Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Better link for the MN marriage debate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Bg_rO0PpY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

What's the status of the legislation in Illinois?

The House has until May 31 (when Assembly adjourns) to vote on it, and then it's too late.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Sweeney Tom posted:

The House has until May 31 (when Assembly adjourns) to vote on it, and then it's too late.

What are the odds that they will actually move on the legislation? Wikipedia says the Illinois House has a 71-47 Democrat to Republican split and the Illinois Senate is 40-19, but is there a lot of Blue Dog-types that make the odds pretty long to see anything done in the next three weeks?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

What are the odds that they will actually move on the legislation? Wikipedia says the Illinois House has a 71-47 Democrat to Republican split and the Illinois Senate is 40-19, but is there a lot of Blue Dog-types that make the odds pretty long to see anything done in the next three weeks?

The reason they've taken so long is the Speaker, like the Speaker in Minnesota, won't call a hearing until he knows they have enough votes to pass it. In Minnesota, that was extremely easy. Considering that in Illinois it's their last stop before it's legal, and they need something like 60 guaranteed votes, it's easier said than done.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They've had something in the low to mid 50s for about 2 months now.
It's hard to believe they can't just buy the last handful of votes.

Hopefully falling behind Minnesota will shame them into action.

If it fails you should still have complete confidence in the state lawsuit, but that could take another year or two to wind through the courts.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Assuming that SCOTUS doesn't hand down some sort of sweeping ruling in the near future, I wonder if there will ever come to a point where NOM throws in the towel. It would be hilarious to see NOM still claiming that the public opposes gay marriage when it's legal everywhere except for Mississippi.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Another tribe just legalized it too. They're the 3rd tribe to do so. Yay!

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/05/08/3001329/suquamish-among-3-tribes-in-nation.html

quote:

Scholars note that before their introduction to Christianity, many tribes accepted their gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender members as “two spirits,” even giving them added respect because they were thought to have special powers

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Now we get to rub it in California's face, also we don't have to take as much crap from Iowa!

Hey, we legalised it first. We just forgot to say "No take backs."

:smith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Assuming that SCOTUS doesn't hand down some sort of sweeping ruling in the near future, I wonder if there will ever come to a point where NOM throws in the towel. It would be hilarious to see NOM still claiming that the public opposes gay marriage when it's legal everywhere except for Mississippi.

They're still claiming it even though even every poll says the majority of the population supports it.

I think they'll finally self-destruct once Texas legalizes it.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

Sefer posted:

Hey, we legalised it first. We just forgot to say "No take backs."

:smith:

In conclusion gently caress the mormon church.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sweeney Tom posted:

They're still claiming it even though even every poll says the majority of the population supports it.

I think they'll finally self-destruct once Texas legalizes it.

Well some Texan judge did just say they can wave tons of bible quotes around sports again, so they're still a ways away from the 21st century.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So my question is, which state will be the very last to legalize same-sex marriage? I live in Georgia so I'm going to say Georgia.

(I'm aware that in reality a bunch of states will probably tie for last when we get a nationwide ruling)

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Slate Action posted:

So my question is, which state will be the very last to legalize same-sex marriage? I live in Georgia so I'm going to say Georgia.

(I'm aware that in reality a bunch of states will probably tie for last when we get a nationwide ruling)

A bunch at the same time in a supreme court at some point in the future, in the same vein as Lawrence vs Texas.

Edit: Either I don't read posts or maybe you edited your post between when I read your post and clicked quote

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 10, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slate Action posted:

Mississippi. It's always Mississippi.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Mississippi. It's always Mississippi.

Alabama :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Van5 posted:

Alabama :colbert:

Oklahoma

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mississippi only needs public support to fix their constitution. Alabama would also require the legislature.

I think Idaho and Utah are strong bets unless the LDS Church has a revelation.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Mississippi only needs public support to fix their constitution. Alabama would also require the legislature.

I think Idaho and Utah are strong bets unless the LDS Church has a revelation.

