Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

The Insect Court posted:

What "deep" turn-based strategy games are available for iOS? Civ-likes or X-COM-likes, whatever, as long as there's some depth to its mechanics and a significant amount of content. I've made my way through Final Fantasy Tactics and Civ: Revolutions. What else is there? How are the Avernums that have been ported over? edit: I've also tried Battle of the Bulge and while I am horrendous at it, stuff of its complexity would be awesome.

Frozen Synapse should be coming out for ipad next week.

Edit: And Faster Than Light might be in the works. The devs are exploring the possibilities. Goddamn I hope it happens.

Tirius fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eclipse is another new release. Space based 4x with a board game twist.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have no real insight into FTL but I happened to meet the guys who made it a while ago (friends of an acquaintance of a friend) and my sense was that they were glad it was finished and were looking forward to doing something new. I would imagine if it does end up on iOS it'll be through farming out the port to someone else.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Samara posted:

I'm 400 snakes from Bare Chested Willie.

That's 45 donuts. About $4.

IAP in Simpsons is brutal.

shame you can't mass dump eggs otherwise i would give you all of mine...but manually placing 500 eggs...gently caress that.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.

Stormfang1502 posted:

So...wait...let me get this straight now.

This is a game where you play a princess held in captivity?

Waiting for rescue by a prince?

And it reappeared on the App Store this week?

Oh irony, I love you so!

There's a cry button and a sigh button. I don't know what the point of this is, except to make me more sympathetic to Anita Sarkeesian.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

Well, it's pretty basic, like you just go through a level and fight groups of monsters, which I guess is grindy? Honestly I've never been tempted to pay real money for anything, not even the special dudes you can get. I'd say try it out, it's free!

gently caress this is addictive. It's got hooks like WoW, Magic, and Pokemon combined. Doesn't seem too bad IAP-wise so far, but I can tell if I were pushed a little I'd be in trouble.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Isn't Sid Meier's Ace patrol supposed to be out by now? Release date is the 9th. I know it has been out on the Canadian store for ages and might grab it from there. If I do am I going to have to switch stores constantly?

Edit: it just dropped on the Aussie App Store. Let you know how it is after I go see Star Trek.

Raged fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 9, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Raged posted:

WW I air combat game.

what. What is this. Tell me more about this.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Insect Court posted:

What "deep" turn-based strategy games are available for iOS? Civ-likes or X-COM-likes, whatever, as long as there's some depth to its mechanics and a significant amount of content. I've made my way through Final Fantasy Tactics and Civ: Revolutions. What else is there? How are the Avernums that have been ported over? edit: I've also tried Battle of the Bulge and while I am horrendous at it, stuff of its complexity would be awesome.

All these fit the bill:

War of Eustrath
Frontline Tactics
Hero Mages
Great Big War Game
Hunters 2
Kirin Wars (Ugly as sin)
Rad Soldiers
Rebirth of Fortune
Ravenmark
Sol Tactics (Kind of meh)
UniWar
World Conqueror 2
World in War
Song Summoner
Tactical Soldier Undead Rising
Spectral Souls

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Not just a WWI air combat game, but one designed by Sid Meier. It's been in soft-launch in Canada for a while now. Here's an interview with Sid about it.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If you've played the Blue Max boardgame, it's in the same vein except the damage is a generic HP bar and varies depending on angle of attack, distance, altitude, and other factors. Turn based on a hex grid and the maneuvers available to you depend on pilot skill and what your current situation is; if you've banked from a turn your options will be different from having flown straight. Free to play the British campaign, IAP is minimal to buy new nationalities ($5 total if you buy them all) and ace pilots ($1 each or all 8 for $5) to unlock new skills and plane skins.

I think it's a solid for an iOS game, although I wish they had gone with location-specific damage.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Det_no posted:

All these fit the bill:

War of Eustrath
Frontline Tactics
Hero Mages
Great Big War Game
Hunters 2
Kirin Wars (Ugly as sin)
Rad Soldiers
Rebirth of Fortune
Ravenmark
Sol Tactics (Kind of meh)
UniWar
World Conqueror 2
World in War
Song Summoner
Tactical Soldier Undead Rising
Spectral Souls
Battle of Wesnoth is back on the App Store, kind of; it's in a normal and HD(iPad) version for $4 each, and it's a different app than the old one that used to be on the App Store, so you'll have to buy it again. That said, this one does seem to be updated regularly and appears to have multiplayer(don't know if it's same device or over the net).

FYI for those that don't know, you can play the entire thing free on your PC by going to http://www.wesnoth.org/.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

To that great list of strategy/tactics games you can also add Starbase Orion, a space 4X game that's $8, and Kingturn RPG, a tactics game that you can play the first chapter of for free, full game is $5.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Insect Court posted:

If you have Bulge then I'm going to go ahead and assume you have an iPad. In which case, you need Battle Academy. It has tons of content, and the multiplayer is wonderful. It's $20, but even at that price it's one of the best value items on the App Store. This is a full featured PC game ported across and is very well supported.

