Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/internet-speed-booster - one of a whole two campaigns in the Technology section on Trump's site. I'm pretty sure that isn't technically possible, it doesn't need crowdfunding since it's already for sale on their website, and there's also an IndieGoGo campaign for it that's on the road to failure). They have some nice technobabble on their own website though:

http://outbooster.com/info/ posted:

Techie Answer: OutBooster amplifies an incoming signal through a series of patented self powered PoE magnetic transistors and aluminum mini-antennas to force a better bit rate. Then partnering with the best available hardware like gold plated 1000BASE-T Gigabit connections, it reduces the risk of loose or bad wiring. Finally, it balances packet transfer with built-in QoS (Quality of Service) to prioritize traffic and hardware regulation to minimize loops and broadcast storms. All with plug and play functionality to your existing network devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
That FundAnything site is full of "Pay for my living expenses!" and stuff like that. Here's "Pay for me to go to school": http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/7123

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Apparently that horrid witch Susan Wilson, who pitted her older sons against her 9 year old daughter over the whole "Kickstart her dreams of going into STEM/RPGMAKER summer camp!" found a parody gaming site article about her and flips her poo poo.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/guest-post-all-i-wanted-was-to-go-to-rpg-camp-by-mackenzie-wilson/

It's kind of a fun read to see how absolute batshit she is.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Apparently that horrid witch Susan Wilson, who pitted her older sons against her 9 year old daughter over the whole "Kickstart her dreams of going into STEM/RPGMAKER summer camp!" found a parody gaming site article about her and flips her poo poo.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/guest-post-all-i-wanted-was-to-go-to-rpg-camp-by-mackenzie-wilson/

quote:

Why? Because I’m not an idiot and I hate to seeing the younger generation use the technology my generation worked hard to create for evil instead of good.

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006

Jack Krauser posted:

That FundAnything site is full of "Pay for my living expenses!" and stuff like that. Here's "Pay for me to go to school": http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/7123

Already posted:

quantum_squirrel posted:

http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/7123: I need one class to finish my master, but I've got no good picture of me

But the Trumpstarter page is really high quality as seen on their Category list:

Kicktrump posted:

• Art
  • Education
  • Gaming
  • Hopes & Dreams
  • Medical
  • Music
  • Pets
  • Politics
  • Theater / Dance
  • Volunteering
  • Wedding

And can someone help me decipher this thing: I am a Highly Spiritual Person trapped in an Abusive Relationship
Server, lady, there is no crowdfunding which could replace that. (Ok, the funding ended like 9 months ago, 185 $ made of the 5000 $ goal, she moved out, but it is so full of batshit insanity)

quantum_squirrel has a new favorite as of 20:58 on May 10, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I just want to see what would happen if someone put a request for money for a gay/lesbian wedding or for a grassroots Green Party campaign on that site.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Miijhal posted:

I just want to see what would happen if someone put a request for money for a gay/lesbian wedding or for a grassroots Green Party campaign on that site.

A detective agency that specializes in birth certificates.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Edit: Looking through the local section of Kickstarter is like a treasure trove of terrible. Only $30k for a terrible stoner movie critic puppet show? :v:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1731694543/critics

Here's the reward for a $25 donation:

quote:

We will send you the FULL, UN-EDITED, ORIGINAL video we had planned to put on Kick-Starter -- some thought it was a bit, well... raunchy. But we still LOVED IT and so did our Moms. Kidding. They hated it,so you know ITS GOOD. -- Plus the REWARDS listed above.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Guys guys, we need to use Trumpstarter to bring back Trump Steaks

Let's make this happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyONt_ZH_aw

quantum_squirrel posted:

But the Trumpstarter page is really high quality as seen on their Category list:

Yeah I noticed the Hopes and Dreams. That's exactly what crowdfunding needs, is to encourage more unique snowflakery

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 00:41 on May 10, 2013

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Alan Smithee posted:

Let's make this happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyONt_ZH_aw

Yeah I noticed the Hopes and Dreams. That's exactly what crowdfunding needs, is to encourage more unique snowflakery

My hope is to wish Donald Trump and his hair into the cornfield. Please, give generously so that we can make this happen.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
The world is not ready for this.

The Holster for iPad Mini and more!

Bring back gaming like it was in the 90s!

The BlockTV™ Virtualguide

I think i'm still going to need a rundown on this one though

MUST SEE!!! The Secrets the Universe Revealed! This is huge!

