Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

Is her phone language set to something other than English US?

No

Edit: well, it seems to work now. Weird.

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LastInLine posted:

Music Manager is so bad when it would be so easy to make native PC, Mac, and Linux apps that could fix so many problems in addition to the ones Music Manager as it exists brings on itself.
Yes, Music Manager is so bad. I'm just going to start clearing out my entire Play Music library once every month or two to force it to fix everything from my local copy.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Anyone else been having trouble lately with getting Songza to retain a favourite?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there an alternative camera app that uses your phone's gyros to stabilize it? I like taking pictures of bugs and it's kind of difficult when the phone is shaking around.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Steriletom posted:

Anyone else been having trouble lately with getting Songza to retain a favourite?

I haven't tried adding a favorite but the last week I want to say, songs will be repeated almost right after the first listen. It's getting really annoying.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

rolleyes posted:

That looks cool. Kind of like the Facebook Faces thing but for SMS only, and not tied to Facebook - i.e. infinitely better in my opinion. I may well give this a try.

Pretty much exactly what it is, they still have to add a compose feature to it because all it is good for now is replying to messages.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Can anyone recommend an app (preferably with widgets) that can tell me my voice and data signal levels? I need it to be able to tell the difference between LTE, 3/4g, and Edge. I also need some way to disable LTE entirely, hopefully again with a widget or toggle button.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Work uses Exchange for an email service, and while I use the various specific apps for my various web email (yahoo, hotmail, gmail) I've been using Google's "Email" that comes with the phone for my work email. It's... okay. But it only pushes emails that go directly to my Inbox, so none of the mails that get moved to sub-folders due to Rules let me know on my phone without explicitly going into that folder and refreshing.

I'm looking for the best email app for Android that acts the most like Outlook, and initial searches turn up a large number of them for $5 a pop. Rather than purchasing them and spending the 15 minutes trying to get my work email up and running on them only to find out the app is poo poo, I thought I'd ask here:

What is the best Android app for getting MS Exchange email on my phone?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Essobie posted:

Work uses Exchange for an email service, and while I use the various specific apps for my various web email (yahoo, hotmail, gmail) I've been using Google's "Email" that comes with the phone for my work email. It's... okay. But it only pushes emails that go directly to my Inbox, so none of the mails that get moved to sub-folders due to Rules let me know on my phone without explicitly going into that folder and refreshing.

I'm looking for the best email app for Android that acts the most like Outlook, and initial searches turn up a large number of them for $5 a pop. Rather than purchasing them and spending the 15 minutes trying to get my work email up and running on them only to find out the app is poo poo, I thought I'd ask here:

What is the best Android app for getting MS Exchange email on my phone?

I've never used it, but it gets cited enough for me to feel confident recommending Touchdown.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

ScarletBrother posted:

I've never used it, but it gets cited enough for me to feel confident recommending Touchdown.

I've spent a lot of time with Touchdown and Moxiermail and Touchdown is hands down the better client. I don't really have any complaints about it.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Cool... it was easy to setup, and a free 30 day trial is exactly what I needed. It appears to do everything I need it to. I'm home sick from work and answering emails on my phone was a giant pain. Now I just need a bunch of emails to come through today to know if I have any issues with it.

Thanks for the fast responses!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So here's a weird thing I'd like to be able to do. I guess it's not Android app specific but this is as good a place as any to ask.

Is it possible to get IMs, say from AIM or Gtalk, forwarded to me as SMS? And then some way to reply by SMS and have the recipient get the messages on their IM client? This is pretty niche but I have reasons why this would be useful to me.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Gilok posted:

So here's a weird thing I'd like to be able to do. I guess it's not Android app specific but this is as good a place as any to ask.

Is it possible to get IMs, say from AIM or Gtalk, forwarded to me as SMS? And then some way to reply by SMS and have the recipient get the messages on their IM client? This is pretty niche but I have reasons why this would be useful to me.

Don't aim and gtalk have this functionality built in?

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=223237

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does Touchdown still look like an app from 2010?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They've made it a bit better looking in the past year. Not the prettiest app but it works well enough.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Horn posted:

I've spent a lot of time with Touchdown and Moxiermail and Touchdown is hands down the better client. I don't really have any complaints about it.

