Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yea I don't think you, as a non student, are going to be able to use student health services.

http://hcs.calpoly.edu/

I assume this is you, yes?

How about calling right now and asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Yea I don't think you, as a non student, are going to be able to use student health services.

http://hcs.calpoly.edu/

I assume this is you, yes?

How about calling right now and asking?
Yeah, that's me. I'll call now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If student health services won't help you, here's where you go next.

http://www.slocounty.ca.gov/health/mentalhealthservices.htm

San Luis Obispo County mental health services. This is going to take time; expect that. You'll get an appointment to see a doctor, and when you see the doctor he or she will determine if you need mental health services. Call them now.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't have work tomorrow. I'm going to school to the health center to see a doctor. Once I get diagnosed officially with ADD, I can seek medication and other treatment. The main reason why I'm dragging my feat is that I'm unsure of the cost. Nobody in my family, including myself, has health insurance. I might still be able to seek resources from Cal Poly for free but I'm not sure. I'll go in tomorrow and find out.
It's an emergency fund, more than anything. I've been receiving regular letters from my lender about the principal and the interest but I haven't revived payment slips yet. Now that I have work, I can use my nest egg to start making payments and have something to put back in. I'll contact my lender about a payment plan soon.

Oh and by the way: Target offers health, dental, and visual after a thousand hours. So I have an extra incentive to stay with them.

Consider getting a diagnoses an emergency Benny. You will have those loans for years to come but if you can't even hold down a job now because of your ADHD or autism then what good is having that money? You're not setting yourself up to succeed you're setting yourself up to fail. Get your health in order now so you can hold down a job and make money to pay those loans off.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

When you do get an appointment to see a physician, make it clear to them that you don't have prescription coverage so they won't start you off with something that's $300 for 30 pills. Call around your local pharmacies to find the one that offers you the lowest price. If it's hard getting to pharmacies because of transportation, ask if they can deliver your meds to your house.

I can help you with this if you need it.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Spicy Chili posted:

You're playing Tetris with people's loving groceries and poo poo. Please, please, please get your ADD treated. I'd expect my 5 year old to do something like that. And he is on medication.

Your 5 year old is on ADHD medication? Holy poo poo. What the hell kind of ADHD medication is approved for 5 year olds?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cda posted:

Your 5 year old is on ADHD medication? Holy poo poo. What the hell kind of ADHD medication is approved for 5 year olds?

It's been like that for a while. I started ADD meds at six.

Benny, I urge you to get tested for ADD and also goddamn get therapy. This stuff is 1. not hard to figure out, so stop overthinking it and 2. not difficult to focus on, so get help with your attention issues.

Also don't do this "okay guys I'll try and stop overthinking" stuff, that's not much better than "okay whatever". Do something rather than say something. Think in thoughts, not words.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay I called Cal Poly Pomona health services: health care is only available there for enrolled students.

Are there free or cheap resources out there? There's a few free clinics in the area, but I'm wondering for something specific as a psychological diagnosis.

Spicy Chili posted:

You're playing Tetris with people's loving groceries and poo poo. Please, please, please get your ADD treated. I'd expect my 5 year old to do something like that. And he is on medication.
It's a family joke. I'm not literally spinning them around, I'm just grouping like items together.

Oh and by the way: work was good. No mistakes. I'm both a janitor and a cart attendant at the same time. I can't complain.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 9, 2013

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

You could look into income based clinics. A Arsenic Lupin above mentioned mental health resources. Did you miss that post?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Please read the posts people are making - and we can't do everything for you, you have to have even a shred of drive. Why don't you google your zip code and free clinic?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Thirty seconds and I'm on my loving phone - http://www.freemedicalsearch.org/cit/ca-san_luis_obispo

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm Cal Poly Pomona, not Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. But yeah, I get the picture. I'll look into free medical services in my area immediately.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Go here. Fill in your details.

http://www.claremontconnect.com/intake.html

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I just called City of Chino to request mental health services. $5 a session-I can swing that. I left my name and my number and the receptionist said I'd get a callback in about three to five business days.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Benny the Snake posted:

I just called City of Chino to request mental health services. $5 a session-I can swing that. I left my name and my number and the receptionist said I'd get a callback in about three to five business days.

