Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Real BMW riders just have the map from the cafe back to the dentist's office memorized :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Parking brake, basically. Pull the lever, flip that trigger/switch thing, and it holds the lever pulled.

What a surprisingly good idea - you've not got the option of leaving it in gear if you have to park on a slope of course, so it makes sense.

(Of course the better idea would be to get A Proper Bike, but baby steps)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I like to big up good service when I see it anywhere, so thought I'd pas this on - my colleague, who's just started biking on a CBF125, had a problem on his way home last night (after 2,000 miles) - suddenly losing power and surging. Apparently it's a known issue (for 2 loving model years, nice one Honda) with the fuel pump.

The dealer (Motoden in Shoreditch) diagnosed the problem over the phone, offered to pick the bike (and him) up from his house the next morning if required but assured him the bike would be fine to ride in the cooler morning temperatures, and swapped out the fuel pump in under an hour this morning. That's pretty loving good service from a chain dealer for someone on pretty much the cheapest bike they sell, IMO.

(Of course it's also a sad reflection on bike dealers generally in this country that this is a remarkable thing, but having seen the dicking around another colleague has had with Metropolis, the biggest dealer in London, with the clutch on his Street Triple in the last two months...)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh yeah, I like to big up good service when I see it anywhere, so thought I'd pas this on - my colleague, who's just started biking on a CBF125, had a problem on his way home last night (after 2,000 miles) - suddenly losing power and surging. Apparently it's a known issue (for 2 loving model years, nice one Honda) with the fuel pump.

The dealer (Motoden in Shoreditch) diagnosed the problem over the phone, offered to pick the bike (and him) up from his house the next morning if required but assured him the bike would be fine to ride in the cooler morning temperatures, and swapped out the fuel pump in under an hour this morning. That's pretty loving good service from a chain dealer for someone on pretty much the cheapest bike they sell, IMO.

(Of course it's also a sad reflection on bike dealers generally in this country that this is a remarkable thing, but having seen the dicking around another colleague has had with Metropolis, the biggest dealer in London, with the clutch on his Street Triple in the last two months...)

I had a little brake caliper fiasco today and I lost a caliper bracket bolt. I called up our local Suzuki dealer who are usually not super helpful and overpriced about ordering a replacement. I asked if they had any bolts they could cross reference and the guy told me just to come in. It was kinda busy so they just found me a matching bolt (exact match no less) and said it was on the house. Made me feel kinda bad for turning business away from there when most new people in town ask about them :unsmith:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Will insurance ever cease to be baffling? We have our bikes and our cars on policies with the same company. The car insurance premium was raised citing the wife's two speeding tickets and at-fault accident over the past three years.

The motorcycle premium was reduced... :psyduck:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've heard nothing but bad things about metropolis. Their prices are out to lunch too. I don't know why anyone would shop there other than to sit on a bunch of bikes to see what they like and then go buy elsewhere. Maybe that's why their service and prices are poo poo?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

I've heard nothing but bad things about metropolis. Their prices are out to lunch too. I don't know why anyone would shop there other than to sit on a bunch of bikes to see what they like and then go buy elsewhere. Maybe that's why their service and prices are poo poo?

I bought my Shiver from there simply because they offered me by far the best deal (0% finance + 500 quids worth of vouchers for clothing) but I get it serviced at the dealer I got my RS125 from even though it's on the other side of town - a decision even the small dealer agrees with simply because they make so much more profit on the servicing than on the bikes themselves.

He used Metropolis for a service because they were handy for where he was working and the clutch has been hosed ever since.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

God damned TPMS piss me off. :mad:

So, the ones on my C14 (and presumably ZX14 etc) have a typical life span of anywhere from 3-5 years. They cost $150 each at Kawi plus the cost of coding to your bike.. which basically makes a tire change 2x what it should be according to Kawi. However, it has been discovered that the basic battery is a CR2032 and if you are competent with a soldering iron or can hire someone that is competent with a soldering iron, they are quite easily replaced.

As my 2010 was actually born in 2009, I decided when I put my PR3 tires a few months back I'd be proactive and change the batteries in the TPMS sensors since I am getting close to their end of life. Which I did and they worked like a champ :cool:

Yesterday, going for a ride I get this loving HUGE ANNOYING flashing warning on the MFD of a TPMS LOW BATTERY warning :fuckoff: After a few minutes it goes away though.

My best guess is that the CR2032 at rest voltage must be borderline, but as the tire heats up it puts out enough juice... but drat, what a piss off. The battery is new but jesus christ. What a pain in the rear end. I'd pay money to take the get rid of the tpms system from the computer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Guess you're not as competent with a soldering iron as you thought! :v:

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Not really motorcycle related but my second son was born at half three Monday morning! I'd forgotten how tired newborns make you so I'm off the bike for a week or so. Good time to fit the Renthals I've got sat in the garage :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Linedance posted:

Guess you're not as competent with a soldering iron as you thought! :v:

LOL

Actually I suck at soldering which is why I paid the place to do it! I do know that isn't the issue though because they do work, I think the Kawi sensor is just absolutely anal with voltage requirements tripping the low warning.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Not really motorcycle related but my second son was born at half three Monday morning! I'd forgotten how tired newborns make you so I'm off the bike for a week or so. Good time to fit the Renthals I've got sat in the garage :)

Congratulations on your growing pit crew

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup, grats man, now you have somebody short enough to clean your wheels and chain without you having to stoop down.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hey guys you remember when my bike ditched me last week and left it at a motorcycle shop?

