Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StinkingWolf
Jul 23, 2001
Morally Bankrupt

Ozu posted:

The Darril Gibson Sec+ book is really fantastic...

I took the test, and passed, this morning. That book covers everything pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone have the CCDA / CCDP? Were they worth taking? I already have my NP so it would only be 2 tests to acquire both..

mim
Apr 25, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Sadly, that's pretty much been standard for the SQL exam texts. The SQL 2008 MCITP:DBA book MS Press put out was a terrible rush job that never got updated (yet still took forever to come out), and they didn't even bother to write anything covering the second exam.

We recommended people on our team pick up the 2005 books, then just techneting the 'whats new' articles for 2008. The 2008 books were that bad. At least it looks like the 2012 will be consistent?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The guy who wrote the SQL 2012 book also wrote the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 T-SQL fundamentals, the companion book. (Technically, the book you should read before starting the certification route)

That book has far less technical errors and it goes over the same stuff.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

Feeling this pain. I have to take my 3rd shot at it soon.

You had a go at this yet?

I am sitting on friday, the test exams that came with the book are showing me as just scraping by with a pass score but I know the real deal is harder. I have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't pass.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

quicksand posted:

Passed the Project+ exam with an 871/900.. so many words I'll never use ever again.

WGU student? How was this test? I have my 70-680 next, and then Project+ is the last cert exam I need to take for my degree. I'm hoping it's as easy as all the other CompTIA stuff I've done.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

WGU student? How was this test? I have my 70-680 next, and then Project+ is the last cert exam I need to take for my degree. I'm hoping it's as easy as all the other CompTIA stuff I've done.

I passed it for WGU. It's almost a vocabulary exam. If you know what the words mean, you'll pass the test. If you have great test taking skills it'll be even easier as most questions it's obvious which answers are completely incorrect.

That said I did find value in studying for the exam, put some of it to use in my day job.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sepist posted:

Anyone have the CCDA / CCDP? Were they worth taking? I already have my NP so it would only be 2 tests to acquire both..

I took DA to renew my NA and it was an easy exam, but it is mostly based around theory, so just be prepared to memorize building networks the Cisco way.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I'll be taking the first MS boot camp (20336) for Lync 2013 deployment next week in Minnesota, it's my first intense boot camp as well as my first MS cert. I'm a little intimidated, but next month in Chicago I'm already booked into the 20337 Enterprise voice boot camp as well. I will try to provide some useful info here about the course, though I don't know how helpful my assessment of the content and presentation will be. I'm really not sure what to expect, but they've already messaged everyone (CCed, too, so I know who all of them are...) and said flatly "don't plan on leaving early on Friday." I picked up Lync 2013 Unleashed yesterday and I've been brushing up on my Powershell, but there's just no time for "personal" development these days when in the office.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Anyone here ever take the wireshark certification (WCNA)? I've been thinking about doing it just because it's something different.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Work is requiring me to take CISSP, is there a ton of overlap with Security+?

Guys at work are telling me CISSP is harder, but I'm wondering if getting both would be worth it/easy once I got CISSP.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

Work is requiring me to take CISSP, is there a ton of overlap with Security+?

Guys at work are telling me CISSP is harder, but I'm wondering if getting both would be worth it/easy once I got CISSP.

Going for Sec+ after getting a CISSP would be like going for a GED after getting your doctorate.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

stubblyhead posted:

Going for Sec+ after getting a CISSP would be like going for a GED after getting your doctorate.

Unless you want Government work, I suppose. A lot of them require an S+.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

^^
It's actually for government work, they require me to get either Sec+ or CISSP.

stubblyhead posted:

Good to know.

Just saw the requirement of five years of full time work experience which means I'd only be able to get Associate at the moment.

Is associate CISSP still drastically better than Sec+ on a resume?

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 9, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DGK2000 posted:

Unless you want Government work, I suppose. A lot of them require an S+.

I'm relatively sure that cissp satisfies the same federal requirement.

CoronaX
May 28, 2009
I have some down time this summer from school while still working full time doing admin type stuff. Any recommendations on certifications I could do in the 3 months that actually mean something? I kinda wanted to do the Red Hat certifications ones but we don't use it at the place I work at and I am not sure if the corporate world views it something that is good or useless.

