Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

DrProsek posted:

Other than running it and just seeing if anything borks, if two mods generally don't have the same focus, they will play well together. NNM makes small changes everywhere while AoP focuses on political changes so they may be okay. I'm thinking of trying them out together myself, I always felt NNM had room to expand on the politics front.

E: I have both running right now and so far, everything seems to be in order. The political parties the mod adds seem to be in place, the renaming of existing governments works, the only thing I have to check is do parties vote in the way the mod wants them to, and compare the history files to see what changed in the Netherlands and the USA and see if it worked.
I can confirm that AoP and NNM play nice together, even on the beta patch. Haven't played a Vicky2 game without them since I got a hang of the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I'm getting a repeatable crash on March 26 1888 using the latest beta patch of Viccy 2 with the latest version of NNM. Playing a civilized Shogunate Japan (although the crash happens whatever nation I try to play at that date). Any idea what could be causing it?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Bishop Rodan posted:

Is the New Nations Mod compatible with the beta patch?

Also, one of my friends tells me I should use the Pop Demand mod, but I've heard mixed things in this thread. What's the general consensus? Should I go with Pop Demand or just use New Nations Mod?

I'm almost done with my first game of vanilla HoD (no patch) as the UK (surprisingly I wasn't overwhelmed) and I've had a shitload of fun with it. My only complaints really were the wonky colonisation in Africa and the AI being too eager to release dominions.
Use NNM, Pop Demand changes too much that didn't need changing.

quote:

Other than running it and just seeing if anything borks, if two mods generally don't have the same focus, they will play well together. NNM makes small changes everywhere while AoP focuses on political changes so they may be okay. I'm thinking of trying them out together myself, I always felt NNM had room to expand on the politics front.

E: I have both running right now and so far, everything seems to be in order. The political parties the mod adds seem to be in place, the renaming of existing governments works, the only thing I have to check is do parties vote in the way the mod wants them to, and compare the history files to see what changed in the Netherlands and the USA and see if it worked.
If they don't change the same files, there shouldn't be any problems. I don't think is AoP is fully compatible with the patch yet.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 9, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
So I decided to try out a game as Canada. I never did before because it would mean playing England, my least favourite nation for a long time but I decided to do a "Oh God how do I England" game, and despite partitioning myself to hell and back England is still doing well. I became a democracy, released every nation I could (I decided to release India in chunks so sadly there is no united India in my world yet, but I'm sure Rajputana should be able to handle it soon) and England was still a pretty high ranked Great Power (although sadly the Republic flag looks like the monarchy flag :()

With England nicely set up, I decided to release the Republic of Canada. Before I unpaused, I was disappointed again that the Republican Canadian flag was the monarchist flag (I know the maple leaf would be kinda ahistorical at this point but I wanted a prettier flag :(). Then I unpaused and immediately got this event.

...England, I'm not sure you know how this works. My succession becomes kinda pointless if you tag along :smith:.

Funniest thing is Canada is released as a really low ranking nation, but getting England propels it to #6 automatically.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrProsek posted:

...England, I'm not sure you know how this works. My succession becomes kinda pointless if you tag along :smith:.
Secession. :eng101: Pretty funny though, poor England just can't let go. :saddowns:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Secession. :eng101: Pretty funny though, poor England just can't let go. :saddowns:

:buddy: They love Canada so much, there are more Englishmen defending Canada than Canadians. Like, 90% of the army is English. They sure love their new nation that doesn't even accept them. Canada only accepts Anglo and French Canadians, not Anglos themselves. So while the nation is protected by Englishmen, the Canadian government thanks them by discriminating against them. Also I think I have more cores in India than in Canada because none of the events that were supposed to core past parts of Ottawa, Quebec, and New Brunswick fired. Oops.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Baronjutter posted:

Does pop adjuster work with established save games? Like I could say... add 1% of my culture's bureaucrats to a colony maybe?