BUY BATTLE ACADEMY. There's a lite version now so you can check it out, but it really is the dog's danglies. Very robust WWII tactics game, with plenty of eye candy as tanks drive around shooting their guns. It's just about the perfect turn-based war game.

Worth every penny, and then some.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Seconding Battle Academy. It's brilliant.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Mozi posted:

I have no real insight into FTL but I happened to meet the guys who made it a while ago (friends of an acquaintance of a friend) and my sense was that they were glad it was finished and were looking forward to doing something new. I would imagine if it does end up on iOS it'll be through farming out the port to someone else.
This is basically all games.

I mean, see the adjacently mentioned Frozen Synapse; whilst they didn't "farm it out" they hired people in because iOS dev is like killing yourself in the face, and the Vita version is farmed out.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

MissMarple posted:

This is basically all games.

I mean, see the adjacently mentioned Frozen Synapse; whilst they didn't "farm it out" they hired people in because iOS dev is like killing yourself in the face, and the Vita version is farmed out.

So I finished Star Command and...well...is that it? no conversation options eorth a drat (2 that I found actually do something), and a very linear campaign which is over in a couple of hours, resulting in a 'here's your new ship! deja vu lol'.

What did they spend their cash and time on? blackjack and hookers?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The sad part is the new ship layout and rooms look interesting, but playing after that point means putting up with the same boring rear end story again (plus even more grinding)

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
Anyone here has an opinion on burnout crash for iOS?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

DrManiac posted:

The sad part is the new ship layout and rooms look interesting, but playing after that point means putting up with the same boring rear end story again (plus even more grinding)

No need to grind, just put all your dudes in one weapons room and hit fire every 30 sec or so. Your ship can't be destroyed. bonus points if you have hull breaches just outside the door to that room and the enemy just walk towards it over and over.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Is Sid Meier's plane game out yet :ohdear: I really, really need to play it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Necroneocon posted:

It is in Australia, bit hard to find searching the app store though, it might help if you find the 2K games page rather than look for the game itself, thats how I found it.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

KongGeorgeVII posted:

It is in Australia, bit hard to find searching the app store though, it might help if you find the 2K games page rather than look for the game itself, thats how I found it.

I just checked the touch arcade forum and i'm downloading it now! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id583000830?mt=8 Yay! (America)

Thanks so much!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Necroneocon posted:

It is on the app store and I'm downloading it right now.

Has anyone here played WazHack yet? I'm a big fan of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and am hoping this could be a fun little time waster in that spirit.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Necroneocon posted:

I just checked the touch arcade forum and i'm downloading it now! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id583000830?mt=8 Yay! (America)

Thanks so much!

Great game, big fan of the turn based fighting style.

There's a board game called X Wing Miniatures that would be perfect for this.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
I want to play an RPG on iPhone 5 and have been looking at Zenonia. Is it burdened with IAP or is there a better option out there? There are 4 of them, which one is best?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh my god, Ace Patrol is great. Looks to be pretty playable as a "free" game, too, although you have to pay to unlock extra nationalities/campaigns (which I am about to do right now). There are consumable IAP purchases that allow you to spring your pilots out of POW camp/the hospital early, but take heed if that sets off red flags: their release isn't tied to a timer or anything, they're just locked up for a set number of missions, and it feels like a very natural/appropriate consequence for being downed behind enemy lines. Makes the IAP seem like more of a "cheat" purchase than a freemium timer game thing. I love the core game so far though, here's hoping the multiplayer mode is well-implemented because this would make a GREAT new async fixation for me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Insect Court posted:

Summer can't come soon enough! Hurry up XCOM port!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Samara posted:

Great game, big fan of the turn based fighting style.

There's a board game called X Wing Miniatures that would be perfect for this.
Funny and relevant, X-Wing Minituares is actually a copy of a WWI miniatures game called Wings of War/Wings of Glory (which I actually prefer since it doesn't use dice to resolve fights).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just finished Mission 16 in Space Agency which is a full-on recreation of the Apollo Moon Landing and Jesus Christ. It took me well over a dozen, perhaps 2 dozen attempts and it's a 10-15 minute mission. I can see it being the ragequit point for a lot of players. It doesn't really help that the Moon has a landing zone which is about 4 lander widths long, and that matching lunar rotation requires your velocity to dip well into the orange "rapidly plummet into the moon" zone. It did bring back memories of the old Windows Lander game although not quite as fussy as that legendarily was. The Lander (both ascent/descent modules, but particularly ascent) seems a bit more fidgety than every other vehicle in the game up to that point. At least the ascent module's auto-launch is pretty cool to see in action.

If anything, this game has given me a new appreciation for just how loving insane it was that we managed to put a man on the moon with 60's technology/experience without killing dozens upon dozens of astronauts in the process. Like I have.

