Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

soapgish posted:

Yeah, there is a vast inconsistency with Awful Browser re: Youtube links. And the links in profiles have no option, where I would prefer Awful Browser to handle all in-app links. If not possible, I will second a direct to the Yt app.

Which inconsistency are you referring to? I'm aware of several but I'm not sure which one's grinding your gears.

Good point about profile links, I'll add that to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Which inconsistency are you referring to? I'm aware of several but I'm not sure which one's grinding your gears.

Good point about profile links, I'll add that to the list.

Oh, my cogs are running smoothly, to be clear, but I was saying that it's essentially a crap shoot with Youtube links when tapping, them mostly opening in Safari but occasionally getting handled by Awful. I mean, a lot of times I just want to see what the video is without watching, and constantly being taken out of the app can be tedious in a number of threads.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

soapgish posted:

Oh, my cogs are running smoothly, to be clear, but I was saying that it's essentially a crap shoot with Youtube links when tapping, them mostly opening in Safari but occasionally getting handled by Awful. I mean, a lot of times I just want to see what the video is without watching, and constantly being taken out of the app can be tedious in a number of threads.

Next time you get a chance, can you link me to a post whose YouTube link opens in Safari? That sounds like a bug.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Next time you get a chance, can you link me to a post whose YouTube link opens in Safari? That sounds like a bug.

OP in GBS' Yt thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489319&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post404423993

All of those open in Safari for me. It's probably about 5% of the time, or less, that Awful handles the links.

My details: iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1, Awful 1.11.1

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The load image is great, though!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Working great for me

The new action popup thingy is glorious!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

soapgish posted:

1.11.2 crashes everytime I try to open a thread. Delete and reinstall did not fix.

I see it! Sorry about that, I'll fix it for the next version.

edit: Do you want to help out testing? I don't think I have any iOS 5 testers currently. Drop me a PM or email pokeyman@nolanw.ca if you're in.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 8, 2013

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

soapgish posted:

1.11.2 crashes everytime I try to open a thread. Delete and reinstall did not fix.

Chiming in. I'm experiencing the same issues as well.

Awful 1.11.2 with iOS 5.1.1

I can't live without Awful at work. What will my commutes become?!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Your changeling notes are always hilarious. No issues so far, nice and responsive when opening/reading threads. Awesome!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

There's a nasty crash in iOS 5; if that's you, your poo poo's broken until the next version. Very sorry. Maybe having someone actually run the betas on iOS 5 will help us catch such glaring errors before release!

edit: I was going to snark it up about y'all using a two-year-old operating system, but the anniversary's next month, so snark withheld!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

edit: I was going to snark it up about y'all using a two-year-old operating system, but the anniversary's next month, so snark withheld!

You're such a nice guy :3:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Now that Google has released the iOS 'open in Chrome' code, could you look at amending the "copy post URL" options to include an 'open in Chrome' command? I only browse the forums through the browser for mod stuff, and a direct link would make things really easy - instead of copying the URL, switching to Chrome, pasting in the link, etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aatrek posted:

Now that Google has released the iOS 'open in Chrome' code, could you look at amending the "copy post URL" options to include an 'open in Chrome' command? I only browse the forums through the browser for mod stuff, and a direct link would make things really easy - instead of copying the URL, switching to Chrome, pasting in the link, etc.

Tap and hold on a link to open in Chrome. Unless I misunderstand what you are looking for.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
I just updated to the version that came out. I can browse forums fine but when I try to load a thread it CTD's.

So far it's been 100% for 10 different threads all over the forums including this one. :iiam:

e: If it helps, when I load a thread on the app which I have never read before and it crashes, I can go back and still have the whole thread as unread.

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 8, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Phraggah posted:

I just updated to the version that came out. I can browse forums fine but when I try to load a thread it CTD's.

So far it's been 100% for 10 different threads all over the forums including this one. :iiam:

e: If it helps, when I load a thread on the app which I have never read before and it crashes, I can go back and still have the whole thread as unread.

Is this on a device that's running iOS 5?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I can't upload images in the new update and occasionally when I back out of a thread it will just suddenly show the bookmarks page, no transition.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Cheers for putting in my scroll to top feature request :3:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

withak posted:

Tap and hold on a link to open in Chrome. Unless I misunderstand what you are looking for.

In-line links are fine - long-pressing "copy post URL" in the *** submenu does nothing except copying the URL of the post. I'd like it to open up directly in Chrome.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, 5.1.1

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

pokeyman posted:

Same for me on 5.1.1. I thought "na, don't update it. Everything is fine as it is" but seeing that red 1 on the App Store pressured me into doing it.

