Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ugh so shameful confession time

i backed a kickstarter for some lucid dreaming sleep masks made by this dude

estimated delivery was october and it's just been a comedy of errors since then because he is a bullshit ~maker~ who still apparently doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing even after making those dumb glasses and the tv-b-gone

october

quote:

Unfortunately, several issues (with the packaging, with the memory foam tooling, with the new circuit boards, with ) set us back about 2 weeks. And then I found out last week that I need to have FCC testing for NeuroDreamer sleep masks.

december

quote:

I have good news and not-so-good news. The good news is that we are now finished manufacturing the NeuroDreamer sleep masks. The not-so-good news is that I'm still waiting on FCC testing, and finalized artwork for the packaging and User's Manuals -- so it is looking unlikely that I'll be able to get your NeuroDreamer sleep masks to you before Christmas time.

january

quote:

Everything is now finished with the NeuroDreamer sleep masks, except the artwork for the packaging, and the User's Manual, and final assembly into the packaging.

After the boxes and User's Manuals are printed, which will take about a week, then all of the first batch of units will be assembled at my manufacturer in Shanghai, and we'll ship the units to my order fulfillment center in New Jersey, where they will be shipped to all of you. (Yay.)

february

quote:

This is embarrassing (and frustrating), but I missed the deadline to get the boxes and User's Manuals printed before Chinese New Year's. (Big ugh.)
... So, it is now looking like we'll have NeuroDreamer sleep masks ready to ship in mid-March.

march

quote:

I just spoke with my manufacturer via Skype.

The printer will start printing User's Manuals in a few days.

My manufacturer will ship me a production NeuroDreamer sleep mask, complete in a box, and get my approval before shipping everything out. I will receive this while the User Manuals are being printed. I've already approved a pre-production sample, so this production unit should be totally fine. Assuming it is totally fine, then the first batch of NeuroDreamer sleep masks will be ready to ship from China on 23-March.

may

quote:

Hello Backers!

I am very sorry for the long delay in putting out a long-overdue update. I finally have a computer I can use (for a little while) after having mine stolen at the beginning of my trip. For this entire trip (and I'm still traveling), I've had only my phone for internet -- and it hung every time I tried to log into Kickstarter). Very frustrating for me -- but probably not as frustrating as it must have been for all of you not hearing about your investments. I apologize for causing you frustration.

The main reason (of several) for the delay was a bug that was found upon final testing before packaging the units (two days after I started to travel). My friend Bill (who did all of the firmware programming for the NeuroDreamer) has been tracking down the bug since. He just fixed the bug yesterday. All of the units we've tried with this new firmware work great. Bill is doing one more day of rigorous testing just to be sure all is good.

(Another reason for delay was the printing company we used for the User's Manuals. While most printers in the West take high-res PDF files as input, the printing company that my manufacturer uses in China takes primarily Corel Draw CDR files. When they converted our high-res PDF files into CDR, the sample User's Manuals they printed for us looked awful. It took awhile, but we worked out how to create a file format that gave high-quality results. (We ended up converting each page into individual Adobe Illustrator AI files, which was a pain, but it worked.) )

I am now going through the very tedious process of re-creating the spreadsheet of who gets which Kickstarter rewards where. I have a complete backup of my computer at home, but I won't be home for awhile, and I want to send you your rewards as soon as possible. I will be done with the spreadsheet today.

It will take my manufacturer a few days to re-program all of the NeuroDreamer sleep masks with the new firmware. After that, all of the units will be shipped out via DHL to everyone, direct from China. After I get home, I will email everyone their DHL tracking number.

If you have a new address, please email me on Kickstarter with your updated address.

Thanks again for your patience in all this. You will have your NeuroDreamer sleep mask soon!

Best,

Mitch.

and just today i stumble across another kickstarter for pretty much the exact same thing, except that it's better in pretty much every possible way (including the most important one - it actually shipped)

talk about owned

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
while the small ziplocks are overpriced, they have to be conductive for the screen to work

can you already do that with a ziplock?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

yes because it doesn't need to be conductive if the finger is still close enough

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Werthog 95 posted:

ugh so shameful confession time

i backed a kickstarter for some lucid dreaming sleep masks made by this dude

estimated delivery was october and it's just been a comedy of errors since then because he is a bullshit ~maker~ who still apparently doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing even after making those dumb glasses and the tv-b-gone

october

december

january

february

march

may

and just today i stumble across another kickstarter for pretty much the exact same thing, except that it's better in pretty much every possible way (including the most important one - it actually shipped)

talk about owned

:pcgaming:

Dec 26, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

i backed a kickstarter

talk about owned

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Resplendent Spiral posted:

yes because it doesn't need to be conductive if the finger is still close enough

then holy loly

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
Donald Trump started a Kickstarter ripoff

http://www.fundanything.com/en

lmao

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Olivil posted:

then holy loly

there are also tons of waterproof packs for phones that will ALSO clamp the opening closed tight + float in water.

