Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Makes airline reservations a bitch, though. "It's Te-ROR-rist, you racist bastard."

Eh, not that tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDC70SLgXk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

Mister Bates posted:

'Hassan Terrorist' is the best name ever.

I should have registered as "Active Shooter".

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Tibeerius posted:

In addition to what's already been posted - and if you're feeling glib - you can link to Obama's actual accomplishments:

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/
Ugh this site is pointless as gently caress. The economy and the environment are falling apart, the war on drugs rages on, we're still spending trillions on the military while talking about cutting entitlements, and the business criminals got - are still getting away with - everything they could want. But he appointed a Latina to the Supreme Court so I guess we should just shut up. Reminds me of that other site with Obama's campaign promises ranking buying his kids a dog next to ending wars.

We need radical change and Obama isn't the guy who can do it. It doesn't even seem like he WANTS to do it. How can anyone but the most flag-waving of party Democrats support him in any way more significant than "better than the other guy"?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Interlude posted:

We need radical change and Obama isn't the guy who can do it. It doesn't even seem like he WANTS to do it. How can anyone but the most flag-waving of party Democrats support him in any way more significant than "better than the other guy"?

No Presidential Administration is capable of making radical change by itself. That is by design. We aren't some top-down monarchy where if the president gets a stupid haircut, it becomes all the rage. The president might be the single most powerful individual in the US, but his position is administrative and has powers plus limitations in line with that function.

If you want radical change, there is a clearly delineated path to achieve it in our system, though the reality is of course less clear cut. You need to get massive popular support and ram a bill through Congress. The President isn't SUPPOSED to be able to change the course of the country without the will of the people as expressed by Congress at his back for very obvious reasons.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Why is Gitmo on there?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Interlude posted:

We hold out hope that if we pretend our Morale has improved they won't have to continue the daily beatings.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

greatn posted:

We hold out hope that if we pretend our Morale has improved they won't have to continue the daily beatings.

That is part of the strategy necessary to getting what you want. If the Democrats voted in the same lockstep manner Republicans are able too, they would be able to pass substantially more legislation and have a focused view of where to bring America. The issue with being the big tent party is that this doesn't happen. If more Democrats just blatantly and openly supported the President we would see a more liberal agenda going through.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
I'm not a fan of Obama either but conservatives bashing him for not closing Gitmo or for the effects of the sequester is like the height of childishness. If someone other than the Democrats in general and Obama in particular had been responsible for either of those things the Republicans would likely be praising them for it.

Republican polemics have literally been reduced to "arbitrarily attach Obama's name to X Thing that People Dislike, even if we would likely support X Thing otherwise."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Interlude posted:

Ugh this site is pointless as gently caress. The economy and the environment are falling apart, the war on drugs rages on, we're still spending trillions on the military while talking about cutting entitlements, and the business criminals got - are still getting away with - everything they could want. But he appointed a Latina to the Supreme Court so I guess we should just shut up. Reminds me of that other site with Obama's campaign promises ranking buying his kids a dog next to ending wars.

This might be more to your liking then: http://whatinthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Why is Gitmo on there?
Obama signed an executive order to close Gitmo (which is I believe what the website says). Congress blocked it by attaching a rider to a "must sign" defense appropriations bill.

So the "Benghazi whistleblower" hearings were yesterday. Nothing new was revealed, but since hearings always seem to result in an uptick of stupid Facebook posts, I thought I'd share one of the more interesting things to come out of the hearings: Their testimony undermined a lot of Benghazi conspiracy theories, such as

quote:

1. F-16s could have been sent to Benghazi
2. Hillary Clinton signed cables denying additional security to Benghazi
3. A Special Forces Team that could have saved lives was told to stand down
4. The State Department’s Accountability Review Board isn’t legitimate

Their "star witness" could only muster mild outrage over an F-16 not being magically scrambled to buzz the consulate (seriously, WTF would that even do?!), and over the delayed deployment of an ill-equipped "Special Forces" team that could hope to do little more than secure the Benghazi airport. Consider using that information the next time someone on your feed gets mad that Obama didn't magically teleport Rambo into the consulate or whatever.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Nathilus posted:

No Presidential Administration is capable of making radical change by itself. That is by design. We aren't some top-down monarchy where if the president gets a stupid haircut, it becomes all the rage. The president might be the single most powerful individual in the US, but his position is administrative and has powers plus limitations in line with that function.
Of course not, but isn't the 'bully pulpit', for lack of a better phrase, part of the job? Especially during your second term, when you can afford to drop the centrist veneer? He certainly did it pushing for gun control, after four years of silence on the issue. Make a god damned effort that doesn't involve compromising social programs. Use the Newtown appeal and surround yourself with kids who lost their houses due to bank greed, or due to Hurricane Sandy, and push for something meaningful. We don't have the time to pussy-foot around with this. Honestly I don't even care if he doesn't get a law passed (which may be the reality in Congress right now), so long as he changes the dialogue.