CoronaX fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 9, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Red Hat certs (particularly RHCE) are basically the only legit Linux certs. They're definitely respected and included in job postings.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Gah, I just got a phone call from Prometric telling me that I will need to re-schedule my exam because the testing center is having issues and won't be able to do my exam tomorrow.
I'm on holidays next week, which means I'm going to have to wait until the week after to do the exam, I just want to get it over and done with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

I'm relatively sure that cissp satisfies the same federal requirement.

It does. Sec+ is pretty much the bare minimum you can get away with. As your position changes, the requirements get harder.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Passed 70-410 today, 968/1000. I don't know if its cool to link exam dumps here or not but that's basically what I used. In addition to CBT Nuggets which now I think I just watch because I hate myself.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jmu posted:

Passed 70-410 today, 968/1000. I don't know if its cool to link exam dumps here or not but that's basically what I used. In addition to CBT Nuggets which now I think I just watch because I hate myself.

Why did you use a dump? You just negate the value behind the cert...

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Corvettefisher posted:

Why did you use a dump? You just negate the value behind the cert...

Not sure if you're being serious or not. Actually learning about Server 2012 (or any of the other exam objectives with MS) is not going to help you pass the exam. I watch and follow along to CBT Nuggets to learn about the objectives but to pass I use a dump. MS exams are full of gotchas and half-correct answers, and questions that have correct answers and then "Microsoft correct" answers. I'm pretty sure I would lose my mind trying to read the press books and/or TechNet in order to actually pass. I have a job, I can only devote so much time to certs.

Basically what I'm saying is that with MS learning and passing the exam are mutually exclusive.

Oh and one other note. A long time ago I bought and read cover to cover a press book for Windows 2000(I think). I studied all the material and took MS practice tests. I completely failed the exam. I'm not wasting my time with their official methods again.

jmu fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 9, 2013

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can see that. Someone using a brain dump cert to con their way into a job is much different than someone using a cert as supplement to their normal job and partial experience. Of course if you use a dump, get a job, and can't do it you'll get fired pretty quick so it works out in the end.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 9, 2013

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

SaltLick posted:

I can see that. Someone using a brain dump cert to con their way into a they job is much different than someone using a cert as supplement to their normal job and partial experience. Of course if you use a dump, get a job, and can't do it you'll get fired pretty quick so it works out in the end.

The only issue that could arise is if people passing with dumps end up getting fired often enough that the certs start to lose their appeal to HR departments. Although I doubt that would ever happen.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Yeah I probably over-reacted there. I'm so stuck in my perspective as an established IT person I don't think about a student taking these before getting out into the real world or someone lacking experience that wants to show their ready for a position higher up.

I do think that the official prep methods are not good, at least not in a practical sense. I mean the "Optional training" MS recommends is something like 2500 bucks. I don't trust the Pressbooks and TechNet is cool when I need to know how to do X but to actually prep for an exam? I wish MS had virtual labs and tested on the ability to do x, y and z in those. That would be awesome.

Anyway I'm going to try trainsignal.com for 70-411. I do actually want to learn this stuff in addition to getting the cert.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jmu posted:

Not sure if you're being serious or not. Actually learning about Server 2012 (or any of the other exam objectives with MS) is not going to help you pass the exam. I watch and follow along to CBT Nuggets to learn about the objectives but to pass I use a dump. MS exams are full of gotchas and half-correct answers, and questions that have correct answers and then "Microsoft correct" answers. I'm pretty sure I would lose my mind trying to read the press books and/or TechNet in order to actually pass. I have a job, I can only devote so much time to certs.

Basically what I'm saying is that with MS learning and passing the exam are mutually exclusive.

Oh and one other note. A long time ago I bought and read cover to cover a press book for Windows 2000(I think). I studied all the material and took MS practice tests. I completely failed the exam. I'm not wasting my time with their official methods again.

gently caress you. Seriously.

I am sure a lot of people have different rationalization for cheating and defrauding the system. Lets keep it out of this thread.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I guess I can see where you are coming from but I have just met too many vcps who did just that, which followed up as them looking like an idiot in the interview. It's good you studied additionally, a lot don't do that. But still I try to separate myself from anything like that. My thing is if I didn't reseqch the blueprint and objectives enough I don't desirve the cert.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the format for the current Network+ exam? I tried some searching, but only found practice test stuff.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Sickening posted:

gently caress you. Seriously.

I am sure a lot of people have different rationalization for cheating and defrauding the system. Lets keep it out of this thread.

Yeah.. see my post after that.