Good job.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

Make sure you keep on top of things and give them a call if you don't hear from them after 3 days or so.
Chances are public health services in your area are overloaded. Calling in periodically and making it clear that you are willing to come in on short notice if there is a cancellation can literally save months of waiting.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I discussed my decision with my Dad. I've been wrong all this time: I've never been diagnosed with ADD. In fact, my teacher in grade school suggested to my parents to have me checked by a doctor but they never did. "Boys will be boys" was what my Dad believed in and he still thinks that I don't have a mental problem.

Frankly I'm just mad. My teacher could see something that Dad ignored which could of saved me a lot of trouble. It was all well and good when I was kid but now that I'm an adult and I need to become independent I need to know if I do have a mental issue or not.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 10, 2013

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
Have a glass of wine.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Odd, one would think not having any memories of going through the process would be a decent enough indicator. Part of me knows better than to ask this but since it is now known that you never went to get a diagnosis, exactly what life event was leading you to believe that did happen. In other words, what event was the reason you spent so long believing you were given this diagnosis. Or is fabricating memories a common occurrence in your life?

Comrade Black
Dec 5, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Frankly I'm just mad. My teacher could see something that Dad ignored which could of saved me a lot of trouble. It was all well and good when I was kid but now that I'm an adult and I need to become independent I need to know if I do have a mental issue or not.

Honestly, don't worry so much about what should've happened. Instead, focus on getting whatever it is that's wrong with you treated and moving forward. You won't get anywhere by being angry and it might screw you up somewhere, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dr. Lariat posted:

Odd, one would think not having any memories of going through the process would be a decent enough indicator. Part of me knows better than to ask this but since it is now known that you never went to get a diagnosis, exactly what life event was leading you to believe that did happen. In other words, what event was the reason you spent so long believing you were given this diagnosis. Or is fabricating memories a common occurrence in your life?
Well I remember people talking about Attention Deficit Disorder and indicating that I had it. I remember my pediatrician talking to my Mom how I may have ADD. I don't remember specifically being diagnosed or seeing a psychologist about it. Most of it is self-informed. I could never focus in class. I was always jittery. I could never sit still, I was always fidgeting. Hell, even now it persists to where it's difficult to focus on one task at a time. But I won't know officially until I'm diagnosed.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 10, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

Hell, even now it persists to where it's difficult to focus on one task at a time. But I won't know offici

Not sure if joke or actually that agitated. :ohdear:

e: I know it's easy to blame your parents for poo poo that's wrong with you now, but don't fall into that trap-- it won't actually help you. Just keep on with what you're doing, go to the doctor, make life easier for yourself, and get out of dodge asap.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Benny the Snake posted:

Well I remember people talking about Attention Deficit Disorder and indicating that I had it. I remember my pediatrician talking to my Mom how I may have ADD. I don't remember specifically being diagnosed or seeing a psychologist about it. Most of it is self-informed. I could never focus in class. I was always jittery. I could never sit still, I was always fidgeting. Hell, even now it persists to where it's difficult to focus on one task at a time. But I won't know officially until I'm diagnosed.

Your parents did you a huge disservice.

I'm not a doctor but it seems like a pretty clear case. You have to concentrate super hard to bag groceries and can only make cursory eye contact with other people while doing so. This is not normal and there are meds that can help.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dr. Lariat posted:

If you don't know what "the process" is supposed to be, it isn't at all odd that a kid wouldn't realize they hadn't been through it. Plus if the diagnosis was supposed to have been when he was young, memories can be wonky for little kids. My first 1st grade teacher thought I might be retarded, so they gave me the big IQ test that takes 2 days, and when it showed that I wasn't retarded at all my mom moved me to a new school -- I don't remember any of that anymore.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey guys. Here's a quick update. The City of Chino hasn't called me yet. Today's the fifth day so I'll call tomorrow about psychological services. Target's good. I'm actually gotten better at front end: I've even managed to sell two redcards on Mother's day which was my first time working at the register unsupervised. A guy working parking lot quit, so I've been picking up his shifts. My graduation ceremony is on Father's Day, so I'll have something to look forward to come June :unsmith: I haven't scheduled a day off, since I've been so absorbed in finding work that everything has been pushed out.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Graduation ceremony... for what?

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
BSc .. Bachelor of Shopping carts

Shark Attack! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 16, 2013

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Sounds like a fancy way of saying the end of his 90 day probationary period.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Graduating from Cal Poly Pomona

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Sounds like a fancy way of saying he finished college in december like he said he did and is going to have a graduation ceremony that weekend.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Sigma-X posted:

Sounds like a fancy way of saying he finished college in december like he said he did and is going to have a graduation ceremony that weekend.
That's what I said. The graduation ceremony (robe, hat, etc.) for all majors happens in spring quarter.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Sigma-X posted:

Oops. I am the best at reading comprehension.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Benny the Snake posted:

That's what I said. The graduation ceremony (robe, hat, etc.) for all majors happens in spring quarter.

