Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Oh my God the borders. Ottoman enclaves in Bosnia, Serbia and Greece, Germany's sliver through the alps into Italy, Serbia's strip through Bulgaria to the black sea, French landlocked SE Africa, America's incursion into Mexico...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Patter Song posted:

Finally finished my Arabia game to 1936.

Due to the Brits' incompetence, I was prevented from taking Spanish Morocco and French Algiers (they were leading my war and while I was kicking rear end in North Africa and against the Turks, they were having Edinburgh and Glasgow sacked by French soldiers who walked across the Channel).

I finished at #9...the GPs were USA, Germany, Britain, France, Japan, China, Australia, and Netherlands. Standout countries were Ukraine (singlehandedly beat the USSR in a war), Colombia (successfully taking on the USA in a defensive war when the game ended), and of course Germany. Italy had its day in the sun, but it lost a big war to Germany, which now has an Adriatic port in Venice. Standout loser of the game is Russia/USSR, which is a vacant wasteland with a population on par with Austria.

I assume from your borders it was Egypt->Arabia? I've always had this fascination with forming Arabia from one of the nations on the peninsula but I can never handle the boredom of playing old-world nations with such small populations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

I assume from your borders it was Egypt->Arabia? I've always had this fascination with forming Arabia from one of the nations on the peninsula but I can never handle the boredom of playing old-world nations with such small populations.

Nejd-Arabia. I only conquered Egypt around 1910. (Forming Arabia as Nejd gives you cores on every province with the core of an Arab country, including Oman's African colonies)

EDIT: The worst thing about Nejd is that you have such terrible manpower that your brigades don't reinforce when you take losses. As a result, my army sucked even after I conquered Oman, Yemen, Abu Dhabi, and Hedjaz. It was only after I took Egypt that I became a powerhouse, and then it was a race against the clock to get as much of the Maghreb as I could before the game ended.

By the way, there really should be Tripoli cores on that stretch of Libyan coastline the Ottomans start out with so that if Arabia forms it gets cores on that. It was so frustrating to have this uncored stretch of North African coastline.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 10, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, so should I (I'm also Japan) release Korea as a dominion, then? I've refrained from doing so thus far because I'm pretty sure I remember reading on here that if there's a successful coup/revolution in your country, your puppets get released, or something along those lines.

People are recommending releasing countries as dominions because doing so reduces your infamy. You conquer a country for the RP bonus, then release as a dominion to reduce your infamy a bit so you can conquer more, just for the additional RP.

At least, that's in the context of Japan specifically. Releasing countries as dominions also has its use as far as reducing the number of colonial points tied up in maintenance.

Major Isoor posted:

Oh hey, just noticed that Pride of Nations is no longer purchasable on the Steam store. Why's that? Was it just really buggy like Legends of Pegasus or something, and was pulled from the store? (I haven't really kept up to date with its status, but I was contemplating that a while back when it was first released, but decided not to get it at that point, since it seemed too similar to V2, which I've already got. Which might explain why I don't have a clue why it's unavailable) Or have they run out of keys for it, so have just pulled it temporarily, or something?

Paradox and the AGEOD devs had a falling out. PON (by now, after so many patches) is a stable game from a technical standpoint, but the gameplay just isn't that good: Every other AGEOD game has been a war-focused strategy game with sometimes just enough economic aspects to model the training and construction of new units. PON added a full Victoria-style economy, but the interface really sucks at letting you work through it.

The real indictment though are the turn processing times: Imagine playing the timeline of Victoria, and 1 turn is 15 days, and then it takes 2-4 minutes to process a single turn.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

Paradox and the AGEOD devs had a falling out. PON (by now, after so many patches) is a stable game from a technical standpoint, but the gameplay just isn't that good: Every other AGEOD game has been a war-focused strategy game with sometimes just enough economic aspects to model the training and construction of new units. PON added a full Victoria-style economy, but the interface really sucks at letting you work through it.

