Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Working my way through this thread, and I have to say the idea of going to industry sounds distressing and depressing. Not that my experiences in an academic research lab have been fantastic.

I'm someone who took too long and messed up along the way to finding education/work, and finished with a Masters in a biology field in 2008. Pretty horrible timing. I'm on my 2nd lab tech position in academia, and I am stressed the hell out all the time due to worrying about whether the postdoc I work under will chew me out for little things that may or may not be my doing.

My goal is to work my way into a lab manager position, which I noticed is occupied mostly by women who have gotten their positions by dint of being there forever and knowing everything. Case in point, my lab manager is retiring next year and celebrated her 25th year at this institution. I would love her position, but I do not know if I am qualified for it. Also, I do not see her position up on the job site for the lab so I suspect they have someone already.

Does anyone have advice or experience in moving from tech to manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

squigadoo posted:

Working my way through this thread, and I have to say the idea of going to industry sounds distressing and depressing. Not that my experiences in an academic research lab have been fantastic.

I'm someone who took too long and messed up along the way to finding education/work, and finished with a Masters in a biology field in 2008. Pretty horrible timing. I'm on my 2nd lab tech position in academia, and I am stressed the hell out all the time due to worrying about whether the postdoc I work under will chew me out for little things that may or may not be my doing.

My goal is to work my way into a lab manager position, which I noticed is occupied mostly by women who have gotten their positions by dint of being there forever and knowing everything. Case in point, my lab manager is retiring next year and celebrated her 25th year at this institution. I would love her position, but I do not know if I am qualified for it. Also, I do not see her position up on the job site for the lab so I suspect they have someone already.

My observations are that lab managers handle more administrative tasks and things that make the lab run well and not typically technical skills. I would hire somebody as a lab manager who has shown they can handle a lot of responsibility and leadership. Any technical ability on top of that is just gravy.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

squigadoo posted:

What's so depressing about industry? That's kind of a really general blanket statement. It really depends on the place. I really like my industry job :) I guess quality can be pretty stressful sometimes.

When you say lab manager what type of work are you talking - what sort of lab? Micro? Quality, analytical, research etc?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

seacat posted:

What's so depressing about industry? That's kind of a really general blanket statement. It really depends on the place. I really like my industry job :) I guess quality can be pretty stressful sometimes.

When you say lab manager what type of work are you talking - what sort of lab? Micro? Quality, analytical, research etc?

I suppose reading the first 6 pages of people saying, dear god no science gets done, people are dangerous, we're more administrated than scienced, my co-workers are terribads, I can't buy black pens! was a bit shocking to me. Then again, I am not sure how different academia is from that, really. (ETA that dear god, I just hit the page on the researcher injecting herself and the poor male mice)

I'm looking to get into managing an academic research lab, preferably in molecular biology, that will allow me to do both admin work and bench work. My affection for science has lessened and at least I can track paperowrk. I saw an opening on my campus for a behavioral lab, and that is not what I want to participate in. I do mouse work now, and my previous position had me doing a huge amount of mouse colony maintenance, but I'd like to cut back so I don't smell like mice. At the very least, I don't want to work on anything bigger than a mouse. I had pets, yknow?

Ideally, I'd find a lab with a PI that is starting out so I can help build and learn from the ground up. I did see something like that in NYC if anyone is interested, but I need to stay in MA for the fiancee's schooling. There's time for me to look as while money in the lab is tighter than before, it's still decently funded.

I have experience in cell culture, generating knockdown cell lines (I have nothing to do with generating the hairpins though), cloning, IHC, all the basics. The biggest issue is seeing if I have enough admin experience.

My first lab had me as lab tech, supply stocker/order dude, and cat herder. If a postdoc was hogging reagents, making messes and not cleaning up, eating in lab, not emptying his vacuum flask, I was the one that told them to stop being a jerk. Also, forced them to keep track of their mouse colonies, etc. I've assisted with a bit of animal protocol writing, but not a lot, and I've tracked accounts for ordering purposes. Also, general maintenance: defrosted freezers, emptied failing freezers, tracked down maintenance, cleaned up after summer students (dear god, 1L of bacteria spilled on the floor), all that wonderful stuff.