Except that it is pretty ugly and expensive. Other than that, its awesome. My work setup is a little wonky and takes some fiddling with whenever I do a wipe. Also the backup/restore sucks and never seems to work for me. I was lucky enough to get it on an amazon sale, so I have to load the amazon store to use the unlock key. With my complains though, its still worth it to re-install every time.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's my biggest complaint so far. It has no problem allowing me to put 5+ shortcut buttons on the bottom row for things to do while reading a mail, and the side buttons are out of frame.

I haven't even checked to see how much it costs. If it's more than 5 bucks, I'll probably go back to Google's Email at the end of the 30 days.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is there any method of viewing/collecting device logs in Jelly Bean (4.1.1)? I'd like to help out an app that's giving me problems but it doesn't seem like any of the log collectors on the Play store work.

Not rooted, just stock.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
edit: nevermind.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there any messaging app that can handle MMS group messaging even somewhat competently? Facebook messenger doesn't even try, I tried using Sliding Messenger and it didn't work. There was one I used before, I think it was chomp SMS? Currently I use the default app for group messages.

They all seem to not be able to either send or receive properly. Sometimes a message will send multiple times, sometimes not at all. Sometimes the messages don't show up in the "group message" list but they show up as coming from me directly (and when I get messages from people in the group, one guy is also split out into his own message. I think he has an S3, probably using whatever default comes with it). I'm not on WiFi right now so whatever that dumb MMS bug that happens there isn't the problem.

I'm on a Nexus 4. Do I have something in my settings wrong? Is there a better solution out there? I think I've complained/asked about MMS here before...

iMessage was so great. It's really one of the defining features of an iPhone. I wish it was open. :sigh:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

Is there any method of viewing/collecting device logs in Jelly Bean (4.1.1)? I'd like to help out an app that's giving me problems but it doesn't seem like any of the log collectors on the Play store work.

Not rooted, just stock.
In Jelly Bean non-system apps can't view the logs of anything the app itself doesn't generate since that would be an obvious security hole. I suppose you could use ADB to push a log collector to system or simply pull the log with ADB yourself.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

myron cope posted:

Is there any messaging app that can handle MMS group messaging even somewhat competently? Facebook messenger doesn't even try, I tried using Sliding Messenger and it didn't work. There was one I used before, I think it was chomp SMS? Currently I use the default app for group messages.

I came from iOS as well and have been looking for the same thing. Right now I have goSMS which works, but has some quirks like periodic double-notifications for MMS, and bumping non-group threads when a group message arrives.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

myron cope posted:

They all seem to not be able to either send or receive properly. Sometimes a message will send multiple times, sometimes not at all. Sometimes the messages don't show up in the "group message" list but they show up as coming from me directly (and when I get messages from people in the group, one guy is also split out into his own message. I think he has an S3, probably using whatever default comes with it). I'm not on WiFi right now so whatever that dumb MMS bug that happens there isn't the problem.

I'm on a Nexus 4. Do I have something in my settings wrong? Is there a better solution out there? I think I've complained/asked about MMS here before...

iMessage was so great. It's really one of the defining features of an iPhone. I wish it was open. :sigh:

Handcent or goSms do group messaging fine.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Essobie posted:

This isn't quite true. If you go into those folders then go to the Sync settings you can set them to sync just like the Inbox does. However, you won't get notifications, so it probably doesn't help for you.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Essobie posted:

That's my biggest complaint so far. It has no problem allowing me to put 5+ shortcut buttons on the bottom row for things to do while reading a mail, and the side buttons are out of frame.

I haven't even checked to see how much it costs. If it's more than 5 bucks, I'll probably go back to Google's Email at the end of the 30 days.

If you do that, beware. If an admin kicks off a remote wipe on your account, if you're using Touchdown, it'll just bomb that. Stock email? Kiss all your phone's contents goodbye.

ed: it's £12.77 here in Blighty, but I'd willingly cough that up for safety's sake.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Kerbtree posted:

If you do that, beware. If an admin kicks off a remote wipe on your account, if you're using Touchdown, it'll just bomb that. Stock email? Kiss all your phone's contents goodbye.

ed: it's £12.77 here in Blighty, but I'd willingly cough that up for safety's sake.