Nah, it doesn't work with saves, it is exclusively a mod tool to alter the scenario.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Interesting, that's probably what happened in my latest NNM game where all of england became "Canada" after england lost a bunch of wars resulting in the freeing of various countries. I assume the event is there to get things like "Columbia" and the maratime union and Newfoundland to join one big Canada.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Interesting, that's probably what happened in my latest NNM game where all of england became "Canada" after england lost a bunch of wars resulting in the freeing of various countries. I assume the event is there to get things like "Columbia" and the maratime union and Newfoundland to join one big Canada.

Yyyyup. In the potential for the decision to apply to join the Dominion:
code:
OR = {
				tag = MRU
				tag = NEW
				tag = QUE
				tag = COL
				tag = MTC
				primary_culture = anglo_canadian
				AND = {
					primary_culture = british
					accepted_culture = anglo_canadian
					NOT = { tag = ENG }
				}
			}
It checks to make sure that british nation that accepts anglo canadians is not ENG, Great Britain... but it doesn't check to make sure it's not ENL, which is England. I see what they were getting at, by making it open to more nations in case a dominion forms or in case a new tag is added and they forget to add it to this decision those last few lines will pick it up and give the nation the decision, but then you have moments like this where they forgot to go in and restrict the decision from a new British nation that really should not have this decision :v:.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I guess just a not = ENL would work fix it. Sounds like a good little tweak for the NNM guy.
Oh, and I see he's already on top of it adding ENL to the not list after I mentioned it to him the other day!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 9, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So I guess just a not = ENL would work fix it. Sounds like a good little tweak for the NNM guy.
Oh, and I see he's already on top of it adding ENL to the not list after I mentioned it to him the other day!

While he/you are at it, Canada has the Join Confederation decision too. It doesn't work because Canada can't get 150 relations with Canada but while looking at that event it would help :v:.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

They will never build tank factories, I think. Switch to State Capitalism or Planned Economy and build the factories yourself.

Just last night I had capitalists build four tank factories, so this is definitely not the case.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Baronjutter posted:

That was a "bug" that did not need to fixed :colbert:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tomn posted:

I'm pretty sure the "Attract Immigrant" NF only affects people within your own country, actually - it doesn't have an effect on outside immigration.

Yeah, it's a bit counter-intuitive.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

It makes sense to me. It would be kind of difficult convince people from all of the world to just pack up and head to your country. I always figured "Attract Immigrant" was an abstraction of things like selling land at artificially cheap prices, offering tax incentives and so on to your people to incentivize your people to move to new land. Basically taping this up all over the place:

Of course, that might be better served by the word "migration" and not "immigration."

Yeah, I would've thought that it should've been "migration" instead too, if that's the case. But alright then cool, I guess I'll set that to be the National Focus whenever there isn't anything more pressing. (which reminds me, I should probably do the same for Korea too, so that they hopefully hate me less, heh)

Also, with the "how could you affect other countries' immigrants choosing your country over another", I was thinking that they might've done so by trying to make their country look good in their press, sort of thing. Like, try to keep the bad events, etc. out of their headlines and possibly try to push the fact that your country is a nice place to live, etc. But yeah, you wouldn't be able to directly affect it

EDIT: Oh also, can anyone tell me if/how I can repair damaged ships? Since I've got two clippers that got into a fight with a clipper and a frigate (and won!), and one of them has had its strength lowered to about 83%. Leaving it in my lv. 1 naval base for a few years - mostly due to me forgetting about it and not needing it, heh - hasn't allowed it to repair over time, so am I just missing a 'repair' button or something, or am I unable to raise ship strength again at all, like you can with armies?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 10, 2013

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DrProsek posted:

So I decided to try out a game as Canada. I never did before because it would mean playing England, my least favourite nation for a long time but I decided to do a "Oh God how do I England" game, and despite partitioning myself to hell and back England is still doing well. I became a democracy, released every nation I could (I decided to release India in chunks so sadly there is no united India in my world yet, but I'm sure Rajputana should be able to handle it soon) and England was still a pretty high ranked Great Power (although sadly the Republic flag looks like the monarchy flag :()

With England nicely set up, I decided to release the Republic of Canada. Before I unpaused, I was disappointed again that the Republican Canadian flag was the monarchist flag (I know the maple leaf would be kinda ahistorical at this point but I wanted a prettier flag :(). Then I unpaused and immediately got this event.

