Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hav posted:

Yeah, the ramp start for the DCS A-10 is the gold standard for over-simming, closely followed by Black Shark, but it's worth pointing out that the buttons that you're pressing actually have an effect. Forgetting the EKRAN or autopilot channels on Black Shark before takeoff is it's own reward. I'm with you, and I think that there's space in the market for differing levels of engagement from different projects. In Black Shark you're actually learning to fly a piece of real world machinery complete with mechanical foibles, whereas your starfighter is a vaguely abstract concept.

Kairo, you're doing a lovely job and you have vision. Don't let these jerks distract you.

And even the DCS games include easy start-up modes and non-sim flight models if you just want to fly the drat things and not preemptively qualify for military service. But its a lot easier to develop those things when they already exist in the real world. Developing a worthwhile 15 minute start-up sequence for completely fictional technology is a waste of time to any size of team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
On the subject of detailed start up sequences, most games don't need them, but having them in there gets you to feel more involved and more immersed in the game itself. Everything you are doing in that start up sequence reaches an end result that you created. The plane/helicopter/ship takes off because you pressed the buttons to make it move, and its a very rewarding feeling of completeness. It helps you focus and enter a zone where you pay attention to the little dials and switches and kbobs and takes you away from the whole experience of just watching a score number rack up.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Ringo Star Get posted:

On the subject of detailed start up sequences, most games don't need them, but having them in there gets you to feel more involved and more immersed in the game itself. Everything you are doing in that start up sequence reaches an end result that you created. The plane/helicopter/ship takes off because you pressed the buttons to make it move, and its a very rewarding feeling of completeness. It helps you focus and enter a zone where you pay attention to the little dials and switches and kbobs and takes you away from the whole experience of just watching a score number rack up.

This goes so well with your avatar.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ringo Star Get posted:

A good portion of the player base just wants to shoot things and focus on the actual battle, not hitting 50 buttons to leave a docking bay. I can be immersed in a military style game without having to scrub toilets or wake up at dawn to run 15 miles.

I certainly don't need to learn a startup sequence for a spaceship that doesn't exist.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kibayasu posted:

And even the DCS games include easy start-up modes and non-sim flight models if you just want to fly the drat things and not preemptively qualify for military service. But its a lot easier to develop those things when they already exist in the real world. Developing a worthwhile 15 minute start-up sequence for completely fictional technology is a waste of time to any size of team.
I don't really care much for intricate start-up sequences, but what I wish for is games to be really spergy about damage modelling. I want to fly my multi-engine fighter around, take a burst to an engine which kills it, and then suddenly have to deal with asymmetrical thrust as I skid around space at an odd angle. Instead of just reducing an arbitrary hull percentage to 0% you kill enemy fighters by hitting important things to knock em out and/or make em explode. Stuff like that. Most space sims are all or nothing when it comes to your ship where a 1% hull ship is just as functional as a 100% hull ship. The closest a space sim has come to this is probably Wing Commander where your fighter can get real hosed up with your targeting systems, engine, radio and such just bugging out. I know Freespace 2 technically has modules on fighters but in all my years of playing that game I'm pretty sure I can count the amount of times I've seen modules destroyed in that game on one hand.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Zaodai posted:

A good portion of the player base just wants to shoot things and focus on the actual battle, not hitting 50 buttons to leave a docking bay. I can be immersed in a military style game without having to scrub toilets or wake up at dawn to run 15 miles.

I certainly don't need to learn a startup sequence for a spaceship that doesn't exist.

I'm not saying that ES needs a start up sequence, just making a point that start up sequences can be fun as hell. I think even just an interesting "launch" from the ship will be more than enough, most games just plop you right in space.

Bruxism posted:

This goes so well with your avatar.