EDIT: As a tip, I've found it much easier when docking in orbit not to line up and dock horizontally but to roughly match speed and dock on the vertical (from above or below) with a well-applied thruster boost. Not exactly kosher I'm sure but it's less risky and time-consuming.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 9, 2013

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Splits posted:

I want to play an RPG on iPhone 5 and have been looking at Zenonia. Is it burdened with IAP or is there a better option out there? There are 4 of them, which one is best?

Splits posted:

There should be 5 actually.
They get more and more riddled with iap as the series goes on, we had a conversation about it a while back in the thread. Zenonia 5 is borderline broken because of iap.

Which one is best? I dunno, it depends on what you want. They're all Korean RPGs and don't really deviate from all the KRPG stereotypes, so keep that in mind.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Splits posted:

my favorite krpg on the iphone's probably crimson heart. i only paid 99 cents for it and never spent any on iap.

translation is a little wonky, and the story's goofy, but there's ton to do and the game looks and plays great.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Virigoth posted:

It is on the app store and I'm downloading it right now.

Has anyone here played WazHack yet? I'm a big fan of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and am hoping this could be a fun little time waster in that spirit.

I bought Wazhack when it was on Desura and it was a fun little time waster at work. It's a fun poop game and the dev is really nice and friendly and responds to every single email.

Plus it's free. Give it a whirl.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You guys, Ace Patrol is really good. Like, after twenty minutes, this has just shot up to the top of my favorite iPad games of all time list. It's extremely reminiscent of Wings of War/X-wing Miniatures, with what seems like a really great little campaign system where your pilots levels up, gain new maneuvers, and earn upgrades that you can assign to their planes. The campaigns also appear to be either partially randomized or at least branching in some way, as you get to choose between multiple offensive and defensive missions which seem to affect how the front moves.

The IAP stuff is extremely fair as well. The only consumables are cheats, and you can spend around $5 to unlock all the actual content. There's also a $5 ace pack that just unlocks a bunch of pilots with special abilities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

You guys, Ace Patrol is really good. Like, after twenty minutes, this has just shot up to the top of my favorite iPad games of all time list. It's extremely reminiscent of Wings of War/X-wing Miniatures, with what seems like a really great little campaign system where your pilots levels up, gain new maneuvers, and earn upgrades that you can assign to their planes. The campaigns also appear to be either partially randomized or at least branching in some way, as you get to choose between multiple offensive and defensive missions which seem to affect how the front moves.

The IAP stuff is extremely fair as well. The only consumables are cheats, and you can spend around $5 to unlock all the actual content. There's also a $5 ace pack that just unlocks a bunch of pilots with special abilities.

I guess this isn't out in the US yet, it's not showing up on the appstore?

Does it require iOS 6?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I don't know if it requires iOS 6, but I'm in the US. Try this direct link.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

The Insect Court posted:

Wasteland and Aliens Vs. Humans are two solid X-COM-likes. The former is a WWI-meets-Cthulhu thing, while the latter is a carbon copied "gently caress you" letter to copyright law and concept of intellectual property.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kenny Logins posted:

Just finished Mission 16 in Space Agency which is a full-on recreation of the Apollo Moon Landing and Jesus Christ. It took me well over a dozen, perhaps 2 dozen attempts and it's a 10-15 minute mission. I can see it being the ragequit point for a lot of players. It doesn't really help that the Moon has a landing zone which is about 4 lander widths long, and that matching lunar rotation requires your velocity to dip well into the orange "rapidly plummet into the moon" zone. It did bring back memories of the old Windows Lander game although not quite as fussy as that legendarily was. The Lander (both ascent/descent modules, but particularly ascent) seems a bit more fidgety than every other vehicle in the game up to that point. At least the ascent module's auto-launch is pretty cool to see in action.

If anything, this game has given me a new appreciation for just how loving insane it was that we managed to put a man on the moon with 60's technology/experience without killing dozens upon dozens of astronauts in the process. Like I have.

EDIT: As a tip, I've found it much easier when docking in orbit not to line up and dock horizontally but to roughly match speed and dock on the vertical (from above or below) with a well-applied thruster boost. Not exactly kosher I'm sure but it's less risky and time-consuming.

Just wait until the next (or the one after that) mission. Another 10-15 minute mission by sheer virtue of travel times.

Send two probes to the green planet (by way of the moon) so avoid colliding enroute. One is a dish and somehow has to be pointed at whatever landing area you choose for the other probe (atmosphere entry with no parachutes). Keep the atmo probe upright so it "transmits" data to the dish probe.

I have no idea what it's asking me to do. Maybe put the dish in a geosynchronous orbit and put the atmo probe right down under it? The instructions are non-existent.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Paradoxish posted:

100% agree, I didn't even see this one coming and it's very, very good.

Fantasy Flight, make XWing out of this engine!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

In free mode I want to go to the moon, land on it, then take off. It seems like that would be impossible due to the sheer weight of it all. How do I do this? 2 ships? How does that work?

• Locked thread