quote:

If you want radical change, there is a clearly delineated path to achieve it in our system, though the reality is of course less clear cut. You need to get massive popular support and ram a bill through Congress. The President isn't SUPPOSED to be able to change the course of the country without the will of the people as expressed by Congress at his back for very obvious reasons.
Then he should be drumming up that massive popular support. In 2009 he could have pushed for anything he wanted. He could have led the people against the banks. He could have ended the drug war. We were ready, but the fact of his fundamental cowardice slowly began to reveal itself.

FCKGW posted:

This might be more to your liking then: http://whatinthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/
Bravo.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Interlude posted:

I don't want to jump on the automatic "Blame Bush" bandwagon, but the fact is that Obama inherited a huge mess. The sheer inertia of all of the terrible things that Bush implemented or exacerbated has got to be extraordinarily difficult to even slow down, much less stop or change directions with.

You can't just pull out of a region after destabilizing the gently caress out of it with military actions for years.

The economy and the environment are not things that can be "fixed" in four years by one administration.

Military spending is ridiculous, but let's not forget that much of that is nevertheless stimulative on the economy, because a lot of it goes to jobs and manufacturing. A lot of it doesn't, but it's not as easy as "cut military spending" and you know that.

I suspect that the promises that Obama made during the '08 campaign were completely genuine, but they were made by a candidate who probably did not fully appreciate the mess he was stepping into.

This is not necessarily intended as excuses for the things Obama has or has not done - some of it is very contra what many of his supporters (including me) wanted to see - but we need to recognize that George Bush's administration was literally one of the worst and most destructive in the history of the US, and that kind of damage on top of the worst economy in decades cannot just be mopped up in a few years.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Walter posted:

I don't want to jump on the automatic "Blame Bush" bandwagon, but the fact is that Obama inherited a huge mess. The sheer inertia of all of the terrible things that Bush implemented or exacerbated has got to be extraordinarily difficult to even slow down, much less stop or change directions with.

Nobody can still believe this. It's been over four years. His MO is talking a progressive game while actively sabotaging any real progress behind the scenes and continuing all of Bush's policies.

Notice how much havoc the Republicans can wreak the second they get into office? That's because they actually want those things and will fight to get them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nobody can still believe this. It's been over four years. His MO is talking a progressive game while actively sabotaging any real progress behind the scenes and continuing all of Bush's policies.

Notice how much havoc the Republicans can wreak the second they get into office? That's because they actually want those things and will fight to get them.

Yeah I could buy that for the first four years but he's showing no indication of interest in progressive economic policy in his second term so I'm not sure where the faith comes from. If you really want something you fight for it as the Republicans have shown. Just look at how fast they ram poo poo through when they win a state house even in the face of what the citizens clearly want (as in the case of Michigan). I understand that the GOP has the house and Reid hosed up the filibuster rules but if his answer to that is to propose watered down Republican ideas and give well meaning speeches he's basically useless.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The bully pulpit is bullshit and counterproductive. Obama is so polarizing any thing he pushes for is immediately opposed by forty Senators and the majority if the House.

He campaigned ruthlessly to pass a lovely compromise bill supported by 90 percent of the public and it couldn't even get out of the Senate. It probably wouldn't have even been up for a vote for th House.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Tibeerius posted:

Their "star witness" could only muster mild outrage over an F-16 not being magically scrambled to buzz the consulate (seriously, WTF would that even do?!), and over the delayed deployment of an ill-equipped "Special Forces" team that could hope to do little more than secure the Benghazi airport.
Yeah, been hearing a lot about the ELITE SPECIAL FORCES that could have been flown in (four soldiers in Tripoli, who wouldn't have been able to do much in Benghazi, and couldn't possibly have been needed on duty in Tripoli in case additional attacks happened there).

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Interlude posted:

Then he should be drumming up that massive popular support. In 2009 he could have pushed for anything he wanted. He could have led the people against the banks. He could have ended the drug war. We were ready, but the fact of his fundamental cowardice slowly began to reveal itself.
Someone seems to have missed the Republicans blocking and threatening to filibuster everything from the get go.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/government-elections-politics/inside-obamas-presidency/the-republicans-plan-for-the-new-president/

quote:

On the night of Barack Obama’s inauguration, a group of top GOP luminaries quietly gathered in a Washington steakhouse to lick their wounds and ultimately create the outline of a plan for how to deal with the incoming administration.

