raids in Velious), and you put your Druids, Shaman, and Paladins on melee-DPS HP maintenance duty because your 6-10 clerics are busy keeping the chain of defensive-disc warriors running. Assuming you have enough Bards, there should be some with the Healers to crank mana, and some with the melee DPS to crank HP regen, resists, and v2 haste.

So if you're a rogue, monk, or one of those less useful melee DPS classes who should never be taking aggro away from that defensive disc warrior MT, you are probably going to end up ducking in and out of the fight to wait on heals from a mana-strapped cleric (if you're lucky), a CH-less druid or shaman (if you're unlucky), or maybe the raid leader just gives your group a paladin (what, did you cyber with his e-wife or something? hope you're bound somewhere interesting). If you want to maximize your time spent hitting the mob (and making the fight shorter and more survivable) then you want to maximize your ability to stay out in the AE mess sticking your weapons in the pooper of whichever mob you're fighting.

The first way to do this is to just always be getting heals. This is rarely in your control and it's rarely going to happen unless your raid composition is both zergy and amazing. You managed to get 20 active clerics in your guild? Congrats, you have won Velious! Wait, they have 40 rangers to heal? There was actually a guild on my server with 130+ on raids regularly that had close to this composition and they had the server-first AoW kill...but they still hadn't gotten past Roy in NToV...
:ughh:

The second way is to jack up your resists. This will help and there's lots of AEs in Velious that you could get partial resists against with a solid set of gear, but (assuming they manage to tweak this pretty close to live) there will be many AEs that are pretty much unresistable, even with a bard popping everything up into the 300s.

The third way is to increase your max HP. If you start with more HP, it will result in you being out there longer before you have to hide from the AE and wait for heals. However, unless you're getting CH'd, this is not going to help you much after the initial engagement. You aren't a MT who is getting CH'd constantly and for whom max HP is all important, so you're likely never going to see a CH the entire fight unless you're in that guild with 20 active clerics.

The final way is to increase your HP regen. If you are constantly gaining HP and not spending anyone's mana (during the fight) to do so, then you are lengthening the time you can stay out in the AEs as well as shortening the time you have to spend outside the AEs when your HP drop too low. So, you have your standing regen of 4 or 12, regrowth/rotg which is +15, and natureskin which is +4 (though likely you'd get Aegolism - the max HP difference of ~700 is worth losing +4 regen most of the time). That's +23/6sec if you're a normal person or +31/6sec if you're an iksar or troll. Throw a fungi on and you're up to 38 or 46 every 6sec. If you're lucky enough to be with a bard who can twist like a bawss you might end up with another +30ish from Cantata and Hymn, though resist stacking 2-3 songs will probably take priority.

The question: is that +15hp/6sec worth losing whatever other BP you might be wearing?

Let's suppose you're a rogue, the most important (and squishiest) DPS class in Velious. If we're talking early Velious and you're well geared then you probably have a Mrylo BP. This gives you around +80 Max HP from raw HP and sta and no resists. It also gives you some other stats but things like STR you have been able to max (with buffs) for a long time, so you're really only concerned with that +80 HP. So here's the calculation: at +15hp/6sec, it would take a fungi 36 seconds to outheal the difference in max HP (a fungi heals 90HP in that time). If you can fight for longer than 36 sec before needing a heal, then the fungi will give you more time to do DPS than the Myrlo BP - and this is assuming you get completely topped off or flat-out CH'd***. More than likely you will end up getting "spot-healed" with a Nature's Touch/Chloroblast combo (980+430=1410), Celestial Elixer (1200), or Torpor (1200-1500), which is enough to get you back into the fight for a little while. You might also end up grouped with a Paladin who is tossing out 200 point group heals periodically. Either way, this means the +80 Max HP on your BP is doing you no good whatsoever after you lose it the first time as you'll likely never be within 500 hp of max for the rest of the fight.

The Skyshrine quest BP gives you around 110 HP and a few points in some resists as well, but even then, unless you're getting a CH and the AE's are big enough that you can't stay out for 50-60 seconds, you're better off wearing the fungi.

Red Dragon BPs, Hate BPs, and other pre-Velious stuff doesn't even come close to competing.

Now there is still a good reason to have a Mrylo BP or one of the 5 Velious set BPs (Thurg, PoG, Kael, Skyshrine, or PoM) and that's because you can heal yourself up outside the AE by spam clicking Invigorate if healers are low on mana or busy ignoring you. A Mrylo BP does 115hp/6sec while the Velious BPs do about 46hp/6sec due to much slower cast time (6sec vs 15 sec). Considering the fungi+sitting regen bonus is only 18hp/6sec (21 for iks/trl), even the relatively slow Velious BPs are still more than twice as effective for non-combat healing.