Vladimir Putin posted:

My observations are that lab managers handle more administrative tasks and things that make the lab run well and not typically technical skills. I would hire somebody as a lab manager who has shown they can handle a lot of responsibility and leadership. Any technical ability on top of that is just gravy.

What kind of administrative tasks should I work on adding to my work experience to make myself look more attractive?

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 9, 2013

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

squigadoo posted:

I suppose reading the first 6 pages of people saying, dear god no science gets done, people are dangerous, we're more administrated than scienced, my co-workers are terribads, I can't buy black pens! was a bit shocking to me. Then again, I am not sure how different academia is from that, really.
Just FYI, I run an analytical lab in an industry setting and the pace at which our projects move is blazingly fast compared to academia. Both have their strengths, but I prefer industry.

Also, we're hiring! Right now we're looking for a polymer chemist with experience in emulsion polymerization. Position is in Thomasville, NC. Post here or send a resume to offwidthcrack at gee mail and I'll pass along your resume.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

seacat posted:

At least in my case, the depressing part is that no one wants to hire me :( I'm finishing up my Master's in chemistry right now and job-hunting, but I keep finding postings that require more industry experience than I could possibly have, or I keep getting turned down for not having enough industry experience (one recruiter called me to quite literally say "you meet all of our qualifications, except we're looking for someone with a little more industry experience"). I can't get industry experience until I get hired, but I can't get hired because I lack any sort of industry experience :psyduck: How do I break the cycle?

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005

C-Euro posted:

At least in my case, the depressing part is that no one wants to hire me :( I'm finishing up my Master's in chemistry right now and job-hunting, but I keep finding postings that require more industry experience than I could possibly have, or I keep getting turned down for not having enough industry experience (one recruiter called me to quite literally say "you meet all of our qualifications, except we're looking for someone with a little more industry experience"). I can't get industry experience until I get hired, but I can't get hired because I lack any sort of industry experience :psyduck: How do I break the cycle?

It really pisses me off that no companies appear to be willing to train anyone, ever, for anything. They just hope some other company will do the training and produce a trained employee they can then hire without having to put in that initial effort and investment.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sabaka posted:

It really pisses me off that no companies appear to be willing to train anyone, ever, for anything. They just hope some other company will do the training and produce a trained employee they can then hire without having to put in that initial effort and investment.

It's also a really bad time for industry right now. Thousands got laid off by the pharmaceutical industry and are trying to get absorbed back into the work force. Companies can pick and choose over tons of qualified candidates and not take a chance to take in an inexperienced hire. In other words, the labor pools are really messed up, heavily favouring the employer. If business was booming and unemployment was like 4%, companies would be inhaling inexperienced people and training them up because they have no choice.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

squigadoo posted:

I suppose reading the first 6 pages of people saying, dear god no science gets done, people are dangerous, we're more administrated than scienced, my co-workers are terribads, I can't buy black pens! was a bit shocking to me. Then again, I am not sure how different academia is from that, really. (ETA that dear god, I just hit the page on the researcher injecting herself and the poor male mice)

I'm looking to get into managing an academic research lab, preferably in molecular biology, that will allow me to do both admin work and bench work. My affection for science has lessened and at least I can track paperowrk. I saw an opening on my campus for a behavioral lab, and that is not what I want to participate in. I do mouse work now, and my previous position had me doing a huge amount of mouse colony maintenance, but I'd like to cut back so I don't smell like mice. At the very least, I don't want to work on anything bigger than a mouse. I had pets, yknow?

Ideally, I'd find a lab with a PI that is starting out so I can help build and learn from the ground up. I did see something like that in NYC if anyone is interested, but I need to stay in MA for the fiancee's schooling. There's time for me to look as while money in the lab is tighter than before, it's still decently funded.

I have experience in cell culture, generating knockdown cell lines (I have nothing to do with generating the hairpins though), cloning, IHC, all the basics. The biggest issue is seeing if I have enough admin experience.

