Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
To be clear, I'm talking about the internal Win32_ComputerSystemProduct UUID, not the UUID of the VM.

hackedaccount posted:

A couple questions come to mind that might help people answer your question:

- How exactly did you migrate it? Some type of live migration, shut down and copy files, etc?
- That's weird that the software is tied to a UUID. Is the vendor SURE it's not tied to something else? I mean, if it's tied to the UUID how would the software function in a non-Xen environment or on bare metal?

It's a hosting provider, so I can't say exactly what happened to make it change. They had some major downtime a week or so ago, but the UUID change resulted in a shopping cart process breaking due to some "unknown specific key" error.

Can someone with Xen try migrating a VM and just "(get-wmiobject win32_computersystemproduct).uuid" from powershell before and after? I can't believe it'd change, but who knows.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

Can someone with Xen try migrating a VM and just "(get-wmiobject win32_computersystemproduct).uuid" from powershell before and after? I can't believe it'd change, but who knows.

Once again, running XenServer not straight Xen, but just checked before and after a XenMotion and nothing changed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If they had extended downtime I would guess they moved it to a new pool or had some issues that required recreating or resetting VM objects. I meant to see if the XenServer VM UUID matched the value from the WMI info, but I didn't have time to test today and gently caress logging back into work.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

If they had extended downtime I would guess they moved it to a new pool or had some issues that required recreating or resetting VM objects. I meant to see if the XenServer VM UUID matched the value from the WMI info, but I didn't have time to test today and gently caress logging back into work.

Since I am still in the office I just checked this. Windows uuid is different from the vm uuid.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
If you have a VMware 5.1 environment and you need to move the IPs for the vCenter Server installation and the host management IPs is there an easy enough way to do it? In the past I have just recreated the vCenter but I am hoping there is an easier way.

EDIT:

Also is it normal behavior for it to take forever for a vSphere Client console window to change from black to the desktop? I think it takes 2+ minutes sometimes.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 4, 2013

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

demonachizer posted:

Also is it normal behavior for it to take forever for a vSphere Client console window to change from black to the desktop? I think it takes 2+ minutes sometimes.

I've been seeing this a lot in 5.1 too. It's probably a bug since our 5.0 cluster doesn't do that.

Fake Edit: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2037408

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 4, 2013

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So the vcenter/sphere 5.0 -> 5.1 migration is a pain? Sigh. I have to do that soon. At least it's a small environment

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is there anything that would make Hyper-V VMs spike up to 100% CPU, but the physical machine never registers a blip? A few times a day I'm seeing VMs on one box jump to 100%, while the CPU on the box stays around 10%. It's happening to every VM on a particular box, but not to any on other boxes, best I can tell.

I'm just having the worst luck with Hyper-V. Half of our environments are Hyper-V, half are vSphere, and the VMware half Just Work. I read things, I do things, and everything is gravy - this is why I basically never post VMware stuff in here, I just learn, then do it. But Hyper-V is out to kill me.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

demonachizer posted:

If you have a VMware 5.1 environment and you need to move the IPs for the vCenter Server installation and the host management IPs is there an easy enough way to do it? In the past I have just recreated the vCenter but I am hoping there is an easier way.

Yeah use DNS to contact vCenter/hosts. Not trying to be an rear end, but is it really bad if your vCenter is contactable for a little bit? HA will still work, VM's will still run, vDS networks will still work. Only major thing you lose is DRS.

Alctel posted:

So the vcenter/sphere 5.0 -> 5.1 migration is a pain? Sigh. I have to do that soon. At least it's a small environment

It's not really a pain, at least to me it isn't, it's just not next next next as previous vCenter installs were.

What is a pain;
Replacing the Certs with CA certs on the vCenter in 5.1 is a bitch(and can hose your vcenter/sso/inventory setup), but the automated tool kit is nice for that.
Multi-site SSO(you HAVE to do this at first site setup)

If you have a small environment 5hosts/50powered on VM's, you can use the vCenter server appliance, which is just SSO/Inventory Service is more of a java wrapper than the windows install is. However it is very simple to deploy.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 4, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there anything that would make Hyper-V VMs spike up to 100% CPU, but the physical machine never registers a blip? A few times a day I'm seeing VMs on one box jump to 100%, while the CPU on the box stays around 10%. It's happening to every VM on a particular box, but not to any on other boxes, best I can tell.

I'm just having the worst luck with Hyper-V. Half of our environments are Hyper-V, half are vSphere, and the VMware half Just Work. I read things, I do things, and everything is gravy - this is why I basically never post VMware stuff in here, I just learn, then do it. But Hyper-V is out to kill me.
If Hyper-V is anything like VMware, your in-guest CPU performance counters are worthlessly inaccurate - your VM is only counting cycles for the time it's actually scheduled on the hypervisor, so it's completely typical for CPU to be overreported.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone got some good resources on vCloud director? I know a little bit of it but not really indepth. The teachers of the ICM class at my CC asked me to see if I could intergrate my lab environment to vCloud and have it as a provision on demand, destroy after X time. I think it would be great for online offerings, but so far I haven't heard any confirmation on online offerings of ICM/VCAP

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Corvettefisher posted:

Anyone got some good resources on vCloud director?