The Mormons have been slowly and quietly moving away from being extremely anti-gay for a few years now. A large chunk of their church(especially the young) are pro-gay marriage, and the LDS church is really good at jumping on board the equality train to prevent membership losses(as late as humanly possible of course).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

effectual posted:

Another tribe just legalized it too. They're the 3rd tribe to do so. Yay!

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/05/08/3001329/suquamish-among-3-tribes-in-nation.html

That's fantastic. I remember hearing an interview on NPR where a tribal spokesperson of that Michigan tribe who recently legalized it said something to the effect of "we didn't have a problem with them until you forced your religion on us :smug:"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Former Florida Governor Charlie Crist announced his support for marriage equality today.

Charlie Crist posted:

Some great news: On Tuesday, Delaware became the 11th state to allow marriage equality. And just a few days ago, Rhode Island adopted a similar measure, which followed victories last fall in Maine, Maryland and Washington. I most certainly support marriage equality in Florida and look forward to the day it happens here.

In other news, Ohio's Democratic party endorsed marriage equality and the repeal of the state's gay marriage ban today. In an email to supporters, the party asked, “Isn’t it time that we make Ohio the 12th state to embrace equality?” a reference to the recent passage of a marriage bill in Delaware. The organization also unveiled a fundraising campaign revolving around the issue.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Sweeney Tom posted:

“Isn’t it time that we make Ohio the 12th state to embrace equality?”
Minnesota will beat you, but hey, you can at least accept being that oh-so-lucky number 13! :haw:

(By the by, what was the 7th state to legalize marriage equality?)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Generally speaking, can you bundle together one piece of legislation to amend the state Constitution to allow same sex marriage again and then pass it into law or does it have to be a 2 step process or what?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Gen. Ripper posted:

Minnesota will beat you, but hey, you can at least accept being that oh-so-lucky number 13! :haw:

(By the by, what was the 7th state to legalize marriage equality?)

Washington.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Generally speaking, can you bundle together one piece of legislation to amend the state Constitution to allow same sex marriage again and then pass it into law or does it have to be a 2 step process or what?

Probably at the least a two step process as IIRC most states with a constitutional ban also have it as against state law. You aren't going to be able to amend the constitution and law in the same step.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 10, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

greatn posted:

Oklahoma

South Carolina :clint:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Washington.

Probably at the least a two step process as IIRC most states with a constitutional ban also have it as against state law. You aren't going to be able to amend the constitution and law in the same step.
The constitution has supremacy so they only need to replace the marriage language in the constitution and they're good to go. It's not a pure repeal and later statutory change.

This is the amendment proposed for Oregon in 2014. (It is surprisingly hard to find in a useful format so it's an image instead of text)

e: Nevada is also working on a similar amendment. For what it's worth, it did start as a pure repeal and the legalization of same sex marriage was added later.

quote:

RESOLVED BY THE SENATE AND ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF NEVADA JOINTLY, That Section 21 of Article 1 of the Nevada Constitution be amended to read as follows:

Sec: Sec. 21.Limitation on recognition
Recognition of marriage.
Only a marriage between a male and female person shall be recognized and given effect in this state.

1. The State of Nevada and its political subdivisions shall recognize marriages and issue marriage licenses to
couples, regardless of gender.

2. Religious organizations and clergy have the right to refuse to solemnize a marriage and no person has the right to make any claim against a religious organization or clergy for such a refusal.

3. All legally valid marriages shall be treated equally under the law.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 10, 2013

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Yessssssss, this is fantastic! :cheers: When this becomes law on Aug. 1, gonna make so much cash officiating gay marriages!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Illinois Governor Quinn today demanded the House vote on and pass the marriage equality bill before the session ends May 31. A source told the Chicago Phoenix the bill has 58 votes guaranteed; it needs 60 to pass.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Sweeney Tom posted:

Illinois Governor Quinn today demanded the House vote on and pass the marriage equality bill before the session ends May 31. A source told the Chicago Phoenix the bill has 58 votes guaranteed; it needs 60 to pass.

A state rep is most likely waiting to be the last holdout. Then they'll have got this thing and itll be loving golden, and, uh, they're not giving it up for loving nothing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Peggy Scott crying like a little baby "This isn't what we should be doing right now." I absolutely love this mealy mouthed GOP claim that this session was supposed to be about the Budget and nothing but the Budget. Well then maybe you shitheads shouldn't have spent your time last year fighting for an anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment!