My first lab had me as lab tech, supply stocker/order dude, and cat herder. If a postdoc was hogging reagents, making messes and not cleaning up, eating in lab, not emptying his vacuum flask, I was the one that told them to stop being a jerk. Also, forced them to keep track of their mouse colonies, etc. I've assisted with a bit of animal protocol writing, but not a lot, and I've tracked accounts for ordering purposes. Also, general maintenance: defrosted freezers, emptied failing freezers, tracked down maintenance, cleaned up after summer students (dear god, 1L of bacteria spilled on the floor), all that wonderful stuff.

What kind of administrative tasks should I work on adding to my work experience to make myself look more attractive?

Most of the lab managers I've seen do ordering, equipment repair and get unruly lab citizens in line. If you have experience doing that, it's about most of the job. Beyond that, if you are familiar with their techniques, then that's a bonus. I don't know what the job market is like for lab managers in academia right now though. A lot of people I've talked to are really nervous about the sequester chopping off 10% out of everyone's budget. If you are having trouble finding a position with your experience, that may be the cause.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Sabaka posted:

That's become the norm and is one of the major reasons that get cited when people study the decline of the science industry in America. It used to just be assumed that you hire somebody and spend anywhere between a month and a year training them because that's really the only way it can possibly work. You can't expect schools to be able to cover everything because there are hundreds of different specialties and very few students are going to decide what specific kind of science they want to do right in the middle of college or even graduate school. Having tons of specialized programs doesn't work either because it's way too expensive, either for a large college with multiple programs or multiple smaller schools. Pretty much the only way that makes any kind of sense is for the businesses to do it: they're already stable because of the money they make from doing the thing in the first place, they already have a lot of experienced talent who can teach what they know, and a worker is able to do other useful things while learning the ropes.

But, at some point in the past 30ish years businesses just stopped doing it. There were always unscrupulous companies that would just headhunt pre-trained people, but over time more companies started doing the same thing to remain competitive. There used to be something of a gentleman's agreement that everybody would train their new hires because the alternative is unstable and stagnates the industry. So of course that's what they chose to do. Nobody is training and the very concept of hiring someone to train them is somewhat alien. Combine that with the downed economy and you get the current status of having hoards of unemployed/underemployed baby boomers with varying degrees of experience, almost all of which are more effective hires than just about anybody young.

So now the drawbridges are up and everybody is hoarding. The talent and experience exists, but it's not being passed along. There's gonna be major problems when the boomers start dropping dead or finally retiring and these companies are forced to turn to the younger crowd, who are still largely inexperienced but now have nobody to teach them.

None of that matters though because the people making these decisions now will be dead or retired by then, so who gives a poo poo gently caress you got mine

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

So now the drawbridges are up and everybody is hoarding. The talent and experience exists, but it's not being passed along. There's gonna be major problems when the boomers start dropping dead or finally retiring and these companies are forced to turn to the younger crowd, who are still largely inexperienced but now have nobody to teach them.

It's not going to be a problem because most of the industry will be in China by then and it will be their issue.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Sabaka posted:

My old department only hired fresh grads, but had the alternate problem that if you didn't go to one of a dozen schools, we weren't interested. Doesn't matter that you have 3 internships at other pharmaceutical companies, your school is beneath us. In the case of phd's , you even had to be part of specific groups. Go to a top tier school, but study under the wrong professor? No job for you!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So what I'm seeing here is that I should take a nice, long hit off the CO cylinder that's tucked away underneath my fume hood. At least not every posting I've seen asked for X years experience, and one of the postings in that category did give me an on-site interview. But obviously that didn't work out.

Had I known I wouldn't be finishing grad school I might have just jumped into the workforce right after college, or at least done my years of grad school doing organic or analytical or something that employers actually want from you, rather than research that I enjoy :doh:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 9, 2013

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

Most of the lab managers I've seen do ordering, equipment repair and get unruly lab citizens in line. If you have experience doing that, it's about most of the job. Beyond that, if you are familiar with their techniques, then that's a bonus. I don't know what the job market is like for lab managers in academia right now though. A lot of people I've talked to are really nervous about the sequester chopping off 10% out of everyone's budget. If you are having trouble finding a position with your experience, that may be the cause.

