Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Do enemies keep dropping Health and Regen Motes upon death throughout the game, or is this just a low level thing? If they do, I'm going to keep rounding them up five or six at a time because no matter how much damage I end up taking (never more than 25%, because I'm new and bad), they drop enough that I recover all of it. Also, Lancers own hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Luminous Cow posted:

Do enemies keep dropping Health and Regen Motes upon death throughout the game, or is this just a low level thing? If they do, I'm going to keep rounding them up five or six at a time because no matter how much damage I end up taking (never more than 25%, because I'm new and bad), they drop enough that I recover all of it. Also, Lancers own hard.
Always, it's a pretty cool mechanic.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Tensei posted:

I wouldn't put too much stock in how much fun the soloing experience of a particular class is, because honestly, once the novelty of the combat system wears off, endlessly repeating the same couple of yellow quests will suck no matter what you're playing. I might be slightly biased having 4 level 60s, but to me the bulk of the games content lies in endgame PvE, which happens to be something a Mystic excels at. Not to mention that the gold/gear grind at level 60 will likely take up more time than the actual leveling of a character.

Oh poo poo. Now I see why I'm so bored on the RP server. The novelty of playing an archer wore off.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Wish I had come to the party earlier, no fun starting a game a year out but it looks pretty great and I didn't care for nevewinter- 30 gigs is huge though! Hopefully can try it out tomorrow.

E; Wow, this is what a MMO in 2013 should look like, it's gorgeous. It's hard to believe this level of visual detail is possible in a MMO after seeing Neverwinter, I thought the genre just hadn't improved at all visually since Vanguard. I hope I like the gameplay :ohdear:

What's tanking like without targets? It's such an odd idea- are priests slow to level?

Umph fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 8, 2013

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Umph posted:

What's tanking like without targets? It's such an odd idea- are priests slow to level?

Tanking is pretty fun. You mitigate damage by blocking with your shield/swords, which completely negates damage from the direction that you're facing, but also makes you immobile and unable to attack. Blocking uses up your Resolve bar, which in turn can be filled up through attacking, so proper tanking is often a matter of reactively blocking enemy attacks (most of them have obvious tells), and attacking/taunting in the downtime between enemy attacks to generate aggro/resolve.

Priests are alright when it comes to leveling. Not the fastest, but they have some good AoE and a lot of heals, so you can afford to play pretty recklessly and just eat attacks where other classes would have to waste time dodging or blocking.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So I've seen the tera PvP comic and it seemed to show Mystic as being useless vs Priest, is that really the case?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Yakumo posted:

The nutjob that has to deal with it to get to the good stuff? Unless you have a static leveling buddy or are willing to pair up with random people, you're probably going to have to solo a fair bit.

so one that is literally out of their mind.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Anatharon posted:

So I've seen the tera PvP comic and it seemed to show Mystic as being useless vs Priest, is that really the case?

They're good in PVP for their crit aura still, but they die a lot easier than priests and lack the same amount of area heals 15v15 needs. When it comes to PvE, mystics are usually preferred because they increase DPS a lot more than a priest.

iRoNgHosT
Mar 10, 2003

www.fusionball.com
Playing my new warrior Exitus, and applied to the guild. I forgot how fun and pretty this game is!

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Can anyone enlighten me about locked strongboxes? Does the market fluctuate a lot? When I first started (a few weeks ago?) they were at least a gold each if not more. Today, I was going to post some on the broker but they're down to like 15s each. Which is more common to see? Should I buy it up, will it be a bull market?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

BambooEarpick posted:

Can anyone enlighten me about locked strongboxes? Does the market fluctuate a lot? When I first started (a few weeks ago?) they were at least a gold each if not more. Today, I was going to post some on the broker but they're down to like 15s each. Which is more common to see? Should I buy it up, will it be a bull market?

