Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ironsolid posted:

New fun encounter for the day. Death spawns as I'm running up to the door for Daimon. Death sleeps pawns. All pawns die. Not enough RC to repair the last riftstone. Reload last save.

Reloaded, Jump on Daimon's face and stabbed him over and over for 25 seconds. He died.
Yeah if you can do enough damage to make either Daimon forms stagger, the fight changes drastically. Honestly form 1 Daimon is a super cool boss and he has so many moves that keep escalating as the fight goes on. His move to hit you on his back is pretty great (it's the spinning jump move).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not everything is different, both have an emphasis on equip weight and stamina conservation. Also Bitterblack Isle especially has a lot of environmental stuff that is very similar, including the way things are hidden and stuff.
Yeah, Bitterblack is definitely way more Souls feeling both in terms of enemies crushing you and environment, but Dogma is still more of a fast paced action game than the slow, every button press means life or death style of Souls. I love both but someone going in expecting a game like Dark Souls is going to be surprised.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Surlaw posted:

It's a good game that's nothing like Dark Souls outside of some of its setting.

Agreed. It's a very good game but I think the potential of what is can be in a hopeful sequel is enormous. It feels like if they made a sequel, it can be that perfect balance between Dark Souls, Skyrim and Monster Hunter.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, on my first delving into Bitterblack Isle, I didn't get a huge amount of good stuff, but I did get the Elite Lantern. It seems pretty nifty, especially on future runs into Bitterblack where it is dark as poo poo.

Fun place though, it's nice to be scared of the game again.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

zarron posted:

Agreed. It's a very good game but I think the potential of what is can be in a hopeful sequel is enormous. It feels like if they made a sequel, it can be that perfect balance between Dark Souls, Skyrim and Monster Hunter.

Isn't Deep Down going to be a de facto sequel?

FWIW, I love the pawn system but it can't really compare to the best part of Dark Souls: invading a group of co-op players and wiping them out with nothing but skillful counters. Once I became a Darkwraith I pretty much stopped fighting monsters entirely.

Warm Inca Lips
Feb 17, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Well, on my first delving into Bitterblack Isle, I didn't get a huge amount of good stuff, but I did get the Elite Lantern. It seems pretty nifty, especially on future runs into Bitterblack where it is dark as poo poo.

Fun place though, it's nice to be scared of the game again.

Yeah, that's definitely been the best part of DA. Last night I got roughed up pretty bad by a swarm of dark pawns in the Fallen City and was like oh wait, this is exactly like it used to be when the bandits on the way to the Witchwood would beat my face in.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Where is Fornival in post game?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Danith posted:

Where is Fornival in post game?
Wait about 15 minutes after resting at the Gransys inn and he should wander down to market. I usually find him beside Montbank when I go looking.

You have to wait though. You might be able to use the assassin invis and get into his mansion though without waiting.

Alternatively, make him your love interest.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I think my BBI exploration has come to an end. Level 33 and I just cannot bring down the beholder. I can get to the 4 tentacles magic eye spell thing, and I just don't have the firepower to bring down the tentacles in time before they destroy me. And then he regens all his tentacles. :suicide:

Guess I'll play the main game some more and try to get some better equipment.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Did anyone else have an issue with the giant Beholder not spawning tentacles or the magic eye stuff when his hp got low?

I had to do the last 3 bars of that fight solo, 2-3 hits at a time, only able to hit him when he did the 'bite' attack where he lowers his eye. He wouldn't do anything else but the poison gas and so there was no way to get him into a vulnerable state.

It took like 20-30 minutes just for the last 3 bars.

Danith
May 20, 2006
ARACHNOTRON , I've been using your pawn and I think it's main issue is that the primary inclination is Guardian, which makes it stick close to the arisen and not do much.

Random Hajile, I've also been taking your pawn out for a little bit and gave her some extra stuff I had in my stash

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hate Banshees. Especially when you don't notice them because they're lying down and then they do the scream. It is fun throwing them all the way down a tower and splattering them though. I don't like those towers much either because Pawns keep falling down them and dying, but tossing baddies down them yourself is wonderful fun.