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

My jaw dropped during the video for this. What in the gently caress was that??? I have no idea what the product was, the animation thing that took up 80% of the video made no sense (and was unbelievably poorly done), and to top it all off, "It's not just gamging." Holy poo poo.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

What about a Trumpstarter to bring back Billy Beer?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bvoid posted:

My jaw dropped during the video for this. What in the gently caress was that??? I have no idea what the product was, the animation thing that took up 80% of the video made no sense (and was unbelievably poorly done), and to top it all off, "It's not just gamging." Holy poo poo.

So, it's like...gamefaqs.com? :confused:

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I was distracted by the second comment on the article that was far worse than anything she said
"Before Anita, I never touhght about punching a woman. This is my second time.

Fogive me Professor Layton, but that’s what any gentleman would do."

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

cool biRd pics posted:

I think i'm still going to need a rundown on this one though

MUST SEE!!! The Secrets the Universe Revealed! This is huge!

The update for this one is o_O..it's one huge wall of text.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/245908185/extraordinary-album-ancient-secrets-sharako-528hz/posts

edit: not a wrist band, but an actual band.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

bomblol posted:

I was distracted by the second comment on the article that was far worse than anything she said
"Before Anita, I never touhght about punching a woman. This is my second time.

Fogive me Professor Layton, but that’s what any gentleman would do."

An empty threat of violence made by an impotent neckbeard is far worse than selling your own children up the river to scam people out of money?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

The leather holster I use to carry my 1911 pistol, which costs 4x what an ipad costs, is only $40. Think about that.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

StevenM posted:

An empty threat of violence made by an impotent neckbeard is far worse than selling your own children up the river to scam people out of money?

I'm not at all fond of the project either, and it's definitely lovely how she used her children but it's getting a little old to hear about people whining about how any wealthy people running kickstarters ever makes them scammers for not doing it out of pocket.

And yes, a comment that belies the awful status quo of folks on the internet and in gamer circles is as bad as (not all the actions of, which I never said) a single angry comment left by an insane corporate soccer mom.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
That's not really the point, is it? This woman isn't crowdfunding a project to make a product or work of art or whatever. The "project" is nothing more than "make a symbolic stand against sexism," but the goal is to make other people pay to send her daughter to a summer camp, and literally the only obstacle to that goal is that the mother would rather pay for it with other people's money. She's selling charitable feelings to people who think they're helping a little girl overcome adversity that she isn't actually facing. If she weren't rich, that wouldn't be the case. But because she is rich, the backers are contributing in no way to the actual cause being marketed to them in the kickstarter, so the intangible rewards are total snake oil bullshit. Even the one tangible return on investment is purely symbolic - none of those backers put up money because they actually wanted to buy a game they nothing about except that it will be designed by a preteen over a couple of weeks.

She's marketing a "give me cash for no reason" drive as a charity case. It's a scam. That's the problem.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
We should make a Trumpstarter to protect the habitats of this caterpillar.

Seriously, look at it go, it's adorable. :3:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

StevenM posted:

Casual, "ironic" threats of violence towards women for just about every perceived slight, usually backed up with a sarcastic remark about how getting assaulted for being unpleasant is "equal rights", is a symptom of a societal illness. She's just one person doing a shady Kickstarter.

Ulillillia's sister tried to make a Kickstarter in her brother's name to get rent money/promote her psychic readings. It has since been cancelled but you can find the original pitch (and other posts by his sister pimping it) on the web if you poke around.

quote:

Pledge $1 or more

0 backers

Pledge $1 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a video shout-out!

Estimated delivery: May 2013
Pledge $10 or more

0 backers

Pledge $10 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free 9-Card Tarot Reading from his psychic sister, Serenity Blue ($30.00 Value), as well as a shout-out in the game credits.

Pledge $20 or more

0 backers Limited (200 of 200 left)

Pledge $20 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters" poster! Please note: a $7 fee for shipping outside the US is required

Add $7 to ship outside the US
Pledge $20 or more

Pledge $20 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed "Platform Masters" poster! Please note: a $7 fee for shipping outside the US is required

Pledge $30 or more

Pledge $30 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed copy of Ulillillia's book, "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters". Please note: a $7 fee for shipping outside the US is required

Pledge $50 or more

0 backers Limited (10 of 10 left)

Pledge $50 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed "Platform Masters" poster AND a copy of the Platform Masters video game (when it becomes available)! Please note: a $10 fee for shipping outside the US is required. The poster will be sent before the game's release.

Estimated delivery: Dec 2016
Add $10 to ship outside the US
Pledge $80 or more

0 backers Limited (10 of 10 left)

Pledge $50 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed "Platform Masters" poster, an autographed copy of Ulillillia's book "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters," AND a copy of the Platform Masters video game (when it becomes available)! Please note: a $10 fee for shipping outside the US is required. The poster and book will be sent before the game's release.

