Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Who the hell are you even responding to?

The fervor to which some people will defend this poo poo is crazy to me.

Uhh, calm down.

It's the Daft Punk thread and this is probably the most exciting news since the SNL snippet came out, I made it clear no one HAS to like anything on this album just because people are jerking the robots off, but lets wait until we can hear the actual song.

He wasn't even being harsh, it's really not a big deal AT ALL, I think you're misinterpreting text on the screen as something bigger then it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
He literally said "That beat is pretty awesome, kinda repetitive though. The part at the end had me really excited though!"

and then you responded with "Dude it's a lovely quality leak and you can hardly hear anything. Not really sure what you were expecting but whatever. You're entitled to your own opinion I guess."

Your post reeks of being super defensive and I can't even tell why. Absolutely nobody is even ragging on it at all.

Maybe I'm just having a really hard time reading the tone of your post.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

bonzaisushi posted:

Can we post a link to the leak here or is that a nono? Ive seen other people post leaks that were bullshit and it was allowed…

either way, i am willing to take the risk… IT sounds AMAZING!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRkhNdr7rkM

This album is going to be nuts.

Already taken down. :sigh:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He literally said "That beat is pretty awesome, kinda repetitive though. The part at the end had me really excited though!"

and then you responded with "Dude it's a lovely quality leak and you can hardly hear anything. Not really sure what you were expecting but whatever. You're entitled to your own opinion I guess."

Your post reeks of being super defensive and I can't even tell why. Absolutely nobody is even ragging on it at all.

Maybe I'm just having a really hard time reading the tone of your post.

You are. :-p My suggestion to wait for the final song to judge the repetitive nature of a beat you cant even hear most of the instruments on isn't a suggestion to stop having opinions because you don't like something DP related. (I don't want to derail the thread, so I'm going to stop here)

edit:

Here's another link since the other one got taken down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCsLK-PV9c

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Nick Biped posted:

Already taken down. :sigh:

Just in case it gets taken down again...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t199mazkh9uek4d/Giorgio.m4a

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

God drat that is loving magic.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Oh my god I can't wait for the album at all.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Man, I caused some drama. I love Daft Punk and I'm super excited for the album, I'm just trying to level my expectations just in case it ISN'T the greatest album ever made v:shobon:v

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://soundisstyle.com/2013/05/daft-punk-giorgio-by-moroder-leak.html has the leak too.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Annnnd it's gone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That leak sounds pretty loving interesting. It definitely sounds Daft Punkish, but it also sounds like it's going to blow my mind all over the place (which I guess is the same thing as Daft Punkish).

Also, in other news, I went to a Daft Punk tribute show tonight (at Republic, for any of you NOLA goons). It was two guys performing mostly Alive 2007 (there was no crowd noise in their mix though, so maybe they had an alternate version of it?), but also Get Lucky and I think I heard a couple of the Tron songs too. But what made it special is that these weren't just two dudes behind a laptop on a table. These guys had a full replica light-up pyramid, replica helmets, and later on after a costume change, replica LED costumes too. They went all out. I didn't get to see the Alive 2007 tour in person, but tonight I almost felt like I did.

Here's a video from the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr5EBSL2PEY

I had no idea this was even happening before about 6pm tonight. My girlfriend and I were headed to dinner and had the radio on in the car, on one of the local rap stations, and they were talking about it on there. But I hadn't seen it advertised on Facebook or seen any flyers for it or anything. So I have no clue if these guys are locals or if they're doing a national tour or what.

But it was a hell of a lot of fun and I'm really glad I happened to hear about it and ended up going.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

What was their name? Was it One More Time? They came near me, but I couldn't find anyone to go with - it also seemed from their promo materials (this was like, their first show since they changed their name from Daft Punk'd to One More Time and changed their stuff), that it was just Alive 2007.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SgtScruffy posted:

What was their name? Was it One More Time? They came near me, but I couldn't find anyone to go with - it also seemed from their promo materials (this was like, their first show since they changed their name from Daft Punk'd to One More Time and changed their stuff), that it was just Alive 2007.