Yep, this. Touchdown may be ugly, but if it were me I'd put up with ugly for the sake of not giving my employer complete authority over my device.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
1) I feel sorry for anyone who works for somewhere that has an IT department that would do such a thing.

2) Aren't all Exchange contacts on the Exchange server? My phone contacts are based on my gmail account, not my stock email application. What are you guys talking about?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If you're using the stock email app and they initiate a remote wipe (say, when you leave the company), it basically does a factory reset on your phone, as well as nuking your SD card.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Essobie posted:

1) I feel sorry for anyone who works for somewhere that has an IT department that would do such a thing.

2) Aren't all Exchange contacts on the Exchange server? My phone contacts are based on my gmail account, not my stock email application. What are you guys talking about?

In addition to what dik-dik said, to repsond to your points:

1) In which case you feel sorry for the vast majority of people who use their own devices to connect to company Exchange servers. It is standard security practice to initiate a remote wipe on lost devices. In some circumstances failure to do so would open the company up to civil or even criminal charges if it resulted in a data breach. This is not about being 'mean', this is about protecting information which is confidential to the company, private to the company's customers, or both - and ultimately about protecting the company (from aforementioned charges), as well as acting responsibly with sensitive data. Exchange administrators can also mandate device encryption and device lock password strength requirements, as well as automatic wipe if the password is entered incorrectly a certain number of times.

2) Just to re-emphasise, if you use the stock email app you will lose absolutely everything on your device when a wipe is initiated.

You really need to wise up to how BYOD works before you go for it, and I would suggest talking to someone appropriate at your company to find out what their policies are for wipes and encryption. If you still decided to proceed, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't use Touchdown to isolate your company's control away from the rest of your device.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 11, 2013

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
I guess that's why I'm confused. My company allows the use of personal devices for retrieving email remotely, but me using the Google Email doesn't in any way give someone the capability to remotely wipe everything on my phone. Or even just the contacts, much less anything on my SD card.

Now, I'm not saying that it can't happen... but I just don't see their way in. No one took my phone and installed anything on it or anything. I merely typed in my login and password into the email application (both Google Email and now Touchdown) and I'm able to send and receive work email on my phone.

If I were to leave the company, they'd certainly require me to delete any confidential emails or photos stored on my personal device, but I don't believe they have the capability to push a button somewhere and have my phone return to factory settings with a blank SD card. Or anything even close.

So how would they do this outside of making me hand over my phone?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Essobie posted:

but I don't believe they have the capability to push a button somewhere and have my phone return to factory settings with a blank SD card. Or anything even close.

You'd be surprised, apparently, because that's exactly what Exchange Server does when a remote wipe is initiated: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998614(v=exchg.150).aspx

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
So the difference is that using Touchdown, only Exchange data will be wiped from an ActiveSync remote wipe, while other email apps just nuke the whole phone? Good to know. I'm surprised this isn't the #1 selling point of Touchdown.

Edit: I'm still not 100% on this. What is to stop me from simply removing my credentials from any Exchange email application on my phone before a remote wipe is sent? Won't that just prevent the wipe from occurring? Sure, it won't stop some mistaken remote wipe, but if (for some reason) I know I'm leaving my company (which I'm probably not ever) there's no risk to my entire phone so long as I remember to remove the syncing to their server before they fire the wipe.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 11, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Google Apps for Enterprise also supports remote wipe and device policy, by the way. If your employer is a GApps customer and you add your work Google account to the phone, caveat emptor.

Essobie posted:

So the difference is that using Touchdown, only Exchange data will be wiped from an ActiveSync remote wipe, while other email apps just nuke the whole phone? Good to know. I'm surprised this isn't the #1 selling point of Touchdown.

Yes. Touchdown partitions all the Exchange data off, so the device policy only applies to Touchdown. I am actually surprised they haven't started seeding social media with "they fired Jane Doe but wiped John Doe's phone and all his pictures of his kids" stories to sell their app.

