Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
So it's basically what was promised by the attract screen to X-Men vs. Street Fighter? (And what Mugen did over a decade ago...)

I can dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Soulcleaver posted:

So it's basically what was promised by the attract screen to X-Men vs. Street Fighter? (And what Mugen did over a decade ago...)

I can dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utYWKUcmPQE

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I think Zangief volleyball is the best thing I've ever seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lus474QOAY

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Let's not forget Guilty Gear Isuka

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone should forget Guilty Gear Isuka.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Everyone should forget Guilty Gear Isuka.
Except for it's OST.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Beat me to it :(. Such a silly mode.

Man, I just want to see someone try this in a match, screw up the setup afterwards, and have the other guy win with some ridiculous team combo.

Arikado
May 9, 2008

Welp.

quote:

After careful consideration from the Evo team, the new Marvel snapback glitch is banned in tournament play at Evo.

Awfully quick to pull the trigger. Not sure how I feel about it, I would have liked to see how it was used up until Evo to see if it was really worth banning in a game already full of wacky poo poo. :shrug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Nero/Neko Chaos and Satsuki/Kouma ones own

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Knee-jerk reactions to impractical but entertaining setups hoo~

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brosnan posted:

Knee-jerk reactions to impractical but entertaining setups hoo~

No no it was careful consideration of the impractical but entertaining setups.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
After careful consideration from the Evo team, the new Street Fighter 2 "combo" glitch is banned in tournament play at Evo.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

getitoffgetitoff posted:

After careful consideration from the Evo team, the new Street Fighter 2 "combo" glitch is banned in tournament play at Evo.

Yeah cool that's a good comparison

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah cool that's a good comparison

It's hyperbole for sure, but banning a glitch before anybody even tried it in a real match is stupid.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Glitches? In a Marvel game? God forbid

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I think it's important that they put their foot down early instead of having tons of players put in the effort to learn strategy/counter-strategy. Obviously they don't know the ramifications, if any, the glitch has, but what possible outcomes are there? Either it's a gimmick or a complete game-changer, and neither possibility really warrants a wait-and-see approach.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I wouldnt be surprised if it's only banned for this coming Evo since it's so close, and theyll take a wait-and-see approach for 2014

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
I figure there are already one touch kill setups after defeating an opponent, this just eliminates the busy work.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
It's total bullshit to ban it. It's a total reversal of the position the fighting game scene has always had on these things.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Nah it's cool, all the smash players are doing it. Gotta make them feel at home with the other fighting games somehow.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Maybe they banned it so they don't have to risk this kind of poo poo happening in a match?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

systran posted:

Maybe they banned it so they don't have to risk this kind of poo poo happening in a match?

Or you could just make it so that if you do it once you treat it like a time out the first time it happens and then after that warn the player they get a game loss if they do it again. Banning this is like banning snapback infinites imo. Let the game develop organically.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I'm really surprised they just straight up banned it right away, that's super bogus and totally esports.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I'm really surprised they just straight up banned it right away, that's super bogus and totally esports.

It would be so awesome if it became its own metagame where a player goes for it, hoping to get an easy kill, but the opponent actually has a small advantage on the incoming from having two characters out at once, and access to dual-character infinites.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nah it's clearly a disadvantage to have two characters coming in, considering one of them can't block and takes double damage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Nah it's clearly a disadvantage to have two characters coming in, considering one of them can't block and takes double damage.
And dies on the way back to their home planet if the combo's dropped for even a second.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jmcrofts posted:

I think it could be an advantage if either of the characters have access to an invincible air hyper or aerial movement that escapes the incoming mixup. If anything, if you make it out of the mixup with both characters you can now set up "solo" unblockables any time you wish.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
It'd have an interesting impact on the team construction metagame because you'd want to try to put together teams where P2 and P3 could be effective together. I imagine Zero/Dante/Vergil would have some sick Dante+Vergil combination tech, but a team like Justin's Wolverine/Spencer/Frank would be totally boned.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Question about this bug - if someone does it and then successfully manages to get the "assist" character to disappear, do you get level 2 or level 3 x-factor?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Super Rad posted:

Question about this bug - if someone does it and then successfully manages to get the "assist" character to disappear, do you get level 2 or level 3 x-factor?

lv2.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Hahaha that is so bad. Thanks, Obama.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

STiL. posted:

Obviously they don't know the ramifications, if any, the glitch has, but what possible outcomes are there? Either it's a gimmick or a complete game-changer, and neither possibility really warrants a wait-and-see approach.

It's weird how you managed to reach precisely the wrong conclusion from the same set of information.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Gutcruncher posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if it's only banned for this coming Evo since it's so close, and theyll take a wait-and-see approach for 2014

I hope people arent seriously still playing marvel 3 in a year. Its really sad if nothing better has come along to completely remove umvc3 from the competitive scene.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

I hope people arent seriously still playing marvel 3 in a year. Its really sad if nothing better has come along to completely remove umvc3 from the competitive scene.

Don't worry, we'll have Darkstalkers 4 by then and it will be terrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Don't worry, we'll have Darkstalkers 4 by then and it will be terrible.
A game with B.B Hood in it could never be terrible.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I suspect DS4 got shitcanned when they saw how poorly the VS HD release did.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zand posted:

You must be crazy if you think marvel is going anywhere, a jillion people care about marvel and no other games whatsoever. People loving love marvel. I don't but you know, people.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Zand posted:

Yeah I hate when people enjoy a thing I don't enjoy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I suspect DS4 got shitcanned when they saw how poorly the VS HD release did.

Come to think of it Capcom recently cancelled a huge number of unannounced projects after a bad fiscal year. Not looking good for Darkstalkers.

• Locked thread