If you're using default Victoria II/PDM, then democracies use the "default" flag that HM's Governments also use. The "Republic" flag only shows up in Presidential and Bourgeois Dictatorships, I think. You can redefine which governments use what flags under the Common folder in V2, and I think the Age of Politics mod automatically makes HM's governments use the monarchy flag so that the default flag can be used for democratic republics only.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, can anyone tell me if/how I can repair damaged ships? Since I've got two clippers that got into a fight with a clipper and a frigate (and won!), and one of them has had its strength lowered to about 83%. Leaving it in my lv. 1 naval base for a few years - mostly due to me forgetting about it and not needing it, heh - hasn't allowed it to repair over time, so am I just missing a 'repair' button or something, or am I unable to raise ship strength again at all, like you can with armies?

You need a level 2 naval base to begin repairs on ships, all level 1 bases do is to stop attrition damage going any further

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Soviet_Russia posted:

You need a level 2 naval base to begin repairs on ships, all level 1 bases do is to stop attrition damage going any further

Ah, alright then, thanks, that would explain that, then! On a related note, are there any advantages (ala the naval base ones already mentioned, like stopping attrition) to building forts, other than the defensibility bonus like in HoI? I would've thought not, but I suppose there could be something that I've missed (again, much like the naval bases' bonus, heh) like that province being able to support another brigade or so of yours, due to the fort having accumulated a stockpile, for example.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Does anybody know why I can never influence the Chinese Empire? I have all the other Chinese states sphered but for some reason neither my nor Great Britain's influence changes from a solid 0.0 Neutral.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Does anybody know why I can never influence the Chinese Empire? I have all the other Chinese states sphered but for some reason neither my nor Great Britain's influence changes from a solid 0.0 Neutral.

There should be a info box that will explain it, but you get a big negative for having less of a population than they do.

e: like so:

Miles Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 10, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

There should be a info box that will explain it, but you get a big negative for having less of a population than they do.

e: like so:

Yep, looks like population was the issue. -9040%, Christ on a cracker :stare: Looks like I'll just have to chisel away at the Chinese Empire territorially or something. Lucky I at least managed to break Manchukuo out of the Chinese satellite system through an event chain, they'll probably take my side if there's a war.

Edit:

Cynic Jester posted:

Just Sphere the other allied substates, then beat up on the Empire. They won't join if they're in your Sphere.

Yeah, I'm working on that now.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 10, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Yep, looks like population was the issue. -9040%, Christ on a cracker :stare: Looks like I'll just have to chisel away at the Chinese Empire territorially or something. Lucky I at least managed to break Manchukuo out of the Chinese satellite system through an event chain, they'll probably take my side if there's a war.

Just Sphere the other allied substates, then beat up on the Empire. They won't join if they're in your Sphere.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Soviet_Russia posted:

Level 0 (ie no base built) stops attrition, level 1 (first level of naval base) repairs ships.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Technically, you could also DOW the Chinese Empire with the "Add to Sphere" CB.

Don't do that, it's a bad idea.

Anyway, I decided to look in on AI Britain in my Arabia game after Britain got its rear end handed to it by France and had the home island completely occupied.

Shouldn't Sepoys be one rebel movement and not four?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Could it have something to do with the different religions, cultures, etc., present in India, and it's just not communicating that clearly? Because, theoretically, I suppose it's possible that the British could have just pissed off the Muslims into revolt while the Hindus stayed loyal, especially since pan-Indian nationalism wasn't a huge thing until the Mutiny itself happened, as far as I know. I don't know, I'm just spitballing here.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Those Anarcho-liberals :smithicide:

I wish they'd do something about rebels to make them less of a pain in the rear end and more of a threat. Having a single stack pop up in all your territories is entirely pointless, especially once you start throwing up forts. The automated rebel hunting helps, but it just feels so pointless. Have all stacks that spawn in a state join the same stack or something. Maybe have an upper limit to prevent them keeling over from attrition instantly. But anything would be better than the pointlessness of 50 pop ups going "Their losses:3000".