There was an event I think 2 weeks ago which increased the chance of getting MES from lockboxes. Event's over now so they've dropped back to their original price again.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Yea basically never sell keys or lockboxes unless theres an event happening related to them as the price will always skyrocket.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/store-items/mounts#munchhausen-mount

This is kinda interesting; Riding the new store mount increases MP regeneration.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I was having a hell of a time staying mobile in combat as an Archer. I used to be a goddamn wizard of running, jumping, and flying while tossing out a dozen powers in CoH, but those days are long behind me apparently.

So, gave the 360 controller a whirl. Two nights of relearning "where" my powers were and it's entirely playable.

Uh, just tossing that out there for anyone who might benefit from the switch.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

If anyone has an account with a Priest (or maybe Mystic but Priest is more important) at 50-60 who he's willing to part or at least share with me, please PM me.

The sharing part goes for anyone with a 60 btw, it'll probably be shared to more people than just me depending on who needs it (I wrote something about it on the offsite forums ages ago)

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
My priest has sat at 51 for about 2 months, enjoyed the leveling but the idea of p2w end game scared me lol. Sent you a PM

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't really think you have to resort to p2w for the endgame at all though?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, the endgame isn't P2W at all. It's probably one of the most sensible F2P models I've seen (everything is accessible without elite, elite only grants double dungeon entries/some boosts/etc, nothing gamebreaking)

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
I'm guessing that with Conjunct you will notice the biggest difference from the weapon (Sorcerer), correct? I get itchy just holding on to these materials...

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Conjunct <> Fraywind and VM <> Conjunct are all pretty noticeable (a VM sorc with Firesight robe oneshots PVP geared 161 priests in 3v3s...)

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Anatharon posted:

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/store-items/mounts#munchhausen-mount

This is kinda interesting; Riding the new store mount increases MP regeneration.
That is the most amazing mount I've ever seen.

Superkroot
Aug 5, 2009
Is it weird that ive been enjoying playing Mystic solo, if only because I get to create a conga line of death gathering every monster in a 5 mile radius, melt them down with magic explosions, all while keeping myself at full health with balls I poop out?

Though this is still low level, 18 right now. Does this become impossible at higher levels?

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Superkroot posted:

Is it weird that ive been enjoying playing Mystic solo, if only because I get to create a conga line of death gathering every monster in a 5 mile radius, melt them down with magic explosions, all while keeping myself at full health with balls I poop out?

Though this is still low level, 18 right now. Does this become impossible at higher levels?

For me it has not (although I haven't played for the past month), at level 36 or so. I would send my Thrall to gather mobs, let him get some of the agro and then spam metamorphic blast and strike until all are dead. Usually while my Thrall is grabbing agro (or before) I was pooping out balls to sustain HP and MP.

While that was fun, dungeons were what I looked forward to. Be ready to be ridiculed as a Mystic. The dungeons I did, it seemed pubs didn't understand that Mystics don't have the powerful heals Priests have and they need to eat our balls.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Solo leveling doesn't get bad until level 52. At this point the quest line takes you to Elenea. Normal monsters have alot more health but your DPS potential from Metamorphic Smite/Blast through weapon upgrades has been tapering off since level 45 and is almost frozen.

I'm currently at level 55 and I have run out of yellow quests. Thrall of Protection is for lack of a better word, loving useless for holding aggro because it spends most of its time knocked down.

At this level, most other classes buy double xp scrolls, go to Pathfinder's Post and herd up 10+ Mutagos or Bears and nuke the poo poo of them for 210,000 exp per kill. As a Mystic you will find out the hard way that you can't do that. You really cant risk getting clipped by 3 or 4 attacks at once because you will almost certainly be knockdown so the number of monsters you can kite safely is low. Your DPS is poo poo so whilst a Slayer can melt 10 bears in seconds, it takes you about 3 minutes to kill just 2.