Just Googled it, and yeah, apparently it was One More Time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Soundcloud link as well: https://soundcloud.com/clubbingshanghai/dp-giorgio-by-moroder-leak

Sounds good to me, I'm digging it!

excellentcoffee
Nov 1, 2007

Phantom

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That leak sounds pretty loving interesting. It definitely sounds Daft Punkish, but it also sounds like it's going to blow my mind all over the place (which I guess is the same thing as Daft Punkish).

Also, in other news, I went to a Daft Punk tribute show tonight (at Republic, for any of you NOLA goons). It was two guys performing mostly Alive 2007 (there was no crowd noise in their mix though, so maybe they had an alternate version of it?), but also Get Lucky and I think I heard a couple of the Tron songs too. But what made it special is that these weren't just two dudes behind a laptop on a table. These guys had a full replica light-up pyramid, replica helmets, and later on after a costume change, replica LED costumes too. They went all out. I didn't get to see the Alive 2007 tour in person, but tonight I almost felt like I did.

Here's a video from the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr5EBSL2PEY

I had no idea this was even happening before about 6pm tonight. My girlfriend and I were headed to dinner and had the radio on in the car, on one of the local rap stations, and they were talking about it on there. But I hadn't seen it advertised on Facebook or seen any flyers for it or anything. So I have no clue if these guys are locals or if they're doing a national tour or what.

But it was a hell of a lot of fun and I'm really glad I happened to hear about it and ended up going.

They came through Columbus and played at the Newport a short while ago. I was caught up in work, but my friend go to go, said it was fantastic.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008

excellentcoffee posted:

They came through Columbus and played at the Newport a short while ago. I was caught up in work, but my friend go to go, said it was fantastic.

I wanted to go to this too really badly but couldn't make it.

That leak sounds pretty cool, thanks to whoever put it in their Dropbox. Super excited for this album.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

SgtScruffy posted:

Man, I caused some drama. I love Daft Punk and I'm super excited for the album, I'm just trying to level my expectations just in case it ISN'T the greatest album ever made v:shobon:v

Seriously. I'm not even that into Daft Punk, but even I'm super hyped for it. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of backlash from a lot of folks when it doesn't convince every other musician to give up.

Barbobot
Apr 29, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also, in other news, I went to a Daft Punk tribute show tonight (at Republic, for any of you NOLA goons). So I have no clue if these guys are locals or if they're doing a national tour or what.

These are my buddies from Phoenix. It's a national tour with tour dates listed here: https://www.facebook.com/onemoretimeofficial

I passed on your words to let them know people are enjoying their show. If they're coming through your town, you should go check it out!

Barbobot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 9, 2013

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The fervor to which some people will defend this poo poo is crazy to me.

It's astonishing. I've never seen anything like it for an album before, though I'm sure this isn't the worst the world's ever seen.

Someone who went to the listening party posted their thoughts here - http://nialler9.com/first-listen-daft-punk-random-access-memories - and gave it a fairly negative review. Who knows if they're right or not, but the comments from people who haven't heard the album are hilarious:

quote:

Carl
Friday, May 3, 2013 at 4:36 pm
This is what happens when a music reviewer cant think outside the box…wouldnt write it off yet

quote:

Casey
Friday, May 3, 2013 at 5:31 pm
Discovery received a load of nasty reviews when it was first released as well. Just because you don’t like the style of the album doesn’t make it bad; in fact, I’m surprised by how opinion-based this entire article was, and yet how you assert that your personal taste must dictate how good or bad an album is. I for one am looking forward to something different. If I wanted Discovery or Homework, I’d listen to those albums. And if you are hailing “Get Lucky” and wanted the entire album to be like that, well, frankly, I’m glad you were disappointed. What a poorly written review.

quote:

Kch
Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 6:51 am
i guess you were expecting to hear something like skrillex or guetta
i dont give a gently caress about the review either
i guess its a free world, you can say whatever you want
so i call bullshit on th review, but whatever

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Wow, just wow. I can't wait to hear the rest. The sounds in this track just scream Daft Punk. I have no doubt in my mind that it's legit. This is awesome. Purely awesome. Thanks for sharing this link.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys this hyper-defensive superfan stuff isn't really noteworthy. Replace "Daft Punk" with <Xbox 360> or <Halo> or <Ferrari> or <30 Rock> or <Apple>.

There will always be a subset of people who defend ANYTHING by a certain brand or whatever. They are the exact same level of crazy that those who staunchly and automatically HATE anything by a certain brand are.

