Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

moths posted:

Skytrex / (Command Decision in the States) has you covered for most everything except helicopters. I found a Flashpoint has a 1/100 Huey, but it's probably more expensive than the BF one.

e: Oh poo poo, Corgi to the rescue. (Pun intended.) It's listed as 1:100 and 1/144 but people online are saying Corgi is 1:100 (15mm scale). It's not the exact same model, but close enough for six bucks.

Flashpoint costs all of $1 more than the BF Hueys. Otherwise, looks like Command Decision will be my go to for Vietnam. $28 for 3 Pattons vs. $35 for 2 is not hard math. Only BF's M113s come close to the per unit cost of Skytrex, but it's still about $1 per more expensive. But for now, I'll be loading up on Corgi Helos.

chrisoya posted:

QRF seem to have some, but I'm not too clear on model numbers. They're listed under Modern, not Post-War with the rest of the Vietnam stuff, but the descriptions seem about right.

Looks like Scale Creep files them how QRF does, so that helped me to find it on their page, too.

edit: So as not to double post, apparently PayPal has decided to "limit" my account due to some six degrees of seperation bullshit they're unwilling to explain, and I can't appeal. So, effectively, I've been banned from ebay, PayPal, and Bill-Me-Later for life, Reason: None Given. So, is there another way to get those Corgi helos?

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I'm getting into historicals finally, through Bolt Action.

Upside is, 28mm is big enough that I can thoroughly :spergin: about details :allears:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey dudes, I'm thinking I'd like to do a small Ancient era army of some type. I'm thinking 10 or 15 mm scale. I'm not a history buff or anything, just thought it'd be a cool side project totally different to what I normally paint. I was thinking some Roman dudes (original I know) but I'm not sold on that. Anyone have suggestions? I'd prefer to be able to buy a big army lot in one go if possible.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fyrbrand posted:

Hey dudes, I'm thinking I'd like to do a small Ancient era army of some type. I'm thinking 10 or 15 mm scale. I'm not a history buff or anything, just thought it'd be a cool side project totally different to what I normally paint. I was thinking some Roman dudes (original I know) but I'm not sold on that. Anyone have suggestions? I'd prefer to be able to buy a big army lot in one go if possible.

Do you want a large impressive army, or do you want to just try out painting up some tiny dudes? If you go 15mm I think that it could be fun to pick up an army for DBA or Impetus or similar, where you get a little bit of everything, without having to sink too much time or money into it. That's pretty much how I started with smaller scale historicals. If you end up liking an army, it's easy to just add on more.

I'm also a fan of even smaller scale, like 6mm, but 10mm should also be a good choice if you want to go for a big army. My personal opinion is that it is still slightly daunting to paint up an army that looks impressive in size if you go for 15mm. But 6mm starts to look like an army much faster, since there's just so many miniatures involved. My Napoleonics starter force didn't cost much and didn't take much time to paint, but still look a lot more like an army than my 15mm DBA armies:

vs

Both of these cost about the same and took about the same amount of time to paint, but they were fun in different ways, and I like the end result in different ways as well.

If you want some tips on historical ranges that look good and are way more off the beaten path than Romans, how about checking out Khurasan Miniatures? They make lovely 15mm and specialize in unusual ranges, such as their surprisingly hardcore Tibetans:
http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/tibetan.html

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is kind of an odd question. I found some 15mm print-and-build terrain I like, and I'd like to print the PDF at 133% size for use with 20mm. Or at ~200% for 28mm.

Adobe, however, does not like this idea. Is there a work-around that doesn't involve the copier at my job?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

A lot of super useful advice

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I think I'm more interested in 10mm, since as you said it just looks more substantial. Also the less detail for me to obsess on, the better. :negative:

Those Tibetans do look really cool though.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I have been really impressed with the stuff I have gotten from Khurasan lately, it's mostly 15mm sci-fi, but the guys know how to make a nice model, Rebel minis as well.

Really liking the 15mm stuff, so I went all in for Maurice, inbound 1500 miniatures...oh god, my painting table is going to collapse. Went with Old Glory 15s for cost and ease of ordering, and the first test batch look great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My first Soviet heavy weapons teams.

From left to right: 82mm Mortar, PTRD Anti-tank rifle, M1910 HMG.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
My first set of painted miniatures for more than six years - 6mm Napoleonic British infantry. Also my first attempt at paining 6mm miniatures in general. They are Baccus miniatures and the quality seems very good. This is half a battalion for Lasalle, still a long way to go for an entire army!

From the front:

From behind:

From the side:

The images are a bit dark, I have not quite figured out my lightbox yet.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Your camera is metering for the dominant white background and setting it as the mid grey point. Over expose your camera by 2 stops. It will make all the difference.

Also Baccus own hard. I just sold 2 Baccus Napoleonic armies and am about to start on 2 more.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 30, 2013

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guess I should cross-post this from the general miniatures thread:

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've been slowly working on a unit of Scots Covenanters from Warlord Games's 'Pike & Shotte" range. First one done is the ensign.