If they had made PoN as a standalone wargame with a bunch of great, detailed scenarios, like Kitchener's march to Omdurman, Wolseley's Ashanti campaign, or the Taiping rebellion, it would have been a great game. The scenarios it ships with are OK, but some are only a dozen turns each. More meaty, years long campaigns were needed.

Anyway, it's $25 on Matrix now so I guess they will never sell another copy of it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

People are recommending releasing countries as dominions because doing so reduces your infamy. You conquer a country for the RP bonus, then release as a dominion to reduce your infamy a bit so you can conquer more, just for the additional RP.

At least, that's in the context of Japan specifically. Releasing countries as dominions also has its use as far as reducing the number of colonial points tied up in maintenance.

The real indictment though are the turn processing times: Imagine playing the timeline of Victoria, and 1 turn is 15 days, and then it takes 2-4 minutes to process a single turn.

Hm, alright then, well I guess if I'm a bit strained for colonial points, I'll release them, but I don't think I need the lowered infamy (in order to conquer more lands) at this point, since isn't the main reason for doing this as Japan - at least at the start - to fast-track your westernization? And I've already westernized, so that's not really an issue at this point. (although, I am interested in colonizing the rest of Borneo and possibly other pacific islands like Wake, so I might end up releasing Korea later on anyway)

And ok yeah, looks like I might've made the right call sticking with Vic2 then I guess, heh. Pity that they pulled it from Steam though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

If they had made PoN as a standalone wargame with a bunch of great, detailed scenarios, like Kitchener's march to Omdurman, Wolseley's Ashanti campaign, or the Taiping rebellion, it would have been a great game. The scenarios it ships with are OK, but some are only a dozen turns each. More meaty, years long campaigns were needed.

Anyway, it's $25 on Matrix now so I guess they will never sell another copy of it.

Yeah the most fun I had with PON was playing the short scenarios, and the ACW and Spanish-American War DLCs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mind you, this doesn't matter for countries you conquer before westernizing, as they're not colonies. And keeping Korea around is pretty good as it doesn't reduce your literacy that much (You go from 40ish to 32ish) and Pyongyang is an insane state for factories. 2xIron and 2xCoal is hard to beat.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah the most fun I had with PON was playing the short scenarios, and the ACW and Spanish-American War DLCs.

Where's my Age of Rifles remake?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

There is in fact an event that should get a state towards your culture

code:
#Colonial Recruitment
country_event = {
	id = 14680
	title = "EVTNAME14680"
	desc = "EVTDESC14680"
	picture = "emigration"

trigger = {
		colonial_nation = yes
		invention = mission_to_civilize
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {	
		months = 700
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			average_consciousness = 4
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			average_consciousness = 5
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			NOT = {
				average_consciousness = 4
			}
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA14680"
		random_state = {
			limit = {
				is_colonial = yes
			}
			any_owned = {
				add_province_modifier = {
					name = colonial_recruitment
					duration = 7300
				}
			}
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB14680"
		random_state = {
			limit = {
				is_colonial = no
			}
			any_owned = {
				add_province_modifier = {
					name = baby_boom
					duration = 1825
				}
			}
		}
	}
}
One way you get a babyboom for 5 years in a home state for 1% pop growth, or the other is a LAND LIBERTY LABOR for 20 years and 1% pop growth in the colony and massive boost to assimilation rate.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
So I was durdling around in my China game, waiting for a truce to run out so I could conquer Johore for the last RPs I needed, and then the Heavenly Kingdom revolt happened. They had no units, so I sieged down everything and got 25k RP out of it because it seems to be based on population. Don't mind if I do.