Mini-dragons are weird. The only real change in difficulty between them is how easy it is to hit the heart. Fire ones are only difficult because it's a bugger to get at their hearts. Lightning ones are easy because they like to fly in the air, and the heart is in a perfect position to climb on when you knock them down. Ice ones are just easy to hit all the time. You can usually get them with just arrows. Cursed ones are a little tricky because they're shaped weirdly.

Actually, I love the way Cursed Dragons spawn. One of the fat fucks landed right on top of one of my Pawns today, one-shot kill.

Oh, and I bought 999 of all the strange items the Black Cat sells. The brooms and suchlike. Cost like a million and a half gold. Finding out you could buy things straight to the storage caused havoc to my finances in this game.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Just picked up the game, it's great so far. I love the character creation options. My dude looks like Daniel Bryan (from wrestling) and his partner is Kane, so we're going to tag team everything. Now to just find him a mask.

My XBox ID is A TwyMar.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

McDragon posted:

Mini-dragons are weird. The only real change in difficulty between them is how easy it is to hit the heart. Fire ones are only difficult because it's a bugger to get at their hearts. Lightning ones are easy because they like to fly in the air, and the heart is in a perfect position to climb on when you knock them down. Ice ones are just easy to hit all the time. You can usually get them with just arrows. Cursed ones are a little tricky because they're shaped weirdly.
What class are you playing? For Drakes, Wyrms, and Cursed Dragons, I just shoot their hearts with their respective weakness as a Magick Archer. For drakes, I fire sixfold shot point blank and it destroys them. For Cursed Dragons and Wyrms, I just spam Explosive Shot at the hearts and trigger the explosions every now and then

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Did anyone else have an issue with the giant Beholder not spawning tentacles or the magic eye stuff when his hp got low?

I had to do the last 3 bars of that fight solo, 2-3 hits at a time, only able to hit him when he did the 'bite' attack where he lowers his eye. He wouldn't do anything else but the poison gas and so there was no way to get him into a vulnerable state.

It took like 20-30 minutes just for the last 3 bars.
Did you kill all of his tentacles whenever they tried to engage you? And did it regenerate the tentacles, allowing you to continue cutting away the tentacles? I don't think the big eyeball will do his mega charge up magic unless you're actively cutting away all of its tentacles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm just so much worse with the warrior class than any other. What am I even supposed to be doing against non-giant enemies, that makes the warrior class anywhere near as good as fighter or assassin?

All I really want is its level 9 strength augment but that means I have to actually...use that class.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I just bought Dark Arisen and opted to start a new game. Does this mean my old pawn gets deleted? What about if anyone was using them?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Killsion posted:

So I just bought Dark Arisen and opted to start a new game. Does this mean my old pawn gets deleted? What about if anyone was using them?
Your old pawn just gets replaced with your new pawn.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm just so much worse with the warrior class than any other. What am I even supposed to be doing against non-giant enemies, that makes the warrior class anywhere near as good as fighter or assassin?

All I really want is its level 9 strength augment but that means I have to actually...use that class.
Spamming the jumping light attack is a good option. You can also make use of some of the skills, like savage/indomitable lunge, the skyward slash thing, and some others.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I use Corona slash to trip then follow up with the quick overheard charge slash. You really need ferocity and eminence to make it worthwhile in my opinion. I went to BBI with nothing but attack boosting armors one time and I was both wrecking face and being wrecked which was fun and tense as hell.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just afk on top of the wall near the church in Gransys for like 2 hours and come back to maxed rank vocation for whatever and never look back.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Goddamn Daimon, you aren't even that difficult until all my pawns decide to go have simultaneous aneurysms and go hang it in your black hole thing. Maybe next time they'll have some self preservation.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Pommel Bash isn't too bad for stunning smaller enemies so you can smack them. As always, spamming jumping light is a solid idea in every situation. I like Escape Slash and if you hit with it, it turns into a three hit combo. Warrior is harder to play for sure, but it's satisfying to tear through enemies once you get the hang of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm not asking what to DO against small enemies, obviously I can fudge my way through it, but rather what the warrior has that is as good as the infinity things the other combat classes have to do gainst small, fast tough enemies.