I'd like to think MOST of us fall within the more reasonable spectrum of "Pretty excited", "Unfazed" or "Not really for me."

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Popcorn posted:

It's astonishing. I've never seen anything like it for an album before, though I'm sure this isn't the worst the world's ever seen.

Any Radiohead album release. I briefly began compiling quotes from Radiohead fans in the amp-up for their last album and was going to post a Tumblr of quotes on various message boards and article comments. They are still worse than Daft Punk fans.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Popcorn posted:

Someone who went to the listening party posted their thoughts here - http://nialler9.com/first-listen-daft-punk-random-access-memories - and gave it a fairly negative review. Who knows if they're right or not, but the comments from people who haven't heard the album are hilarious:

Interesting to read the first overtly negative review. It does seem like the reviewer had very specific expectations for this album that it did not meet, however. I fully expect the rest of the album to be quite a bit more experimental and less "dance-y" than Get Lucky. However, if he's right and it's just a cheesy retread of old sounds that were left behind for good reason then maybe it won't be very good. I guess we'll just have to wait and hear it. I'm personally not any less excited after reading that review.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I've gotten a lot of people I know pretty hyped about this album that don't normally listen to Daft Punk. It's always fun bringing new people into the fold. This hype train can't stop!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Barbobot posted:

These are my buddies from Phoenix. It's a national tour with tour dates listed here: https://www.facebook.com/onemoretimeofficial/app_123966167614127

I passed on your words to let them know people are enjoying their show. If they're coming through your town, you should go check it out!

That link appears to be broken. I couldn't find a tour date list, but Google did inform me they played in my area two months ago :(

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boywunda posted:

The sounds in this track just scream Daft Punk.

actually the sounds in this track just scream Giorgio Moroder, if I heard this and someone told me it was an unreleased Moroder track I would've said "yup, sounds about right" and probably enjoyed it for some head bobbing but not thought much more of it.

The track's plenty enjoyable and I don't doubt that it's legit but nothing about this screams Daft Punk to me...

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Popcorn posted:

Man, I realize the review is negative, but the reviewer describing the album as "Prog-funk" has got me so excited. gently caress yeah.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Also interesting seeing as the last Justice album was Prog-rock through and through.

quote:

I don’t remember much about “Motherboard” from the one listen other than it is a prog-funk instrumental and I scrawled “WTF?” in big black pen on the page during it.

Not the sort of anecdote that makes me think you took the review/listen seriously. It's also always a red flag when someone makes the same complaint about every track without much variation. He could be totally right but I haven't seen a lot of people corroborating it and the entire thing is really flippant. "Prog" also seems to set off the automatic hate boner for a lot of music people, and I get the distinct sense of that going on here, especially when he talks about "uncool" sounds and how everyone abandoned them for a reason, as if prog music no longer exists.

Again, just talking about this guys article itself, no one here knows if he's right or wrong.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 9, 2013

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

MMD3 posted:

actually the sounds in this track just scream Giorgio Moroder, if I heard this and someone told me it was an unreleased Moroder track I would've said "yup, sounds about right" and probably enjoyed it for some head bobbing but not thought much more of it.

The track's plenty enjoyable and I don't doubt that it's legit but nothing about this screams Daft Punk to me...

Call me naive, but I'm not very familiar with Moroder, or if I am, not aware that it is Moroder. To me, the slow downs, tempo changes, cross fade in and out...that's what I'm referring to when I say "screams Daft Punk".

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boywunda posted:

Call me naive, but I'm not very familiar with Moroder, or if I am, not aware that it is Moroder. To me, the slow downs, tempo changes, cross fade in and out...that's what I'm referring to when I say "screams Daft Punk".

Yeah, I suppose the filter sweeps are certainly "Daft-Punky" but it sounds more like Moroder's stuff to me than Daft Punk, guess I should probably give it a few more listens.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Yeah, I suppose the filter sweeps are certainly "Daft-Punky" but it sounds more like Moroder's stuff to me than Daft Punk, guess I should probably give it a few more listens.

