Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

I don't know what to tell you, I will try to go further and find a different store with ones on display, but the ones I have seen so far have cheap Chinese tablet levels of choppiness. If there is some trick to ameliorating that then it is a lot of pixels for the price.

I picked up one for myself and one for mother's day and they've been great; games, 1080 video, web surfing all work well, the only performance issue I've seen is a slight delay sometimes when changing apps or going to the home screen but I'll occasionally get the same thing on my ipod touch. I have been using the audi stop app to keep too many processes from piling up

overall I'd strongly recommend the HD+ for $180

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, somehow my N7 up and died on me.

I last used it about two weeks ago on a trip. Just left it in my bag until yesterday. The bag was just sitting on my living room floor in the corner the whole time. When I realized I might need it that evening, so I took it out of my bag and plugged it in to charge (with the wall charger it shipped with.)

I let it go a few hours, then checked on it..the backlight seemed sort of half on, or something. I saw some glowing from the edges around the screen, and the back was warm. The power button did nothing. Unplugging it made the half-backlight go away, plugging it back it and it came back. I left it unplugged and cursed to myself.

This morning, I plugged it in again, and it didn't fo that weird half-backlight thing, but booted up. It got to the unlock screen, then shutdown after briefly showing a super-low battery message.

Since then, nothing. No charging symbol on the screen, can't get it to turn on, on either the wall charger or one of three other USB plugs/chargers.

I got it in December (X-Mas present.) How long is the warranty on these bad boys?

Edit: Oh, how about that, there's an entire article about the N7 possibly not charging after being left uncharged for a while:
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=3055485&topic=2453057&ctx=topic

Ok, I'll try all of that gobbledy-gook first.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you got it from Google just call them and they'll cross-ship you a new one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

If you got it from Google just call them and they'll cross-ship you a new one.
He doesn't need to, it's the same problem that 10 people have had in this thread. Let it charge overnight and it will come back to life. Don't let your batteries completely discharge, people.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

He doesn't need to, it's the same problem that 10 people have had in this thread. Let it charge overnight and it will come back to life. Don't let your batteries completely discharge, people.

I think the big problem is after it discharges all the way and I recharge it, why do I need to hold the power button down for 15 seconds? That seemed to be my problem. Only 5-10 isn't enough, has to be 15 for some reason.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Hope you weren't late to an appointment or work or anything.

15 seconds probably just tells the software hey there was a full discharge, do this stuff on startup.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I returned my used dock for my transformer tf700 and got a refurbed one on newegg. Yep, the other one was broken and that's why it was so loose. Now I'm afraid this one will gently caress up my screen protector. I might just cut out a section on the bottom so it doesn't.

Can't get over how innovative this thing is. Why get an ipad? Seriously. It even recognizes my 2 TB hardrive.

With some help on another forum I finally upgrade to 4.2.1 JB. It was all a bit overwhelming to me.

I went with this kernel.

TF700: ASUS 10.6.1.14.4 Modded Stock Kernel v2
Row scheduler, UV, ISO9660, and fsync controlk. By _that

Now it's nice and snappy like it should have been.

Also, can someone explain launchers to me? Which ones should I try out? In options it says i'm on 4.1 JB launcher should I switch to the 4.2 launcher?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Can the Nexus 10 support a pressure sensitive stylus? I'm only contemplating a Galaxy Note 10.1 over the Nexus because of this.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Poniard posted:

Can the Nexus 10 support a pressure sensitive stylus? I'm only contemplating a Galaxy Note 10.1 over the Nexus because of this.

Nope. It's a simple capacitive screen. No 1024 points wacom business like the Note 10.1.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Jack_tripper posted:

I picked up one for myself and one for mother's day and they've been great; games, 1080 video, web surfing all work well, the only performance issue I've seen is a slight delay sometimes when changing apps or going to the home screen but I'll occasionally get the same thing on my ipod touch. I have been using the audi stop app to keep too many processes from piling up

overall I'd strongly recommend the HD+ for $180

Do you ever read PDFs on it? I fiddled with one at Target today and it choked really fast when I was tried to move rapidly through the pages of a PDF i had downloaded.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Christoff posted:

Can't get over how innovative this thing is. Why get an ipad? Seriously. It even recognizes my 2 TB hardrive.

For starters because you don't have to cut things apart to make them work as intended.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Danhenge posted:

Do you ever read PDFs on it? I fiddled with one at Target today and it choked really fast when I was tried to move rapidly through the pages of a PDF i had downloaded.