China is absurd though, after I westernized, I had 100 battalions. My limit jumped to 758, which seems excessive. Oh, and being 3rd in Industry off the back of my single level 10 cloth factory in Beijing. I then queued up railroads in every province. The world is in a death spiral due to lack of steel and lumber. I reckon I'll be done with level 1 railroads in 5-10 years.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Cynic Jester posted:

So I was durdling around in my China game, waiting for a truce to run out so I could conquer Johore for the last RPs I needed, and then the Heavenly Kingdom revolt happened. They had no units, so I sieged down everything and got 25k RP out of it because it seems to be based on population. Don't mind if I do.

China is absurd though, after I westernized, I had 100 battalions. My limit jumped to 758, which seems excessive. Oh, and being 3rd in Industry off the back of my single level 10 cloth factory in Beijing. I then queued up railroads in every province. The world is in a death spiral due to lack of steel and lumber. I reckon I'll be done with level 1 railroads in 5-10 years.

Got HoD last night, tried playing Japan, couldn't build any ships due to absolutely no trade goods. (It would take several decades to finish one) Any suggestions?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Antinumeric posted:

Got HoD last night, tried playing Japan, couldn't build any ships due to absolutely no trade goods. (It would take several decades to finish one) Any suggestions?

Queue them up on day 1 and pray for the best. The first few years are terrible for clipper convoys. You should only need 6 or so to conquer the smaller nations around you.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

For whatever reason, I seem unable to install A House Divided or uninstall Pop Demand Mod. I deleted the Victoria folder in Program Files (x86) and tried reinstalling the game without any luck. There is probably something simple I am missing but I cannot figure out what that is. Are Victoria's programme files located in multiple locations?

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Paradox and the AGEOD devs had a falling out.

Thats a nice way to describe "not profitable and made redundant"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Grizzwold posted:

I don't know whether to be impressed or annoyed at how quickly your allies can desert you in this game. Fought one of the bloodies battles in the history of the world (100k v 200k is pretty drat big) to keep their capital out of enemy hands? gently caress you, ten years later they still want Elsass-Lothringen back, and call in my Russian allies (200 relations) on their side. I also can never get anyone to back me in a crisis because of "political concerns".

Related question: how do I get my capitalists to BUILD loving TANKS YOU DUMBASSES?

Set the focus to Automotive industry in a state which wants to build a factory, and cancel their planned factories over and over until they decide to build a tank factory.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Patter Song posted:

Finally finished my Arabia game to 1936.

I've noticed that Texas always seems to get some junk in the trunk in all my games too. Stop crossing the Rio Grande you yankee fucks :argh:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

pdxjohan posted:

Is that what also happened to your partnership with Slitherine Games years back?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

pdxjohan posted:

ahahahaha I love you Johan, never stop being catty.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fister Roboto posted:

I've noticed that Texas always seems to get some junk in the trunk in all my games too. Stop crossing the Rio Grande you yankee fucks :argh:

As the USA I always have to take Sonora, so I can have Baja California to aesthetically balance Florida.

I haven't been able to get into any of the AGEOD games, but I did like the army man pictures they always do that wound up in MotE. They would have been nice in EUIV. :3:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

As the USA I always have to take Sonora, so I can have Baja California to aesthetically balance Florida.

I haven't been able to get into any of the AGEOD games, but I did like the army man pictures they always do that wound up in MotE. They would have been nice in EUIV. :3:

I tried playing AGEOD's 'Revolution Under Siege' because I was desperate for a good game about the Russian Civil War, but I couldn't get into it. The concept was cool, but the interface was terrible, and the graphics, while pretty, were useless - there was no way to tell at a glance how large a particular army was or what kind of units it had in it, and the entire thing was in some kind of weird three-quarters isometric view instead of proper top-down. There were a shitload of buttons that didn't seem to actually do anything, both the tutorial and the manual were terrible at explaining anything beyond the most basic concepts, I wasn't able to figure out how to zoom out the map so I had to try and strategize for the entirety of Russia despite only being able to see a tiny sliver of it at any given time...it was just, frankly, not a very good game at all. It was stable and bug-free, but that alone doesn't make a game good. In hindsight I really regret the purchase.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I never played RUS but I did play their American Civil War game and Birth of America 2, I thought they were pretty cool. :shrug:
The WW1 game, which I think they published not developed, was pretty bad though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone know where the data for the random names of dominions is stored, and whether or not it's editable? It's a neat feature, but it's kind of silly to see, say, the USA creating the Kingdom of the Congo and the Democratic Peoples' Republic of the Western Sahara. It's completely random, and I think it should reflect the releasing nation's government.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Almost every time I release a dominion it turns from a nice democracy to a presidential dictatorship. I wish as the puppet-master or releaser I could like... give them a better constitution or something.