Yes. Apparently, the PI of my lab is going to a financial meeting in 2 weeks to decide what to do. A lot of the mouse colonies got axed to cut costs, and I'm wondering if I am on the chopping block since I am the newest tech. One tech is leaving for grad school, one post doc got let go (but found another position already), and he just hired 2 new post docs. The conflicting messages worry me.

I'm cleaning up my resume and getting ready to punt it to the goon with resume editing skills, and keeping an eye out. Pretty sure I could get a temp position with my background in immunohistochemistry, at least.

Vladimir Putin posted:

It's not going to be a problem because most of the industry will be in China by then and it will be their issue.

On another note, there are some PIs that split their time between a lab in the USA and a lab in Asia. I was told that one PI maintained mouse colonies in China since it was cheaper and more lax on standards. Apparently, he monitors everything by webcams.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zenzirouj posted:

That's become the norm and is one of the major reasons that get cited when people study the decline of the science industry in America. It used to just be assumed that you hire somebody and spend anywhere between a month and a year training them because that's really the only way it can possibly work. You can't expect schools to be able to cover everything because there are hundreds of different specialties and very few students are going to decide what specific kind of science they want to do right in the middle of college or even graduate school. Having tons of specialized programs doesn't work either because it's way too expensive, either for a large college with multiple programs or multiple smaller schools. Pretty much the only way that makes any kind of sense is for the businesses to do it: they're already stable because of the money they make from doing the thing in the first place, they already have a lot of experienced talent who can teach what they know, and a worker is able to do other useful things while learning the ropes.

But, at some point in the past 30ish years businesses just stopped doing it. There were always unscrupulous companies that would just headhunt pre-trained people, but over time more companies started doing the same thing to remain competitive. There used to be something of a gentleman's agreement that everybody would train their new hires because the alternative is unstable and stagnates the industry. So of course that's what they chose to do. Nobody is training and the very concept of hiring someone to train them is somewhat alien. Combine that with the downed economy and you get the current status of having hoards of unemployed/underemployed baby boomers with varying degrees of experience, almost all of which are more effective hires than just about anybody young.

None of that matters though because the people making these decisions now will be dead or retired by then, so who gives a poo poo gently caress you got mine
"Trained" employees are often a bigger pain than "Untrained" employees, because you're relying on the competency of the person and organization that trained them.

Bitching about training tells me that you don't self-train. You're the guy who interrupts the productive worker to troubleshoot a problem instead of reading the manual or trying to figure it yourself. Don't be that guy.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I can't get industry experience until I get hired, but I can't get hired because I lack any sort of industry experience :psyduck: How do I break the cycle?
Go to smaller and smaller companies, try CROs. Get your 2-3 years experience and then jump to big pharma.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
My boss is contributing to the problem, we are looking for entry level people for a position, but they will not consider anyone with no experience due to not wanting to have to train someone. We have currently gone through hundreds of resumes and not found anyone because they are all either no experience or 20 years + PhD. Also, every intern or whatever we get has a perfect GPA from a top university like MIT or Stanford, tons of extra curricular stuff and undergraduate lab work. I pretty much just drank a lot and graduated with barely a 3.0. If I was born 4-5 years later to be graduating after the economy crash I would probably still be jobless.

Also, going back to the academia vs industry chat, I have only worked in industry, but everything I have heard from coworkers who spent a lot of time in academic labs and dealing with academic collaborators leads me to believe that they are incredibly sloppy. Stuff like contaminating whole labs with radioactivity, dosing mice IP instead of IV because it is easier etc.

Edit: For my first job out of college as just a guy with a BS and no useful connections or internships, I pretty much applied to every related job I could find, finally I found a job that was listed on craigslist out of all places. It was low paying, and it was at some terrible 12 person company, but it gave me enough experience to get out 5 months later and it has been smooth sailing since then.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 10, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pain of Mind posted:

My boss is contributing to the problem, we are looking for entry level people for a position, but they will not consider anyone with no experience due to not wanting to have to train someone. We have currently gone through hundreds of resumes and not found anyone because they are all either no experience or 20 years + PhD.