Ahyup. One of my favorite things to do in DCS Black Shark was to pretend I am a five year old that got onto an airbase and I have to get the helo to take off as soon as possible by jamming buttons and hitting switches.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Insert name here posted:

I don't really care much for intricate start-up sequences, but what I wish for is games to be really spergy about damage modelling. I want to fly my multi-engine fighter around, take a burst to an engine which kills it, and then suddenly have to deal with asymmetrical thrust as I skid around space at an odd angle. Instead of just reducing an arbitrary hull percentage to 0% you kill enemy fighters by hitting important things to knock em out and/or make em explode. Stuff like that. Most space sims are all or nothing when it comes to your ship where a 1% hull ship is just as functional as a 100% hull ship. The closest a space sim has come to this is probably Wing Commander where your fighter can get real hosed up with your targeting systems, engine, radio and such just bugging out. I know Freespace 2 technically has modules on fighters but in all my years of playing that game I'm pretty sure I can count the amount of times I've seen modules destroyed in that game on one hand.

I want this from all kinds of games. I want granularity of damage: Take a burst of fire to the front right of my ship, and I want the stuff located up there to spark and sizzle and not work. I want to know what's happening, but in a way that doesn't feel like a health bar, or a schematic that turns darker red as I get blowed up. I want a destroyed thruster to cause me to only be able to turn left, and have to work around that failure to get away with my skin.

EDIT:

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm not saying that ES needs a start up sequence, just making a point that start up sequences can be fun as hell. I think even just an interesting "launch" from the ship will be more than enough, most games just plop you right in space.

Even if it was as simple as flying out of the mothership/carrier, it lends a sense of ownership to whatever you're defending.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Far from a sim I know, but in X3 docking manually with stations once in a while gave me a quiet little smile. Most of the time yeah, just set SETA to max autopilot come on get on with it already, but as an optional thing it was kinda nice. :shobon:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ringo Star Get posted:

When the ship comes out of hyperspace in the video in the OP it seems pretty :krad: to me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yep, definitely an awesome, exciting sequence to throw the player into the flight part of the game.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Ciaphas posted:

Far from a sim I know, but in X3 docking manually with stations once in a while gave me a quiet little smile. Most of the time yeah, just set SETA to max autopilot come on get on with it already, but as an optional thing it was kinda nice. :shobon:

This is something the various Elite ports did quite well, it was satisfying as hell manually flying a the docking sequence and totally nailing it. I never bothered with the autopilot.

On the other hand, the physics in Frontier Elite II made autopilot an absolute necessity.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ringo Star Get posted:

I want the illusion of this without having to do anything. Like the startup sequence in Mechwarrior 2, with the computer voice saying stuff and the displays bleeping up.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
What about quicktime events for things like reactor ignition and launch catapults? :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kairo posted:

One ship right now (the Executor), which is mostly because I will only have to make one functioning cockpit. However, I am going to make loadouts go beyond weapon selection and have both pros and cons. So in the end you can make your ship feel like something different. I get where you're coming from though!

I may have been beaten here, but you can just give all ships the same cockpit and handwave it as a modular cockpit system. Like in Space: Above and Beyond!

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Bistromatic posted:

What about quicktime events for things like reactor ignition and launch catapults? :v:

Press X to not die launch.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder if Rogue System will make it. I like the complications and realism that they plan on putting in it, but any time I have to use a mouse to hit toggle switches, I start to lose interest. I guess there's a sweet spot.

e: To avoid another dogpile: a jump in and go game like this one should not have a ten minute startup sequence.

I really wanted Rogue System to succeed, I plugged the kickstarter repeatedly to my fanbase who generally adore anything with spaceships, I think I brought in a few thousand in KS pledges, but that was still1% of the goal.

Still I'm looking forwards to playing ES

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Kairo posted:

I love the Homeworld games! I think I skipped a week of class in college just to play the drat game when it came out (drat I'm old). My copy of Spacecraft, 2000-2100 A.D.: Terran Trade Authority Handbook should be arriving any day now. This book, along with Chris Foss's, evidently inspired a lot of their designs.