Also, I am fighting the hydra right now with my pawn as a sorcerer, he is set to challenger/scather, and he isn't doing poo poo. He's just running around occasionally enchanting people's weapons, and destroying crates every once in a while. Why isn't he casting the big loving spells like Bolide and High Comestion and Gicel I have him equipped with?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I must be the only person in existence whose favorite class is Warrior. It's just such a shame that the game feels it needs to corner me into Assassin or another bow-wielding class, which really seem to be more powerful than Warrior.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not asking what to DO against small enemies, obviously I can fudge my way through it, but rather what the warrior has that is as good as the infinity things the other combat classes have to do gainst small, fast tough enemies.

It has the feeling of sheer badass that you get from planting enemies into the ground with your giant hunk of steel. No honestly I kind of agree that Warrior is the most gimped class against small things, but it's fun anyways soo.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

S-Alpha posted:

I must be the only person in existence whose favorite class is Warrior. It's just such a shame that the game feels it needs to corner me into Assassin or another bow-wielding class, which really seem to be more powerful than Warrior.

They should have had the empty L skillset let you do stuff like throw your weapon. Would have kept the flavor of the class and solved two of the major complaints right there.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Anyone using my pawn Kei on 360 note that I'm temporarily switching her to Strider to get augments. Debating whether to keep her on Warrior or try her on Ranger.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, I am fighting the hydra right now with my pawn as a sorcerer, he is set to challenger/scather, and he isn't doing poo poo. He's just running around occasionally enchanting people's weapons, and destroying crates every once in a while. Why isn't he casting the big loving spells like Bolide and High Comestion and Gicel I have him equipped with?
Challenger overrides scather. Try Scather/Challenger instead.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

Anyone using my pawn Kei on 360 note that I'm temporarily switching her to Strider to get augments. Debating whether to keep her on Warrior or try her on Ranger.
As long as you don't rest, it won't propagate any changes you've made to your pawn to the servers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

Challenger overrides scather. Try Scather/Challenger instead.
But why wouldn't challenger lead him to attack the hydra at full power?

edit:

Rascyc posted:

Just afk on top of the wall near the church in Gransys for like 2 hours and come back to maxed rank vocation for whatever and never look back.
What's all this then?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I've gone magick archer and I'm not sure which augments to go with. I've hit level 8 fighter, maxed out warrior, sorcerer, magick archer and also have 7 assassin. What would people recommend, based on the fact that I've been a physical class for the first 46 or so levels. Also, what skills are best for BBI? I've currently got Hundred kisses, grand scension and immolation for dagger skills and Six fold bolt, explosive rivet and ricochet bolt for the magick bow. Is perdition worth using as well for staff skills?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

From my experience, a lot of the problem is the fact sorcerers can't move around while casting those big spells. Pawns like to be a certain distance from their target while casting, so if the target if moving around too much, they'll never get to cast any spells. They'll constantly cancel spells, re-position themselves slightly, then start over. I've tried all kinds of different inclination combos but I can't seem to break my pawn of this particular habit.

And yeah, I've learned scather primary is a bad idea because that makes him want to climb everything, which inevitably results in his death.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

But why wouldn't challenger lead him to attack the hydra at full power?
I don't really have an answer that explains it adequately. In all of my experience though, a challenger/whatever will choose to run in a circle or something similar when all ranged enemies are gone.

[e]To answer your question: you can just take some pawns and afk on top of the church wall in the noble quarters. Your pawns will kill the infinitely spawning enemies which can't actually hit you on top of the wall. They give very small amounts of experience which means most of it will be converted to DP. It takes a bit of time but you can basically just let it go.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Nahxela posted:

What class are you playing? For Drakes, Wyrms, and Cursed Dragons, I just shoot their hearts with their respective weakness as a Magick Archer. For drakes, I fire sixfold shot point blank and it destroys them. For Cursed Dragons and Wyrms, I just spam Explosive Shot at the hearts and trigger the explosions every now and then

Assassin. I put a bit too much reliance on grabbing on and hitting the heart with Thousand Kisses, so the more wriggly ones are usually more tricky. Still, arrows do the job eventually. I was more commenting on the fact that it seems heart placement is the thing most different between fighting them.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit:
What's all this then?