Also in the game I'm playing now the CSA, MEGACANADA, North Germany, and Mexico beat up the USA pretty bad and after the dust settled a useless patch of Mormon-infested desert emerged.

The very first thing Deseret did was instantly abandon democracy and become a presidential dictatorship ruled by the reactionary Mormon party. I love how shared states are "Mormon X" so they control their core state plus "mormon california"

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
How does assimilation in Vicky 2 work? The tooltip when you move over the culture doesn't tell you anything about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

James The 1st posted:

How does assimilation in Vicky 2 work? The tooltip when you move over the culture doesn't tell you anything about it.

Primary and accepted POPs never assimilate (obviously), and in order for non-accepted POPs to assimilate, there needs to be a primary or accepted POP in the same province (otherwise you'll just get a "no valid target" message). If you have a POP that meets those requirements, you'll see this tooltip:

Which basically means that you'll have terrible assimilation rates in the Old World, and POPs will never assimilate if they live in a province that has their culture's core (such as Albanians in Turkish-controlled Albania).

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Primary and accepted POPs never assimilate (obviously), and in order for non-accepted POPs to assimilate, there needs to be a primary or accepted POP in the same province (otherwise you'll just get a "no valid target" message). If you have a POP that meets those requirements, you'll see this tooltip:

Which basically means that you'll have terrible assimilation rates in the Old World, and POPs will never assimilate if they live in a province that has their culture's core (such as Albanians in Turkish-controlled Albania).

I seem to recall that, at least in NNM, Jewish POPs also assimilate much slower (to the point that they basically never assimilate at all), because without that modifier Judaism tended to go completely extinct by 1850 or so.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mister Bates posted:

I seem to recall that, at least in NNM, Jewish POPs also assimilate much slower (to the point that they basically never assimilate at all), because without that modifier Judaism tended to go completely extinct by 1850 or so.

In NNM Jews have their own culture group.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's Shephardic and Ashkenazi cultures in vanilla as well, although it's not actually tied to religion, so you can theoretically get Ashkenazi Shiites and such.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

pdxjohan posted:

Johan can you please force someone to write a tutorial AAR for HOI 3 with all the expansions. Then I promise you can be catty to Slitherine/Matrix all you want.

Just do this one thing. Free HOI3 for the peasants.

edit: Also to the guy making the Serbia mod, is there any way you can include not only the clay, but the serbjia killing of the horses. Thanks. My inspiration and hope is that you make your Serbia mod into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl_GFSjRESk

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 10, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So here's a fun fact I discovered while messing around with history files.

Workers and aristocrats get paid exactly the same amount of money per person based on RGO income. It's not something you ever notice because workers outnumber aristocrats by at least an order of magnitude, but here you can see that with equal POP sizes, they split the profits 50-50.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

The biggest problem is really that it requires 10-15 minutes just to start up, and another 2 minutes per turn. The game is really, really unoptimized.

But of course, it's lack of success is due only to Paradox's decision to sell it for cheap instead of asking $60 for it, which Wargamers need to feel like they made a good purchase. You have no one to blame but yourself Johan!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

The biggest problem is really that it requires 10-15 minutes just to start up, and another 2 minutes per turn. The game is really, really unoptimized.