I haven't followed this thread in while but the App has been developing very nicely!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
If I could jailbreak 6.1.3 I'd do so, until then a lot of us are stuck on 5.1.1 or whatever :/

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

xie posted:

If I could jailbreak 6.1.3 I'd do so, until then a lot of us are stuck on 5.1.1 or whatever :/

The incredibly short wait is more than worth it. Promise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

xie posted:

6.1 had a jailbreak, missed your chance. :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xie posted:

I don't mind supporting iOS 5, I just don't test it very often.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I don't mind supporting iOS 5, I just don't test it very often.

Well I for one am very thankful. I miss browsing an Internet Comedy Forum in public places on the go. Do you need help getting a fix out?

Also if you'd like I can help with future versions as I intend to stay on this version. Is there a way I could help you test future versions for 5.1?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Phraggah posted:

Well I for one am very thankful. I miss browsing an Internet Comedy Forum in public places on the go. Do you need help getting a fix out?

Also if you'd like I can help with future versions as I intend to stay on this version. Is there a way I could help you test future versions for 5.1?

Fix is ready, just testing the next version. If it goes well, I'll submit the next version tonight or tomorrow.

Mail me at pokeyman@nolanw.ca and I'll add you as a tester.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Speaking of scrolling to the top, any chance you could replace Scroll To End with Scroll To Top when you reach the bottom of the page?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

just a butt posted:

Speaking of scrolling to the top, any chance you could replace Scroll To End with Scroll To Top when you reach the bottom of the page?

Feature is already there, tap the status bar at the top of the screen. Every single iOS app does this too.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

This is a fantastic app, and I use it just as much as (if not more than) the Android version on my phone. I did find a small bug, though: selecting "filter by this user" to see just their posts in a given thread only displays one page of results, i.e. up to 40 posts, then shows End of Thread. I'm on an iPad2 running iOS 6.1.3.

[edit] wrong number

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 10, 2013

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

xzzy posted:

Feature is already there, tap the status bar at the top of the screen. Every single iOS app does this too.

Oh dang you were talking about the one with the time and carrier info. Learn something new every day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This app is awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iOS is a labyrinth of shortcuts, every few months someone blows my mind when another one gets posted in a thread.

Most recent one is the ability to slide the app icon on lock screen notifications to go directly to that app. This saves literally seconds of my life!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

xzzy posted:

iOS is a labyrinth of shortcuts, every few months someone blows my mind when another one gets posted in a thread.

Most recent one is the ability to slide the app icon on lock screen notifications to go directly to that app. This saves literally seconds of my life!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MiniFoo posted:

This is a fantastic app, and I use it just as much as (if not more than) the Android version on my phone. I did find a small bug, though: selecting "filter by this user" to see just their posts in a given thread only displays one page of results, i.e. up to 20 posts, then shows End of Thread. I'm on an iPad2 running iOS 6.1.3.

Which thread, and which post did you tap on to filter?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

We've reached an auspicious milestone.

The 400th "I'm just trying to open a thread" crash of Awful 1.11.2 on iOS 5.

Let's get to 1000!

(I'm still sorry.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't be a problem if Apple would support their hardware a bit longer. I say you place the blame directly on them.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

pokeyman posted:

Which thread, and which post did you tap on to filter?

I was about to reply with "any of them," but I just tried it with your post in this thread and it seemed to work fine... And then I realized that I had only tried it with my posts in any thread; for example, my thread in AI. The page indicator doesn't even say "Page 1 of 1" or anything, it's just blank.

[edit] Here's a screenshot. I think the bug only affects the logged-in user (which is me, in this case), but that's just a guess.

[edit2] Imgur link auto-parsing would be cool, too :sweatdrop:

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 9, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MiniFoo posted:

I was about to reply with "any of them," but I just tried it with your post in this thread and it seemed to work fine... And then I realized that I had only tried it with my posts in any thread; for example, my thread in AI. The page indicator doesn't even say "Page 1 of 1" or anything, it's just blank.

[edit] Here's a screenshot. I think the bug only affects the logged-in user (which is me, in this case), but that's just a guess.

I can't seem to trigger this. It works fine on my own posts, so it's not a blanket issue with the logged-in user. And it worked fine on your posts in the thread you linked. (Whoever suggested following a copied URL when switching to Awful: I use it constantly in the simulator. Good call.)

quote:

[edit2] Imgur link auto-parsing would be cool, too :sweatdrop:

In what way? Wrapping pasted imgur links in [img] tags?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
So I found a bug: When I tap on the ... Icon of a user's post the box that pops up (which looks really nice, by the way) only stays up for like a second or so before it disappears again.
iPad 4th gen, 6.1.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

I can't seem to trigger this. It works fine on my own posts, so it's not a blanket issue with the logged-in user. And it worked fine on your posts in the thread you linked. (Whoever suggested following a copied URL when switching to Awful: I use it constantly in the simulator. Good call.)

Edit: same issue here. Awful beta 1.11.3 #6

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 9, 2013

• Locked thread