The ziploc will not be watertight and will not float. :v:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

MindSet posted:

lmao

i like how it tries to stop you from leaving the page but the code doesn't work right

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

same

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MindSet posted:

lmao

set one up to buy a billboard facing Trump Tower that says "Barack Obama was born in Hawaii you idiot racists"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

set one up to buy a billboard facing Trump Tower that says "Barack Obama was born in Hawaii you idiot racists"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Olivil posted:

while the small ziplocks are overpriced, they have to be conductive for the screen to work

can you already do that with a ziplock?

ive used a completely normal ziploc bag over my phone a few times when jogging and at the beach with no issues.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

qirex posted:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

there are also tons of waterproof packs for phones that will ALSO clamp the opening closed tight + float in water.

The ziploc will not be watertight and will not float. :v:

i have an ipad bag that i can take diving or use in the tub/shower

feels good man

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

the only competent thing commodore did in the 90's

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

they'd probably have died around 2003 no matter what

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
apparently you can just waltz off with your funds from fundanything.com, no goal-reaching required. literally a paypal donate button but trump takes a slice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

as i understand it it's on the same basis as any venture capital investment - if the project being invested in spends the money legitimately on the project and it still fails then welp, that's too bad. if they just spend the money on hookers and blow then there's a legitimate lawsuit there, but kickstarter are no more responsible for it than the printers of a prospectus for an IPO are.

(where it gets complex is with the investor reward stuff - a lot of projects are basically retailing their as-yet-nonexistent product through kickstarter and that puts them in a whole new world of hurt, legally speaking, which might be why kickstarter are cracking down on that now)

i don't think this is the case. this is very explicitly not any kind of investment. if it were an investment, it would be an SEC-regulated security and illegal as gently caress to sell it to normal people

it's also not a retail store

as far as i can tell the only liability is the contract you signed with the kickstarter company. donors also only have a relationship with kickstarter. if you walk the gently caress away, who's going to sue you? kickstarter inc?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

oh cool thats what got them to sell a full 100,000 units before commodore collapsed right

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

MindSet posted:

lmao

this happens when you try to leave the page

classy.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also, this one actually looks pretty neat

quote:

Beginning in the early 17th century, artists routinely used optical aids to help them create realistic drawings. Lenses and mirrors were the "cutting edge technology" of their day (and sometimes, the trade secret) for making life-like images. In 1807, Sir William Hyde Wollaston invented the Camera Lucida—and brought life-drawing to a whole new level. Wollaston's device was simple: a prism on an adjustable stand. When an artist looks down through the prism, they see the world in front of them, plus their hand on the page, combined in perfect superimposition.

In short, a camera lucida allows you to trace what you see. And it does so in full daylight; there's no need for a dark shroud or box, as with a Camera Obscura. And that is the magic of the camera lucida: it's portable, easy to use, and—with a little practice—you just copy the world onto your page with a confident hand.

By the mid-1800s, camera lucidas were everywhere. Indeed, the device is so effective in assisting accurate life-drawing that, according to the controversial Hockney-Falco hypothesis, it's now believed that many of the most admired drawings of the 19th Century, such as the Neoclassical portraits of Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, could only have been made with a camera lucida. This becomes astonishingly clear if you try one—an experience we hope to share with as many people as possible, through this Kickstarter.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

classy.

i want to sit that guy down and talk to him about conspicuous consumption

he's really bad at it

all having a bunch of money he didn't earn but also to stupid to do anything impressive with it

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm still waiting for my cyberdwarf body pillow >:(

Not anymore

Could someone recommend a pillow for this tyvm

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

they'd probably have died around 2003 no matter what

but that would have given me 10 more years :qq:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think this is the case. this is very explicitly not any kind of investment. if it were an investment, it would be an SEC-regulated security and illegal as gently caress to sell it to normal people

it's also not a retail store

as far as i can tell the only liability is the contract you signed with the kickstarter company. donors also only have a relationship with kickstarter. if you walk the gently caress away, who's going to sue you? kickstarter inc?

hence why i specified a venture-capital investment (although that might have a different connotation in the us than in the uk, iunno - i mean in the same vein as angel investors in the theatre and cinema, not in the sense of someone buying into an IPO)

there's almost no regulation on that form of investment, it's assumed that you're doing due diligence and are aware of the risks.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Not anymore

Could someone recommend a pillow for this tyvm

target, probs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah i think i remember getting one of those big dumbass pillows at target once. it's now a cat bed

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Werthog 95 posted:

yeah i think i remember getting one of those big dumbass pillows at target once. it's now a cat bed

I don't think I've ever bought a pillow or blanket that didn't turn into a cat bed

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

one of my cats stole my beanbag

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

one of my cats peed on my beanbag

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

classy.

lol wandows 8 (my balls)

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

duTrieux. posted:

also, this one actually looks pretty neat

this really is neat

not for the lazy photo tracing bullshit they advertise, but for inking your lines w/o using a clunky huge lightbox

u could also ink lines that are actually larger/smaller than the final image

cool.

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
i just realized that i totally misunderstood the concept

i thought the thimg would project a digital image onto the paper

somebody pls invent that instead tia

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

i just realized that i totally misunderstood the concept

i thought the thimg would project a digital image onto the paper

somebody pls invent that instead tia

they have, it's called a projector.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

MindSet posted:

lmao

create a campaign and you might WIN!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
you guys realize that trump didn't really make that terrible site right?

it was made by these guys http://www.crowdfundinternational.com/CFI/Crowdfund_Int.html who either licensed out trump's likeliness or just stole it

it's based out of utah which is like the festering rear end in a top hat of lovely hosting and online ventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
eh it's funny either way

• Locked thread