Good god I used to read my dad's copy of this all the time, I spent most of my childhood designing ships inspired by this.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

MrYenko posted:

I want this from all kinds of games. I want granularity of damage: Take a burst of fire to the front right of my ship, and I want the stuff located up there to spark and sizzle and not work. I want to know what's happening, but in a way that doesn't feel like a health bar, or a schematic that turns darker red as I get blowed up. I want a destroyed thruster to cause me to only be able to turn left, and have to work around that failure to get away with my skin.

Tie Fighter had some of this. I forget all the effects, but I definitely remember that your radar could be destroyed. I don't remember if there was an intermediate state before that. The side and back cameras could also get damaged. I don't remember if the map could ever get knocked out.

Could shields or weapon systems on your ship get taken out? That I don't remember.
Just having the radar system go down was a real "oh poo poo" moment, though, whenever it happened.

I also loved being able to shunt laser energy into engines on the missile boats (who needs lasers when you have more concussion missiles than God?), turn on the afterburners and zip around like a mobile platform of death.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

My favorite part of Tie Fighter was spending 15 minutes in a mission getting all of the secondary and hidden objectives, and then dying from a broken part of an X-Wing I just killed. I hope this game has a similar mechanic so I may impact test my xbox controller more effectively.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Bolow posted:

My favorite part of Tie Fighter was spending 15 minutes in a mission getting all of the secondary and hidden objectives, and then dying from a broken part of an X-Wing I just killed.

At least it's realistic! Tie-anythings usually have the strength of a paper plane in every Star Wars game I've played. :v:

e: Or rather, a paper plane packed with explosives that go off the instant someone so much as farts.

doctorfrog posted:

Starshatter

Oh man, I still have that game installed.

Twenty Drunk Apes fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 11, 2013

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Given that the game has permadeath, having to nervously "limp along home" on a malfunctioning ship could provide some memorable moments. I could also see some people really complaining about it, like breakable weapons in Far Cry 2 or System Shock. You don't necessarily want to make a player feel helpless and frustrated, you want them to feel god drat magnificent when they figure out a daring escape.

It's been over a year since I played Starshatter (open source and freeware now, check it out*), and I wouldn't advocate this exact model for this game, but it had individual systems that could be crippled and no magic bubble shields, and no magical repair meters. If something broke, you'd have to deal with it.

(The fighters and bombers were also as delicate as butterflies, like TIE fighters. When you "died" you simply flew another fighter/bomber/frigate/carrier, but that spacecraft was forever taken out of the war, so you'd be affecting attrition rate.)

Like IL-2, I'd had to limp home more than once on thrusters alone, or with overheating systems, or get my weapons shot out before striking anything. Likewise, I was able to do that to enemy fighters (or so the game convinced me). I've also been completely boned and have had my control or drive system shot out, and unfortunately, there were no automated rescue craft :(

* Read about it on my lovely blog here: https://drfrog.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/starshatter/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

animatorZed posted:

Tie Fighter had some of this. I forget all the effects, but I definitely remember that your radar could be destroyed. I don't remember if there was an intermediate state before that. The side and back cameras could also get damaged. I don't remember if the map could ever get knocked out.

Could shields or weapon systems on your ship get taken out? That I don't remember.
Just having the radar system go down was a real "oh poo poo" moment, though, whenever it happened.

I also loved being able to shunt laser energy into engines on the missile boats (who needs lasers when you have more concussion missiles than God?), turn on the afterburners and zip around like a mobile platform of death.

Important systems like weapons and shields could definitely be knocked out. I still remember doing one mission where I stupidly went into a head-to-head pass against an X-wing in my TIE Avenger, killed him but suffered some nasty damage, half the cockpit displays were busted out and much more worryingly, my engines had been knocked offline. It was quite tense sitting there at the edge of a dogfight for the minute or so it took the engines to auto-repair.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Important systems like weapons and shields could definitely be knocked out. I still remember doing one mission where I stupidly went into a head-to-head pass against an X-wing in my TIE Avenger, killed him but suffered some nasty damage, half the cockpit displays were busted out and much more worryingly, my engines had been knocked offline. It was quite tense sitting there at the edge of a dogfight for the minute or so it took the engines to auto-repair.