We do have an every-two-years budget process here. So generally odd-numbered years are focused on doing the budget, since we have a fun clause in the state constitution that shuts down most of the government if they don't pass one.

However, consider that Question 1 was passed by the legislature before we got to vote on it. And it was passed in the legislature in 2011. And 2011 is an odd-numbered year. That's right, folks: Peggy Scott voted for an anti gay marriage bill during a budget year. You can't make this stuff up.

quote:

In short, we all need to thank the MNGOP for loving up so badly at constitutionally banning gay marriage that they actually got it legalized.

Even if you leave out the incompetence of the state GOP, this is Minnesota in a nutshell. It makes more sense when you consider some of our other qualities: we elected The Body and Stuart Smalley to statewide office, our old anti-video-game law fined the underage kid buying the game instead of the store selling it, and we have a state statute that literally says "it is not illegal to be drunk in public".

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Any state that can send both Al Franken and Michelle Bachmann to Congress is unusual, to say the least.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Minnesota marriage equality progress is even better if only for how Michelle Bachmann must be reacting to it all.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Sweeney Tom posted:

The Minnesota marriage equality progress is even better if only for how Michelle Bachmann must be reacting to it all.

Is there a big enough forest in Minnesota that she can hide behind?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Sweeney Tom posted:

Probably something like this

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ThirdPartyView posted:

Is there a big enough forest in Minnesota that she can hide behind?

Amused to Death posted:

Probably something like this

For those who aren't familiar: back when Bachmann was a state legislator, she decided to scope out a pro-equality rally at the Capitol. This pic is of her, hiding behind some bushes. She claims she was getting a rock out of her shoe, but either way it's probably the funniest picture MN politics has produced in at least the past decade.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Lutha Mahtin posted:

For those who aren't familiar: back when Bachmann was a state legislator, she decided to scope out a pro-equality rally at the Capitol. This pic is of her, hiding behind some bushes. She claims she was getting a rock out of her shoe, but either way it's probably the funniest picture MN politics has produced in at least the past decade.

I thought she claimed she was tying her laces? Also Franken is in the Senate where Bachmann is in the House, AND she only barely won with loving dumptruck loads of out of state money. IIRC she spent something like 6x the money of her opponent and still only won by a narrow margin as an incumbent.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought she claimed she was tying her laces? Also Franken is in the Senate where Bachmann is in the House, AND she only barely won with loving dumptruck loads of out of state money. IIRC she spent something like 6x the money of her opponent and still only won by a narrow margin as an incumbent.
And her district is gerrymandered to hell and back, hopefully she'll be gone in two years. I'm holding out hope that gay marriage being legalized here will convince a lot of the bigots that Minnesota is a lost cause, and they'll pack up and leave for real this time.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

And her district is gerrymandered to hell and back, hopefully she'll be gone in two years. I'm holding out hope that gay marriage being legalized here will convince a lot of the bigots that Minnesota is a lost cause, and they'll pack up and leave for real this time.

Bachmann will hold on to the bitter end, and then demand a recount. Short of Dorothy splashing a bucket of water in her face, I can't imagine ever being rid of that horrible woman.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I know the discussion in this thread has moved to Minnesota now, but here's a nice political cartoon I found relating to the victory in Delaware.

(That's supposed to be the State Flag, for those who were unfamiliar)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I don't know if it's been posted yet, but Philly has passed some pretty good poo poo (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/LGBT-Gender-Neutral-Restrooms-206932591.html). Though the title of the article is about gender neutral restrooms, that's far from the only thing it does. In a state controlled by regressive politicians that use gerrymandering to ignore the wishes of its citizens, the city of Philadelphia has begun offering tax credits to businesses that afford the same protections and rights to the partners of LGBT folks that it does to heterosexual spouses; and has made discriminating against the transgendered a thing of the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Phobeste posted:

made discriminating against the transgendered a thing of the past.

I would genuinely love to see one city on this planet where that is true.

• Locked thread