After a post-game quest, infinite bad guys spawn there. They give poo poo experience, but that means more discipline I think? Also they have no ranged capabilities, so you should be safe up there. Maybe pack a couple of wakestones just in case you fall off.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Samurai Sanders posted:

My usual setup for Warrior is Exodus Slash, Act of Atonement, and either War Cry or the blade catapult thing. I don't like the long charge-up attacks. Damage be damned, warrior is already slow as hell.

Exodus Slash has a relatively fast initial strike which can stagger, and launches enemies with the follow-up strikes so it works great for groups of small creatures. Act of Atonement is also pretty fast for a warrior. The range is limited, so it works best with War Cry. Draw mobs to you with War Cry, then hit them all at once with Act of Atonement. You can fire it off quickly, or hold it to "charge" - damage taken lends power to the strike.

titties fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 9, 2013

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Nahxela posted:

Did you kill all of his tentacles whenever they tried to engage you? And did it regenerate the tentacles, allowing you to continue cutting away the tentacles? I don't think the big eyeball will do his mega charge up magic unless you're actively cutting away all of its tentacles.

Yeah, I killed the tentacles and he did the big eye thing twice. I got him to about 3 bars during the second vulnerability. After killing the tentacles a third time they stopped growing back, and he stopped doing anything but the poison gas and an occasional bite attack where I could get in a few hits a minute.

I mean, I was able to kill him eventually but goddamn was it a pain in the rear end.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Stand in the middle of 4-5 enemies and use exodus/corona slash non-stop until things are dead or you're no longer hitting them

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

McDragon posted:

Assassin. I put a bit too much reliance on grabbing on and hitting the heart with Thousand Kisses, so the more wriggly ones are usually more tricky. Still, arrows do the job eventually. I was more commenting on the fact that it seems heart placement is the thing most different between fighting them.
We're talking about the new dire family of dragons?

The differences to me is that the fire drakes hit like a loving destroyer of worlds with their physical attacks. They also give you the burning effect if you scale them, but that's pretty ignorable.

The frost wyverns are basically chain casting wizards. They're really frail but they can cast high tier Bolide spells and heals that are merciless. One of my hardest fights ever was a warrior in the double dragon arena where I drew two frost wyverns because they kept healing each other while dropping bolides.

Storm wyrms or whatever are just pathetic. They like to fly a lot and just die as you observed. They do seem to have the highest defense though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Wyverns are really only dangerous if you cripple their wings and stop them from flying, at which point they will start casting spells and using the usual physical attacks. If they do hit you with their breath attack while they're flying it will ragdoll you really high into the air and you'll take a lot of fall damage/fly off of a cliff. I've seen :downs: pawns killed by it before. However thanks to the fact that he loves flying it's really easy to trivialize the fights with archery since you just have to shoot him in the face to knock him down and get a bunch of free shots at the heart.

Danith
May 20, 2006

Danith posted:

ARACHNOTRON , I've been using your pawn and I think it's main issue is that the primary inclination is Guardian, which makes it stick close to the arisen and not do much.

Random Hajile, I've also been taking your pawn out for a little bit and gave her some extra stuff I had in my stash

I released your pawns and rested. Hopefully you both get your stuff (Magnanimous Cloak, forged gold idol and other random gear). I took them through a room of BB which ended up having a giant dog thing which took about an hour to kill because I was trying out mystic knight then we went and plundered the Everfall for awhile.

Also, my favorite class is the Warrior but as someone said above it feels like you pretty much have to be ranged with the latter things so got Mystic Archer filled out and drat it feels overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

McDragon posted:

After a post-game quest, infinite bad guys spawn there. They give poo poo experience, but that means more discipline I think? Also they have no ranged capabilities, so you should be safe up there. Maybe pack a couple of wakestones just in case you fall off.
Okay, I'll give that a try.

• Locked thread