Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I ride with 1 earbud and 1 earplug. I do this 3 times a day even for the 2 mile run to my MIL's for lunch. I've already got fairly severe hearing loss from riding for so long. I started using plugs about 3 years ago and the difference is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not sure what kind of bike you have, but on both of mine the 'cap' covers both the sealed tank opening and a drain ring for rain / washing water. There should be a drain hole that goes to a tube that dumps down near the bottom of the bike. That way if you open the cap after a rainstorm it doesn't dump a bunch of water into the tank. Worth a check to make sure this tube isn't clogged with some crap.

If it's the old-style screw-on cap then I have no idea, but hosing your bike down is going to cool it off so the tank is more likely to be sucking in air than blowing out fumes.

I have an 08 SV650. And it had been sitting in my garage all morning. Just took it out to wash it. Hadn't ridden it at all. I do see the drain tubes at the bottom of the bike so I guess I'll need to check those?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
If you're not sure what type of noise-reducing earplugs work best for you, there are sampler packs. Many find certain types of earplugs more comfortable than others.

If you are using the squishy foam plugs, there's also a technique to get the best fit and protection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nGO0qNTCd8

I personally prefer the Laser Lite plugs with the cord that makes them harder to lose. They work well with the Sena SMH10 bluetooth headset I have.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hot sauce posted:

I have a ninja 250 and it does this when it's cooling down. Can't offer much advice because I only bought it a few weeks ago, but from searching around on various forums it seems to be normal for this bike. It's actually pretty loud sometimes, like someone making a high pitched humming sound. What kind of bike is it?

Mine's a vulcan 500, the cruiser-cousin of the ninja :ninja:.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

hot sauce posted:

You guys wear earbuds every time you ride or just on longer rides?

edit: earplugs

Any time I'm riding over 35 mph so pretty much every time.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I am ashamed to say that I haven't taken a single trip this riding season. I have loads of time off from work, so I'm think I will take a couple days and go ride somewhere. This is where you goons come in: I have heard interesting things about that suspension bridge in Goldthwaite, Texas. It's a few hours ride from Dallas and seems interesting. Any of you guys have experience with central Texas riding? That or I might just head North To OK and cruise over to Arkansas again. I've been all through there, so it doesn't have the "new adventure" vibe, but it is some really nice riding.

Opinions?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I used to do plugs and in-helmet speakers, but my current setup is ear buds; I don't have the connector for my new speakers to a 3.5 jack. I'll eventually get it, though. Turning the music on a low volume and plugging my speakers into the 2-way, I've been able to have conversations above 70 fine. I can still hear the music but my brain focuses on whomever is talking.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
I have tinnitus too, from my time in the AF. I wear earplugs every time; I think it's safer, too. I can hear sirens; I can hear that car next to me on the freeway; all because most of the wind noise from my helmet is blocked.

Plus, it helps keep the tinnitus at bay. Several times in the past, I had noticed how much louder the whine of the tinnitus was after a ride (without earplugs); when I arrive home now from my hour on the freeway, I remove my earplugs and sure enough, although the tinnitus is there, it's no more loud / annoying than usual.

Yeah, that's subjective, and perhaps mostly "in my head", but hey it works.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

PadreScout posted:

I am ashamed to say that I haven't taken a single trip this riding season. I have loads of time off from work, so I'm think I will take a couple days and go ride somewhere. This is where you goons come in: I have heard interesting things about that suspension bridge in Goldthwaite, Texas. It's a few hours ride from Dallas and seems interesting. Any of you guys have experience with central Texas riding? That or I might just head North To OK and cruise over to Arkansas again. I've been all through there, so it doesn't have the "new adventure" vibe, but it is some really nice riding.

Opinions?

What area of DFW are you in? Most any route down to Glen Rose has a ton of country highways and roads with nice curves and dips, plus it's real pretty. If you don't mind slabbing it for a while, just taking 20 west into the Estacado tablelands is ha-mazingly pretty, especially now with rain(!!111 Dear god I hope we get an Indian summer this year) falling somewhat consistently and all the wildflowers blooming furiously. There's a crapload of little winding roads anywhere in farm country between Weatherford and Abilene too.

The elevation change from the high prairie where we're at and the Estacado in and of itself is worth riding for, whatever civil engineer designed 20's route must have been a motorcyclist or a big roller coaster fan. It's even fun to drive in my auto Ranger, the canting is perfect.

If you're thinking about heading north to OK and are a paleontology fan at all the Redbeds between TX and OK are chock full of some of the oldest vertebrate fossils in the world. If you can find a place that lets you access some of them, Dimetrodon and other proto-mammal synapsid teeth are supposed to be a dime a dozen in many areas. (It was the balmy southern coast of the North American continent until erosion from the now-plains areas and ancient mountain ranges in Canada started forming humongous mud/oyster flats, i.e. Texas)

You can use the elevation change graph on Google Maps' Distance Measurement tool to see what kind of ride a certain route is, too.

fake edit: I did not know about the hearing loss thing, time to get fitted for earplugs.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 10, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Earplugs and Earbuds talk.

Okay, so why don't you guys recommend or link to your preferred plugs or buds? I'd like a pair of earbuds, tell me what you use.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SB35 posted:

Okay, so why don't you guys recommend or link to your preferred plugs or buds? I'd like a pair of earbuds, tell me what you use.

Check out the Shure e2c's.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just buy the jars of the little 3M foamies, because I use them in the shop at work as well as on the bike, and I lose small things all the time. I think they reduce 30db which is about as good as it gets without something custom-made.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Check out the Shure e2c's.

Can anyone recommend a $100 or less pair of headphones? I don't quite have the disposable income and think I'd end up destroying them within months.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

SB35 posted:

Can anyone recommend a $100 or less pair of headphones? I don't quite have the disposable income and think I'd end up destroying them within months.

Couple HD friends that I have recommended skull candy earbuds. I just ordered a pair off eBay for $14 shipped. Cheap enough for me to give a try.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-X10-Noise-Isolating-Earphone/dp/B000WAHFBK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368153511&sr=8-2&keywords=klipsch+x10

I got those on special one day for 80 bucks shipped. They were fantastic but I accidentally destroyed them when I stepped on them while lifting up on my helmet. Rage.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I always wear either silicone ear buds or ear plugs.

I use these ear plugs: http://www.earplugsonline.com/

They're like a blue chunk of clay. If you try them, get the trial size off of amazon. Each chunk is big enough for two ear plugs, and they last a few months before they get too hard. Foam ear plugs apply a constant pressure to the ear canal, and make my ears sore. These take a bit of practice to get a good seal, but once you figure it out, they're great! You warm them up by rolling them around in your fingers, then press them into your ear canal. Since it's a clay consistency, it doesn't "spring" out against your ear canal. I find them way more comfortable on longer rides.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SB35 posted:

Etymotic MC5, or ER2s. <$100 and awesome. Good sound, really good noise reduction, and a whole baggie of tips come in the box, and a coupon for custom-fit tips.

I had some crappy Sonys and these are a world of difference. I even drilled through some decent foam plugs to put the Sonys in, and, while better, the Etymotics are still worlds ahead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My friend has bought a CX400 recently as his first bike. He's ok mechanically but doesn't know anything about bikes and I told him I'd help him. Initially the plan was to just take it to pieces and try to revive everything as best as possible, but now he's decided that while we're doing all this stuff we may as well try to tidy it up and customise it in some way. I know a hell of a lot more about modern (post-90) bikes than about late 70's antiques.

One of the things we want to do is ditch the front wheel and stick a smaller diameter wheel on the front, mainly for appearance. Is there any kind of reference or guide for what parts swap onto what bike? I'm certain some other bikes Honda made in the 70's/80's will have a smaller front wheel that would swap onto the cx forks, or alternatively forks that will swap onto the cx, but I have no idea how to go about finding this stuff out because the CX doesn't seem to be that popular a model.

Dual front discs would be nice too but as that involves finding forks off a 2-disc bike I'm not being optimistic about it. Are the master cylinders for the dual disc bikes different?

And ultimately is there much compatibility between brands? For example, would wheels off a Suzuki or something fit?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I get like whatever 20 dollar decent ear buds with a mic are at target or on amazon, because wind noise is going thru the wire and I have it run thru foam plugs anyways. Shure's are great buds but a bit overkill for the use I think.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

nsaP posted:

I get like whatever 20 dollar decent ear buds with a mic are at target or on amazon, because wind noise is going thru the wire and I have it run thru foam plugs anyways. Shure's are great buds but a bit overkill for the use I think.

I also run cheap buds, right now Philips SHE3580 which were about $15. No mic, though, since I don't talk to my phone. I'm using some rubber tri-flange tips from another set of cheap in-ear headphones (MEElectronics something) since they stay in and isolate better than the Philip's tips did. They sound just okay, and aren't as good at isolating noise as proper earplugs (I use disposable Howard Leights which are great) but they do well enough at both for my needs (scooter ridin' so all <60mph).

If I spent more on in-ears it'd be for better isolation and comfort, really, rather than better sound. I'm not exactly nitpicking the audio resolution when I'm riding.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Would it be in bad taste to ride my Indian on the Trail of Tears remembrance ride?

http://www.trailoftears-remembrance.org/

http://bcove.me/u5ziza9a

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SB35 posted:

For plugs, I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Plugs-Xtreme-Protection-14-Pair/dp/B001EPQ86A/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_y

...which are absolutely overkill, to the point where I can barely hear my (very, very loud) bike rev while I'm standing next to it. They are pretty thick, but compressed they space out nicely and don't put too much pressure on even my extremely small ear canals.