But of course, it's lack of success is due only to Paradox's decision to sell it for cheap instead of asking $60 for it, which Wargamers need to feel like they made a good purchase. You have no one to blame but yourself Johan!

Wait, is that the actual logic that they used when breaking away from Paradox? They actually thought that the only reason their games weren't successful was because of they were too cheap? I what :psyduck:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fister Roboto posted:

Workers and aristocrats get paid exactly the same amount of money per person based on RGO income. It's not something you ever notice because workers outnumber aristocrats by at least an order of magnitude, but here you can see that with equal POP sizes, they split the profits 50-50.
Eh, isn't it more likely that the profits are split 50-50 between the two groups, then divided within the pops? Which in your case result in the same pay, but would usually mean aristocrats getting huge amounts of money compared to the workers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Don Gato posted:

Wait, is that the actual logic that they used when breaking away from Paradox? They actually thought that the only reason their games weren't successful was because of they were too cheap? I what :psyduck:

It's more that their game is so crap that they think discounting it won't add any sales.

Though they won't put it like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sounds realistic to me!
Although if you have no aristocrats in a province do the workers get 100%?

I wish we had more laws/social options to play with stuff like this. Like a land-reform that gives the land to the workers and aristocrats become capitalists or what ever. Or in a communist country getting rid of capitalists entirely and having their factory related functions replaced by bureaucrats or something. I just would love more control, even fluff-stuff.

And yeah, bad niche strategy games sell on the Japanese niche model. Which is: don't put any effort into optimization, interface, accessibility, just put all energy into your more core-market sperg desires. Charge a very high price because normal people won't want to buy this piece of poo poo but your dedicated sperg-niche will always buy it. It's better to sell 1000 games at $60 because the game is so unapproachable even if you lowered it to $20 you'd barely double your sales. They know there's no appeal beyond the core mega-spergs so they don't even try to market to them. It's a dead-end strategy because the core market demands more and more sperg with every new game which essentially blocks the following from ever really growing.

Paradox got the loving crazy idea to make niche sperg games but with decent presentation and interfaces allowing them to move way more units and make way more money despite a lower price.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 10, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Alchenar posted:

It's more that their game is so crap that they think discounting it won't add any sales.

Though they won't put it like that.

I would agree but Matrix do that with everything, even games that blatantly would sell well if they were a sane price (Distant Worlds).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Necroneocon posted:

Johan can you please force someone to write a tutorial AAR for HOI 3 with all the expansions. Then I promise you can be catty to Slitherine/Matrix all you want.

Just do this one thing. Free HOI3 for the peasants.

I have the best let's play of HOI3 right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LamgAfVj980

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Eh, isn't it more likely that the profits are split 50-50 between the two groups, then divided within the pops? Which in your case result in the same pay, but would usually mean aristocrats getting huge amounts of money compared to the workers.

I just tested it out with 2 million workers and 1 million aristocrats, and it seems you are correct! The RGO had an income of $224, and each POP got half of that, despite the aristocrat POP being half the size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also apparently, as you'd expect, government employee POPs receive a fixed salary per person based on your slider settings.

At 100% slider settings, the salaries are:
Soldiers - $0.69 for every 1000 people
Officers - $3.54 for every 1000 people
Clergy - $1.31 for every 1000 people
Bureaucrats - $3.59 for every 1000 people

But that's not all! Administrative efficiency factors into it as well. At lower than 100% efficiency, you'll see a discrepancy between the amount of money you're paying on the budget screen and your POPs' salaries. At 9.5% efficiency, I was paying $68.50 to my 10,000 bureaucrats, but their salary was only $35.93. The POPs don't keep that extra cash, it just completely vanishes from the system. At 0% efficiency, you're paying twice as much as you should be for your bureaucrats. The same holds true for clergy, but contrary to what I expected, not for soldiers and officers.

• Locked thread