Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is it ok to play Rise of the Samurai before vanilla? I kinda want to play this in chronological order.

Sure. There's nothing you need to know from the vanilla campaign that you need to know to play any of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow I only just make the minimum specs for Rome 2. Guess it's time for a new PC!

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is it ok to play Rise of the Samurai before vanilla? I kinda want to play this in chronological order.

Not if you don't want your game to explode!

Of course it is. There are a couple of different mechanics in RotS, but it's not that much harder to figure out, and you have the added benefit of a sister clan that, in theory, has your back for a while. Personally I would say newbies should do vanilla first but chronological order is actually a pretty reasonable reason so whatever you want. Allegiance is the big new mechanic- it's like religion in vanilla, but actually important. And for Shogun 2 newbies: make sure you keep track of how much food you have- markets use food. It's easier to manage in RotS since you get food stores, but it can still be a pain if you're not expecting it. If you end up with a few food under minimum things will go to poo poo incredibly quickly.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 9, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Yeah go ahead. Nothing wrong with playing them in order.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
Hey, to anyone else with an AMD HD 7000 series graphics card - the latest drivers improved performance in Shogun 2 for me a lot, so I suggest you download them!

EDIT: Here they are: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx 13.5 beta 2 drivers. Note: they are beta drivers, so if your computer explodes, don't say I didn't warn you.

BobTheSpy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 9, 2013

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Well poo poo, time to start saving for a new PC. Or sell a few organs.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Well there goes getting this game off STEAM, even with sales this game is going to be far to expensive for a long time. £45 is far to expensive for a game.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think the other screenshots showed macedonians who were properly attired. I hope to god they do not repeat Rome's treatment of the Greeks and have them all be wearing Corinthian helmets and dressed as hoplites. Certainly seems like they are doign a better job this time around, but I am still wary.
They can't help it, the Corinthian Helmet is too cool looking/somewhat iconic. :colbert:

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Laughing Zealot posted:

Edit: I totally didn't see the next page with replies on this, I'll just elaborate a bit I guess. There's nothing specific in vanilla you need to have mastered to enjoy RotS, if you've run the tutorial and figure out the RotS specific allegiance mechanic.

The RotS campaign is a little tougher I'd say though, it's got a tighter time limit with a sparser economy and generally a little more fragile troops. I'd expect your learning curve to be a bit steeper and the vanilla campaign to feel easier afterwards.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 9, 2013

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

They really couldn't toss in some kind of season pass equivalent for the collector's edition? Hell if I'm paying $154 for the games and some toys I don't want to be charged for DLC later!

Seriously, if you're going to charge an extra $100 for $10 worth of junk, you could at least toss the poor suckers who buy that thing some free DLC. Then again, I guess the people who would buy it are the people who buy every DLC on release day for full price, so nobody wants to lose that revenue.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Laughing Zealot posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that all three campaigns exist in their own timelines and don't effect each other in any way. It doesn't really work as a "long campaign" if that's what you were trying to do. As an example, No matter what happens in your vanilla S2 campaign, when you play Fall of the Samurai, it will exist in a separate timeline where the Tokugawa will rise to the shogunate after the Sengoku Jidai as they did in real life.

Basically, you can play them in any order you want, especially since Vanilla and Rise of the Samurai are very similar in tems of basic gameplay and tactics.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I think some of the starting provinces in FoTS are ruled by the same clans they were in vanilla, though. Which means you can totally be like "I'm playing my last dude's great-grandson!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Excellent, Steam pre-order is up and this gives me plenty of time to finish my Shogun 2 game. Come on September!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just a reminder, everyone, that depending on your region GreenManGaming may be cheaper than Steam, and you still get the Greek preorder bonus.

VVVVV I don't see why not. For Rome II they give you a CD Key to enter into Steam, it's not locked to any one person until you do that.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 10, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Krazyface posted:

Just a reminder, everyone, that depending on your region GreenManGaming may be cheaper than Steam, and you still get the Greek preorder bonus.