The story is the same for any class that is forced to be exposed to the AE to do whatever they do - regen is worth much more than it might seem because in Velious fights it has plenty of time to work and be an efficient and effective source of healing. It ultimately saves your healers mana and lets you do more with less. Honestly, the only Velious fight (with AEs) I can think of off the top of my head where max HP is a better option is Sontalak - he only has 100k HP and drops a 600 point fire AE so he succumbs fairly well to a Kunark style blow-your-load strategy and tends to drop fast.

The only other option I haven't talked about is wearing a piece of resist gear in your chest slot like an environment suit. This is not something that's easy to talk math about because we don't have all the proper data so I'll just say this: start with your fungi - if you find yourself resisting some of the AEs, especially partially resisting many of them, then swap to resist gear and see if it helps. If the AEs are big enough that your fungi can't heal more than 25% of the damage before you catch the next one, and you find yourself resisting a significantly greater number of AEs with the resist gear on, consider switching to the resist gear instead. But remember, chest pieces typically only come with +10 to a particular resist stat on them, especially if you're carrying one with more than one resist stat, so it's rarely going to make or break your ability to resist an AE.

***Seriously, the only time I ever got CHs in my entire raiding tenure as a Rogue on live was when our Cleric class leader (who was also a big number crunching guy) wanted to experiment with group CH due to its potential for mana efficiency. It worked great except for the fact that it almost guaranteed that the cleric would pull aggro from even a well geared warrior. He managed to survive a few times for a second group CH with a DA idol + careful DA/DB casting but eventually he would just aggressively spot heal until he was nearly out of mana and then do the suicide group CH. It was a gimmick and ultimately we only messed with it on easy mobs like Klandicar.

The answer: Yes. Math proclaims Fungi is the superior BP for most fights involving AEs. Min-maxing Everquest players have known this since 2000 and even more people know it today on P99. Hence, it might be a reason that the value of fungis goes up, or at least remains high.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Holy poo poo. I think you're missing one part of the equation though, which is overhealing. If you get healed for more than you're below max HP, part of the Fungi's regen has been "wasted", theoretically. But fair points stuff.

Well, I'd like to add that 99% of the players back then, including me, were oblivious to the concept of min-maxing, how stats worked, and pretty much all we could figure out was "wear resist gear against dragons". That's how I recall it. I have no doubt that the top guilds on the servers were the ones that were just a tad smarter and were thus able to beat EQ's laughably simple tank 'n spank encounters in the early days. My hat goes off to them.

I remember that there were fads of sorts during the time I played (2000-2002). I seem to recall that AC was the hot stuff, even recommended for Rogues, around Kunark, then in late Velious the trend shifted towards Hitpoints. I also remember some casters that wore resist gear while just grouping in Sebilis, and I always found that dumb.

We were at least clever enough to prioritize Haste and weapon damage (with a weighted judgement of primary damage for backstab) above all else.

When Aura of Battle and FT items came, people well over themselves to get them. From there, effects slowly got actually useful, so people wised up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Overhealing is a bad healer habit and avoiding it on non-MTs is the first thing that should be taught to DPS healers in raids. Honestly, any decent healer should have figured out it's bad, mana-wasting play by the time they've reached 60.

That said, even on melee DPS it's not that hard to avoid - consider that a solidly geared rogue in Kunark will have nearly 2K HP. Even with Kunark spells you can get up over 3500HP with buffs: (Hero/Natureskin: 400, Talisman of Kragg: 400, Symbol of Marzin 700, Riotous Health: ~150 from +50 STA - in Velious you'll also get Divine Strength from Paladins: 200, and there's tons more +HP/+STA gear available). You teach your melee DPS to go get a heal at 40-50% HP (you want to avoid accidental frenzy aggro from catching a big AE below 50%) and they'll end up with around 2K missing HP. A healer then tosses them one of the chunks of healing I mentioned above that will pop them back up to 80-90% of their max HP (NT/Chloro combo, CE, or Torpor). If you have a Mrylo BP that you're spamming while waiting to get healed, you might get close to topping yourself off, though if you have a Mrylo BP, you've probably got closer to 4K HP buffed and spam clicking will put you close to 90% before you're ready to don your fungi and roll out. Non-Rogue note: Monks should be bandaging themselves while waiting on heals, and Rangers should be self-healing and probably not asking for heals until they're OOM (and maybe not even then, because important people might need those heals).

You're totally right about the fads and how little sense some of them made. Part of the fun of EQ that P1999 and other Classic EQ emulators will never be able to recapture is the massive amount of ignorance on the part of the players. All it took was one popular post on Steel Warrior or the FOH boards and every warrior would preach AC as the one true stat, which would then trickle down into any class that took hits, even rogues who would say things like: "Well, I can't do DPS if I'm dead, so if AC helps me stay alive then I should max it so I can max DPS" and then proceed to take off all their STR gear and use some terrible dmg/dly offhand that happened to have 5AC on it. Then they would post on the Safehouse and say things like "Man, it feels like I'm taking so much less damage this way guys, everyone should try this," and then 100 other people would be doing it by the end of the day. Yes, you are taking less damage because it's impossible to pull aggro now that you do no damage. Good times.