Regardless, the fact that we're even having this "debate" about sounds between the two is a good thing, and I think it accomplishes a goal of theirs. (As if I know what their goals are... Lol) It's definitely a good collaboration.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Asnorban posted:

Any Radiohead album release. I briefly began compiling quotes from Radiohead fans in the amp-up for their last album and was going to post a Tumblr of quotes on various message boards and article comments. They are still worse than Daft Punk fans.

As a die hard fan of both bands, I can quite agree. The only thing worse is Chili Peppers fans. Of which I am also. That said, I've let myself get swept away with the hype for this album. I've pre-ordered the physical and the iTunes release, the vinyl version and will no doubt grab an FLAC file too when it's released. At this point I'm fully expecting to be utterly disappointed after convincing myself this album will be the single greatest recording in the history of music.

And I'm OK with that.

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011

7seven7 posted:

As a die hard fan of both bands, I can quite agree. The only thing worse is Chili Peppers fans. Of which I am also. That said, I've let myself get swept away with the hype for this album. I've pre-ordered the physical and the iTunes release, the vinyl version and will no doubt grab an FLAC file too when it's released. At this point I'm fully expecting to be utterly disappointed after convincing myself this album will be the single greatest recording in the history of music.

And I'm OK with that.

What's so bad about Chili Peppers fans?

Barbobot
Apr 29, 2005

bawfuls posted:

That link appears to be broken. I couldn't find a tour date list, but Google did inform me they played in my area two months ago :(

That's weird. I tried to fix it but if it doesn't work:

One More Time - A Daft Punk Tribute
May 9 House of Blues Dallas, TX
May 11 Stereo Live Houston, TX
May 12 Cain's Ballroom Tulsa, OK
May 17 Rialto Theatre Tucson, AZ
May 18 Park Inn Albuquerque, NM
June 6 Roxy Theatre Hollywood, CA
June 7 DNA Lounge San Francisco, CA
June 8 Showbox at the Market Seattle, WA
June 9 Knitting Factory Spokane, WA
June 11 Hawthorne Theatre Portland, OR
June 12 Level Nightclub Kelowna, Canada
June 13 Cactus Jacks Kamloops, Canada
June 14 Sugar Victoria, Canada
June 15 Spice Lounge Nanaimo, Canada
June 16 Celebrities Nightclub Vancouver, Canada
June 19 Knitting Factory Boise, ID
June 20 Knitting Factory Reno, NV
June 22 Crescent Ballroom Phoenix, AZ

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I hate to say it since they've got a friend here but I find it a little bit ick that there's someone touring dressed as DP, playing DP songs and getting booked at places like Shobox in Seattle. I thought it was going to be a live band or something doing covers. The saving grace here being that DP themselves don't really tour sooooo I guess it's alright. Is there some other hook to it? Are they at least making their own mash ups and remixes?

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Boywunda posted:

Regardless, the fact that we're even having this "debate" about sounds between the two is a good thing, and I think it accomplishes a goal of theirs. (As if I know what their goals are... Lol) It's definitely a good collaboration.

Yeah, I can definitely hear both artists in this song. If you've heard some of Moroder's tracks like "Chase", you can see this song has a similar feel. On the other hand, it does have those Daft Punk elements in it as well. Anyways, I think it's a pretty cool song myself. I've always had an appreciation for Moroder's work. He was very forward-thinking with the futuristic feel of his productions with Donna Summer.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hate to say it since they've got a friend here but I find it a little bit ick that there's someone touring dressed as DP, playing DP songs and getting booked at places like Shobox in Seattle. I thought it was going to be a live band or something doing covers. The saving grace here being that DP themselves don't really tour sooooo I guess it's alright. Is there some other hook to it? Are they at least making their own mash ups and remixes?
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but a few years back at Capitol Hill Block Party, Faux Punk played Neumos at the end of the night. Just two dudes dressed up and mixing DP songs, the show wasn't anything compared to seeing Alive but it was a small bar filled with people dancing their faces off to only DP which was fun.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I think the "Get Lucky" music video is coming out on the 15th.

tentril
May 9, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

Man, I realize the review is negative, but the reviewer describing the album as "Prog-funk" has got me so excited. gently caress yeah.

He says it so many times that I feel like he doesn't know what it means. It certainly doesn't sound like a synonym for awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Someone get to work on an Chopped and screwed version of get lucky.

• Locked thread