Pfft auto repair. You should have to get out and fix it during EVA.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
This game looks cool and I'll probably get around to trying it but you should probably edit this article so it actually points to the working download pages (the one you linked in the comments).

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I remember these now. Good times :)

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

*Cough cough.
Enemy Starfighter: Disabled to Recovery Transition

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

In TIE Fighter you'd have to call for a shuttle to come repair you, and you'd pray to Emperor Palpatine as the distance winded down that an A-Wing wouldn't fly by and sneeze on you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So this looks rad as hell and is bringing back all the wonderful memories of the X-Wing Series I'd built up in my youth. Do we have the faintest idea when this comes out?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

So this looks rad as hell and is bringing back all the wonderful memories of the X-Wing Series I'd built up in my youth. Do we have the faintest idea when this comes out?

Sometime this year, that's the extent of our knowledge until Kairo says otherwise.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Insert name here posted:

This game looks cool and I'll probably get around to trying it but you should probably edit this article so it actually points to the working download pages (the one you linked in the comments).

Fixed! I did have the correct links up at the beginning of the article, but I was lazy and didn't fix the bottom bits. Should be a lot clearer now. Thanks!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I love that little *flik* *flik* sound as the engine tries to restart.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

I want the illusion of this without having to do anything. Like the startup sequence in Mechwarrior 2, with the computer voice saying stuff and the displays bleeping up.

It might be an idea for sloading screens - like it will dump you into battle as soon as the level has loaded anyway, but in the meantime you can sit in the hangar and hit buttons that give messages like "Fusion Engine ignited" "Oxygen tanks stirred" "Master Weapons Switch Armed" etc.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

Pretty much this. Text scrolls and radio chatter, a pair of hands not under my control flipping some switches, the catapult gives you a swift kick into space and that's it. That's all I want and all most reasonable people need.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

doctorfrog posted:

I love that little *flik* *flik* sound as the engine tries to restart.

Reminds me of trying to get a gas grill lit on a windy day. Now I have a mental image of the pilot hanging out over the back end of the ship furiously flicking his lighter at the exhaust port and muttering curses to himself.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I am so loving stoked for this. I would love for there to be something of a Battlestar Galactica mode for this where fleet supplies are super limited and you're on the run from an overwhelming force while trying to scrounge supplies in any way possible. Make it to where you have to heavily ration things like Missiles and limit fighter casualties because you will only have limited reserves available.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DeathSandwich posted:

I am so loving stoked for this. I would love for there to be something of a Battlestar Galactica mode for this where fleet supplies are super limited and you're on the run from an overwhelming force while trying to scrounge supplies in any way possible. Make it to where you have to heavily ration things like Missiles and limit fighter casualties because you will only have limited reserves available.

So, a 3D, first person FTL?

Make sure the RNG screws you at every available opportunity.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DeathSandwich posted:

It sounds like ship supplies might be limited - the game has permadeath for ships which presumably only matters if you can't just pull infinite ships out of your rear end. But I'm not sure. And you're right that it's not a sort of Star Trek: Voyager situation.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

MrYenko posted:

So, a 3D, first person FTL?

I hope there are more games like FTL, where limping/losing/dying is taken into account as an element of gameplay. I think it's significant that my favorite memories from FTL involve how I lost the game... I'd love to see that put into a pseudosim like this.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mike Tipul posted:

Strike carriers warp in and launch their fighters, hoping to capture the system's jump nodes [...] On deck for right now. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but looks cooler, plus you can shoot them on the runway before launch [...] I definitely want to have different types of carriers though, so interior chutes may make an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/Tipul]

:aaa::fh:

I don't even care if he adds interior chutes, that is loving awesome on pretty much every level.

• Locked thread