Can you even "gift" something from GMG? As in, someone buys it for you and sends you the code. I know there's no gifting interface, and you are locked to only one purchase per item, though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
After Diablo III, paying $60 for a game just seems so wrong, but this is one of those occasions where I will totally get my money's worth, even if it's not until a year after the purchase (happened with Shogun and to an extent the first Rome). Besides, it's really easy to just convince yourself the game is $50 and the DLC is actually $10 like the poo poo they pulled with BF3.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Ugh, I promised myself I would never pre-order another game, especially if the pre-order gets you some DLC stuff, because overall I think it's a lovely business practice. But I've played ever TW game since Rome and I've enjoyed them all, even Empire. So I'm definitely going to pick this up and I'll probably enjoy it, but I'm waffling on whether I should break down and pre-order it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I still use the heavy wood box the Empire collector's edition came with, and the map made me buy this one. I spent many hours playing R:TW the first time, though I always ended up stopping just after marching on Rome.

Have they said yet how the Roman factions + Senate is going to be handled this time?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

The spartans look a little bit anachronistic, i liked the ones from the first RTW, they were much more accurate considering the period. I think.. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Also where the gently caress are my Iberians CA? :argh: seriously 7 greco-roman factions.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Laughing Zealot posted:

It's perfectly fine to play Rise of the Samurai first. In fact, I would argue that it's got a better balance and tighter playstyle than vanilla which makes it easier to get to grips with, not to mention you get a semi-permanent ally in the form of your sister clan which can be a real boon.

You can learn all you need to know (and watch some videos of the various troops being used) in my LP of RotS.

This thread can certainly answer any questions you have!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fizzil posted:

The spartans look a little bit anachronistic, i liked the ones from the first RTW, they were much more accurate considering the period. I think.. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Also where the gently caress are my Iberians CA? :argh: seriously 7 greco-roman factions.

Those were way worse. The Spartans never went into battle with only robes and such. Really there were no more hoplite Spartans at the time of the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cafel posted:

Ugh, I promised myself I would never pre-order another game, especially if the pre-order gets you some DLC stuff, because overall I think it's a lovely business practice. But I've played ever TW game since Rome and I've enjoyed them all, even Empire. So I'm definitely going to pick this up and I'll probably enjoy it, but I'm waffling on whether I should break down and pre-order it.

If I may ask, what's wrong with companies offering preorder bonuses? Incentives for early adopters is nothing new, and at least with a DLC pack, late adopters aren't screwed out of ever having access to the content.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Those were way worse. The Spartans never went into battle with only robes and such. Really there were no more hoplite Spartans at the time of the game.

The single unit of Heroes of Sparta sounds good to me. Sparta at this time is still licking it wounds after most of its hoplites got slaughtered by the Thebans and their allies. Hopefully that'll translate into something interesting like a reliance on light troops and mercenaries with a small core of valuable actual Spartans

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

jivjov posted:

If I may ask, what's wrong with companies offering preorder bonuses? Incentives for early adopters is nothing new, and at least with a DLC pack, late adopters aren't screwed out of ever having access to the content.

Personally, I prefer pre-ordering once I either
a) get into a beta/demo and I like what I see
or
b) we know everything about the game.

Right now, there's been zero talk about the multiplayer system - for example - and that's one thing I'm interested to hear about. But at the same time, I like being able to pre order sooner when it's a promising game. Waiting for Wargame: Airland Battle to be available as a pre-order made me realize that. :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 10, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Azran posted:

or

Right now, there's been zero talk about the multiplayer system - for example - and that's one thing I'm interested to hear about. But at the same time, I like being able to pre order sooner when it's a promising game. Waiting for Wargame: Airland Battle to be available as a pre-order made me realize that. :v:

I think multiplayer is the only part of TW we don't have to worry about at all. The improvements since Rome 1 have been excellent every step of the way.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

I think multiplayer is the only part of TW we don't have to worry about at all. The improvements since Rome 1 have been excellent every step of the way.

I never ever played TW multiplayer before Shogun 2, and I jumped straight from medieval Europe to Japan. So good to know! :toot: I wonder if they are keeping the Avatar system. I enjoyed it, even though the balance was annoying sometimes (Hello bow generals!)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Azran posted:

or

Well, game isn't out til September. Plenty of time to get lots more information about it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I think some of the starting provinces in FoTS are ruled by the same clans they were in vanilla, though. Which means you can totally be like "I'm playing my last dude's great-grandson!"

It's sort of jarring to realize that many of those clans still exist today. The Shimazu, the Mori, the Oda, and the Date have current family heads, for instance. The current head of the Tokugawa family wrote a book defending the reign of the Tokugawa Shogunate as an age of cultural enlightenment.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

jivjov posted:

It's not a bonus if it's a feature they held hostage. A bonus would be something like alternate skins, like alternate Spartan skins or music CDs and stuff that doesn't make those who are not pre-ordering missing a part of the gameplay. It's also different from DLCs, which are added content.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wid posted:

It's not a bonus if it's a feature they held hostage. A bonus would be something like alternate skins, like alternate Spartan skins or music CDs and stuff that doesn't make those who are not pre-ordering missing a part of the gameplay. It's also different from DLCs, which are added content.

The preorder bonus this time around is a DLC pack. You either get it for free with a preorder or you can get it later by buying it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Vengarr posted:

It's sort of jarring to realize that many of those clans still exist today. The Shimazu, the Mori, the Oda, and the Date have current family heads, for instance. The current head of the Tokugawa family wrote a book defending the reign of the Tokugawa Shogunate as an age of cultural enlightenment.

This phenomenon is not unique to Japan. In the UK, a number of the grand medieval dynasties are still major landowners and politically influential.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vengarr posted:

Which book is this?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Brannock posted:

Which book is this?

The Edo Inheritance by Tokugawa Tsunenari.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

jivjov posted:

Because a lot of game studios have been taking games, especially with well known brand names or developers attached to them, hyping them up and putting out free pre-order DLC. Tons of people pre-order, reviews are held to the day of launch and then a couple hundred thousand people get their pre-orders and realize the game is poo poo while the company goes laughing all the way to the bank. For the latest major example see Aliens: Colonial Marines.

The problem that I have with pre-order DLC especially is that it's content that really feeds into this cycle and it encourages developers to move resources away from the base game to material that encourages people to take a blind flying leap off a cliff and by doing so fuel much of the current lovely game development. Those that don't pre-order a game that does turn out to be good are gouged later by being asked to pay for content that could have easily been included with the base game. As time has gone on game developers have realized how lucrative pre-orders and day one DLC are and have devoted more and more resources to it, all at the expense of the base product.

Now I'm not saying that Rome 2 is sure to suck or anything, and even if it does I'll probably still pick it up at some point. But I really want to step away from the gaming nerd habit of throwing fistfuls of cash into a flaming pit.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah they should have stuck with the Thebeans, but I guess they don't have the "Brand Recognition" as the Spartans do to modern audiences. Though weren't the Thebeans destroyed anyway by the time this game starts?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cafel posted:

Because a lot of game studios have been taking games, especially with well known brand names or developers attached to them, hyping them up and putting out free pre-order DLC. Tons of people pre-order, reviews are held to the day of launch and then a couple hundred thousand people get their pre-orders and realize the game is poo poo while the company goes laughing all the way to the bank. For the latest major example see Aliens: Colonial Marines.

The problem that I have with pre-order DLC especially is that it's content that really feeds into this cycle and it encourages developers to move resources away from the base game to material that encourages people to take a blind flying leap off a cliff and by doing so fuel much of the current lovely game development. Those that don't pre-order a game that does turn out to be good are gouged later by being asked to pay for content that could have easily been included with the base game. As time has gone on game developers have realized how lucrative pre-orders and day one DLC are and have devoted more and more resources to it, all at the expense of the base product.

Now I'm not saying that Rome 2 is sure to suck or anything, and even if it does I'll probably still pick it up at some point. But I really want to step away from the gaming nerd habit of throwing fistfuls of cash into a flaming pit.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't agree with a lot of what you've just said, but I can't articulate my reasons well enough to have a decent debate with you.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Why preorder a game like 5 months in advance anyway, even of you want the preorder bonus what advantage does it offer you over ordering the day before?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shorter Than Some posted:

Why preorder a game like 5 months in advance anyway, even of you want the preorder bonus what advantage does it offer you over ordering the day before?

For me, a lot of it is "I have the money now, might as well get my preorder locked now in case early september is full of wallet-draining emergencies."

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising
Have they announced that Rome Total War 2 would be Steamworks or not?

As in if I bought it off the sega store, would it be going through Steam or standalone?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spirit Tree posted:

Have they announced that Rome Total War 2 would be Steamworks or not?

As in if I bought it off the sega store, would it be going through Steam or standalone?

Yes, Rome 2 is Steamworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

Other than France and Russia i think all major aristocratic families of Europe are still alive.