What do you do in that case- do you keep accepting applications until someone with the right experience comes along, or bite the bullet and take on someone untrained, or just not hire anyone at all?

E: What year did you graduate college, if I may ask?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 10, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Dik Hz posted:

"Trained" employees are often a bigger pain than "Untrained" employees, because you're relying on the competency of the person and organization that trained them.

Bitching about training tells me that you don't self-train. You're the guy who interrupts the productive worker to troubleshoot a problem instead of reading the manual or trying to figure it yourself. Don't be that guy.
I have no idea what kind of guy I'd be when getting trained because nobody will hire me for a position that requires training. I'm lucky enough to have landed a low level lab tech job that doesn't involve anything beyond extremely basic lab skills and is also a complete dead-end, which is the only reason I'm able to apply and be rejected by these "entry level" jobs in the first place.

Regardless, the way I would or would not approach this hypothetical job training environment doesn't change the fact that most companies aren't hiring untrained workers. I bitch about training because I would like to be skilled and useful but have few practical methods of accomplishing this goal.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

C-Euro posted:

What do you do in that case- do you keep accepting applications until someone with the right experience comes along, or bite the bullet and take on someone untrained, or just not hire anyone at all?

E: What year did you graduate college, if I may ask?

Pretty much. I was told we have a few that might not be terrible now, assuming they don't bomb the phone screen.

To be a little vague because I know I have former coworkers who post here, I graduated in 2004 +/- a year.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
I can totally hear what you guys are saying about jobs being hard to get. That's pretty prevalent in the whole post-meltdown US economy though, with some fields being worse than others, and isn't limited to lab/scientific jobs. Many professions like legal services are significantly worse. Can't imagine what it must be like for people with postgraduate degrees especially with all the hype you get fed in grad school about more school being better, etc. My boss told me our lab gets masters/PhD resumes whenever we put out a job posting and he never interviews them or hires them because there's just no need for the type of work we do; in terms of volume in terms of jobs there are many more labs like ours than top tier labs that require extreme qualifications.

FWIW, I struggled a lot after graduation too, and first got into manufacturing as a QC lab drone at a mediocre-to-lovely cosmetics company working through a lab-oriented temp placement agency. It took about 15 interviews with about 10 different companies over 6 months before getting an offer. The turnover rate there was very high, I duked it out for about a year and a half and then left for my current job which paid 40% more. I was getting recruited pretty significantly towards the end of that relatively brief stretch too and still am. So it generally does get better once you get your foot in the door. So I guess try finding the shittiest company in your geographic area and focus on them?

You may have to change your specialty too. In school I loved organic chemistry and synthesis but there just arn't any jobs in that unless you have a PhD and if you go down that route you're taking significant risks because there's like 1 REAL job for each 10 graduates... So I went into analytical/QC work and it's working out pretty well for me. Instrumental analysis was probably my top passion after synthesis in school though so I got lucky it's something mostly find interesting.

I think despite all the economic doom/gloom that is present in every sector of the economy (unless you are rich), the idea of being in the academic world is much more depressing to me just because the low pay. There are always the superstar scientists that make $300,000 a year with their PhD but many people I know with postgraduate degrees, including some PhDs, make less than I do (50K in a low cost-of-living area) after 1-5 years of school and opportunity cost :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pain of Mind posted:

Edit: For my first job out of college as just a guy with a BS and no useful connections or internships, I pretty much applied to every related job I could find, finally I found a job that was listed on craigslist out of all places. It was low paying, and it was at some terrible 12 person company, but it gave me enough experience to get out 5 months later and it has been smooth sailing since then.

Any advice on science job-hunting through Craigslist? I'm reaching the point where I've bled LinkedIn and a couple chem-specific job sites dry so I'm starting to pull listings from Craigslist. Are there things I should watch out for, or keep in mind when reading a given listing?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

C-Euro posted:

Any advice on science job-hunting through Craigslist? I'm reaching the point where I've bled LinkedIn and a couple chem-specific job sites dry so I'm starting to pull listings from Craigslist. Are there things I should watch out for, or keep in mind when reading a given listing?