AC was important for rogues....if you were soloing...and not ID/snare kiting...which was really only going to be a worthwhile endeavor at high levels post-Velious if you had a fungi, a willsapper (slow proc), and an eyepatch of plunder (haste clicky). Even then, you were basically a gimpy beastlord with no pet up.

I also remember the huge collective boner for AoB/FT items. FT was a huge deal for casters for whom gear had never really mattered very much compared to melee classes. AoB was a great minor effect for melee DPS especially (+ATK and some regen) but definitely should not have been viewed as this EARTH SHATTERING NEW AMAZING EFFECT like many people did. Primal weapons were much bigger game changers for melee than AoB items, but I think the limited nature of access to ST probably prevented most people from getting as excited about them.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
This is overkill strategy. The majority of players begin running around when their life drops below 70% like it is going to help somehow. Aside from canceling heals, pulling the mob away from the tank, etc etc.

Interesting reading though.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
After reading all that poo poo, I don't want to play EverQuest any more. Thanks for that.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

This is overkill strategy. The majority of players begin running around when their life drops below 70% like it is going to help somehow. Aside from canceling heals, pulling the mob away from the tank, etc etc.

Interesting reading though.
Honestly, it's overkill only if you have the numbers to let you get away with being sloppy. The guild I raided with on live during Velious typically had 20-25 people available at any given time (international guild) with an unusual number of people able to multibox. A few people had access to multiple PCs (mine and my roommate's comp for me), which is what it took to box in those days, but we also had a large portion of the guild who were playing out of one particular internet cafe in Belgium and were always boxing each other's characters (one of the guild's founders was the owner of this cafe - I'm pretty sure he became a rich man by recruiting his customers into his hardcore EQ raiding guild which resulted in some of them practically living in his cafe - kind of a genius move). A solid turnout night would be when we had 40 accounts logged in. If you want to do a lot of Velious fights with 30-40 characters, you have to manage whatever resources you might have a lot more carefully, especially when half of those characters are being played by a person who has their attention divided.

moolchaba posted:

After reading all that poo poo, I don't want to play EverQuest any more. Thanks for that.
Whatever, I'm going to log in later and you'll be sitting in Trak's Teeth again doing...something. Did you manage to get more info on any of those Planar pickup raids yet?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
No. I'm playing other games. I log in, FD and play other games. That is the best EQ experience.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

moolchaba posted:

No. I'm playing other games. I log in, FD and play other games. That is the best EQ experience.

/gems

the best way to spend your highest eq levels

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Still playing Corova and he's a 60 paladin these days, though you can occasionally find me farting around on an alt.

I've been involved in the end-game raiding since Forceful Entry formed up and it's mostly been fun. I do wish things like rotations and being adults and not man-children were utilized instead of the poo poo show the currently exists, but I don't see that happening any time soon. The only way TMO would allow something like that to happen is if they started losing a majority of the raid mobs for an extended period of time. Then, whatever guild was the new top dog would probably not want a rotation as they had to work to get to where they were and I wouldn't blame them for that. If by some stroke of luck/ hard work FE helps remove TMO from the top spot (which is a ways off, if it ever happens) I'd hope we're not a bunch of shitheads selling epic pieces/ raid drops for ridiculous amounts of plat, but it's not my say if something like that were to happen. I really wish a rotation system were worked out, though, because I'd rather not do things like tracking mobs and rushing to get first-to-engage when I could be off doing something else while it was another guild's turn at a mob.

Then, there's the shitshow that is VP, but that's another story altogether.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
How's life in FE? I'm glad someone else is finally trying to get involved in VP though I don't envy the people blowing hours on those raids. VP is a fun zone and playing with trains in there can be fun too as you have the hours and hours of RL time it takes to actually accomplish anything with all that going on. I've been keyed for a long time and would come hang out for those raids but I pretty much never come by the necessary RL hours anymore.

Regarding the raid scene: what ultimately makes rotations/player agreements impossible are the conflict-driven players who run the guilds involved in the raid scene. These people in TOP_GUILD don't just want pixels, they want to DENY the people in COMPETITOR_GUILD the pixels. After all, the pixels are only cool because they're relatively scarce and because WE HAVE THEM EVEN THOUGH YOU TRIED TO GET THEM AND FAILED. Also, the people in TOP_GUILD hate the people in COMPETITOR_GUILD so that's another reason to keep them from getting any pixels. And of course, the people in TOP_GUILD deserve the pixels because they spent the most time and effort in getting them.