Estimated delivery: Dec 2016
Add $10 to ship outside the US

Now the rewards just say:

quote:

Well, I tried to talk Ulillillia into it, but he's adamant about the game not needing any money; just time. So he is forcing me to take the Kickstarter project down. T_T

I would totally pledge for a real Uli kickstarter, but how gross do you have to be to exploit one of the internet's most lovable mentally ill people for cash?

John Videogames
Jun 11, 2007

This tree is going
up your butt.

quote:

Well, I tried to talk Ulillillia into it, but he's adamant about the game not needing any money; just time. So he is forcing me to take the Kickstarter project down. T_T

And that's the difference between Ulillillia and Chris-chan. They're like the good and bad sides of the loony coin.

ED: Tortured grammar which said exactly the opposite of what I wanted to say.

John Videogames has a new favorite as of 14:38 on May 10, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You best watch your loving back, talking about Ulillillia like that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Chris chan made a KS?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/551129138/energy-hook-0

A KS with a $1 goal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 14:14 on May 10, 2013

John Videogames
Jun 11, 2007

This tree is going
up your butt.

If the CWC made a Kickstarter it would probably have a 200,000 million goal and hundreds of RANDOMLY capitalized WORDS about why his Kickstarter is the BEST thing to HAPPEN ever and why you should give him money. Ulillillia is nobler than that.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Ulillillia's sister tried to make a Kickstarter in her brother's name to get rent money/promote her psychic readings. It has since been cancelled but you can find the original pitch (and other posts by his sister pimping it) on the web if you poke around.

His sister's offer doesn't interest me, but I would pay through the nose to get a personalized psychic reading from Ulillillia himself.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

People are reacting really negatively to this $1 goal, and I can see why, but I think it comes out of naïveté on this guy's part more than anything (the video isn't exactly professional stuff in general). Still, it seems like he has a pretty cool project with a lot of work put in already?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I would totally pledge for a real Uli kickstarter, but how gross do you have to be to exploit one of the internet's most lovable mentally ill people for cash?
He doesn't need money for it, but he's planning to sell it for $34.99 ($39.99 for the deluxe version) when it's completed.

He'd probably get more revenue Kickstarting it for half that amount. Unless I'm seriously underestimating the number of people prepared to drop $40 on a 2D platformer (admittedly one with a ridiculous amount of attention to detail on the parallax).

John Videogames
Jun 11, 2007

This tree is going
up your butt.
I wonder how is it possible that Robert "Bob" Pelloni hasn't discovered KS yet. I want Yuu to pay for my game.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

POINDEXTRE posted:

People are reacting really negatively to this $1 goal, and I can see why, but I think it comes out of naïveté on this guy's part more than anything (the video isn't exactly professional stuff in general). Still, it seems like he has a pretty cool project with a lot of work put in already?
Naivete would be setting an MMO goal at $10,000. This guy clearly understands that a $1 is equivalent to flexible funding.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Orzo posted:

Naivete would be setting an MMO goal at $10,000. This guy clearly understands that a $1 is equivalent to flexible funding.

I think he meant that this guy is more naïve to the fact that people would not really be okay with the $1 fake flex fund thing. I don't think the poster you're quoting thought this guy was so naïve he thought his game would cost a dollar to make.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Kickstarter seems to have an abundance of dice kickstarters, which all seem to get confusingly large amounts of money. Unless there's some huge dice collector market I happen to be unaware of, I'm not sure who is chucking this much money at dice.

Bloodnose posted:

They're for D&D and other tabletop gaming nerds, duh.

I carry my dice bag everywhere I go, just in case I need to throw down. This includes my set of Dwarven metal dice that I got in a Traditional Games Secret Santa one year.

Gamers love interesting dice and especially ones that are made out of interesting things. I've seen dice for sale made out of the bones of wooly mammoths. But now I can't find them so maybe they sold out or shut down after being revealed to be a scam.

Eeeeexcept... those are all, ALL of them, only for D6s. :doh: You're right that gamers love dice and there's a huge niche market there that will buy lots of crap (myself included), but they ruined that because I already have more D6s than I need, and I don't want a set of matching D6s that don't match any of my other dice, that'd just look wrong. Show me some D10 action and we're in business (White Wolf D10 ftw), and ideally you'd have D20, D8, D12 and D4 ready to go.

Who the gently caress wants a set of artistically created D6s? Pro Monopoly Gamers? :confused:

So ironically they could all probably be making tons more money.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:05 on May 10, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Kickstarter seems to have an abundance of dice kickstarters, which all seem to get confusingly large amounts of money. Unless there's some huge dice collector market I happen to be unaware of, I'm not sure who is chucking this much money at dice.