They're the best earplugs I've found; they make riding almost utterly silent. I can still hear cars next to me around town from ~10-15 feet away, too.

I'm interested in trying those clay earplugs though. Next up on the list!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

These are the plugs I use. One the advantages of working at an airport, hearing protection is always available. They are all-day comfortable and you can use them for a few days before they start getting gross. The lanyard is extremely handy.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 10, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Might want to timg that 1st pic Linedance.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
E-A-R

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Holy poo poo I'm laughing so hard at that

EAR

oh and

ɹ-ɐ-ǝ

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Haha oops! Posting from my phone so I probably uploaded the wrong file to imgur.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On a related note - someone, I think it was here, posted a little circuit suitable for underseat mounting that you could use for charging a phone, but I can't find it any more - anyone remember who and where it was?
I bought this, http://www.amazon.com/USB-Weather-Power-Outlet-Charger/dp/B003TVDVO4/ and it's worked fine so far. It's really basic though, there are no mounting brackets or anything, so you just have to zip tie it to whatever part of the bike is handy, and crimp a suitable connector to the end of the wires.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

I was wondering the other day just how hard it would be to make a little baby inertia starter for a motorcycle. I loooooove the sound of those things.

Starting procedure for your next bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_xVtcG5Dc&t=156s

For earplugs, I use Bilsom 303's:

They're awesome.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 10, 2013

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Bike wouldn't start this morning. Headlight comes on. No clicking or noise from starter when pressing the start button. Headlight dims when the starter button is pressed. Bad/Low battery, right? I didn't have any time to further diagnose before jumping in my car to get to work.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackLaser posted:

Bike wouldn't start this morning. Headlight comes on. No clicking or noise from starter when pressing the start button. Headlight dims when the starter button is pressed. Bad/Low battery, right? I didn't have any time to further diagnose before jumping in my car to get to work.

Yes. I had that happen to mine once, that was just a dirty negative terminal.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I buy the $5.99 ear buds and Family Dollar. They are silicon, not foam but still block wind noise. And, if I lose them/break them I don't care.

Are any of the big motorcycle sites having a tire sale at the moment? I need a 100/90-19 80/20 dual sport tire.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BlackLaser posted:

Sounds like a dead battery...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://www.ebay.com/itm/v-MODA-Vibe-In-Ear-Noise-Headphone-silver-/181133261315?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2a2c623a03

These are my favorite earbuds ever, and they're cheap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thylacine posted:

Are any of the big motorcycle sites having a tire sale at the moment? I need a 100/90-19 80/20 dual sport tire.

The Bridgestone TW39 is on sale for $78 at Motorcycle Superstore.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Speaking of which, I ought to replace my front tire soon. Never bought a tire before.
Any advice on street tires (for a small cruiser)? I know there's probably widely varying opinion, but I think I've at least heard people say things like "haha almost as stupid as buying X-brand tires, amirite :rolleyes:" so I'd like to at least know if there's anything I should avoid.

edit: it's a 100/90-19 57S

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 10, 2013

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

BlackLaser posted:

Popped the battery out to check the voltage. 13.7v. Popped it back in and the bike starts fine. The fuel pump was not coming on before the battery switcheroo. The only thing I can think of was that I washed it last weekend pretty thoroughly. I walked the bike into the garage with it running after washing though. Maybe something was shorting? Cables were tight. All the wires seem in good shape and not dried out or cracking. Id' rather it was just dead, now I'll worry about getting stranded every time I ride it.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

BlackLaser posted:

Popped the battery out to check the voltage. 13.7v. Popped it back in and the bike starts fine. The fuel pump was not coming on before the battery switcheroo. The only thing I can think of was that I washed it last weekend pretty thoroughly. I walked the bike into the garage with it running after washing though. Maybe something was shorting? Cables were tight. All the wires seem in good shape and not dried out or cracking. Id' rather it was just dead, now I'll worry about getting stranded every time I ride it.

If you aren't blowing fuses, I doubt it's a short. Might be open connection. Check the wiring in the suspect areas (e.g., fuel pump) for connectors that are loose or wires that have frayed/cracked.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BlackLaser posted:

Tipover sensor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

alnilam posted:

Speaking of which, I ought to replace my front tire soon. Never bought a tire before.
Any advice on street tires (for a small cruiser)? I know there's probably widely varying opinion, but I think I've at least heard people say things like "haha almost as stupid as buying X-brand tires, amirite :rolleyes:" so I'd like to at least know if there's anything I should avoid.

edit: it's a 100/90-19 57S
Any Shinko in that size will be economical and functional. Probably a 712. The only tires sold in the US that I've seen problems with were certain types of Dunlops. Or maybe the old Cheng Shins but I don't think they sell street tires anymore.