“The room was filled. It was a who’s who of ranking members who had at one point been committee chairmen, or in the majority, who now wondered out loud whether they were in the permanent minority,” Frank Luntz, who organized the event, told FRONTLINE.

Among them were Senate power brokers Jim DeMint, Jon Kyl and Tom Coburn, and conservative congressmen Eric Cantor, Kevin McCarthy and Paul Ryan.

After three hours of strategizing, they decided they needed to fight Obama on everything. The new president had no idea what the Republicans were planning.

Remember that the first thing he did as President was try to get a stimulus bill passed. He went to the House Republicans with a proposal that already included a lot of things Republicans wanted, thinking that this was really important and maybe they could be bipartisan since stopping the recession was such a big loving deal, and they walked out without even looking at it. He couldn't have done any of the things you listed no matter how much he campaigned for them.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

Yeah, been hearing a lot about the ELITE SPECIAL FORCES that could have been flown in (four soldiers in Tripoli, who wouldn't have been able to do much in Benghazi, and couldn't possibly have been needed on duty in Tripoli in case additional attacks happened there).

They had some former top guy on Fox yesterday complaining that they didn't have some teams ready to go or be on high alert because it was 9/11 after all. Apparently for the rest of our lives we need to live in constant fear of that date. It's absurd.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Fun fact: the US military has quick reaction forces ready to deploy anywhere in the world within 24 hours with ammo and supplies pre-packaged on aircraft.

They were deployed but forces from the embassy in Tripoli had already evacuated the CIA annex before they arrived.

It takes time to get people places. Who knew?

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

jackofarcades posted:

The bully pulpit is bullshit and counterproductive. Obama is so polarizing any thing he pushes for is immediately opposed by forty Senators and the majority if the House.
If he's so polarizing, then it won't matter if he supports a centrist position or a progressive position. The wingnuts will oppose him anyway, just as they did when he put forward a healthcare plan drafted by the loving Heritage Foundation.

quote:

He campaigned ruthlessly to pass a lovely compromise bill supported by 90 percent of the public and it couldn't even get out of the Senate. It probably wouldn't have even been up for a vote for th House.
Yeah this is another issue - of all the things to harp on at the beginning of your second term, he throws his weight behind a 'lovely compromise bill' that wouldn't have prevented the tragedy being used to drum up its support? Christ, I'm not on the anti-gun bandwangon and even I was impressed to see our president actually taking a hard stance on an issue instead of throwing out corporate pardons and entitlement reform.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Call Me Charlie posted:

There might be a little factor you're missing, like control over both parts of Congress.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Taerkar posted:

There might be a little factor you're missing, like control over both parts of Congress.

There's a not easy to ignore number of blue dog democrats who all have their pet issues that they will go against their party for. Just look at how the recent gun show background check vote turned out. A nominal majority can't get you everything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

peak debt posted:

There's a not easy to ignore number of blue dog democrats who all have their pet issues that they will go against their party for. Just look at how the recent gun show background check vote turned out. A nominal majority can't get you everything.

At least when the House of Representatives went Republican, blue dogs suffered among the worst casualties of any bloc in the Democratic Party.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

Obama is perfectly capable of drumming up public support or public anger over issues. In 2012, he put together the "Julia" video and really hammered the Republicans over their War on Women poo poo. He was hitting them in speeches daily, naming names of crap Senators, bad legislation, and obstructive jerks. Making the Julia video and stuff like that aren't enumerated powers, they're part of the bully pulpit, and it is indeed a powerful thing that he knows how to use. He just won't do it unless his job is on the line.

Type "Obama press pool" into Google, and you will find 4 years of reporters from every news agency complaining that Obama routinely ignores the press corps that is assigned to report every word he says. He leaves them behind, doesn't allow them access to events, rarely answers questions, and basically deals with them as little as possible. It's a valuable tool he refuses to use, except in 2012 when he used them as an opportunity to get a leg-up on Republicans during the media cycle. He could spend every damned day talking about Gitmo or universal healthcare, but it's not a big deal to him.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Obama's doing about as good as we can expect any president to be doing for the foreseeable future. He's a corporatist shill and I doubt there are many people left that would deny it, but he's slightly less terrible than your average Republican on certain social issues, and until something drastic occurs to upset the current meritocracy, that's about the best we can hope for.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Nathilus posted:

No Presidential Administration is capable of making radical change by itself. That is by design. We aren't some top-down monarchy where if the president gets a stupid haircut, it becomes all the rage.