Turns out it wasn't the battery nor it was any of the internal componets. It was a faulty connections to the fuse box and as a bonus they fixed my front brake light connection to and not for a whole lot. Still gonna sell it for cheap and will probably list it here in CA for cheaper.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Called the insurance adjuster who looked at my bike over a week ago to see if anything was going to happen. A few hours later he called me back and said "Hey, were gonna cut you a check for the exact $ amount your shop quoted us minus your deductible." A few hours later I got a call from a panicked lady who called and informed me that they were going to total the bike for almost 50% MORE than the cost of fixing it. While I was on the phone with her I got a missed call from the guy I had talked to that morning, and my agent, all telling me the same thing.

Apparently State Farms claim department is seriously :psyduck:. On the plus side, they offered me WAAAY more than I ever thought they would for the bike. Within a few hundred $ of what I'd try to get from it on the street. The whole thing strikes me as kind of sketchy so I'm at least going to hold off on signing anything until I can be sure this isn't some bizarre scam.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KodiakRS posted:

Called the insurance adjuster who looked at my bike over a week ago to see if anything was going to happen. A few hours later he called me back and said "Hey, were gonna cut you a check for the exact $ amount your shop quoted us minus your deductible." A few hours later I got a call from a panicked lady who called and informed me that they were going to total the bike for almost 50% MORE than the cost of fixing it. While I was on the phone with her I got a missed call from the guy I had talked to that morning, and my agent, all telling me the same thing.

Apparently State Farms claim department is seriously :psyduck:. On the plus side, they offered me WAAAY more than I ever thought they would for the bike. Within a few hundred $ of what I'd try to get from it on the street. The whole thing strikes me as kind of sketchy so I'm at least going to hold off on signing anything until I can be sure this isn't some bizarre scam.

Nope, that's how State Farm works. They pay out a shitload. Which is precisely why I insure with them. Also, from when I did my claim, they were having some technical difficulties with their phone systems and otherwise.

Also, depending on how bad your bike is you can probably buy it back for cheap. IIRC the damage to your bike wasn't that terrible?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

This. I got paid more for my Daytona than I would have been able to sell it for, and the same goes for my WR.

State farm owns.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
State farm is just awesome, they totaled my 250 for 500 more than I paid for it, dead on average list price at dealerships, then sold it back to me for 300. Then paid for my new helmet. They didnt blink when the other driver's insurance denied liability, just instantly said they'd happily pay me under collision policy and go try to beat my deductible out of them. I effectively got a free biek. Every single person I've dealt with from them has been great. Someone else might be cheaper but I dunno because I don't care because I really doubt they could be better.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Z3n posted:

Also, depending on how bad your bike is you can probably buy it back for cheap. IIRC the damage to your bike wasn't that terrible?

Things at work are really fluid at the moment and having a nice financial safety net is a good idea at the moment so I'll probably be without a bike for a while. The damage was entirely cosmetic. Minor damage only to the fairings and controls with the exception of the right front fork. The motorcycle itself is 100% operational. Still have no clue why they totaled it when the fix cost was such a low % of the payout value.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd at least ask what the buyback is...could be worth quite a bit to just buy the bike back and immediately resell it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Headed somewhere with a friend tonight, we drove up on an intersection with a right turn that had it's own separated, dedicated lane. At the end of the lane was a Civic that had just hit a Metro bus. The bus was cross traffic with the right of way traveling straight, like normal, and the Civic just turned right into him. I presume he didn't see him because how else do you pull out and hit a drat bus?

If people can't see a bus I feel kind of silly wearing a hi-vis vest sometimes. Still, I think it helps most people spot me.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

nsaP posted:

If people can't see a bus I feel kind of silly wearing a hi-vis vest sometimes. Still, I think it helps most people spot me.

This is also how I feel about wearing them. :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Where I work, everybody wears high vis, and you'd think that if everybody was wearing high vis, you'd stop noticing it. But weirdly enough, that isn't how it works. It still catches and draws your eye every time. So I guess the solution is paint the busses in day-glo yellow?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

But then where would you put the blaring full side advertisments?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You could be a day-glo Liberace but they still won't see you while they're texting

Every time I see a driver texting I just want to reach in the window, grab their phone, hurl it into the weeds and take off

This post sent from my Samsung SGS2 using AwfulApp Betamax ~~crashes into a bus~~

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Collateral Damage posted:

But then where would you put the blaring full side advertisments?

