Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I cleaned both of mine and thought it was time for a lovely photo or two.

Excuse the healing brushed front plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Bought a new manual Focus SE a month ago. I was going through a bit of buyer's remorse as I had my last car for 10 years and as much as I liked the Focus, I wasn't sure I'd made the right choice to get a new car. I'm over all of that now and having a lot of fun with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poisonlizard posted:

Finally stopped driving the Torque (steer) monster long enough to post a couple of pics.

Bonus shot of my sisters Focus.

And crammed in the garage during one of the many recent hail storms. Also you see I'm rocking the single headrest there. The front headrests are non-adjustable, and too low/forward for my height. Pulled it out, and am going to try bending the posts back.

ST2 with the standard wheels, and blue inserts on the seats.
Really wanted the Titanium wheels, but couldn't find one. Think I'll be tool dipping them black pretty soon.

So now we have what, 5 ST's in AI? We really need a Focus/Fusion/Fiesta thread (would that be Foci/Fusi/Fiesti), as the STNation and the others are pretty bad.

How are you loving it? I eventually canceled my order and got an FR-S, instead, but I do kind of still wish I had gone with the Focus.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

I bought a 1998 Chevy Corvette last year. North Dakota.

Many Goons posted:

winter
You'll be fine. Winter tires are necessary, all seasons do not include winter as a season, at least not winter as it is properly understood here on the nothern Great Plains. You'll make some pick-up driving acquantance's day when he yanks you out of a snowdrift or out of some ice ruts (truck owners love the opportunity to actually use their trucks), then you'll know where you can and cannot drive and all will be well. Figure out where your tow hooks are (and other potential towing points) now, before you bury it in cold wet slop.

Crustashio posted:

Someone took a picture at the first autoX.

Lookin' good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lightbulb Out posted:

That is a happy garage, nice collection. I need to get the BMW's out and clean to get a group photo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ExecuDork posted:

You'll be fine. Winter tires are necessary

Winter tires in Corvette sizes is an expensive proposition. I know Michelin has some put out some really nice ones, but it's not exactly cost effective. And some would argue that a 300+ wide tire will have problems on slush regardless of how good the compound is.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Winter tires in Corvette sizes is an expensive proposition. I know Michelin has some put out some really nice ones, but it's not exactly cost effective. And some would argue that a 300+ wide tire will have problems on slush regardless of how good the compound is.

Stretch them a bit.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

The alternatives to winter tires in North Dakota are either don't drive it in winter (i.e. half the year) or expect to spin out, probably into oncoming traffic, every time you go out. Defining cost effective under those circumstances is, as always, a personal decision.

Winter tires are never cheap. But the alternatives are worse - in my opinion (option 1) or my experience (option 2).

Skinny winter tires are good for cutting through a layer of snow, which is useful most of the time but a downside when the underlying layer is pure ice that the snow was actually providing some traction for. How often that happens depends on local climate, recent weather, and the road (or other) that you're driving on. But all-seasons will be terrible on any cold surface.

This also relates to the studs-vs-not debate that pops up in winter tire discussions; based on my own personal driving style, typical roads and destinations, and experiences over the last few Saskatchewan winters, I'm going to buy studded winter tires in the fall. I'll make it clear now that I'm not advocating studded tires for anybody else, they have some serious downsides (especially on cold, dry pavement).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

The alternatives to winter tires in North Dakota are either don't drive it in winter (i.e. half the year)

Just curious, as someone who DD's a 350Z in New England, is it possible to just rent a garage some where I can leave my car from Nov - March or something? But even so, I wouldn't want to let my car just sit there for 5 months without ever running. I don't have a garage, nor do any friends or family.

I'd love to buy a dirt cheap piece of poo poo for Mon - Fri and only drive the Z on weekends.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sab669 posted:

Just curious, as someone who DD's a 350Z in New England, is it possible to just rent a garage some where I can leave my car from Nov - March or something? But even so, I wouldn't want to let my car just sit there for 5 months without ever running. I don't have a garage, nor do any friends or family.

I'd love to buy a dirt cheap piece of poo poo for Mon - Fri and only drive the Z on weekends.

Get a storage unit for that.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

kimbo305 posted:

a '98 vette is definitely not running on 300+ width tires. Stock they run like 245F/275R.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Get a storage unit for that.

Well right, but again my concern would be letting my car just sit for months without being driven.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I like the silver/black combo you have going on here.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Well right, but again my concern would be letting my car just sit for months without being driven.

over-inflate the tires, top off the gas, change the oil, hook up a battery maintainer, put a breathable cover on it and forget about it for 5 months.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Remember winter tires can be used for quite a few winter seasons before they need to be replaced which helps negate their purchase price.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

golgo13sf posted:

over-inflate the tires, top off the gas, change the oil, hook up a battery maintainer, put a breathable cover on it and forget about it for 5 months.

I'd just pull the battery or disconnect it and not worry about the cover unless the unit is leaking or something. Throw some Stabil in the gas and roll it back and forth every few weeks if you don't want the tires to flat spot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

G-Mach posted:

Remember winter tires can be used for quite a few winter seasons before they need to be replaced which helps negate their purchase price.

Yep. Hell, get em premounted and balanced from tirerack on a set of cheapo steelies that fit your car and all you have to do is swap them. If you really plan ahead, mark each one for the corner it came off of when you remove them and you get a tire rotation twice a season out of the setup.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

How are you loving it? I eventually canceled my order and got an FR-S, instead, but I do kind of still wish I had gone with the Focus.

It is amazing, so much fun to toss around and a crap load of power. Still absolutely amazed by how it handles. A little understeer, but I'm having more fun in it than the na Miata. Plus I fit in it.

Edit: Working on my truck this weekend, and just realized that the Focus has 100 HP and 5 ft/lbs of torque over what my truck came with new. Pretty sure I could drag the truck around with it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Lookin good, a little clay bar action on them and they'll be looking top notch ;p

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

My first new car :banjo:

P5112024 by lwmyers, on Flickr

P4282008 by lwmyers, on Flickr

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Billy Tully posted:

Lookin good, a little clay bar action on them and they'll be looking top notch ;p

What they REALLY need is a polish.. but I'm scared of ruining my paint! :ohdear:

brae
Feb 2, 2006
Awesome weather recently, so I washed mine and took some cellphone pics.

An E39 M5:

And its more practical garagemate, a Honda Fit:

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Bug-eyes, best eyes.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
We are finally reunited (6MT)... but not before our plague-like swarm of lovebugs went after it:

...after some special 1 on 1 time with lots of rubbing and sweet whispers:

...and because this is the first thing I snap with every new car, the pup patrol:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Those wheels are so good.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I got a new old car this week.

Gern Blandsten
Jan 28, 2012
I bought a new car:

This is the first car I have purchased on my own and titled in my name. :italy:

This thing is a loving blast to drive!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You should make a thread about that car because I bet you'll need one.

Gern Blandsten
Jan 28, 2012

n8r posted:

I haven't seen too many other Alfas in AI, let alone GTV6's. I was going to ask in my post if anyone would be interested in starting an Alfa or Italian car thread.

About the car:
1983 Alfa Romeo GTV6. The previous owner purchased the car from Tuscon about 6 years ago and drove it to St. Paul where it stayed garaged during the winter. He only put 10,000 miles on it himself. Mechanically, this thing is solid. I felt safer driving this for 7 hours on the instate than I did my previous car (2001 Subaru Forester).

I have been looking for a GTV6 for the last year or so, and since this one was a days drive away, I flew to the Twin Cities and drove it back to Omaha.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just watch out for the random engine and electrical fires.

FYI - moving to your fine city in a few months, we can have oil leak and electrical issue parties with my British built cars.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Hope you bought two of them

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

n8r posted:

This. I want to live vicariously through you.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How horrible is it, exactly, to find parts for an old Alfa in the states?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Gern Blandsten posted:

I have been looking for a GTV6 for the last year or so, and since this one was a days drive away, I flew to the Twin Cities and drove it back to Omaha.

I didn't even know there were any Alfas in Minnesota. :psyduck:

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Picked up a new toy/beater/ongoing project:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Propaganda Bob posted:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

You're the coolest guy in 1985.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Propaganda Bob posted:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

This makes me so happy inside.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Propaganda Bob posted:

1985 Fox Body Mustang

Saw your pictures and said "Yisssss" out loud. People around me are a bit confused.

This, combined with the GTV6 makes this page very AI. We need a thread for both of these cars, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What are you gonna do with the Foxbody? Maybe... anything from here?:
http://www.autoblog.com/tag/ugly+horse/