Of course, COMPETITOR_GUILD has got some issues with TOP_GUILD too. Typically, COMPETITOR_GUILD came into the raid scene thinking that people would be polite and observe the standard rules of behavior that govern most non-sociopathic human beings. After a few encounters with TOP_GUILD, COMPETITOR_GUILD got soundly disabused of this naivete and begins to resent TOP_GUILD for only narrowly observing the raid rules of the server while throwing the rules of non-sociopathic human behavior out the window. COMPETITOR_GUILD learns from TOP_GUILD and starts pulling the same stunts on TOP_GUILD, often going too far in their inexperience with walking the fine line between bending and breaking the server rules. Thus continuing the cycle of conflict-ridden play (that involves the ever popular sidegames Petitionquest and Forumquest) where everyone on the raid scene largely despises their competition and no one who is currently doing well with the status quo wants to cooperate.

Replace TOP_GUILD with IB/TR/TMO and COMPETITOR_GUILD with every other raiding guild from Transcendence to DA to Ascension to Darkwind to TMO to VD to FE and you've got the story of the raid scene on the server. There have been some legit competing guilds that have been exceptions to this, notably Divinity, Remedy, and pre-VD absorbing BDA, but even these guilds occasionally got caught up in just pissing into their competition's cheerios rather than trying to get pixels for their friends.

And as I mentioned initially, it's the leadership that's the problem. For the most part, a lot of the members of these guilds would love to be able to (as you say Funk) schedule raids and stop poopsocking/tracking even if it cost them some loot. But, the leadership of these guilds are typically players who have been around the server long enough to build up that enmity towards other guilds and don't want to play nice with them. It won't stop until these people stop playing, which will probably, sadly be never.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, this will never be good. One of my favorite stories? When epics came out, two members of the same guild were both trying to be the first to get their epic done. One person did a lot of no-lifing poopsocking and got his pieces. Of course, as many forget, P99 fucks up content constantly, and epics were a huge train wreck when they were released (some more than others obviously). In this case, the turn in mob for a crucial step in the middle was buggy, and a GM would have to fix the mob after a restart. If you then killed this turn in mob (an easily soloable mob, nothing special), it would respawn, be buggy again, and require a GM to fix it, as well as reimburse your pieces that got hosed.

So, person A from a guild got his parts, turned them in. However, another person in his guild had ALSO recently gotten his pieces. However, person B only had to camp like an hour! He got lucky with the repops! HE DOESN'T DESERVE EPIC FIRSTS ON AN EMULATED SERVER FOR A FOURTEEN YEAR OLD loving GAME. Person A was no-lifing it some more, and was there when the GM fixed the turn-in mob. He turned in his parts, then purposefully killed the turn-in guy, to cock-block his OWN loving GUILD MEMBER because, and this is a quote "HE DIDN'T DESERVE IT".

That's the type of person you have to become to be in those guilds. It's all about the loot and ePeen. I've always played where the guild is more friends and family style. I'm happy when we get awesome loot, because that strengths my guild, and then my guild can do better things. It's not about what hawt loot I personally get.

Regarding FE? I don't have nice things to say. I did at first - I still had respect for Shinko, and at least understood where he was coming from, and did a lot of work for BDA while he was with us. I think leaving was actually hard on him. But he broke a LOT of trust and crossed the line recently. It's nasty poo poo that noone outside the two guilds (FE and BDA) really even know about, I don't think. It's a lot of pixel drama, sure, but some stuff was uncalled for, and just dumb. There's still the personal relationship aspects that can't be denied, when you spend so many hours alongside someone playing together.

So yeah, FE has already crossed lines. They're nothing but TMO v2.0. If TMO actually gets uprooted (just like TMO uprooted who used to be "the bad guy" IB), the guild that takes over is just as bad - because you have to become that type of horribleness to get it, due to lovely lovely GMs and Rogean's dumb rear end.

I'm still playing on Sleeper, but IB is already annoying as gently caress on it. But it's fun to play new content with friends, without the twinking and hosed economy. The server staff is already disappointing. The bugs and lag is miserable. But again, playing with friends? Fun.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's totally true that you have to match the nasty play that you're faced with if you want to compete.

Something lovely I personally did as the result of this always sticks out in my mind. This was back when I was in VD and answering batphones for raids. Maestro popped and we were still waiting for our first hand (for warrior epic) so it was a high priority target. We had wizards on already so I hopped on my monk and snagged a port up to Hate with our first group. In vent, I was hearing "just go get FTE, TMO is porting up and more of our people are on the way to help," so I ran to the organ hall, noticing that there were no wandering mobs up along the way. I got there and saw there were about 15 members of Taken sitting in the entrance, staring at Maestro sitting all by himself - they had obviously been clearing around his spawn area and were, for some reason, taking their sweet time to set up to engage (Maestro is duo-able with a tanky melee and a Donal's cleric for those who aren't familiar).