(Camera is acting up, so I had to settle for a cell phone pic)

The eyes are a little gonked, but overall I'm happy with him. I based his clothing off a picture from one of the plates in Osprey's Scots Armies of the English Civil Wars, and tried to make the flag follow as closely as possible to the different examples I was able to find.

The flag itself is just paper and the second one I've attempted. I might tear it off and try to make a wavier one later. And I'm saving the flocking for when I have more done.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My first soviet models finished and based.

82-PM-41 82mm mortar team and RM-38 50mm mortar team.

Time to hide behind some Polish hedgerows and bomb the bourgeoisie.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you haven't been following the Up Front! Kickstarter updates, they've been previewing a lot of color art lately that's a great resource for WWII uniforms. I know there's an early Russian uniform plate, and a bunch of other nations are already represented as well.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007
Finally got my 6 points of Viking-ish painted for Saga and got to roll them out last night. I'd played before with Normans and didn't really like them, but love the way the Viking battleboard plays. I lost 2 units completely, but wiped out 4 of my opponents (Anglo-Dane). Came down to a Warlord v Warlord fight that I won.

How do the Jomsvikings play? I'm thinking of trying out my force as them in a game. I really like the aggressiveness of the Viking board.

I'll post some pictures of my force later this evening.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I will do a write up of Jomsvikings later. I've played them quite a lot.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 1, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hey guys, here's the new Oath Thread - Season 4: Slidin' Through the Oathiverse

Open to miniatures of any genre or product line! It's especially open to skirmish gamers and to smaller scales like 6mm, 15mm, etc.

Lots and lots of sponsors lined up, with more on the way. It should be a good (and busy!) year.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
In observance of May Day I just bought 160 dollars worth of Bolt Action Soviets: The 1000 point army deal, a FOO blister, an 120mm mortar, and a ZiS-3 gun, along with order dice. Combined with the box of plastic infantry I got a week ago, I think I've got a good start to my Slavic horde.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007
Here's my 6 points of Vikings. Figures are a mix of old Foundry I got in a trade and Gripping Beast.

1st row is 4 Berserkers, 4 Hirdmen, Warlord, 4 Hirdmen, 4 Hirdmen
Back row is 2 units of 8 Bondi and a single plastic wargames foundry figure a friend gave me as a test figure.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Talk to me about Saga. Saw a game in my FLGS yesterday and got interested. Where do I go to read an introduction?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I recommend the fine and upstanding OP for all your primer needs.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Agreeing with Arq that the OP has what you need, but basically it's vikings beating each other up in every awesome way possible.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The OP has only one link that's replaced with an obnoxious ad in a split second (yes I have adblock) :(

e: Nevermind, managed to kill the ad. I'll get back to you with specific questions.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cross posting my question from the indie wargaming thread:

mehall posted:

So Revell have started doing a nice wee range of 1/144 aircraft at just £2 each. Are there any rulesets available that could work an air only battle using these? I know flames of war is 144 but as I understand it, thats just air support.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

Talk to me about Saga. Saw a game in my FLGS yesterday and got interested. Where do I go to read an introduction?

SAGA is a very balanced wargame about tactical movement and resource management. Each faction has a number of special rules that they can use when they have enough of the in game resources although there are very few direct army construction rules. Most factions have five unit choices: Light infantry or skirmishers, normal warriors, elite warriors, special elite warriors (like Berserkers), and the warband leader. Factions are broken down into four main types: Offensive, Defensive, Ranged and Skirmishing. Some factions can fit into multiple categories like the Byzantines can be either a army of elite hard to kill warriors or a ranged attack based horde army. The base book has several factions that cover all the main bases and the expansions have more specialized or generalized faction choices. Armies are cheap to make and there are a bunch of companies who offer miniatures. In general Hammer of the Gods are the cheapest but lowest quality, Gripping Beast are pretty balanced in quality to price and Foundry are the nicest but the most expensive.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mehall posted:

Wings of War/Wings of Glory would work. I'm sure there are other WWII plane games out there, but how groggy you want to get really does limit you here.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Wings of War/Wings of Glory would work. I'm sure there are other WWII plane games out there, but how groggy you want to get really does limit you here.

If you want to go super un-groggy, there's always Axis and Allies. Their models are actually 1/100, but I don't think the scale of the movements and what not actually translates into anything meaningful, so as long as you have the cards you're good to go.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

SAGA is a very balanced wargame about tactical movement and resource management. Each faction has a number of special rules that they can use when they have enough of the in game resources although there are very few direct army construction rules. Most factions have five unit choices: Light infantry or skirmishers, normal warriors, elite warriors, special elite warriors (like Berserkers), and the warband leader. Factions are broken down into four main types: Offensive, Defensive, Ranged and Skirmishing. Some factions can fit into multiple categories like the Byzantines can be either a army of elite hard to kill warriors or a ranged attack based horde army. The base book has several factions that cover all the main bases and the expansions have more specialized or generalized faction choices. Armies are cheap to make and there are a bunch of companies who offer miniatures. In general Hammer of the Gods are the cheapest but lowest quality, Gripping Beast are pretty balanced in quality to price and Foundry are the nicest but the most expensive.