I might've opened a game manual or something in the last few years in pdf but I haven't on the nook or my pc recently

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Well, this might explain the Nook fire sale. Maybe it's not so much that B&N spins off the sinking brick & mortar business and keeps e-books, as it is that someone buys the e-book part of B&N and rest goes to an LBO firm to run into the ground.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Christoff posted:

So I returned my used dock for my transformer tf700 and got a refurbed one on newegg. Yep, the other one was broken and that's why it was so loose. Now I'm afraid this one will gently caress up my screen protector. I might just cut out a section on the bottom so it doesn't.

With some help on another forum I finally upgrade to 4.2.1 JB. It was all a bit overwhelming to me.

I went with this kernel.

TF700: ASUS 10.6.1.14.4 Modded Stock Kernel v2
Row scheduler, UV, ISO9660, and fsync controlk. By _that

Now it's nice and snappy like it should have been.

Also, can someone explain launchers to me? Which ones should I try out? In options it says i'm on 4.1 JB launcher should I switch to the 4.2 launcher?

This sounds like you took the roundabout route to getting a functioning laptop. How much time and money did this cost you, all told?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

kitten smoothie posted:

Well, this might explain the Nook fire sale. Maybe it's not so much that B&N spins off the sinking brick & mortar business and keeps e-books, as it is that someone buys the e-book part of B&N and rest goes to an LBO firm to run into the ground.

I scored a Nook HD+ for $149. I also got a Nook Simple Touch and Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight for $20 and $30 last night. Not a bad deal.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
e: nevermind

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Tori CMOS posted:

This sounds like you took the roundabout route to getting a functioning laptop. How much time and money did this cost you, all told?

$280 for the tablet and $75 for the dock so $355. Plus I got a screen protector and case and poo poo.

Time? Uh, 15 minutes driving to meet the guy selling the tablet on Craigslist? I also spent hours researching all the poo poo but I just like to read reviews about every little piece before I buy.

It folds up to like an inch and I can disconnect it to make a tablet? It suits my needs perfectly and fills a niche.

Endless Mike posted:

For starters because you don't have to cut things apart to make them work as intended.

?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 9, 2013

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If anyone in the UK's looking to get an ok tablet on a wickedly tight budget, you can get the price of an Iconia B1 down to £74.05.

Asda's running a 5% off tablets promotion right now - code "tablet5". They're not on the excluded list for Acer Cashback( Comet, Costco, HMV, John Lewis, PC World, Currys, & Dixons + QVC), who're doing £20 back for a B1 bought during the month of may.

I'm grabbing one to tide me over till Haswell chips and Nexus refreshes drop.

ed: people have rooted the thing, too.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 9, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kerbtree posted:

If anyone in the UK's looking to get an ok tablet on a wickedly tight budget, you can get the price of an Iconia B1 down to £74.05.
lovely resolution, TN screen and half a gig of RAM. This, like pretty much every tablet that's "like a Nexus 7 but costs less" is a complete waste of money. Right now is an especially terrible time to buy something like that because there's a good chance of a Nexus 7 refresh this month so not only will there be some nice new hardware but also loads of people selling off their old stuff for cheap.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Christoff posted:

$280 for the tablet and $75 for the dock so $355. Plus I got a screen protector and case and poo poo.

Time? Uh, 15 minutes driving to meet the guy selling the tablet on Craigslist? I also spent hours researching all the poo poo but I just like to read reviews about every little piece before I buy.

It folds up to like an inch and I can disconnect it to make a tablet? It suits my needs perfectly and fills a niche.

?

Not sure why you're getting poo poo on, but I agree that its got a really cool and unique niche. I had one for about 3 months before deciding the software I wanted/needed the most was iOS only and the 1080p resolution was underutilized. If and when they get that solved, I'll have my perfect device. I wish that Apple would make a similar dock for the iPad (fat chance) but as Android grows as a tablet OS, I'll keep my eye out on the next Transformer and won't hesitate to switch back.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mesc posted:

Not sure why you're getting poo poo on, but I agree that its got a really cool and unique niche. I had one for about 3 months before deciding the software I wanted/needed the most was iOS only and the 1080p resolution was underutilized. If and when they get that solved, I'll have my perfect device. I wish that Apple would make a similar dock for the iPad (fat chance) but as Android grows as a tablet OS, I'll keep my eye out on the next Transformer and won't hesitate to switch back.
Logitec and a few others make several different keyboard docks for iPads FYI.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

lovely resolution, TN screen and half a gig of RAM. This, like pretty much every tablet that's "like a Nexus 7 but costs less" is a complete waste of money. Right now is an especially terrible time to buy something like that because there's a good chance of a Nexus 7 refresh this month so not only will there be some nice new hardware but also loads of people selling off their old stuff for cheap.

Has there been any decent buzz as to who is manufacturing the next Nexus 7? Is is still going to be Asus?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

randyest posted:

Logitec and a few others make several different keyboard docks for iPads FYI.