At level 55 you need 42 million exp to get to level 56. I pick up the next red story quest at 56. I'm beginning to feel the pain now and I see what people were saying about Mystic leveling and why there are so few of them for endgame pve. Mobgrind is quick and safe for any DPS class. Its actually faster than quest xp. The opposite is true for Mystics but the only thing I've got left is Sky Garden and Elenea repeatables. Its slow and excrutiating at this point. I'm going to try and find a DPS leveling buddy tonight until I get bored of blasting bears. Hopefully the crit and strength buff will be desirable but I see Sorcerers, Archers, Slayers and Warriors owning that poo poo by themselves.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 10, 2013

Tevye317
Feb 16, 2012
Recently started playing this game. Had avoided it due to bad reputation coming from skimpy outfits and a certain race. Fortunately it turns out this game is awesome and i should have started playing sooner. Actually rolled up an Elin Slayer and it is hilarious/awesome seeing her wave around a giant sword. Still trying to decide who my main will be but when I get that figured out I'll apply to thew guild.

I also love what ya'll did in Acadia. Being able to level without worry of ganking was the best. I was wondering who I should vote for in the other regions come election time though.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

WanderingKid posted:

Solo leveling doesn't get bad until level 52. At this point the quest line takes you to Elenea. Normal monsters have alot more health but your DPS potential from Metamorphic Smite/Blast through weapon upgrades has been tapering off since level 45 and is almost frozen.

I'm currently at level 55 and I have run out of yellow quests. Thrall of Protection is for lack of a better word, loving useless for holding aggro because it spends most of its time knocked down.

At this level, most other classes buy double xp scrolls, go to Pathfinder's Post and herd up 10+ Mutagos or Bears and nuke the poo poo of them for 210,000 exp per kill. As a Mystic you will find out the hard way that you can't do that. You really cant risk getting clipped by 3 or 4 attacks at once because you will almost certainly be knockdown so the number of monsters you can kite safely is low. Your DPS is poo poo so whilst a Slayer can melt 10 bears in seconds, it takes you about 3 minutes to kill just 2.

At level 55 you need 42 million exp to get to level 56. I pick up the next red story quest at 56. I'm beginning to feel the pain now and I see what people were saying about Mystic leveling and why there are so few of them for endgame pve. Mobgrind is quick and safe for any DPS class. Its actually faster than quest xp. The opposite is true for Mystics but the only thing I've got left is Sky Garden and Elenea repeatables. Its slow and excrutiating at this point. I'm going to try and find a DPS leveling buddy tonight until I get bored of blasting bears. Hopefully the crit and strength buff will be desirable but I see Sorcerers, Archers, Slayers and Warriors owning that poo poo by themselves.
The point really gets hammered home when you realize Mystics are the only class that cannot level in the best way. It is demoralizing, to say the least. You're almost there though, not much point in ceasing the slamming of your balls in a car door after the 56th time with 4 more slams to go.

Superkroot
Aug 5, 2009

WanderingKid posted:

This is kinda depressing... but hopefully with some boosts and maybe a grinding buddy, it wont be so bad and not take an excruciating amount of grinding to get to lvl 60, right?

....Right? :smithicide:

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Played for a bit awhile ago and got to a priest to 53 before getting a bit bored but i feel like playing this again so I've applied to the guild.
Anybody wanna level with me? AUTZ.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
Any suggestions on a leveling duo that will excel in pvp together? Me and a bud are going to give this game a shot. We were leaning towards Priest + Warrior as it seems the obvious choice.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Superkroot posted:

This is kinda depressing... but hopefully with some boosts and maybe a grinding buddy, it wont be so bad and not take an excruciating amount of grinding to get to lvl 60, right?

....Right? :smithicide:

Nope. I have your salvation. I did level 60 Argon BAMs with Slashu. He asked me to do it because he was hunting for vitriols and wanted the crit aura to make the whole thing go ridiculously fast because you are doubling his crit rate. At level 55 I got 1.9 million exp per kill with a double xp scroll, and he was solo killing them in around 1 minute? After about 15 minutes or so I had gained over half a level.

He had to leave but I still had 45 minutes of +100% exp left, so I asked if Linster wanted a crit aura buddy. He was also level 55 and doing bears outside Pathfinder's Post with his Archer. Its not feasible solo but you can melt 15+ between the two of you and its totally safe and quite fast. Not as fast as 60 Argon BAMs with a souped DPS but much faster than questing.