Didn't Kennedy kill hats for guys?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Which is why Saxton Hale had him killed.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

FCKGW posted:

The first thing I saw claimed he opposes same sex marriage and the second was a complaint about him supporting nuclear power. Bizarre.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

XyloJW posted:

Obama is perfectly capable of drumming up public support or public anger over issues. In 2012, he put together the "Julia" video and really hammered the Republicans over their War on Women poo poo. He was hitting them in speeches daily, naming names of crap Senators, bad legislation, and obstructive jerks. Making the Julia video and stuff like that aren't enumerated powers, they're part of the bully pulpit, and it is indeed a powerful thing that he knows how to use. He just won't do it unless his job is on the line.

Type "Obama press pool" into Google, and you will find 4 years of reporters from every news agency complaining that Obama routinely ignores the press corps that is assigned to report every word he says. He leaves them behind, doesn't allow them access to events, rarely answers questions, and basically deals with them as little as possible. It's a valuable tool he refuses to use, except in 2012 when he used them as an opportunity to get a leg-up on Republicans during the media cycle. He could spend every damned day talking about Gitmo or universal healthcare, but it's not a big deal to him.

Unfortunately public support and anger don't get bills through Congress.

Edit. Didn't mean for that to be terse. Basically he can raise public support for stuff but Republicans are fine being unpopular as long as Obama doesn't get anything done. Also Republican voters are less likely to support stuff if Obama is for it, meaning by public ally endorsing stuff he can make it harder to get things done.

peak debt posted:

Even though some Dems broke ranks, so did some Republicans. The bill did get a majority, but you need 60 votes to pass stuff In the Senate.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 10, 2013

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I hate to interrupt obama apologist hour but here's a long soldier-worshipping forward that is remarkable in how many words they wrote about absolutely nothing.

quote:

Letter from an airline pilot: He writes:

My lead flight attendant came to me and said, "We have an H.R. On this flight." (H.R. Stands for human remains.) "Are they military?" I asked.

'Yes', she said.

'Is there an escort?' I asked.

'Yes, I've already assigned him a seat'.

'Would you please tell him to come to the flight deck. You can board him early," I said..

A short while later, a young army sergeant entered the flight deck. He was the image of the perfectly dressed soldier. He introduced himself and I asked him about his soldier. The escorts of these fallen soldiers talk about them as if they are still alive and still with us.

'My soldier is on his way back to Virginia ,' he said. He proceeded to answer my questions, but offered no words.

I asked him if there was anything I could do for him and he said no. I told him that he had the toughest job in the military and that I appreciated the work that he does for the families of our fallen soldiers. The first officer and I got up out of our seats to shake his hand. He left the flight deck to find his seat.

We completed our pre-flight checks, pushed back and performed an uneventful departure. About 30 minutes into our flight I received a call from the lead flight attendant in the cabin. 'I just found out the family of the soldier we are carrying, is on board', she said. She then proceeded to tell me that the father, mother, wife and 2-year old daughter were escorting their son, husband, and father home. The family was upset because they were unable to see the container that the soldier was in before we left. We were on our way to a major hub at which the family was going to wait four hours for the connecting flight home to Virginia .

The father of the soldier told the flight attendant that knowing his son was below him in the cargo compartment and being unable to see him was too much for him and the family to bear. He had asked the flight attendant if there was anything that could be done to allow them to see him upon our arrival. The family wanted to be outside by the cargo door to watch the soldier being taken off the airplane. I could hear the desperation in the flight attendants voice when she asked me if there was anything I could do. 'I'm on it', I said. I told her that I would get back to her.

Airborne communication with my company normally occurs in the form of e-mail like messages. I decided to bypass this system and contact my flight dispatcher directly on a
Secondary radio. There is a radio operator in the operations control center who connects you to the telephone of the dispatcher. I was in direct contact with the dispatcher. I explained the situation I had on board with the family and what it was the family wanted. He said he understood and that he would get back to me.

Two hours went by and I had not heard from the dispatcher. We were going to get busy soon and I needed to know what to tell the family. I sent a text message asking for an update. I
Saved the return message from the dispatcher and the following is the text:

'Captain, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. There is policy on this now and I had to check on a few things. Upon your arrival a dedicated escort team will meet the aircraft.
The team will escort the family to the ramp and plane side. A van will be used to load the remains with a secondary van for the family. The family will be taken to their departure area and escorted into the terminal where the remains can be seen on the ramp. It is a private area for the family only. When the connecting aircraft arrives, the family will be escorted onto the ramp and plane side to watch the remains being loaded for the final leg home. Captain, most of us here in flight control are veterans.. Please pass our condolences on to the family. Thanks.'
I sent a message back telling flight control thanks for a good job. I printed out the message and gave it to the lead flight attendant to pass on to the father. The lead flight attendant was very thankful and told me, 'You have no idea how much this will mean to them.'