I did a quick /who, saw Sentenza (TMO SK puller) was in zone, so I tagged Maestro, pulled him a bit away from Taken, and a warrior, cleric, and I pretty much killed him alone with a few other VD showing up near the end. And that's how we got our first Maestro hand (finally, after 8 or so kills where he didn't drop one) - because I saw that TMO had people in zone who would be making a beeline for FTE and I didn't want them to get it more than I wanted Taken to get a chance to benefit from their obvious effort.

I've gotten FTE tons of times racing against TMO and other guilds, but that is definitely one time that I'm not proud of. The worst part is how easy it was to justify - TMO pullers obviously would have done the same thing, so if Taken wasn't going to get the mob, we might as well get it instead of TMO - when obviously what should have happened is us helping Taken out with the engage and giving them the loot regardless of who got the kill.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Is the server set up so that first tag on those raid mobs gets the loot no matter who does the 51% damage? Or, if Taken had jumped in and out-damaged your 3-man group, would they have won the loot but you could have petitioned it back to your guild?

I'm still a babby, but I was wondering.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

smuggler posted:

Is the server set up so that first tag on those raid mobs gets the loot no matter who does the 51% damage? Or, if Taken had jumped in and out-damaged your 3-man group, would they have won the loot but you could have petitioned it back to your guild?

There's nothing automatic about it, it becomes Petitionquest. A GM goes in and says who got FTE, then awards loot.

Yes, even if you only had like 3 people there, if you got FTE, you got loot. It's called FTE sniping, and guilds try to win that way all the time now.

This is how the top two raid guilds (and those have changed over time, but it's collectively all of them that have held #1 or #2 positions at one time) WANT things, and how the GMs on P99 WANT things.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

smuggler posted:

FTE means first to engage. First damage to mob determines who wins; if your group was not first to hit, but still did 51% of the damage, you still lose. It's a pretty stupid policy on a PVE carebear server. Not to mention that it's horribly inconsistent with the play-fair policy for non-raid camps.

Nilbog is just as much to blame as the rest of the lead devs for the clusterfuck that raiding is on p99 and for the latent favoritism towards super-selfish-shitheads to rule the day.

FTE would make more sense on the Red PVP server.

Nilbog, you are a loving retard.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Do they enforce junk like that on Red99? I haven't played there since close to its launch, but I thought the whole allure was being no-holds-barred, other than hacking and boxing.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

moolchaba posted:

FTE means first to engage. First damage to mob determines who wins; if your group was not first to hit, but still did 51% of the damage, you still lose. It's a pretty stupid policy on a PVE carebear server. Not to mention that it's horribly inconsistent with the play-fair policy for non-raid camps.

Nilbog is just as much to blame as the rest of the lead devs for the clusterfuck that raiding is on p99 and for the latent favoritism towards super-selfish-shitheads to rule the day.

FTE would make more sense on the Red PVP server.

Nilbog, you are a loving retard.

FTE doesn't mean first to damage. It means first to be on a mob's aggro list. If you get proxy aggro before anyone hits it, you have FTE. However, if you try to snipe with a single person and no one else from the guild gets on the aggro list? Then it's GM discretion and FE has lost loot in this way. FTE is a mess but if they went to straight up damage-dealt then TMO would get even more mobs than they do now. They can/ should be able to out DPS every other guild due to their superior gear/ numbers. I'm not sure how to make determining who wins the loot from a raid mob better (besides guilds respecting each other, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon).

As for how I like FE? I like it way more than I ever thought. I never thought I would be in a raiding guild at any time that I played EQ and kinda just got pushed into it as Acyrid/Chaos merged into FE like a week after FE split from BDA. There are a lot of really cool people in it that are a lot of fun to talk to/ raid with. I would like it even more if the raid scene wasn't retarded. I also really like/ trust our officer core and think they really do want to beat TMO and help open up the raid scene to every guild that wants to participate and not just have it be the usual poo poo, but I could be very much be insane for thinking so.

As for xZAOx, I'm guessing you're mostly referring to the Eye of Inny debacle. It's really been a shame and I'm bummed things haven't worked out. I do wish Chest would have handled it differently and spoken to Shinko or Sloan before going all whiney in RnF, but I can also understand why he did it - he was super pissed. The vast majority of people in FE (if not everyone) had no clue about what happened until we saw that post. I don't think the person that used said Eye for his epic even knew that it wasn't truly the wizard's property and instead a guild bank loan from BDA. Hell, I don't think most of FE even knew that we got another epic'd necro until that happened. I do hope one is given back as it's only fair and really the only way to make the situation even close to right. I don't think the necros/ wizards of BDA should be punished for Chest making a passionate, if immature, post on a message board built around rage.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Also, to add a double post, VP is awful. We've only managed a single Drushk kill in that shitshow. I'm not a training class so I don't really get to join in on the "fun". I just sit camped out for god knows how long waiting for the call to come in and engage while the two guilds train the poo poo out of each other. We have come close, getting both Silverwing and PD under 10%, but we don't have enough VP keys yet to truly compete unless every keyed person shows up. As it is, if TMO gets a clean engage, they're usually coming with 40+ people and a lot of wizards in that group to melt any dragon in there. FE will come in with 20-30 members if we're lucky. We had ~25 for our Drushk kill. It really is a war of attrition in there and we just don't have the numbers to win many of those wars.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Funkutron5000 posted:

As for xZAOx, I'm guessing you're mostly referring to the Eye of Inny debacle. It's really been a shame and I'm bummed things haven't worked out. I do wish Chest would have handled it differently and spoken to Shinko or Sloan before going all whiney in RnF, but I can also understand why he did it - he was super pissed. The vast majority of people in FE (if not everyone) had no clue about what happened until we saw that post. I don't think the person that used said Eye for his epic even knew that it wasn't truly the wizard's property and instead a guild bank loan from BDA. Hell, I don't think most of FE even knew that we got another epic'd necro until that happened. I do hope one is given back as it's only fair and really the only way to make the situation even close to right. I don't think the necros/ wizards of BDA should be punished for Chest making a passionate, if immature, post on a message board built around rage.

Yeah, that's how it started. It got a lot worse than that, but it's finally stopped.

I was very disappointed in that as well. Even though I'm inactive, when the issue was brought up, I could post screenshots from our guild forums where I was telling people "Talk to Shinko and Sloan first. Give them a chance to make it right, before throwing all of FE under the bus because of Slydexx's rear end in a top hat move.". While Chest definitely went ragey (I don't excuse him, but I at least understand him, he's very frustrated and the only reason BDA didn't completely quit being a guild many many months ago, even periods over a year ago), when Shinko and Sloan DID find out what happened and figured it out, they still didn't react properly. Shinko's quote was something like "that's between Slydexx and BDA" - which pretty much proved Chest's original opinion about the whole mess right. Kinda one of those things where as, in BDA, if someone had done something similar they would've seen repurcussions (or more than likely, straight up booted), as well as the guild do its best to reimburse. FE has talked about reimbursment, but with the RNF war, who knows what is and isn't true.

But yeah, that was the first "well dammit" thought towards Shinko. Then he started doing bad things, then there was retaliation, and it got dumber than I've ever seen. Kinda like how Bugen gave his story, while I wasn't part of this drama, things got so bad that BDA people had to do poo poo that DEFINITELY goes against our guild's code to get FE's actions to stop. FE split from BDA, then poached tons of BDA people, including many officers. Lots of trusted people left BDA, and took lots of info of various sorts with them.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Funkutron5000 posted:

FTE doesn't mean first to damage. It means first to be on a mob's aggro list.

Oops.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.
Daaz - level 1 bard* :x

msg me! do it!

Daaz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 9, 2013

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just logged back on to see you logging out. Pop back in if you want some goodies.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Funkutron5000 posted:

Also, to add a double post, VP is awful. We've only managed a single Drushk kill in that shitshow. I'm not a training class so I don't really get to join in on the "fun". I just sit camped out for god knows how long waiting for the call to come in and engage while the two guilds train the poo poo out of each other. We have come close, getting both Silverwing and PD under 10%, but we don't have enough VP keys yet to truly compete unless every keyed person shows up. As it is, if TMO gets a clean engage, they're usually coming with 40+ people and a lot of wizards in that group to melt any dragon in there. FE will come in with 20-30 members if we're lucky. We had ~25 for our Drushk kill. It really is a war of attrition in there and we just don't have the numbers to win many of those wars.

Ohgod the memories RIP Sullon Zek

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

xZAOx posted:

I'm still playing on Sleeper, but IB is already annoying as gently caress on it. But it's fun to play new content with friends, without the twinking and hosed economy. The server staff is already disappointing. The bugs and lag is miserable. But again, playing with friends? Fun.

I'm a little at the end of my rope with sleeper. I don't think you can get from what we have to classic with 5 minor bug fixes a week.

Despite the fact that I constantly post bugs on sleeper, the only two times Kegz has acknowledged me was to accuse me of cheating... twice. Once was to tell me to stop "stacking selos and sow". Including chain dispelling me while I had poo poo chasing me. Awesome.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I logged in with the intention to play last night. I chit-chat with a few people for like 5 minutes, and get D/C'd while omw to Fear and instead go play Counter-Strike... My desire to play EQ is still very much there, but I don't have the real willpower right now to actually go through with it. the FE/TMO/BDA stuff has me wishing an accidental wipe with no real backups would happen, and everyone had to start fresh.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

iNteg posted:

I logged in with the intention to play last night. I chit-chat with a few people for like 5 minutes, and get D/C'd while omw to Fear and instead go play Counter-Strike... My desire to play EQ is still very much there, but I don't have the real willpower right now to actually go through with it. the FE/TMO/BDA stuff has me wishing an accidental wipe with no real backups would happen, and everyone had to start fresh.
Is the high-level guild drama still an issue if you ignore the P1999 forums, stay out of the raid game all together and turn off /ooc and such? Does it infiltrate grouping as well?