Moral of the story. When you get to level 50ish, start looking in guild chat for 1 person that wants to party up with you for exp or crit buffs. You aren't soloing past level 55 without feeling the pain, but if you have a DPS buddy, the exp is seriously quicker and easier than sub level 20, solo.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 11, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just in case there are some actual EU players out there, I'm selling an EU cd-key on SA-Mart. Sorry if self-promotion like this is disallowed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Just in case there are some actual EU players out there, I'm selling an EU cd-key on SA-Mart. Sorry if self-promotion like this is disallowed.

No, it's fine. I just don't think you'll find anyone playing on EU, sadly.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

No, it's fine. I just don't think you'll find anyone playing on EU, sadly.

Yeah, I had bought the key thinking I'd be able to use it on NA, not the case unfortunately. No idea why I thought that either.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I've been really getting into lancer lately, but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what to do in certain situations while tanking in instances. For example, when pulling a bunch of trash, should I just hold down block and use the shield counter whenever it's off cooldown, or do some attacks to generate additional aggro? I find that when I do the latter I tend to get quickly killed, however if I don't attack I occasionally lose aggro and have to shout to get it back. What should I be doing? Should I just use Wallop instead of Shield Barrage and Spring Attack?

Also, how important is it to spam Debilitate? It's hard to remember to keep it up, so I rarely get three stacks of it up on anything.

Lastly, if someone could post a screenshot with their skill/hotkey layout I'd really appreciate it. I think a lot of my difficulties in tanking stem from the fact that I often can't find the key I want to hit because it's too far from WASD. I understand that I should probably stick with whatever I'm most comfortable with, but seeing as I'm definitely not comfortable with what I've tried so far I don't know what that should be.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I've been really getting into lancer lately, but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what to do in certain situations while tanking in instances. For example, when pulling a bunch of trash, should I just hold down block and use the shield counter whenever it's off cooldown, or do some attacks to generate additional aggro? I find that when I do the latter I tend to get quickly killed, however if I don't attack I occasionally lose aggro and have to shout to get it back. What should I be doing? Should I just use Wallop instead of Shield Barrage and Spring Attack?

Also, how important is it to spam Debilitate? It's hard to remember to keep it up, so I rarely get three stacks of it up on anything.
I looked through lancer skills to find an equivalent for warrior's Torrent of Blows which is basically the only skill I need to hold aggro, but I didn't find anything resembling it. It's basically a melee-range taunt on a short cooldown. I suppose you could try wearing +aggro crystals?

In any case, debilitate isn't really important during trash because they die so fast. During bosses, however, you should try to keep it up and stacked to max as much as possible - because every dps benefits from it, it's much larger an increase in damage than any other skill you can weave in.

The Ezell
May 11, 2003
I play football. No, not that football. The other kind.

I've been really getting into lancer lately, but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what to do in certain situations while tanking in instances...

Tanking mechanics in tera are really very boss/bam-centric. Trying to hold aggro on and block tons of mobs just isn't very practical usually. In situations like that worry less about taking damage/aggro and more about keeping it off others - use your crowd control skills. That said, in a pinch, if you aren't flanked, doing nothing but blocking and countering can keep you alive when getting beat on by 20+ things (but so would kiting).

While tanking my most commonly used combos are Barrage > Spring and Counter > Wallop. That's usually all you can fit in between blocks (and even then attack speed helps). Then use the extra time when they're executing secondary aggro attacks to execute longer combos and/or use your utility skills. Barrage and Counter are your best threat skills and can be glyphed for even more. Spring Attack and Wallop are your second best threat skills as your most damaging attacks. Avoid using Onslaught while tanking.

Always keep debilitate up on bosses, and glyph it. The glyph may sound like a luxury glyph, but it's really not. As an attack debilitate is terrible (both damage and threat) so the less you have to use it to keep it stacked the better.