Christmas lights.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The only guaranteed method of securing the attention of other drivers is to have a loud pipe.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Amusingly, the band with the album title "Loud pipes save lives" is Swedish. You'd imagine it would be some southern hillbilly band...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loud_Pipes_Save_Lives

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

nsaP posted:

People are stupid and not paying attention to anything. Someone I went to high school with hit a parked school bus...then she sued the bus company and won :suicide:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

Headed somewhere with a friend tonight, we drove up on an intersection with a right turn that had it's own separated, dedicated lane. At the end of the lane was a Civic that had just hit a Metro bus. The bus was cross traffic with the right of way traveling straight, like normal, and the Civic just turned right into him. I presume he didn't see him because how else do you pull out and hit a drat bus?

There is the notion that one single thing you do is less significant in the safety equation than the cumulative effort - lane position, being alert, wearing visible stuff, adding blinking flashing LEDs to your BMW, choosing when and where to ride, etc. ALL of that is what affects your chances of getting into an accident - a high-vis jacket won't protect you much at all if that's the only part of the equation.

Maybe loud pipes help. Mine pretty much parts traffic like Moses did the Red Sea.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

My problem is sometimes I don't see huge loving SUVs at intersections, because they're static when I pull up to the intersection, they're dark colored, their lights are out and there's no reason for them to be camping there at the stop sign. I've had this happen a couple of times and I always rebuke myself because I should have seen them but I really wish car's headlights were required to be on at all times just like motorcycles, it'd be a lot easier to tell who's parked and who's about to pull out at any minute.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's a great point which I bring up when people wonder why Norway have mandatory headlights. It makes it easy to tell which cars are active and not, at a long distance in bright daylight as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

There is the notion that one single thing you do is less significant in the safety equation than the cumulative effort - lane position, being alert, wearing visible stuff, adding blinking flashing LEDs to your BMW, choosing when and where to ride, etc. ALL of that is what affects your chances of getting into an accident - a high-vis jacket won't protect you much at all if that's the only part of the equation.

Maybe loud pipes help. Mine pretty much parts traffic like Moses did the Red Sea.

I don't like the fact that loud pipes are indescriminate about what they make sound at, but man, when you bang a downshift as you come up on a car or motorcyclist on the 999 people get the gently caress out of the way.

Stock exhaust (debaffled) too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Welp, today is the day. I'm heading to my friend's after work to do bike work, but the big thing is valve clearance checks. We're going to do some general maintenance stuffs while the bike cools down. I've printed out the walkthrough from FZ6 forums and saved a link to the page on my Kindle. We've got music and booze. Should be a fun night. I'll try to remember to take pictures of various parts of the process.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

My problem is sometimes I don't see huge loving SUVs at intersections, because they're static when I pull up to the intersection, they're dark colored, their lights are out and there's no reason for them to be camping there at the stop sign. I've had this happen a couple of times and I always rebuke myself because I should have seen them but I really wish car's headlights were required to be on at all times just like motorcycles, it'd be a lot easier to tell who's parked and who's about to pull out at any minute.

This has come up before and some Euro nation did a study that found that making all cars burn their headlights during the day actually increases motorcycle accidents, because motorcycles running their lights are now less remarkable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'm pretty sure the engine has to be dead cold to check the valve clearance properly, as in you need to let it cool down overnight.

Snowdens Secret posted:

This has come up before and some Euro nation did a study that found that making all cars burn their headlights during the day actually increases motorcycle accidents, because motorcycles running their lights are now less remarkable.

I saw a proposal once that motorcycles should be equipped with selective yellow headlamps (or auxiliary running lamps) and that selective yellow should be limited to motorcycles only, for exactly this reason. Seemed like a good plan.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 10, 2013

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure the engine has to be dead cold to check the valve clearance properly, as in you need to let it cool down overnight.

^^^^

Have your buddy come to you if you are doing valves on your bike.

If the engine is anything but bone cold (i.e., sitting for at least 8-12 hours), your measurements will be off and show less clearance than you have for meeting the specs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

Welp, today is the day. I'm heading to my friend's after work to do bike work, but the big thing is valve clearance checks. We're going to do some general maintenance stuffs while the bike cools down. I've printed out the walkthrough from FZ6 forums and saved a link to the page on my Kindle. We've got music and booze. Should be a fun night. I'll try to remember to take pictures of various parts of the process.

Cool, take it slow and don't force anything. That moment where you adjust yourself to put some additional torque on a bolt or otherwise is the point where you should reconsider what you're doing! Double check the timing and turn the bike over by hand if you end up having to pull the cams.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm staying the night at his place for it to cool down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm staying the night at his place for it to cool down.

Nice.

Not sure of the torque specs on your cam bearings, covers, etc., but Z3n speaks gospel. Unless the manual calls for a hefty level of torque (e.g., the nuts securing the head need 25-28 ft/lbs on my bike), go nice and easy during the reinstall and creep up on tightening.

Also, when pulling it apart, proceed cautiously with any bolt that doesn't give. Penetrating oil and/or PB Blaster works better than rage strength and breaker bar leverage. Hit them with some PB and then try worrying them a bit (i.e., work the wrench both ways to break up corrosion, etc.)

Good luck