That adds battery, usb, sd card slot, folds into an inch, has a track pad, and all the different key functions?

Don't get me wrong I have an iPhone and love it but for a second I thought I was in the android tablet thread. Guess I got lost

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 9, 2013

Apr 7, 2003

You know what else has a large battery, USB, an SD slot, folds to an inch or less, has a track pad, and has all sorts of key functions? A laptop.

A lot of people who think they "need" a tablet with a keyboard and a trackpad actually need a laptop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tori CMOS posted:

You know what else has a large battery, USB, an SD slot, folds to an inch or less, has a track pad, and has all sorts of key functions? A laptop.

A lot of people who think they "need" a tablet with a keyboard and a trackpad actually need a laptop.
But you can't rip a laptop in half to impress your friends at parties.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Tori CMOS posted:

I've never seen a laptop that can run for 10-15 hours on a single charge.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tori CMOS posted:

Windows 8 ultrabook with touchscreen crew represent :hf:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zamin posted:

I've never seen a laptop that can run for 10-15 hours on a single charge.

Without heat or a fan.

Or the ability to detach a screen for portrait reading.

I'd argue that a lot of people that need a laptop would be better off with something like this, it's just not quite there.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Without heat or a fan.

Or the ability to detach a screen for portrait reading.

I'd argue that a lot of people that need a laptop would be better off with something like this, it's just not quite there.

Yeah I mean its not the best solution for everything, but as somebody who uses travels a lot it's ideal for me. The software just wasn't there yet.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Current WinTel tablet/ultrabook combos are pretty terrible, but if the upcoming north cape/haswell tablets are anything like the intel reference design, that looks real promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv7Kuy8ybnw

Apr 7, 2003

mesc posted:

Yeah I mean its not the best solution for everything, but as somebody who uses travels a lot it's ideal for me. The software just wasn't there yet.

Luckily for you, the software is already there, today, in small devices that fold and have a display and a keyboard.

That software is MacOS X or Windows.

You're welcome.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tori CMOS posted:

A dockable tablet unironically is a far better netbook then any actual netbook ever was.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Unless you need MS Office

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Tori CMOS posted:

Luckily for you, the software is already there, today, in small devices that fold and have a display and a keyboard.

That software is MacOS X or Windows.

You're welcome.

I guess you're missing the point - when I travel for work, I carry both a laptop and an iPad with me. The iPad is for reading, comics, forums, scribbling notes with Penultimate, taking to meetings so I don't have to bring a laptop in obnoxiously but can still check my email when necessary, watching movies on the plane, etc. Basically all the things that a tablet is great for when you don't want to have a laptop and a keyboard in front of you.

The laptop is for when I need to write emails, do light MS Office tasks, and other basic productivity tasks.

The Transformer series is the perfect hardware with which to do both, combined with a battery life of around 12-13 hours. Last summer, when I bought the Transformer Infinity, I know I was buying into a niche product set that would be ideal for my particular set of needs, but I wasn't prepared for just how unusable the software was for the productivity set of tasks (I tried just about every Office suite available for Android without success).

That doesn't make it a bad idea, it just means it was immature - and maybe what I was looking for was too niche and won't ever gain in popularity. I have a hunch that its not, considering the realm of ultrabook and tablet seems to be converging more and more with every new release.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Unless you need MS Office

There's several apps for that.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Yeah. About that. Argos is dumping their catalogue stock into their clearance warehouses. I've had a Nexus-sized change of plans.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Splizwarf posted:

There's several apps for that.

And they're all pretty awful, honestly.

I would love a decent GDrive or Office app on my Nexus 10 but they simply don't exist yet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't there a Libreoffice beta, or did I imagine that?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 10, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

Isn't there a Libreoffice beta, or did I imagine that?

There are daily builds: http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Android-ARM@24-Bytemark-Hosting/current/

But it's not that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

mesc posted:

and maybe what I was looking for was too niche and won't ever gain in popularity.

I would pay any price tag for this:

14 inch display (even 13 would be close enough) to be able to properly display a 8.5x11 page without scaling. .
ideally 1200p, higher would be nicer at that size, but 1440 or 1600p isn't necessary
same profile as current gen transformers, but a little thinner and lighter can't hurt
wacom digitizer/input
front firing speakers
arm (i don't need x86)

and then the usual stuff
sd built in to tab, bonus if it has full or micro usb too
dockable keyboard with usb3 and sd
12-14 hour battery
no fan, little heat

It could run ios, it could run android, it could run winRT, it doesn't matter. It just has to hit all those checkpoints. As it stands now, the closest thing I've found has been the tegra 3 transformer/dock which I've had since end of dec '11 (201, and then a 700). I just hope eventually this magical unicorn modular device I want is purchasable from someone, asus or not.