I would watch out for labs that have a ton of repeated listings over the course of several months. Those are the sketchy as all gently caress labs with high turn over. On the other hand, it's a great way to get ~*~industry experience~*~ which then leads to a much better job. Just know what you're getting yourself into. If you've read the thread you know my horror stories, and there's another lab here that decided to leave a monkey in it's cage while the cage was being autoclaved. That lab in particular is *always* hiring.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Solkanar512 posted:

I would watch out for labs that have a ton of repeated listings over the course of several months. Those are the sketchy as all gently caress labs with high turn over. On the other hand, it's a great way to get ~*~industry experience~*~ which then leads to a much better job. Just know what you're getting yourself into. If you've read the thread you know my horror stories, and there's another lab here that decided to leave a monkey in it's cage while the cage was being autoclaved. That lab in particular is *always* hiring.

Well poo poo, I started skimming your post history after answering a couple ads and your former food lab employer was the first ad I responded to :v: Albeit not in the same part of the country as you. It was a part-time post though, so maybe that amount of exposure won't kill me.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

C-Euro posted:

Well poo poo, I started skimming your post history after answering a couple ads and your former food lab employer was the first ad I responded to :v: Albeit not in the same part of the country as you. It was a part-time post though, so maybe that amount of exposure won't kill me.

Never, ever, ever expect to see a matching set of pipettors. If you're lucky the calibration will survive the shipping. Maybe.

But hey they offer a ton of vacation. Because their scientists will often quit in a huff only to come back a week or two later "from vacation". It's pretty special.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I've been working in a lab at an ethanol plant for the past two months. It mostly involves yeast counts, solids, running samples through an HPLC and I'm learning how to run the IC also. Before, this place, I worked at another plant that also had a GC, but was only 'fill-in' lab. I worked in water treatment at that plant also, lab work mostly being titrations using a colorimeter. Also 5+ years in the ethanol industry.

What are some good resources for learning more about the HPLCs and the IC? I don't have a college degree (eventually will make that happen) and would really like to avoid just being the guy that managed to learn some things without truly understanding them.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

I heart bacon posted:

I've been working in a lab at an ethanol plant for the past two months. It mostly involves yeast counts, solids, running samples through an HPLC and I'm learning how to run the IC also. Before, this place, I worked at another plant that also had a GC, but was only 'fill-in' lab. I worked in water treatment at that plant also, lab work mostly being titrations using a colorimeter. Also 5+ years in the ethanol industry.

What are some good resources for learning more about the HPLCs and the IC? I don't have a college degree (eventually will make that happen) and would really like to avoid just being the guy that managed to learn some things without truly understanding them.
Never done IC but I've been working on/repairing HPLCs for about 5 years.

Do you have the USP at your lab? The Chromatography section is pretty dry but is a good intro. I forget what section it is, I think in the <600>s. It describes many of the parameters you'll be used to seeing (plate count, capacity factor, etc) how to calculate them and what they represent.

Find the manual for your LC and read it cover to cover. If it's been lost, like at most labs, you can generally request it from the manufacturer, sometimes you can get it without paying and sometimes you can't. Most of them come in PDF form these days. You won't use 90% of the info in there but I have always found some gems. So many people overlook reading the manual on every instrument. I have been the hero with a fix many times not by being some amazing super-chemist but just b/c I was the only one that read the manual.

When technicians come into your lab to qualify and repair instruments always chat them up as much as possible. In my experience they love to talk about their work and will throw you tons of useful information. You will rarely get the tech who is a dick but with some people skills if you seem genuinely interested they'll open to you with lots of handy tidbits. Stuff like how to fix a cavitation, change check valves, different ways of purging air, etc.

In addition to that, if your instrument malfunctions call up the field service rep for your area and briefly describe the problem you're having. Even if you don't have a service plan most of the time they'll be more than happy to help you with basic troubleshooting for a little while and guide you through steps helping you to understand your instrument. Of course they will eventually stop helping you for free and ask for a PO number :)

Phenomenex always has some good info if you can get in touch with a rep. They will always try to sell you stuff obviously. Play around with the pages at http://www.phenomenex.com/. You cant get that much for free but you can get some info. Restek also has a great technical library http://www.restek.com/Technical-Resources/Technical-Library most of which is free.

If you are interested in more analytical chemistry stuff you can always pick up a text at Half Price Books for like 20 bucks. Harris was the one I used. Not sure how much you would understand without the lead-up chemistry courses, though.

quote:

would really like to avoid just being the guy that managed to learn some things without truly understanding them.
:glomp:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Freedom! I know most of my posts in this thread have devolved into whiny crap, but hooray for a huge promotion / move to another company! :) I'm moving to a Pennsylvania subsidiary of a very large pharma/med conglomerate based out of NJ, into a principal scientist role. Hell loving yes. I get to have Christmas and summers again! (My current company just told us that there would be no vacation requests honored between June 26 - Aug 19 due to shutdown timelines, and the winter shutdown always conflicts with Christmas / New Years by design.)

The company I'm moving to is under consent decree, but said giant conglomerate is dumping tons of money into remediation, so for now it looks like they're trying to push through it. They're certainly offering enough $$$ for people to come work there right now that it seems like they want it to work out.

quote:

I'd hit friends, recent professors (for college students) or recent coworkers and network connections that you're on speaking terms with for inside openings before going to Craigslist, honestly. Personal opinion there, but I can't think of a time that a CL listing was anything but a scam for me.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sundae posted:

Freedom! I know most of my posts in this thread have devolved into whiny crap, but hooray for a huge promotion / move to another company! :) I'm moving to a Pennsylvania subsidiary of a very large pharma/med conglomerate based out of NJ, into a principal scientist role. Hell loving yes. I get to have Christmas and summers again! (My current company just told us that there would be no vacation requests honored between June 26 - Aug 19 due to shutdown timelines, and the winter shutdown always conflicts with Christmas / New Years by design.)

The company I'm moving to is under consent decree, but said giant conglomerate is dumping tons of money into remediation, so for now it looks like they're trying to push through it. They're certainly offering enough $$$ for people to come work there right now that it seems like they want it to work out.

I'd hit friends, recent professors (for college students) or recent coworkers and network connections that you're on speaking terms with for inside openings before going to Craigslist, honestly. Personal opinion there, but I can't think of a time that a CL listing was anything but a scam for me.

gently caress yeah, congrats Sundae!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

seacat posted:

Never done IC but I've been working on/repairing HPLCs for about 5 years.

Do you have the USP at your lab? The Chromatography section is pretty dry but is a good intro. I forget what section it is, I think in the <600>s. It describes many of the parameters you'll be used to seeing (plate count, capacity factor, etc) how to calculate them and what they represent.

Find the manual for your LC and read it cover to cover. If it's been lost, like at most labs, you can generally request it from the manufacturer, sometimes you can get it without paying and sometimes you can't. Most of them come in PDF form these days. You won't use 90% of the info in there but I have always found some gems. So many people overlook reading the manual on every instrument. I have been the hero with a fix many times not by being some amazing super-chemist but just b/c I was the only one that read the manual.

When technicians come into your lab to qualify and repair instruments always chat them up as much as possible. In my experience they love to talk about their work and will throw you tons of useful information. You will rarely get the tech who is a dick but with some people skills if you seem genuinely interested they'll open to you with lots of handy tidbits. Stuff like how to fix a cavitation, change check valves, different ways of purging air, etc.

In addition to that, if your instrument malfunctions call up the field service rep for your area and briefly describe the problem you're having. Even if you don't have a service plan most of the time they'll be more than happy to help you with basic troubleshooting for a little while and guide you through steps helping you to understand your instrument. Of course they will eventually stop helping you for free and ask for a PO number :)

Phenomenex always has some good info if you can get in touch with a rep. They will always try to sell you stuff obviously. Play around with the pages at http://www.phenomenex.com/. You cant get that much for free but you can get some info. Restek also has a great technical library http://www.restek.com/Technical-Resources/Technical-Library most of which is free.

If you are interested in more analytical chemistry stuff you can always pick up a text at Half Price Books for like 20 bucks. Harris was the one I used. Not sure how much you would understand without the lead-up chemistry courses, though.

There's some manuals around the lab I can dig into. Both the HPLCs are Waters.

Thanks for the tip on half price books. I spotted a couple to order. Any other recommended reading?

seacat posted:

:glomp:

:) I've worked with people before that were that guy, including a supervisor that would improve his position on an a topic by talking louder. OSHA probably could have labeled him as 'ear protection required'. It's hard to work around people like that and not call out the bullshit.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Sundae posted:

Where at in PA? I'm assuming Philadelphia area and possibly Collegeville? All the big guys have campuses up that way. If that is where you're bound and you have any questions about the area let me know, I live in the area and know some people who work at Glaxo and your old employer.

Edit: Oh based on my reread you might be in West Chester, which is a very nice place.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 27, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

C-Euro posted:

Hey, did you get the job there by chance? I'm really curious what you think if you're at all comfortable discussing the issue.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey, did you get the job there by chance? I'm really curious what you think if you're at all comfortable discussing the issue.

Swing and a miss, (un?)fortunately. Still unemployed though I've only moved out of grad school less than a week ago so I guess that's too soon for people to get back to me? How long is the process from posting a job to hiring someone for lab work? Probably a week to collect apps, a week to filter them and set up interviews, and then a week to interview and make a final decision?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

C-Euro posted:

Swing and a miss, (un?)fortunately. Still unemployed though I've only moved out of grad school less than a week ago so I guess that's too soon for people to get back to me? How long is the process from posting a job to hiring someone for lab work? Probably a week to collect apps, a week to filter them and set up interviews, and then a week to interview and make a final decision?

Sounds like the schedule for a churn and burn type of outfit, the better places always seemed like they took much longer (to say, "No, not you").

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I've waited more than 6 months from application to interview before.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Appachai posted:

I've waited more than 6 months from application to interview before.

I was just hired after a very long process as well. I don't know when they received my resume (sent by my advisor at some point to a manager of the company that passed it to the one who hired me), but from first contact to offer, it took the company 11 weeks.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

I had an interview back in the end of January. (This was the second interview, after a phone interview a few weeks prior. Also, environmental position, not lab) The interview went well, or I thought it did. I was there for over 8 hours visiting both locations and meeting a few staff members and thorough tours of both plants. I haven't heard anything yet, although it's a pretty obvious no. E-mailed the guy? No response. Called twice and left a voicemail on one call? Still no response. I'm not upset, since the new lab job is pretty awesome, but still. What the hell?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I heart bacon posted:

I had an interview back in the end of January. (This was the second interview, after a phone interview a few weeks prior. Also, environmental position, not lab) The interview went well, or I thought it did. I was there for over 8 hours visiting both locations and meeting a few staff members and thorough tours of both plants. I haven't heard anything yet, although it's a pretty obvious no. E-mailed the guy? No response. Called twice and left a voicemail on one call? Still no response. I'm not upset, since the new lab job is pretty awesome, but still. What the hell?

Yeah, there was a QC/QA position at Formula Corp in Auburn, WA where I had two very long interviews up to the CEO/Owner of the company, and they couldn't even be bothered to give me a loving call. I'm sorry, but if you make it to the interview stage (especially a second interview), you deserve a call saying, "no thanks" for your troubles.

Oh well, my current job came through with an offer for twice as much at the same time, so it's not like it was a big deal. But man, loving rude.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm not a hiring manager but I've seen he process. Typically people are just too busy to notify anybody. Having to interview people just takes up a lot of time and really isn't most peoples' main jobs. I think it's normal not to call if you don't get the job. The people who do make contact to tell you they are not hiring you are the ones that are super nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
3-6 months to get hired? gently caress.

E: Honestly churn-and-burn would be fine with me right now. I'm living with my girlfriend and we'll probably move once she finishes her PhD in a year or so, I just need that first year of industry experience so that it's easier for me to find work once we do settle down somewhere.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 21, 2013