PS: It's classic EQ, ha ha.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Is the high-level guild drama still an issue if you ignore the P1999 forums, stay out of the raid game all together and turn off /ooc and such? Does it infiltrate grouping as well?

Yes, if you completely ignore raiding (including your epic for most classes) and ignore the forums, you'll miss the worst of the drama.

Then you'll just have grouping drama - you know, quibbles over YOU TOOK OUR MOBS and what-not, but that's expected. The only real concern with grouping is many people are still raiders on their 5th alt, or at least have been on the server for a while so they're all twinks. So some groups will be very "gently caress you scrub", some won't care. Some will have people leave immediately to answer a batphone on one of their 60s.

So yes, you can ignore the worst of it, but the fact that server is stale and has a super hosed economy is still going to affect your experience.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Hahahaha. stick to Test! are you still playing? I logged in a few times, and only managed to catch Kodaji on once, and he's in some actual raiding guild.

But I'm at the point where grouping to 60 is fine and dandy, but I have zero drive to do it. As soon as I hit 60 it's either raid, get some droppable gear and farm plat to buy my trak BP/VS legs and wait for Velious, or not bother until Velious drops/Rogean starts to give a poo poo about his server and cleans up the trash.

xZAOx posted:

Yes, if you completely ignore raiding (including your epic for most classes) and ignore the forums, you'll miss the worst of the drama.

Then you'll just have grouping drama - you know, quibbles over YOU TOOK OUR MOBS and what-not, but that's expected. The only real concern with grouping is many people are still raiders on their 5th alt, or at least have been on the server for a while so they're all twinks. So some groups will be very "gently caress you scrub", some won't care. Some will have people leave immediately to answer a batphone on one of their 60s.

So yes, you can ignore the worst of it, but the fact that server is stale and has a super hosed economy is still going to affect your experience.

Come be active again and PL me to 60 so I can avoid it all together. I'll force Bugen at gunpoint to pull for me.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Spudsly posted:

I'm a little at the end of my rope with sleeper. I don't think you can get from what we have to classic with 5 minor bug fixes a week.

Despite the fact that I constantly post bugs on sleeper, the only two times Kegz has acknowledged me was to accuse me of cheating... twice. Once was to tell me to stop "stacking selos and sow". Including chain dispelling me while I had poo poo chasing me. Awesome.

Does Kegz have problems with kiting or something? I've pulled off some pretty crazy kites and will probably end up doing a few more at some point and don't really feel like getting in to trouble. I'm mostly playing with RL friends pretending it's only a little sand box and I'm not trying to rush anywhere. It's still an enjoyable experience.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.
Doh! Missed out on loots. I'm back on today. I flunked out of nursing school (despite my best efforts) and i'm regressing back to 6th grade like a mofo with this shiz. I see myself poop socking within 48 hours.

I'll be on daaz for most of today! Msg me and hang out cool guys

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Just reinstalled on my macbook and I have a 39 Monk thats pretty twinked out with an FBSS, Fungi and a nice 2h staff. Anyone know a great spot to solo like SolA? It seems a lot of the gnomes there are light blue cons now that I just hit 39. Also can anyone explain the finer points on how to play a monk solo and in groups? I havn't played for such a long time I have no idea what's going on here.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Equality posted:

Just reinstalled on my macbook and I have a 39 Monk thats pretty twinked out with an FBSS, Fungi and a nice 2h staff. Anyone know a great spot to solo like SolA? It seems a lot of the gnomes there are light blue cons now that I just hit 39. Also can anyone explain the finer points on how to play a monk solo and in groups? I havn't played for such a long time I have no idea what's going on here.

Find Bugen in game. That man knows monks better than any one I know.

his forum name is aparmenideanmonad as well, so he may respond to you in here :P

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Equality posted:

monk questions
I'd suggest heading to LGuk if you liked SolA. LGuk would be good because you can start to work on camping Raster (you should be able to clear the mino elder camp for nice XP with that gear) and all it takes is a bit of splitting and being able to deal with running mobs in a dungeon, which you should be familiar with from SolA. Having some invis potions/Larrikan's Mask/Ring of Shadows is handy for getting around as well, though you can just flop your way through if you're brave/patient.

As for playing Monks solo and in groups, well, I could whip up a huge wall of text but I'll restrict myself a bit to a medium sized one.

Solo, you're typically going to rely on FD to split up camps to get singles, mend to stay healthy during fights, and FD again to keep you safe if you bite off more than you can chew. Bandages can actually be used in combat if you've got fast fingers/good macros, though with a fungi you can probably just save them for out of combat regen. Once you're 51, you can also use the Stonestance discipline frequently to help cut down on the damage you take, for instance, if you fail an FD while splitting up a room. Finally, if you're fighting casters it's worth having a fast set of dual wield weapons (Jade Mace, epic fists, etc.) because you can often push them so far back while they're casting that you'll interrupt them. This won't be extremely reliable before you get an epic and can haste yourself, but it's often more reliable than hoping for stun procs.

In groups you're usually going to be pulling and doing DPS. You may end up tanking at times as well. The only real difference when pulling for groups is that you'll often be tackling larger/more dangerous camps and be able to pull more than one at a time. Just be sure you know how many mobs your bard/enc/rootparking ranger is comfortable with before you bring a train back with you. A good group puller keeps track of which spots have been pulled and should also have at least a general idea of how long it's going to be before things respawn. If you do this you won't have to resplit rooms over and over and can just grab singles as soon as they pop. If your group is sitting in a place where mobs spawn you can also avoid pulling mobs into a repop. I use this handy freeware timer program to keep track of respawns when I'm pulling: http://www.morimosoft.com/en/mwatch/ One instance has 10 timers and you can run as many as you want. I've been known to have 2-3 of them open at a time.

For splitting, it's very helpful to have some solid throwing weapons. In dungeons you can get away with vendor throwing shuriken/daggers or the low level mage summoned versions. However, the higher level mage summoned shuriken as well as forged javelins are much better due to having longer range. A lot of monks end up smithing their own javs (trivial at 60 skill or so) as a result.

Finally, there's been some changes made to FD recently so things may be different than the last time you played. The most important one I can think of is that if a caster lands a spell on you after you've FD'd, even if you resist it, your FD will be broken. So, when splitting casters, be sure let them finish casting their spells (or run out of range) before you FD. The other nerfs took away most of the gimmicks that let you reliably mem-blur mobs using FD+sneak/hide/invis. Try out some easy splitting/pulling situations before you mess around with harder ones.

If you need help with the basics of FD splitting or other more specific questions, just ask.

EDIT: The thread is a good place to ask because there's lots of monk players in here besides me and finding me in game during normal hours can be a challenge :D

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 9, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

You know how an angel gets its wings whenever a bell is rung?

Well, I stop playing EQ every time you post.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm glad I can be a healthy force in your life. Tell your RL friends/family/coworkers to thank me.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Bashez posted:

Does Kegz have problems with kiting or something? I've pulled off some pretty crazy kites and will probably end up doing a few more at some point and don't really feel like getting in to trouble. I'm mostly playing with RL friends pretending it's only a little sand box and I'm not trying to rush anywhere. It's still an enjoyable experience.

I don't know. I wouldn't worry about kiting itself. He watched me pull and kill the entire OT zone at once while he was there. It was only after he noticed that I had both selos and sow up that he got agitated. He was sure the run speed portion was stacking (it doesn't) and asked why I didn't report the bug of them stacking.... cause it's not a bug?

It was just enough to make me worry about how things will be enforced on the server. He just doesn't seem to know a whole lot about the game or how it works. He then got real accusatory about how I leveled my druid (by leaching from my bard). It was just a really frustrating experience.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 9, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Spudsly posted:

I don't know. I wouldn't worry about kiting itself. He watched me pull and kill the entire OT zone at once while he was there. It was only after he noticed that I had both selos and sow up that he got agitated. He was sure the run speed portion was stacking and asked why I didn't report the bug of them stacking.... cause it's not a bug?

It was just enough to make me worry about how things will be enforced on the server. He just doesn't seem to know a whole lot about the game or how it works. He then got real accusatory about how I leveled my druid (by leaching from my bard). It was just a really frustrating experience.

Yeah. A lot of the appeal of this server was the hope of a much better server staff. Kegz has shown that he is not the mature calm person he claimed he is. Nor is he knowledgeable, or capable. And the new GM Grim? Oh lord, don't get me started on that guy.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Man, I can't explain why, but 11 years after I last played Live, EQ still has its hooks in me. This morning I was reading the EQClassic forums, and all that reminiscing really brought out the nostalgia. Fired up P99 when I got home and made a Human Enchanter (Cephelo). Not sure starting in Qeynos was that wise, since it's pretty sparsely populated, but whatever. Probably won't last all that long, but I got to 6 tonight, untwinked and with like 1/2 my spells at best, heh. Had a pretty good time in Blackburrow grouped with a SK. Gnoll fangs really are awesome XP at those early levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Rolled a Dawrf Cleric named Jhorf. Ill be hanging around the Dwarf newbie lands for awhile, come get some heals!

• Locked thread