That second kickstarter you linked is a horrible idea. In the event the link ever goes dead, the kickstarter is for dice made of wood. Wood is not an internally homogeneous substance, so those dice will roll idiosyncratically.

In English, the dice won't roll randomly. They'll have some numbers they favour and some numbers that rarely come up, because wood has variable density and other little things that are part of being a naturally forming substance, that make it a terrible material to make dice out of.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orzo posted:

I know this isn't the point you were making, but even $10M USD is naivete when it comes to MMOs. And like, nobody seems to get that. I worked firsthand on an MMORPG that burned through millions and millions rolling our own engine. In the end we had some really impressive tech, some awesome art assets, and no game. Its practically impossible to predict how long and how expensive its going to actually be. Games like SWTOR ended up sinking like over half a decade of development and like some absurd $200M in development costs alone.

$10M looks great on paper but when you're making an MMORPG you go through absurdly fast. Not many MMO engines are for sale (most are in-house and proprietary) so you'll likely have to roll your own, which means hiring an engineering team and spending years refining the technology and nailing down the gameplay model you're going for. Those few engines which are for sale and aren't poo poo cost a bloody fortune in licensing fees, and then you still have to hire artists and engineers and writers. And that doesn't even begin to mention the back-end infrastructure, the support, maintenence, etc. that is involved in an MMO.

A friend of mine is really excited for that RvR MMORPG by the Dark age of camelot guys, and he won't believe me that there's no loving way in hell they'll deliver half the features they listed on that budget. No loving way. :colbert:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Eeeeexcept... those are all, ALL of them, only for D6s.

This kickstarter is apparently for all kinds of weird dice going from D14 to D30. And while I can't envision any game that uses these sorts of dice, someone will probably invent some way to use them.

The funny part of the Kickstarter is an image they apparently got to show an example of a game that uses the dice. Looks like a child spent twenty minutes making a mock-up box of some stupid game idea they had in Microsoft Publisher. Probably what this is, honestly.

Way to put your best foot forward there, guys!

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

DStecks posted:

That second kickstarter you linked is a horrible idea. In the event the link ever goes dead, the kickstarter is for dice made of wood. Wood is not an internally homogeneous substance, so those dice will roll idiosyncratically.

In English, the dice won't roll randomly. They'll have some numbers they favour and some numbers that rarely come up, because wood has variable density and other little things that are part of being a naturally forming substance, that make it a terrible material to make dice out of.

Not to mention they look like poo poo, judging by the pictures he posted.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

quantum_squirrel posted:

Already posted:

And can someone help me decipher this thing: [ulr=http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/1183#]I am a Highly Spiritual Person trapped in an Abusive Relationshiphttp://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/1183#sthash.KUKZ7vdJ.dpuf[/url]
Server, lady, there is no crowdfunding which could replace that. (Ok, the funding ended like 9 months ago, 185 $ made of the 5000 $ goal, she moved out, but it is so full of batshit insanity)

No idea, but I'm only finding one Katie Long in Williamsport, PA, and, as of January, she's running a dairy farm with her husband. Does FundAnything verify the identity of the poster? I'd be a bit pissed if that was the fifth result for "my name my city" on Google.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

bvoid posted:

Not to mention they look like poo poo, judging by the pictures he posted.

I actually think they look pretty nice, especially if you'd be doing a more straight-medieval low-magic campaign, but the internal variance of the wood will skew the rolls, and that doesn't even account for the total impossibility of machining wood symmetrically by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006
Behold the next gaming revolution on Kickstarter
Neko Cleaning Service

But what will it be?

quote:

Neko Cleaning Service is about three cat girls who run a house cleaning service. However, lately the business has not been doing so well so they must use their skills to turn things around and quickly.... My game will redefine time management games by incorporating new challenges and game play styles. Neko Cleaning service will have your standard time management elements similar to Nanny Mania 2, but it will also challenge the player with puzzle and tycoon elements to keep a player on their toes
Here is her offical design document:

Features posted:

• Anime art style
  • Cat girls
  • Anime art style
  • Hidden object mini game
  • Memory match mini game
  • Unlockable artwork
  • Upgradeable equipment
  • Buyable in game items

Oh, and she is also offering it on Facebook, so she need massive servers etc. for management.
And if you are not aware, she is not a programmer, she is hiring an Indian development studio http://zatun.com/ and the Kickstarter is to pay for this.
At least her pitch doesn't feature blurry webcam picture and lovely mic, as she has no webcam and mic, so she recorded it on her MP3 player.