Essobie posted:

Edit: I'm still not 100% on this. What is to stop me from simply removing my credentials from any Exchange email application on my phone before a remote wipe is sent? Won't that just prevent the wipe from occurring? Sure, it won't stop some mistaken remote wipe, but if (for some reason) I know I'm leaving my company (which I'm probably not ever) there's no risk to my entire phone so long as I remember to remove the syncing to their server before they fire the wipe.

If you remove the account, then it won't connect to Exchange and won't see the wipe request come from Exchange. The device on the Exchange server still gets flagged for wipe, though, so if you ever use those credentials to sign in again on that device, your phone will wipe immediately.

IIRC, or at least how my old company configured it, if a device were flagged for wipe it would be permanently flagged unless you went in and de-flagged it. So every time you signed in with that device, bam, wipe.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 11, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Essobie posted:

I guess that's why I'm confused. My company allows the use of personal devices for retrieving email remotely, but me using the Google Email doesn't in any way give someone the capability to remotely wipe everything on my phone. Or even just the contacts, much less anything on my SD card.

Now, I'm not saying that it can't happen... but I just don't see their way in. No one took my phone and installed anything on it or anything. I merely typed in my login and password into the email application (both Google Email and now Touchdown) and I'm able to send and receive work email on my phone.

If I were to leave the company, they'd certainly require me to delete any confidential emails or photos stored on my personal device, but I don't believe they have the capability to push a button somewhere and have my phone return to factory settings with a blank SD card. Or anything even close.

You have access to OWA?

Log in, go to options and the Phones. You should see your phone listed there. Right there, there's a little button that says "Wipe Device." This can also be initiated from the exchange server side by an administrator.

It's a built in part of the EAS protocol. When a device fully supports EAS, there's a hook in the OS that allows you to initiate a factory reset of the device remotely. What touchdown (and a few other apps do) is not pass that reset to the device and instead just wipes the application clear. Touchdown has additional protections of being able to lock it down so you can't save attachments outside the application and encrypts it's own information store which makes it secure for it not to wipe the whole phone.

It's a regulatory compliance thing. We are required, by law, to have the ability to do this. It's not a company being overly paranoid thing. It's a "if a phone is stolen and it can't be remote wiped, it could have serious legal and financial repercussions to the company" thing. Not all companies have to do it. However, if you deal with healthcare, ecommerce, or financials, it's pretty much a given that you'll be up poo poo creek if someone loses a device and you weren't able to wipe the email info on it remotely.

Essobie posted:

The idea isn't that they are going to be remote wiping the device if you leave the company (though, it's a possibility I suppose, especially if you left under bad circumstances). You are still in possession of the device, they can verify with you that all email data is deleted. If any confidential information gets out that you have access to, they have legal means to pursue you for those damages. Remote wipe is mainly for a lost or stolen situation.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 11, 2013

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Essobie posted:

Make sure you read that fine text when you connect to an Exchange account w/ the email app. You most certainly can initiate a remote wipe from the Exchange admin console.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
A lot of companies will let you expense Touchdown, especially if they already have a BYOD policy. I know my work *prefers* it over native clients.

In other news, Samsung Push Service just updated. I think it's just some system app for Samsung devices that few people probably actually use, but it consistently has the best comments of any app I've seen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nitrodesk also allows you to purchases full licenses directly from them. So, that's also an option for BYOD. The company can purchase a bunch of licenses and you just enter the key.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Log in, go to options and the Phones. You should see your phone listed there. Right there, there's a little button that says "Wipe Device." This can also be initiated from the exchange server side by an administrator.

One of our admins actually wiped his own SGS3 because he didn't believe the wipe option would actually work - quite amusing really.

The remote wipe option has never worried me, but then I work in a fairly small organisation and I highly doubt it would ever happen. Even if it does it'd be an annoyance at most - everything on the phone is backed up anyway. That said we don't have the PIN or password requirement turned on - that would be really aggravating.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it literally true that any phone with an Exchange account added to the stock Email app can be remote wiped? I thought that required a device administrator to be added. I know that enforcing security settings (PIN or password) requires one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tunga posted:

Is it literally true that any phone with an Exchange account added to the stock Email app can be remote wiped? I thought that required a device administrator to be added. I know that enforcing security settings (PIN or password) requires one.

It will ask to add a device administrator - if you decline it won't add the account.

• Locked thread