Did you graduate from hogwarts?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

InEscape posted:

Did you graduate from hogwarts?

I wore a robe and that stupid square hat for my Bachelor's. No I didn't get accepted to Hogwarts :argh:

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Whoa, you went to Cal Poly for English :wth: everyone I know that went there did something involving engineering or computers and stuff. You're the first English major I know of from there!!!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I just got a call back from the City of Chino. The mental health care facility is a training one. While they can provide treatment, they cannot provide a diagnosis. so I'll have to search elsewhere. I was given a referral, thankfully. I'll plan this for later once I can figure out a day that I don't have work and figure out how much it'll cost.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You know how you find out how much it costs? By calling the clinic they referred you to.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Corn Thongs posted:

Whoa, you went to Cal Poly for English :wth: everyone I know that went there did something involving engineering or computers and stuff. You're the first English major I know of from there!!!

The SLO campus has a really good journalism program and I know several people who went there for that or an English degree. I have no idea about Pomona though.

Just wanted to say congrats to OP for getting a job. This thread has been a real jaw dropper for me. I also want to urge you to keep on with looking into your ADHD. If you do have it, then diagnosis and treatment could really turn things around for you. Just call the number they gave you and find out when they have appointments available and what the costs are. You don't have to make an appointment right then, you can call back again after you know your schedule.

I

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Lowly posted:

The SLO campus has a really good journalism program and I know several people who went there for that or an English degree. I have no idea about Pomona though.
Other than engineering it has a pretty rad hospitality management program. It's a weird thing to be good at, but it's one of the best in the country so I imagine you wouldn't end up managing a Motel 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutzack
Sep 5, 2003

by T. Finninho
I don't mean to make waves but last night I had insomnia, and instead of grabbing my ereader and catching up on what I am currently reading, I read this entire thread.

Though my life is much different now, I can, in some ways, empathize with the OP. Not only have I been suffering with all of the poo poo and horror attached to panic disorder, PTSD, and depression, my 2nd major was in English Literature. My college experience was severely disrupted by this. For example, one semester, I was the student I wanted to be and all seemed well. Then, the symptoms from my illnesses cropped up and I would have to take a medical withdrawal.

Not a soul I my life could make heads or tails of these disruptions, so I lost not only those with whom I had been friends for years, my girlfriend told me to hit the bricks. The most frustrating thing of all, I was in total compliance with my therapeutic and med regimes. During all of this, I was awarded a fellowship in order to flesh-out a thesis for a Bachelor's of Philosophy through the honors college. I took the advice of those around me and accepted the fellowship for that summer, and to this day, I am tortured with knowing that I should have listened to my gut and refused the award. Not being qble to follow through with that affected me greatly, and I learned firsthand just how people respond when they you simply burned a bridge out of laziness. I know now that I did the best I could in a terrifying situation, but pangs of guilt still surface over how those who supported me discarded me as a worthless, lazy person.

After that maelstrom, I took some time off from school and worked on myself. I saw a private psychiatrist during that time, and while it was a heavy expense that I would not recommend for everyone, I was able to receive the care for which I had been desperately seeking. I am not symptom-free today, but waking up to face the day is no longer a terrifying experience, and for that, I am grateful-- not everyone, even those who put their utmost all into recovering from these types of disorders, gets a chance to experience life with the decibal level of their illness turned down to the point that happiness, the occasional bout of it, can be a very real thing. Again, in that regard, even while I lost an unquantifiable amount my life during that period, I can be happy.

So when I started reading this thread, I was touched that people were supportive of BtS.

This gives me hope in that people who do not suffer from these types of disorders where still able to be supportive and offer help. I needed that when my life, seemingly, was spiralling downwards, and even though I did not receive support or understanding when I needed it most-- I am glad that BtS did.

I do hope that BtS is on the right track and addresses his issues in a therapeutic/psychiatric setting. I thought I was lost and broken. Turns out, I am not that bad off. And to reititerate, I am grateful for that notion, and that means everything to me. I am moving forward with my life, and so can Billy. Hopefully, he does not have to lose more in his life prior to seeking out the help that he needs.

Edit: ohhhh this keypad...

Nutzack fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 22, 2013

• Locked thread