My UI is tiny so a screenshot would be illegible, but fwiw I use the following keys:
`-5 (tilde through 5), q, e, z, x (almost everything important is here)
alt + all of the above
shift + all of the above

And just as a note, everything about tanking pre-60 is misleading. The level range on instance matching can stick you with higher level dps that you stand no chance of holding aggro against. Add secondary aggro attacks into the mix and you might be a great tank but look terrible in a given run.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Lastly, if someone could post a screenshot with their skill/hotkey layout I'd really appreciate it. I think a lot of my difficulties in tanking stem from the fact that I often can't find the key I want to hit because it's too far from WASD. I understand that I should probably stick with whatever I'm most comfortable with, but seeing as I'm definitely not comfortable with what I've tried so far I don't know what that should be.
I posted about this earlier, but having switched from keyboard/mouse to a 360 controller the other night, uh, I couldn't imagine going back. Every power is super easy to access and I'm much more mobile/responsive now that one hand isn't competing for WASD and power use. Then again, I'm playing ranged DPS easy mode. Not sure how the controller meets the demands of tanking.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
I've tried out using a controller as a Warrior but it didn't really cut it. I barely had enough buttons to bind all essential skills, and I had no room for some situational skills such as Smoke Aggressor or Deadly Gamble. Later dungeons also pretty much require you to have fast access to potion/charm/scroll hotkeys. It might be worthwile to try with a Berserker though. :v:

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

The Ezell posted:

Tanking mechanics in tera are really very boss/bam-centric. Trying to hold aggro on and block tons of mobs just isn't very practical usually. In situations like that worry less about taking damage/aggro and more about keeping it off others - use your crowd control skills. That said, in a pinch, if you aren't flanked, doing nothing but blocking and countering can keep you alive when getting beat on by 20+ things (but so would kiting).

While tanking my most commonly used combos are Barrage > Spring and Counter > Wallop. That's usually all you can fit in between blocks (and even then attack speed helps). Then use the extra time when they're executing secondary aggro attacks to execute longer combos and/or use your utility skills. Barrage and Counter are your best threat skills and can be glyphed for even more. Spring Attack and Wallop are your second best threat skills as your most damaging attacks. Avoid using Onslaught while tanking.

Always keep debilitate up on bosses, and glyph it. The glyph may sound like a luxury glyph, but it's really not. As an attack debilitate is terrible (both damage and threat) so the less you have to use it to keep it stacked the better.

My UI is tiny so a screenshot would be illegible, but fwiw I use the following keys:
`-5 (tilde through 5), q, e, z, x (almost everything important is here)
alt + all of the above
shift + all of the above

And just as a note, everything about tanking pre-60 is misleading. The level range on instance matching can stick you with higher level dps that you stand no chance of holding aggro against. Add secondary aggro attacks into the mix and you might be a great tank but look terrible in a given run.

Thanks for this, I really appreciate it!

The layout on hotkeys looks great and I can already see that it's much less awkward to reach all those than it has been to hit the F keys. Out of curiosity, do you bind your attack keys to q-e-z-x or the number keys? Do you use alt- and shift- keys for utilities or long cooldown skills? Where should I put something like wallop or the stun attack as compared to, say, challenging shout or leash or menacing wave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ezell
May 11, 2003
I play football. No, not that football. The other kind.

Thanks for this, I really appreciate it!

The layout on hotkeys looks great and I can already see that it's much less awkward to reach all those than it has been to hit the F keys. Out of curiosity, do you bind your attack keys to q-e-z-x or the number keys? Do you use alt- and shift- keys for utilities or long cooldown skills? Where should I put something like wallop or the stun attack as compared to, say, challenging shout or leash or menacing wave?

This is more legible than I thought it would be: http://i.imgur.com/nS9tWZQ.jpg

I have a habit of trying to keep similar skills in the same spot across classes. Oh, and the game has some funny issue with the alt+` bind, it'll just stop working until client reset occasionally.

• Locked thread