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Patter Song posted:

Well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-0Az7dgRY

On a more serious note, is there any way to take land from, say, Canada when it is a satellite/dominion of Great Britain, without breaking it free? Or annexing a one state Columbia without first setting it free? Maybe I've missed the correct CB, but I can't figure it out.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

What's a reasonable date to be westernized as Japan in V2? I tried doing it much too fast and ended up having hundreds of rebel brigades popping up yearly.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh hey, just noticed that Pride of Nations is no longer purchasable on the Steam store. Why's that? Was it just really buggy like Legends of Pegasus or something, and was pulled from the store? (I haven't really kept up to date with its status, but I was contemplating that a while back when it was first released, but decided not to get it at that point, since it seemed too similar to V2, which I've already got. Which might explain why I don't have a clue why it's unavailable) Or have they run out of keys for it, so have just pulled it temporarily, or something?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Odobenidae posted:

What's a reasonable date to be westernized as Japan in V2? I tried doing it much too fast and ended up having hundreds of rebel brigades popping up yearly.

That's fine, just butcher them all with irregulars. Fastest I've done it was 1846 but you can probably do it faster than that.

Major Isoor posted:

Oh hey, just noticed that Pride of Nations is no longer purchasable on the Steam store. Why's that? Was it just really buggy like Legends of Pegasus or something, and was pulled from the store? (I haven't really kept up to date with its status, but I was contemplating that a while back when it was first released, but decided not to get it at that point, since it seemed too similar to V2, which I've already got. Which might explain why I don't have a clue why it's unavailable) Or have they run out of keys for it, so have just pulled it temporarily, or something?

Because AGEOD is owned by Matrix now and Matrix doesn't believe in large sales or making money.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

uPen posted:

That's fine, just butcher them all with irregulars. Fastest I've done it was 1846 but you can probably do it faster than that.

Because AGEOD is owned by Matrix now and Matrix doesn't believe in large sales or making money.

Ah, well that would explain it.

And yeah, I think I westernized at around 1850 (give or take a couple of years) and all I got was a couple of reactionary rebels. (although the number of supporters doesn't really seem to go down, even after killing 9,000 or so of their supporters, oddly)

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Patter Song posted:

Technically, you could also DOW the Chinese Empire with the "Add to Sphere" CB.

Don't do that, it's a bad idea.

Anyway, I decided to look in on AI Britain in my Arabia game after Britain got its rear end handed to it by France and had the home island completely occupied.

I wish I'd read this earlier. My economy :negative: Fortunately I saved right before justifying so I can just reload and try again from there. So if I should avoid sphereing the Chinese Empire, what kind of wars should I launch against them? I imagine annexing bit by bit is borderline unthinkable, to begin with. For reference, I'm playing as Russia and it's the early 1870s now.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

uPen posted:

An NNM perspective:

1) For some reason, Japan lost access to wool every few years or so. I dunno if it was my particular game, or if that's just how Shog Japan works, but it turned reactionaries into a major existential threat. I wish I would've westernized a bit slower in that game.

2) 1846? That's vanilla HoD, right? In NNM, I think that might be literally mathematically impossible.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

quadrophrenic posted:

2) 1846? That's vanilla HoD, right? In NNM, I think that might be literally mathematically impossible.

Yeah. You're so far away from everyone that your infamy doesn't really matter. Pop the early Meiji decision, annex Korea then go beat up some uncivs in SEA. If you release everyone as dominions as soon as you conquer them you'll westernize in about a decade with ~25-35 infamy. The limiting factor for me was I literally could not pass reforms fast enough because of the cooldown.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

I wish I'd read this earlier. My economy :negative: Fortunately I saved right before justifying so I can just reload and try again from there. So if I should avoid sphereing the Chinese Empire, what kind of wars should I launch against them? I imagine annexing bit by bit is borderline unthinkable, to begin with. For reference, I'm playing as Russia and it's the early 1870s now.