TrainSignal's vCloud course will be out in a week or two.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Has anyone done vSphere 5.1 update 1 yet? I still have flashbacks and cold sweats thinking about 5.0 -> 5.1, but I'm hoping this update is more straight-forward.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Check with you var essentials probably not, essentials plus would probably be cheaper via a reseller or partner.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 9, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Erwin posted:

Has anyone done vSphere 5.1 update 1 yet? I still have flashbacks and cold sweats thinking about 5.0 -> 5.1, but I'm hoping this update is more straight-forward.

Hopefully it adds a new more obnoxious credentials management system.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Quick question.. and probably stupid but in my defense I'm not an admin. We have some VMs running Oracle that we need to update vmtools on. Would it be necessary to shutdown oracle prior to doing this? From my understanding this update doesn't require a reboot.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Windows or Linux guests?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Erwin posted:

The goon app was really loving up on my phone but yes, the update is very painless and very straight forward.
Benefits I saw
>halved my ram usage, I am also running the full java 7u17 install
>Startup time of SSO/Inventory/vCenter has been reduced greatly
>the vSphere client no longer seems sluggish to pull data
>Many graph errors are fixed
>random bugs and hiccups that required a vcenter restart are gone

Only bug that people are reporting is http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/2013/04/alert-login-issue-after-updating-to-vcenter-5-1-update-1.html

Here is the update method, it is really simple. THIS DOES NOT MEAN USE SIMPLE INSTALL, what a bugged piece of crap that makes the environment..

GanjamonII posted:

Quick question.. and probably stupid but in my defense I'm not an admin. We have some VMs running Oracle that we need to update vmtools on. Would it be necessary to shutdown oracle prior to doing this? From my understanding this update doesn't require a reboot.

If you are running ESX 5.1, you are correct, earlier versions of ESX do recommend or require a reboot after tools is installed.

If you are on Linux tools generally just needs an X session restarted, Windows requires a reboot. This only applies to pre-5.1

demonachizer posted:

Hopefully it adds a new more obnoxious credentials management system.
No just breaks the current one a bit...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 8, 2013

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Windows or Linux guests?

Both

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Did my 5.1u1 updates today. Two vcenters and 40 or so hosts. No issues! First time in over a year that a vcenter patch hasn't forced me to do a full roll back at least once. I did get a bit of a panic on when the center update hung on "waiting for services to start" for over half an hour. It did eventually start.

Does anyone have a VMware TAM? For the 5k/mo it costs I'm just not seeing a value. They claim 90% of they customers are very happy. I just don't get what they see. Do I just have the wrong tam? Asking them to do the wrong things? What deliverables do you get that you love?

parid fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 8, 2013

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Corvettefisher posted:

The goon app was really loving up on my phone but yes, the update is very painless and very straight forward.
Hah, and here I thought you were just empty-quoting me having had cold sweats yourself.

This is the most exciting to me:

quote:

>the vSphere client no longer seems sluggish to pull data
>Many graph errors are fixed
Guess I'll go for it. That bug doesn't pertain to me, I don't think.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
What is the software license(s) to get these days for a small VMWare environment (2 hosts). We got Essentials (not Plus) last year over my objections of it not having vMotion. Now I'm preparing a budget proposal and it seems like VMWare changed all the product names. Should I still be looking at just Essentials Plus? Can I get it cheaper through some kind of upgrade deal?

I only came here looking for license help and then saw all the talk about upgrades and got that sinking feeling. I've been neglecting my environment and I'm gonna have to get back up to speed again. :smith:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Cpt.Wacky posted:

What is the software license(s) to get these days for a small VMWare environment (2 hosts). We got Essentials (not Plus) last year over my objections of it not having vMotion. Now I'm preparing a budget proposal and it seems like VMWare changed all the product names. Should I still be looking at just Essentials Plus? Can I get it cheaper through some kind of upgrade deal?

I only came here looking for license help and then saw all the talk about upgrades and got that sinking feeling. I've been neglecting my environment and I'm gonna have to get back up to speed again. :smith:

Essentials plus is really good if you have 3 hosts and don't plan to go over that. 5.1 update 1 did away with the 192GB limit, which means you can now scale 3 hosts, 2 Sockets and >64GB per host. However Essentials and Essentials Plus do not have upgrade paths.

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/pricing.html
MSRP the Essentials+(3host/2CPUperhost) will run you around 6k
http://store.vmware.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=vmware&id=ProductDetailsPage&productID=266980300
MSRP Standard(6 sockets) With Ops Manager will run about 11k

Essentials/plus are not upgradable, you just buy another kit. If you go with standard there are upgrade paths.