Things started getting busy for the descent, approach and landing. After landing, we cleared the runway and taxied to the ramp area. The ramp is huge with 15 gates on either side of the alleyway. It is always a busy area with aircraft maneuvering every which way to enter and exit. When we entered the ramp and checked in with the ramp controller, we were told
That all traffic was being held for us.

'There is a team in place to meet the aircraft', we were told. It looked like it was all coming together, then I realized that once we turned the seat belt sign off, everyone would stand up at once and delay the family from getting off the airplane. As we approached our gate, I asked the co-pilot to tell the ramp controller we were going to stop short of the gate to
make an announcement to the passengers. He did that and the ramp controller said, 'Take your time.'

I stopped the aircraft and set the parking brake. I pushed the public address button and said, 'Ladies and gentleman, this is your Captain speaking I have stopped short of our gate to make a special announcement. We have a passenger on board who deserves our honor and respect. His Name is Private XXXXXX, a soldier who recently lost his life. Private XXXXXX is under your feet in the cargo hold. Escorting him today is Army Sergeant XXXXXXX. Also, on board are his father, mother, wife, and daughter. Your entire flight crew is asking for all passengers to remain in their seats to allow the family to exit the aircraft first. Thank you.'

We continued the turn to the gate, came to a stop and started our shutdown procedures. A couple of minutes later I opened the cockpit door. I found the two forward flight attendants crying, something you just do not see. I was told that after we came to a stop, every passenger on the aircraft stayed in their seats, waiting for the family to exit the aircraft.

When the family got up and gathered their things, a passenger slowly started to clap his hands. Moments later more passengers joined in and soon the entire aircraft was
clapping. Words of 'God Bless You', I'm sorry, thank you, be proud, and other kind words were uttered to the family as they made their way down the aisle and out of the airplane.

They were escorted down to the ramp to finally be with their loved one.

Many of the passengers disembarking thanked me for the announcement I had made. They were just words, I told them, I could say them over and over again, but nothing I say will bring back that brave soldier.

I respectfully ask that all of you reflect on this event and the sacrifices that millions of our men and women have made to ensure our freedom and safety in these USA, Canada, Australia New Zealand, England.

Foot note:

I know everyone who has served their country who reads this will have tears in their eyes, including me.

Please send this on after a short prayer for our service men and women.

They die for me and mine and you and yours and deserve our honor and respect.

'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us..bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need.. In Jesus Name, Amen.'

Just send this to people in your address book. Do not let it stop with you. Of all the gifts you could give a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & others deployed in harm's way, prayer is the very best one.

GOD BLESS YOU!!! Bring the rest home safe and sound. We need to be there for them now more than ever.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
My aunt is a never-ending fountain of right-wing conspiracies. She's a real treasure, since she often makes up her own!

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

KillerJunglist posted:

Oh boy, this guy is back on my feed.

Sorry I'm like 5 pages late on this but I found this on Reddit that I like as a rebuttal to the :freep:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The Texas Democratic Party facebook page has posted a response to Cruz's lovely meme:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Oh god political parties are getting in meme wars.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I'd say we've hit rock bottom, but then of course they could have a live youtube debate on reddit or something.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The Republicans aren't the only ones who can make poorly done memes.

From the Iowa Democratic Party:

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
I actually do get a TON of left-wing memes and image macros in my feed from the polar opposite of the guy who posts the right-wing crap. Most of the left-wing ones are pretty bland and nowhere near as hateful so they are easy to ignore. I don't feel like going through his timeline, as I would have to wade through countless Dr. Who and Zombie memes, but there I do remember seeing a bunch of stupid ones.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Ho Chi Mint posted:

The Republicans aren't the only ones who can make poorly done memes.

From the Iowa Democratic Party:

I think all this proves is that Democrats are better at photoshop. Most conservative memes I see look like they were made with generators or in MS Paint.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

People have been dealing in short, easy to circulate and remember phrases since ages past.
Memes are just the next step of this.

See: 'Taft is fat' as an earlier political meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

short, easy to circulate and remember phrases

That is a meme. "Meme" is not limited to image macros, it is a self-perpetuating idea, the mental equivalent of a gene.