It's thinkable, but I'm not a fan of adding tens of millions of wrong-culture pops to my country. Some people are, though.

Here's a thought: if you bully China enough to the point where it loses to rebels, the "substate" relations will all be broken (and Tibet will lose its satellite status). This would also happen if one of the substates civs first, but that's a different process in which all of them will become civs instantly (and Tibet would still be tied to China). I'm fond of DOWing for something like humiliate China, slaughtering China's entire army, firing the "Burn the Summer Palace" decision, and letting the Boxers or the Reactionaries take over China and breaking their power for good. Boxers are especially handy if you can cultivate them while at war with China, because they give you access to the "Suppress the Boxer Rebellion" CB you can add onto the CBs you already have.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I have a chronic fear of breaking the BB limit as any unciv, and IIRC Korea starts as a satellite of China in NNM. That's asking a lot of a nation that starts with 1 transport and 5 brigades.

I probably should've done some more early adventurism in SEA, though, that's true. In Shogunate Japan the economic reforms look so much tastier than the military ones.

How do you pop the Meiji decision in NNM? Or is that the one that ends Sakoku?

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
Basically, infamy isn't much of a worry with Japan. It's the 1870s, I've got close to 200 infamy...and the only time anyone declares a war of containment is as an added wargoal in one of my wars of conquest. I've never had such an easy country, it's insane. Awesome, but insane.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

ganthony posted:

Basically, infamy isn't much of a worry with Japan. It's the 1870s, I've got close to 200 infamy...and the only time anyone declares a war of containment is as an added wargoal in one of my wars of conquest. I've never had such an easy country, it's insane. Awesome, but insane.

Pretty much this. My current China game has me at 100 infamy in 1855. Westernization never felt so broken.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

quadrophrenic posted:

I have a chronic fear of breaking the BB limit as any unciv, and IIRC Korea starts as a satellite of China in NNM. That's asking a lot of a nation that starts with 1 transport and 5 brigades.

I probably should've done some more early adventurism in SEA, though, that's true. In Shogunate Japan the economic reforms look so much tastier than the military ones.

How do you pop the Meiji decision in NNM? Or is that the one that ends Sakoku?

If you're far enough away or have a large enough military the BB limit doesn't exist. In my Germany game I had more military score than the 2-4 great powers combined so nobody bugged me even when I racked up hundreds of infamy. As Japan you're completely safe as long as you never have a land border China. Just release all your continental holdings as dominions and you should be fine.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

uPen posted:

If you're far enough away or have a large enough military the BB limit doesn't exist. In my Germany game I had more military score than the 2-4 great powers combined so nobody bugged me even when I racked up hundreds of infamy. As Japan you're completely safe as long as you never have a land border China. Just release all your continental holdings as dominions and you should be fine.

Wait, so should I (I'm also Japan) release Korea as a dominion, then? I've refrained from doing so thus far because I'm pretty sure I remember reading on here that if there's a successful coup/revolution in your country, your puppets get released, or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Finally finished my Arabia game to 1936.

Due to the Brits' incompetence, I was prevented from taking Spanish Morocco and French Algiers (they were leading my war and while I was kicking rear end in North Africa and against the Turks, they were having Edinburgh and Glasgow sacked by French soldiers who walked across the Channel).

I finished at #9...the GPs were USA, Germany, Britain, France, Japan, China, Australia, and Netherlands. Standout countries were Ukraine (singlehandedly beat the USSR in a war), Colombia (successfully taking on the USA in a defensive war when the game ended), and of course Germany. Italy had its day in the sun, but it lost a big war to Germany, which now has an Adriatic port in Venice. Standout loser of the game is Russia/USSR, which is a vacant wasteland with a population on par with Austria.

• Locked thread