I should also mention my boss expects us technicians to get these certs in our own free time. He's offered to pay for some "training resources" but that just means practice exam sites. So maybe he should have different expectations for us in terms of what's practical if we wanted to stay on the straight and narrow while also working 40-50 hours a week. I just don't think there's an official option that doesn't involve a huge investment of time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Let's just stop talking about it in this thread. They're out there, some people use them, some don't whatever. They're frowned upon here and we don't discuss them in this thread.

Moving on.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Just passed my A+ exams :toot:

The 802 felt much harder than the 801 and I definitely missed more questions on it, but somehow my score was higher. The weighting on these tests sure is strange.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Proposed getting some certs to my boss in my performance review (VCP, MCSE:Server and one I just discovered, MCTP:Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager). I know it will never happen because we have no training budget (and my direct supervisor thinks certs are worthless, but that's another issue), and I even told him that I knew the department would never pay for them, but this goes in my permanent employee file, so now it's there in stone that I requested this training. Whatever good that will do me.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Failed my 685 today. Expected as much because I've been going through some health stuff lately, but did better than expected. Thank goodness for 2nd shot, and got my retake scheduled for the 30th.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Just passed my Network+ today. 80 questions, the first four or five were scenarios, which I did worse on than the rest of the exam. I blame my lack of experience.

SilentGeek
Jul 24, 2011

hooah posted:

Just passed my Network+ today. 80 questions, the first four or five were scenarios, which I did worse on than the rest of the exam. I blame my lack of experience.

How did you study for the exam, if you don't mind me asking. I'm studying for that one next, but I'm not sure what I should use. So far I've only bought the non-deluxe Sybex book.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SilentGeek posted:

How did you study for the exam, if you don't mind me asking. I'm studying for that one next, but I'm not sure what I should use. So far I've only bought the non-deluxe Sybex book.

I got the regular Sybex/Lammle study guide, the lab book (which I didn't use at all), then watched all the lectures on the federal video training environment site (fed-vte), since I could get access to that through work. I took notes on all the chapters, taking the end-of-chapter quizzes. After watching the videos, I went back and took each quiz again, then re-read my notes and re-took the quiz.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
If I want to pick up a CCNA inside the next few months, aside from the books recommend is there a good software option outside of gns3? I saw cll mentioned on the first page but I'm not sure if anything has changed in the last few months.

I'm not green to networking fundamentals, I just don't work with any particular vendor routinely. Our customers use whatever they feel like so I see everything from checkpoint to palo alto to brocade to whatever in a given day and spend a lot of my time working out sip issues. The cert would mostly be resume polish and satisfy some hr requirements.

SilentGeek
Jul 24, 2011

hooah posted:

I got the regular Sybex/Lammle study guide, the lab book (which I didn't use at all), then watched all the lectures on the federal video training environment site (fed-vte), since I could get access to that through work. I took notes on all the chapters, taking the end-of-chapter quizzes. After watching the videos, I went back and took each quiz again, then re-read my notes and re-took the quiz.

Sounds similar to my studying strategy for the A+ exams. I don't have access to those videos though. I guess I'll try out the CBT Nuggets.

CoronaX
May 28, 2009
Has the RHCE changed a lot in the past years? I got some old books printed in 2006 from my brother and would like to know if these are okay to study and read or has Red Hat changed that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Decided to take CCNA wireless since new job wants me to do a ton with wireless. I didnt know jack about wireless, but have been working on it a lot past couple months and really hitting the books. Have to say this was the worst Cisco exam I've taken so far. Also, first cert test I've ever failed. I wasn't even close to passing after 90+ hours of book study. This is the first time I've been in an exam where I knew the answer to the question, yet couldn't pick the correct multiple choice answer. I could have written an essay on the answer, but still wasn't good enough to decode the answer I was supposed to select from the insanely confusing choices. Every question was "What is the name of device driven on highways", you'd be looking for "car", but no you have to choose "horseless carriage". Also loving awesome when there is like 10+ questions that are not covered in the books or exam criteria. Had questions about the capabilities of wireless NICs in different Ipad and Iphone models, like holy poo poo! Why would I have that memorized? I realize theyre super prevalent now, but if youre gonna ask questions like that maybe a heads up that I should memorize this somewhere in the exam criteria or official books?

I know this is mostly a bitch post, but I had to vent. Never felt like I got tricked before even when doing NP exams. Gonna retake it next week. SPeaking of that, when did they raise the price for these tests from $150 to $250? This stuff is getting absolutely out of hand now.