Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Un has no idea what the gently caress he's even looking at.
"Yup this parachute is...well packed."

"That's my laundry, sir."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6197143

I'm surprised that these aren't already up to $10k+

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"That's my laundry, sir."

Great Successor develops parachute out of laundry, stuns imperialists worldwide!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Un has no idea what the gently caress he's even looking at.
"Yup this parachute is...well packed."

"Why is this so light? Re-pack it with an anvil."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

"Why is this so light? Re-pack it with an anvil."

I laughed way too hard at this.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

benem
Feb 15, 2012

This pattern is not even digital, how is this supposed to work??

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

benem posted:

This pattern is not even digital, how is this supposed to work??

:drat:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

First arrested landing by a UAV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z2vpnbEbXc

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Just for the 47. The Shadow and Hunter have been doing them for ages

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

To be fair, the Shadow and Hunter are much smaller and aren't landing on an aircraft carrier. Pretty cool stuff.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DoktorLoken posted:

To be fair, the Shadow and Hunter are much smaller and aren't landing on an aircraft carrier. Pretty cool stuff.

I know, but that wasn't a carrier landing, either

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Beautiful day today so I snapped a picture off the wing, just a few Texans, chillin. That's something like 4 of 10 solo planes that were all launched

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCaVQSlWi4

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Well. That was...exactly what I thought would happen. That video could be about 30 seconds shorter though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I hope that was training; getting dropped somewhere random in Pakistan or something would suck rear end.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Baloogan posted:

I hope that was training; getting dropped somewhere random in Pakistan or something would suck rear end.

Something tells me cameras wouldn't be running if that was the case. Anyhow, that must be a hell of a wake up.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Baloogan posted:

He was a 5th Group Jumpmaster, doing a training Chinook jump. Apparently he landed 30 miles from the DZ... and to add insult to injury (from what I've read he was fine) when your reserve deploys with a working main, which would have deployed after getting pulled out like that since he was hooked up, you are unable to control which way you drift. At least with both a main and reserve he fell really slowly.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What is the procedure if you have both chutes deployed? Seems like having them both out could cause a malfunction or something. Not airborne so I've no idea.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

What is the procedure if you have both chutes deployed? Seems like having them both out could cause a malfunction or something. Not airborne so I've no idea.

I've seen it happen at the FOB near the DZ in Benning. Guy just floated down with two chutes. Didn't see the landing because of a treeline. I don't have jump wings, best guess is that you just do a regular PLF when you land.

E: Best mistake I saw was two guys get tangled. Two chutes and the guys are just floating down attached, but in a controlled manner. Really wonder how that landing looked.

EBB fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 9, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Veins McGee posted:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6197143

I'm surprised that these aren't already up to $10k+

Some crazy poo poo shows up on gov liquidation.

A friend of mine picked up 2 fully operational Oskkosh LVS's for $20,000 each off gov liquidation in Florida.

He had them flat bedded to California, then sold one for cash to restore the other one and buy all new tires and an extra trailer.

DRMO let that batch out on surplus and decided in the future it probably isn't a good idea to let civilians drive around with HEMTTS and LVS's so all future sales of those are susposed to be cut up and shredded to be sold as scrap metal.

I have to go install tires on the guys HMMWV this weekend so I'll take some pictures of it.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

Ride it down if nothing happens to either chute. Typically when you are about to land you pull your risers, aka slip, opposite your direction of drift in order to slow your horizontal movement, can't do that when both chutes are open. That's the most probable outcome, malfunction wise the reserve might remove the lift of the main chute if it somehow got directly underneath it but there would still be a working canopy that you would be able to somewhat slip with, side to side not front back AFAIK. Thankfully never had to use the Soft Loop Center Pull Reserve. Most catastrophic outcome only occurs, from what I've been told, when the main is offering no lift capability and is somewhat rolled up. The reserve can deploy, then get wrapped around the main ensuring the jumper's fate.

Now that I've covered the lovely stuff that can happen, more than likely both offset and you ride it down nice and slowly (~18ft per second) but are unable to slip into the wind since doing it with one doesn't do it with the other.

So most likely and TLDR: Not unsafe, no slipping into the wind, softer landing vertically, harder landing horizontally (depending on wind)

BaconAndBullets fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 9, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Speaking of chutes, some poor soul accidentally deploys his reserve while inside the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHqLxhmfnmY

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oxford Comma posted:

Speaking of chutes, some poor soul accidentally deploys his reserve while inside the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHqLxhmfnmY

Dude. Nine posts up.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Dude. Nine posts up.

:ughh:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Now in extra-hilarious gif form!

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

The best arrested landing, fast forward to 1:50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OloUUhMeg

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXU-3kFezf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt9zmMnnPYs

This poo poo here is intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFQ8SUMLJk

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 9, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVd4mLQJt0

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pfft.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No fair using practice nukes.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is that ACU or ABU?

I'm inclined to say they are zoomies because of the perfectly round hats but I need some backup on this one

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Is that ACU or ABU?

I'm inclined to say they are zoomies because of the perfectly round hats but I need some backup on this one

When I saw the video it was some variety of Asian narrating, not sure if it was JDF or South Korean.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, too dark for either US uniform, I think.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

DoktorLoken posted:

It depends on the equipment being used and how well it's behaving. Two rounds out presuming they "inflated" properly will just land you softly. PLF per usual.

BaconAndBullets posted:

Ride it down if nothing happens to either chute. Typically when you are about to land you pull your risers, aka slip, opposite your direction of drift in order to slow your horizontal movement, can't do that when both chutes are open. That's the most probable outcome, malfunction wise the reserve might remove the lift of the main chute if it somehow got directly underneath it but there would still be a working canopy that you would be able to somewhat slip with, side to side not front back AFAIK. Thankfully never had to use the Soft Loop Center Pull Reserve. Most catastrophic outcome only occurs, from what I've been told, when the main is offering no lift capability and is somewhat rolled up. The reserve can deploy, then get wrapped around the main ensuring the jumper's fate.

Now that I've covered the lovely stuff that can happen, more than likely both offset and you ride it down nice and slowly (~18ft per second) but are unable to slip into the wind since doing it with one doesn't do it with the other.

So most likely and TLDR: Not unsafe, no slipping into the wind, softer landing vertically, harder landing horizontally (depending on wind)

You guys still have capewells on these setups, right?

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 9, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

It's absolutely shocking how many people can't throw a drat grenade more than four feet.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Tremblay posted:

You guys still have capewells on these setups, right?

Yeah, but we call 'em Canopy Release Assemblies and they aren't on the reserve.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

BaconAndBullets posted:

Yeah, but we call 'em Canopy Release Assemblies and they aren't on the reserve.

Sure. Reserve release has always been a knife. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Like, how did this happen? Whenever I've done a grenade on a range its been mad safe. Not to nerd out but no PPE, sandbag berm. Did the grenade just drop over her shoulder when she went to throw it? And why the gently caress does the PSO behind her glance up over the berm as it goes off? My head would be buried in the loving ground.

• Locked thread