Added this to the OP. Very nice.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Although I disagree Foundry are the nicest figures. ;p they have some nice ones but the range looks a little tired now compared to GBs metals and Shieldwall or Crusader.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

mehall posted:

Red Star, Blue Sky and its related rulesets are some great airwar games. I find them a little more groggy than Wings of War, but still pretty easy to get into.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Or there's Bag the Hun. Great game. Needs a hex-mat though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Crossposting from the Oath thread.

Cossack Moloitsy for "By Fire and Sword"

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I've got a hankering for some Napoleonic era gaming but don't currently have the time or money to get/paint an army and wouldn't find players for that kind of thing where I live anyway. What are some good options on the hex map and cardboard chits/more board game front? I asked in the board game thread too but thought I'd cover my bases.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Commands and Colors Napoleonics for sure. Lots of people in the boardgame thread don't like it as combat is dice driven but they are weird.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Serotonin posted:

Commands and Colors Napoleonics for sure. Lots of people in the boardgame thread don't like it as combat is dice driven but they are weird.

I've noticed it in the various gaming groups I drift around in. Its ether people who don't like wargames in general (including the various dungeon-crawl/adventure/quest type games) or they just play Euro-Games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Looking to get into Flames of War, I ordered the "Open Fire!" late war starter set from my local games shop. I was wondering what era and theaters are most popular and how strict people are about playing historically correct battles (e.g. sticking strictly to playing in their own theater and only playing the historically correct enemy, Germany vs Russia etc.). I'm also interested in playing mid-war period does anyone know how versatile units are, say I want to use units from the "Open Fire!" box set for a mid war army is that doable?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Numlock posted:

I've noticed it in the various gaming groups I drift around in. Its ether people who don't like wargames in general (including the various dungeon-crawl/adventure/quest type games) or they just play Euro-Games.
I've noticed from various cons that the people who like only euro games tend to be doing pretty convincing robot impersonations.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Popete posted:

Looking to get into Flames of War, I ordered the "Open Fire!" late war starter set from my local games shop. I was wondering what era and theaters are most popular and how strict people are about playing historically correct battles (e.g. sticking strictly to playing in their own theater and only playing the historically correct enemy, Germany vs Russia etc.). I'm also interested in playing mid-war period does anyone know how versatile units are, say I want to use units from the "Open Fire!" box set for a mid war army is that doable?

:siren: If you don't play your historical wargame 100% accurately, a grognard will come to your house and break your legs :siren:

FoW is mostly balanced on period, so you'll only play mid war with your mid war force. Late is probably the most popular, and theater (the book you use) is largely irrelevant especially in friendly games. Some themed tournaments my have restrictions but you'll be made aware of them.

Historically it's about axis vs allied, but nothing is going to stop you playing anyone against anyone in a friendly game.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 13, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Popete posted:

Late War is the most popular period, generally speaking. The latest sets of books are Grey Wolf/Red Bear for Eastern Front (released last year V3 compliant); Blood, Guts, and Glory/Devil's Charge/Nuts for Battle of the Bulge (released over last fall/winter); and the most recent compilations being Market Garden/Bridge by Bridge for Operation Market Garden. The new D-Day Compilations come out in June.

Your LGS may vary. My LGS here in Ohio is all Late War, with nobody paying mind to theater or historical accuracy (we really do play World Warhammer II 40k). The LGS I got to visit in OKC would have players for all three eras, and would occasionally have historical themed battles (I recall one where the player who set it up was recreating a battle that occurred during the Battle of the Bulge). Otherwise, unless someone is super grognardy, nobody is going to turn you down if you want to run your Market Garden StuG company against their East Front Finns.

Otherwise, troops can always proxy with no issue. There are no Fireflies in MW. Everything else is just flat out more expensive, because PaK40s, StuGs, and Shermans can really wreck poo poo in MW. But I'm sure you can proxy the Fireflies as just normal Shermans.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Arquinsiel posted:

I've noticed from various cons that the people who like only euro games tend to be doing pretty convincing robot impersonations.

I wish I had robots. A lot of them would rather sulk in a corner, occasionally glaring at us or whining about being bored, than play something like Small World even though there was room for them.

Popete posted:

1. Probably late war but local meta may vary (somewhere out there, somebody must be playing early war...)
2. Flames of War is grognard kryptonite, in fact only females and bathing are hated more by them.
3. Any army can play any army (assuming they are both made from lists from the same period) though most people try to keep it Allied vs Axis.
4. All everything but the firefly tanks are usable in mid-war. Nobody will mind if you proxy the fireflys as regular shermans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Numlock posted:

I wish I had robots. A lot of them would rather sulk in a corner, occasionally glaring at us or whining about being bored, than play something like Small World even though there was room for them.
No you don't man. Ever play "Hey, Thats My Fish!"? It's a fun game for players eight and up! Know how fun it is when you play it at 2am over some drinks after a convention pub quiz and someone does the maths on the board state every single turn? :suicide: