Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Paladins are in the position of being able to tank as well as the other 2 tank classes, plus add an amount of self or group healing to equal or beat a tank group priest. The details escape me because it's so far off from my role as dps group healer that sometimes does tank groups or SK that does no outside healing.

RoI has heavily recruited paladins recently because their group and raid wide healing make them MUCH more useful than the other two tank classes when present in excess over the number of needed tanks. And our style of making mixed class tank groups to utilize the group abilities of the knights on warriors who are tanking wants at least one of each knight per a tank group. Paladins fill in as dps group healers better than SKs, though SKs can do a decent job of being melee group healers on fights that only last as long as an epic click.

It's really good that you're trying to learn from those sources. I wouldn't say paladins are being relegated to a priest role, it's more that they're being expected to be able to fill the tank role plus that of a priest. And your dps discs are still really good for the fights where you don't need to worry about those two roles.

I was raiding from kunark to pop, then quit and came back in HoT and started raiding as soon as I could. Raiding now is VERY different than it used to be. The low tier VoA raids you did with MS are quite different from all the non-ntov RoF raids. The low numbers plus lots of boxes makes the real raids harder than they should be. 30 mains is a hell of a lot better than 15 mains running 22 boxes plus 6 guests.

I still haven't been the murderer, closest so far was one where it was narrowed down to our three wood elf druids. And I got eliminated by keyring flags. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

At long last I have finished my shawl 3.0! Thanks to everyone who helped me out with the mats and stuff.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Node posted:

The last time I raided was Rallos Zek the Warlord in Planes of Power. Things sure have changed. There are a lot of new buttons to push, lots of situations in which to use them, and not to use them. I'll say though, it's weird, as a paladin, being relegated to what amounts to a priest.

That's one of the things I kinda dislike about the "new" EQ. I have some many hotbuttons to smash. I mean, I get it that it's probably a better game design by most accounts, but I still preferred a lot of the simplicity of the old EQ with just smashing flying kick on my monk. I don't mind the original implementation of discs either, as they were mostly just various "oh poo poo" buttons that you used at intelligent times. Now discs became replacements for skills, and the skill lines are kinda cryptic and a mess to keep up with what-one-replaces-the-other-plus-which-ones-share-cool-downs. The bad UI just makes it even more confusing.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

SolidMumu posted:

I was wondering what most goons use for a MultiBox setup. Any programs you recommend or ISboxer the way to go still?
I've seen a few mentions about good group composition; I am thinking SDK/SHM/MAG. Any comments or suggestions?

I used to use a program called Macrogoblin to do my boxing. It has real auto macro capability, but I did not use it. Instead I used it for a custom hotbar overlay that let me send clicks to mouse coordinates, send keyboard commands, and spell sequences across multiple accounts. I also used a program I think was called GamTextTriggers (or something like that) that would let me watch each client's log file for trigger phrases (mainly fizzle/resist) and make giant floating text on the main screen telling me what trigger was hit. This made it easy to know if my slows or nukes needed to be recast.

My box team was 4 accounts with a level 75 SK/SHM/Wiz trio + mercs and a 84 cleric (also mine but mainly used for buffs/rez)), 70 enchanter (friend that rarely played), and 80 necro (same friends account) available on additional accounts as needed.

Did they change anything on how testcopy works? When I last played the testcopy made all copied items NO DROP (even from FV). I ask because during an I quit phase I gave a friend my pre-nerf CoS and he sold it so I have been trying to get myself one on my test SK for nostalgia (I know it isn't as useful as it once was).

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Node posted:

The last time I raided was Rallos Zek the Warlord in Planes of Power. Things sure have changed. There are a lot of new buttons to push, lots of situations in which to use them, and not to use them. I'll say though, it's weird, as a paladin, being relegated to what amounts to a priest.

You guys are relegated to that role because it's a role you're really good at, whereas SKs and Wars have no real secondary useful role on a raid besides tanking. My raids are really strange due to lolTest, but we use our lovely warriors as sacrificial speedbumps and hope the two live long enough for the rest of the raid to at least get into position, then the SKs take over actual tanking and the paladins drop insane heals and serve as last ditch oh poo poo tanks.

It's a lot better for the raid overall than having pallies tank while the SKs provide absolutely no alternate utility other than clicking their epic once and DPSing. I play a pally a quarter of the raids now if we don't have actual pallies on and even though I still think SKs are more fun, the paladin is ridiculously way more awesome on raids. Really wish they'd just remove loving mortal coil from the game and give SKs some goddamn raid utility already. We don't even want the drat AA anymore. gently caress you SOE :(

^^ Yeah copied items are not nodrop any longer, plus you can copy plat. The vast majority of level 100s on the server (not me) are characters people transferred to FV, then paid money to someone to bum a bunch of raid gear long enough to testcopy. I have no idea what the purpose of this is, since it means there's nothing to do on Test to benefit your character in any way, but the option's there if you wanna do it I guess. On the upside, it means nobody in my guild ever wants any of the raid loot, so I went from trash gear to T3 VoA in a couple weeks for like half a night's worth of DKP

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 8, 2013

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Did they change anything on how testcopy works? When I last played the testcopy made all copied items NO DROP (even from FV). I ask because during an I quit phase I gave a friend my pre-nerf CoS and he sold it so I have been trying to get myself one on my test SK for nostalgia (I know it isn't as useful as it once was).

It adds a "Copied" tag to tradeable items brought over via /testcopy, but that's it really. You can copy something over and it won't become "No Trade".

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Anyone have dread motes available to test copy over? I just hit 100 on funzoe last night and riverrs is close too. I feel like such a scrub for not having rank ii spells and tomes. :smith:

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

Sand Monster posted:

It adds a "Copied" tag to tradeable items brought over via /testcopy, but that's it really. You can copy something over and it won't become "No Trade".

Anyone got a pre-nerf CoS handy they could copy over to Test. I'll have to install EQ to grab it, but my OCD says I want it back.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Anyone got a pre-nerf CoS handy they could copy over to Test. I'll have to install EQ to grab it, but my OCD says I want it back.

What character do you need it on? I copied over like 5 of them, and the Bobbing corpse ear piece.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

That's one of the things I kinda dislike about the "new" EQ. I have some many hotbuttons to smash. I mean, I get it that it's probably a better game design by most accounts, but I still preferred a lot of the simplicity of the old EQ with just smashing flying kick on my monk. I don't mind the original implementation of discs either, as they were mostly just various "oh poo poo" buttons that you used at intelligent times. Now discs became replacements for skills, and the skill lines are kinda cryptic and a mess to keep up with what-one-replaces-the-other-plus-which-ones-share-cool-downs. The bad UI just makes it even more confusing.
You pretty much just have to view your discs as your spellbook. They could have split it in two - real discs with a short duration and "abilities". True discs such as Impenetrable, Ashenhand, Innerflame, Speed Focus and such are still super powerful with reasonably long cooldowns, which I think is fair and matches the original disc design. Lots of the other discs are awesome fun too, such as Crane Stance, Cloud of Fists, the triple-FK, Zan Fi, IoT, etc., but they're really just abilities, or spells if you wish. Personally I think it's great, old EQ melee classes were just a tad too simple, even though they had their charm in retrospect.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

Comfortador posted:

What character do you need it on? I copied over like 5 of them, and the Bobbing corpse ear piece.

The character should be Amrathee (drat testcopy name filter did not like the name I used for 10 years and made me shove an extra E on the end to avoid referring to an EQ God).

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

ShankyMcStabber posted:

The character should be Amrathee (drat testcopy name filter did not like the name I used for 10 years and made me shove an extra E on the end to avoid referring to an EQ God).

Done deal, sent you the Bauble too, if you don't need it sell it destroy it whatever.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

If anyone else is tired of the obnoxious huge warning message you get when turn on auto-follow (seriously, gently caress SOE), you can change it by modifying the file named eqstr_us.txt in the EQ dir.

The lines with the text start with the following:

I'm not sure if the client can handle removing the text entirely, but you can change it to just a . or something.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pilsner posted:

If anyone else is tired of the obnoxious huge warning message you get when turn on auto-follow (seriously, gently caress SOE), you can change it by modifying the file named eqstr_us.txt in the EQ dir.

The lines with the text start with the following:

I'm not sure if the client can handle removing the text entirely, but you can change it to just a . or something.

I don't know about you, but I need to be warned about following someone and running into a tree, lava, or a mob due to lag/low FPS and a . instead of a big wall of red text isn't properly warning me.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I've got one set of dead motes I can copy but it takes forever...I can start sending you two or three of each per day though. I'll just send the whole set to funzoe

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I decided to poke around and check out all the various EQ accounts I have had over the years and come to find out, I still have almost 700k plat on FV.

Not sure what I want to do with it. I am not technically playing EQ right now, but I have been thinking of goofing off on test from time to time.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I decided to poke around and check out all the various EQ accounts I have had over the years and come to find out, I still have almost 700k plat on FV.

Not sure what I want to do with it. I am not technically playing EQ right now, but I have been thinking of goofing off on test from time to time.

Buy ceremonial elixirs of scholarship and wait a few months. They tend to increase up to about 75-80k per before the quest is offered again in the spring.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

I still haven't been the murderer, closest so far was one where it was narrowed down to our three wood elf druids. And I got eliminated by keyring flags. :(

It was me tonight! THE GAME PICKED ME! Hahahaha :supaburn:

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.

funzo2226 posted:

Anyone have dread motes available to test copy over? I just hit 100 on funzoe last night and riverrs is close too. I feel like such a scrub for not having rank ii spells and tomes. :smith:

Still needed? I have stacks of dreadmotes and cantrips.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Velvis posted:

Still needed? I have stacks of dreadmotes and cantrips.

I would be willing to take some if you have extras. This would ease up the need for Kod to testcopy over some too. I need some greater and glowing cantrips in addition to all the dreadmotes if possible. Thanks!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

funzo2226 posted:

I would be willing to take some if you have extras. This would ease up the need for Kod to testcopy over some too. I need some greater and glowing cantrips in addition to all the dreadmotes if possible. Thanks!

I am going to try playing again after exams, and my enchanter is fully kitted up to 92 (name is Tingle). If you could hook me up for the Rank 2's for level 93 and beyond, that would be grand.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Decided to roll a few toons to scratch the EQ itch that I've had, is there still any semblance of Goon presence on Test?

I am boxing a Monk/Shaman and never got a class above 62 back probably 8 years ago, staying on test for now since I can't make those classes without Gold.

Is it even worth it to play on Test or should I just suck it up and go to Xegony?

My guys are both almost 10 after a few hours and about to complete the tutorial (I barely remember anything from this game) so any tips would be great no matter how general

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Scorps posted:

My guys are both almost 10 after a few hours and about to complete the tutorial (I barely remember anything from this game) so any tips would be great no matter how general

Pssst your'e on test - type /testbuff and your guys go to 25 instantly. :)

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Dear god why have I wasted all this time.

Well that will make things CONSIDERABLY easier (kicking myself right now) and may even entice me into trying to 3 box

Does it still give you a set of 25 gear like I vaguely remember it doing all those years ago also?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Yes, it's rubbish but it's (slightly) better than nothing at all. If you are in luck (and there's a lot more people around Test nowadays, I see more people in the lobby than used to be logged into the entire game) there will be defiant stuff in the baz for peanuts.

The main reason to do /testcopy though is that they very generously give you every spell and max your skills. Levelling at double xp is hard enough without *fizzle* *fizzle *fizzle* fuuuuuuuuuuu because you only get chance to cast 5 spells a level until you hit the 50s :v:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The gear sucks but with mercs (and especially 2-3 boxing) you're basically a walking blender until your 70s.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Scorps posted:

Decided to roll a few toons to scratch the EQ itch that I've had, is there still any semblance of Goon presence on Test?

You can whisper anyone to get an invite to the goon guild <The Roost Gave Me Harpies>, although most are probably being lazy afk exping somewhere.

I'll be on for a while as Marshe if you need an invite.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Rolled up a new Monk/Sham/Mag and testbuffed them all to 25, gonna mess around for a bit to get the hang of what I'm doing and I'll be watching for someone to invite me

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Good news for boxers; a /useitem command was introduced on Test, allowing you to macro stuff like epic 2.0 clickies and such.

Another sweet change: "Added the options to click through yourself, pets, and mercenaries when clicking on the screen".

Here are the full notes: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/test-update-05-07-13.200048/

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Scorps posted:

Do the hot zone quest each time you hit the level for a new hot zone, which is every five levels (although if you level too fast you will have to wait as there is a lockout timer on the quest). The NPC is Franklin Teek in Plane of Knowledge. He's right outside the Guild Lobby zone.

The hot zones are amazing experience at the lower levels up until about level 50 when it starts to drop off, which also coincides with a pretty lame hot zone in Plane of Disease. Go to Plane of Justice instead. Use your "Lesson of the Devoted" for max experience gain when available/necessary.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Scorps posted:

Rolled up a new Monk/Sham/Mag and testbuffed them all to 25, gonna mess around for a bit to get the hang of what I'm doing and I'll be watching for someone to invite me

If you haven't already you might want to reroll and get mercs on all 3 characters before test buffing. Mercs are free at level 1. If you have the plat to spar you can just buy them at 25 though.

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Another sweet change: "Added the options to click through yourself, pets, and mercenaries when clicking on the screen".

Holy poo poo, the pet standing in front of poo poo i'm trying to loot has caused so much aggravation in me, what a welcome change!

Wanna cyber in a secluded area of PoK on AB sometime Pilsner, i hear rumor you're back in the one true server.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Clinton1011 posted:

If you haven't already you might want to reroll and get mercs on all 3 characters before test buffing. Mercs are free at level 1. If you have the plat to spar you can just buy them at 25 though.

I was wondering the best way to do this, it doesn't seem like you can testbuff while you are in the tutorial since the command did nothing on the 2 level 10 chars I had.

I had to create new toons and skip the tutorial for it to work, I'm guessing either that or actually completing the entire tutorial and then buffing.

I did notice they give you 0pp though which hopefully doesn't turn out to be a huge problem, should I just suck it up and finish the tutorial on my 2 guys already THEN test buff them or just keep going with the new 3box team?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Catullus posted:

Holy poo poo, the pet standing in front of poo poo i'm trying to loot has caused so much aggravation in me, what a welcome change!

Wanna cyber in a secluded area of PoK on AB sometime Pilsner, i hear rumor you're back in the one true server.
:gay:
I'm enjoying the low ping of AB for sure.

I'm also dabbling in EQMac at the moment. Contemplating what to box is half the work!

Scorps posted:

I was wondering the best way to do this, it doesn't seem like you can testbuff while you are in the tutorial since the command did nothing on the 2 level 10 chars I had.

I had to create new toons and skip the tutorial for it to work, I'm guessing either that or actually completing the entire tutorial and then buffing.

I did notice they give you 0pp though which hopefully doesn't turn out to be a huge problem, should I just suck it up and finish the tutorial on my 2 guys already THEN test buff them or just keep going with the new 3box team?
Odd, but anyway I never did the tutorial on Test, nor on Live for that matter except once when I returned a few years ago. You can leave the tutorial either via a tunnel or by saying "ready to leave" to the barbarian NPC.

Regarding plat, if you don't mind being spoiled, most goons can hook you up with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, for free.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Pilsner posted:

:gay:
I'm enjoying the low ping of AB for sure.

I'm also dabbling in EQMac at the moment. Contemplating what to box is half the work!

Odd, but anyway I never did the tutorial on Test, nor on Live for that matter except once when I returned a few years ago. You can leave the tutorial either via a tunnel or by saying "ready to leave" to the barbarian NPC.

Regarding plat, if you don't mind being spoiled, most goons can hook you up with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, for free.

I definitely don't mind being spoiled, I think I'll probably just stick with the 3 I rerolled and hope a kind Goon can loan me some plat to get mercs running and other various newbie tasks, I'll check around once I can get into the guild

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

All tradable things are basically limitless on test because of /testcopy. I've sent like 30 million to various goons on test from that. Someone should also have a manastone for you to play with while you're leveling up since that's about the only time you might be in old world content to use it.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I've got a manastone and money both, you're Ben? I'll parcel if you are. Finally moved the rest of my boxes out of the goon guild though, so you'll have to luck into catching someone else online (and not AFK grinding) for a guild invite :( If you're in Roost, make sure to /anon if you don't wanna get trained. Server's pretty anti-goon now due to whoever AFK mercs in Paw hahahah

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Clinton1011 posted:

Don't all new test accounts get the free skeleton merc anyway?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

I've got a manastone and money both, you're Ben? I'll parcel if you are. Finally moved the rest of my boxes out of the goon guild though, so you'll have to luck into catching someone else online (and not AFK grinding) for a guild invite :( If you're in Roost, make sure to /anon if you don't wanna get trained. Server's pretty anti-goon now due to whoever AFK mercs in Paw hahahah

He's not Ben, I'm Ben.

I'll take the money though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

My chars names are

Fistish - monk
Automatron - Shaman
Voidcall - mage

Plan to play primarily the monk so I would probably send any parcel to him, it would be greatly appreciated for any goodies anyone wants to send my way!

I do a /who for the guild every time I'm on I'll keep trying until I find someone, I don't have a ton of time to play just yet so I'm mostly just getting back into the swing of things for now and just wanna get all set up for some good 3 box grinding