Compare the editions and features find out what you need. If you can spend the extra 5k I would jump on standard for the Storage vMotion, flexibility, and upgradability.

Also keep in mind if you have an active SnS you can still get all the cool updates. Call your VAR see what you can do, if it is time for a HW refresh sometimes you can get some slick deals with VMware.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks. Numbers like $5k give my boss panic attacks but I'll try again this time. Just gonna ask my rep for quotes on both options and see what happens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Numbers like $5k give my boss panic attacks but
Move on. I am not joking.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Thanks. Numbers like $5k give my boss panic attacks but I'll try again this time. Just gonna ask my rep for quotes on both options and see what happens.

How much is your environment worth? Ballpark it. Is 5K really that much now?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Move on. I am not joking.

Wasn't directed at me, but since the same thing has come up for me in this thread, that's part of why I have an interview tomorrow ;) I'm getting too old to play MacGyver Sysadmin and cobble awful free solutions together instead of spending $5k to do our core infrastructure right.

Ironically the new place is considering moving to a free KVM on OpenStack solution, but they're actually at a scale where the license and support savings are significant instead of amounting to a month of one employee's salary.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

How much is your environment worth? Ballpark it. Is 5K really that much now?

Yeah, I know. Logic like that just bounces right off of him, like he can simply will the solution to cost less. I'm spending my time getting my financial situation in order while I have a steady paying job, and then I'll be looking for other work.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cpt.Wacky posted:

The right person to talk to about this is your VMware rep. If you don't have one, I can toss you a few names that have been good to me over the years.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Thanks. Numbers like $5k give my boss panic attacks

In all fairness, if you work for a VERY small shop, $5K could be a big investment. (My last job was at a company with 10 people, under $1M annual revenue, and I was the only sysadmin, so I can relate.)

Yes, VMware upgrades were a bitch with having to manually down guests, move them around, and so on, which meant the VMware hosts only got upgraded about once every eighteen months, but it's at least vaguely possible.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
For those of you updating to 5.1 U1, here's an update sequence KB article that could save you some trouble: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2037630.
And there does appear to be a known issue documented with regards to waiting up to an hour for the vCenter sevices to start during the update process. Just let it be and do something else; it'll come around.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

In all fairness, if you work for a VERY small shop, $5K could be a big investment. (My last job was at a company with 10 people, under $1M annual revenue, and I was the only sysadmin, so I can relate.)

Yes, VMware upgrades were a bitch with having to manually down guests, move them around, and so on, which meant the VMware hosts only got upgraded about once every eighteen months, but it's at least vaguely possible.

We aren't that small and there's really no excuse for nickel and diming the infrastructure except that we're a non-profit and anything more than $5k has to be approved by the board.

Thanks for the input on the licensing and the unsolicited career advice. I'm going to put off upgrading from 5.0 until we upgrade our storage from RAID 5 SATA drives and have working backups of all the VMs, not just the most important ones. :toot:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

On the subject of vmware licensing, we're going to buy esssentials. Is there any advantage of going with a reseller for this small a purchase or should I just get it from the vmware store?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It is cheaper on our dell premier account than on the vmware store, but I don't think I'd bother with a reseller to save $50-100 unless you can do it all online with someone you already have an account with.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

On the other hand, it may be helpful to build name recognition with someone who might get you a good deal on a real license somewhere down the line. I think it took us less than 6 months to go from Essentials to Enterprise when we were buying a few years back.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jre posted:

On the subject of vmware licensing, we're going to buy esssentials. Is there any advantage of going with a reseller for this small a purchase or should I just get it from the vmware store?

Essentials? Not really. Essentials plus. Yes you'll see a discount.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Cpt.Wacky posted:

We aren't that small and there's really no excuse for nickel and diming the infrastructure except that we're a non-profit and anything more than $5k has to be approved by the board.

Thanks for the input on the licensing and the unsolicited career advice. I'm going to put off upgrading from 5.0 until we upgrade our storage from RAID 5 SATA drives and have working backups of all the VMs, not just the most important ones. :toot:

If you're a qualifying non profit (501 c(3), d-f, or k) you should be able to get around a 40-50% discount through a partner e.g. http://www.ccbnonprofits.com/ssproduct.asp?pf_id=2000000085

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Any Charolette VMware people in here?
http://www.vmug.com/p/cm/ld/fid=866
VMug June 6th I am more than likely going to, if anyone is going PM me we can meet up have some brews or something.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright I need training material for the VCAP-DCD to pass at VMworld so I don't have to buy 10000101 bunch of shots and dinner.

Push me too the limit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Corvettefisher posted:

Alright I need training material for the VCAP-DCD to pass at VMworld so I don't have to buy 10000101 bunch of shots and dinner.

Push me too the limit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwASii2f5c8

This might be helpful