Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
In Excel, how can I enter a consecutive range of dates (or other numbers) across multiple cells without having to manually type the next date in each cell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I could see that moving the price to where they were the same, but for it literally to be cheaper to get the 4 packs there must be a lot of folks not paying attention.

Well making them the same price would probably be less profitable for the supermarket then what they're doing now, presumably. Like I said, it mostly depends on what the people who the store buys from are charging.

One of the supermarkets around here tends to have 6 packs of soda on those plastic ring holders for cheaper per soda then a 12 pack box, but there's a lot of times where the 12 pack would be more convenient to transport and carry , so there's that to factor in as well.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

muike posted:

How should I handle the total spergfit I want to have whenever I see someone use "yea" instead of "yeah"

Convince yourself that yea is real.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thanks for pointing out exactly why it bothers me

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Raimundus posted:

In Excel, how can I enter a consecutive range of dates (or other numbers) across multiple cells without having to manually type the next date in each cell?

Piece of cake.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dokmo posted:

Piece of cake.

In addition you can do this with any sort of letters/numbers/days/months/etc, but its usually a good idea to type out two cells and highlight both, then fill (sometimes it will just fill the cells with the exact copy of the original cell, so two cells makes it obvious you're filling in a range and not just the same number). If the picture isnt clear enough, you highlight a cell/range then click and drag the bottom right corner to fill in more cells.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

razz posted:

I have a mini-fridge but I don't need the freezer part because I have a big chest freezer. So the freezer part is just taking up valuable fridge space.

Can I somehow remove the little freezer section without screwing the whole thing up? The "freezer" isn't a separate sealed part, it's just a metal shelf kind of hanging from the top, and it's completely open on the back and has a little door on the front that just closes via a spring. This makes me think I can just remove the "freezer" and the fridge will still just work fine. Am I right in assuming that the only reason the mini-fridge even HAS a freezer is because that's the coldest part of the fridge? There is a tube that comes up from the bottom of the fridge and terminates inside of the "freezer".

It's pretty much identical to this one, the freezer being the little compartment on the top right. On my fridge the temparature dial is on the other side, not next to the freezer.

Yes you can remove the shelf and adjust the cooling setting to make it all like a fridge, but it'll always be relatively colder in that upper area.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I'm not 100% on your particular model but most of those fridges the freezer is the actual cooling element. It's just a freezer because things are closer to or contained within it.

So yes, you'll probably mess up your fridge and maybe yourself because IIRC the stuff used for cooling is pretty toxic.

Cursory search says it isn't all that toxic but probably not stuff you want to be dealing with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane
Unless your fridge has a coolant leak (in which case you'll be "exposed" to Tetrafluoroethane for a short while regardless of what you do or don't do with the shelf / freezer partition) or the cooling tubes are embedded in the shelf/partition, you can do whatever you want. Mechanical separations mean pretty much nothing as long as they don't have vapor-carrying pipes in them. If they do and you break them you'll know it in seconds and your "Toxic" (not toxic) coolant exposure will be a few seconds before the fridge stops working altogether.

In short: do what you want with the shelves / enclosures, don't break pipes, deal with it always being colder in the "freezer" area, ignore CEB always and forever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I could see that moving the price to where they were the same, but for it literally to be cheaper to get the 4 packs there must be a lot of folks not paying attention.

I worked in a small grocery store in the 80s. We had these nasty-rear end imported chocolate bars that we couldn't get rid of. They were priced at 49¢. So, we repriced them at 2/$1 and they flew out the door.

Yeah, most people don't pay attention.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

randyest posted:

In short: do what you want with the shelves / enclosures, don't break pipes, deal with it always being colder in the "freezer" area, ignore CEB always and forever.

The "shelf" for the freezer is usually the cooling element in those types of fridges. If it's not easily removed it probably is that type.

"Do what you want and don't break poo poo" is probably in the manual though, so I'd go with that option.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

dokmo posted:

Piece of cake.

Aaaaaah I had no idea!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mister Kingdom posted:

I worked in a small grocery store in the 80s. We had these nasty-rear end imported chocolate bars that we couldn't get rid of. They were priced at 49¢. So, we repriced them at 2/$1 and they flew out the door.

Yeah, most people don't pay attention.
Really? I have two different ones and the cooling tubes are in the top (more dense there than along the back and sides.) The "freezer" shelf is just a shelf that pops out with no trouble. I guess it depends on the model. But for sure you're correct: don't mess with the coolant tubes!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How fast does bad bacteria or whatever build up in milk residue in a used glass?

I drink milk with most meals, and usually just leave my empty glass on the table since I'll be back to in a few hours to use it again. My roommate insists that even after just 4 hours, bad stuff will form in the residue, and that I should use a new glass every meal. It seems like a waste to me use 2-3 glasses a day like that, and she claims that just rinsing it isn't enough. Am I being lazy or is she being overzealous about germs?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Has there ever been a situation where a mature, modern republic did not have formal political parties? I mean, people could still band together if they wanted, organize, call themselves a name, but what about no recognition? No party identification on ballots, no special treatment of certain parties, no assigned seating in the legislature based on party, no majority or party leaders, etc. I'm curious how well that would function.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

Has there ever been a situation where a mature, modern republic did not have formal political parties? I mean, people could still band together if they wanted, organize, call themselves a name, but what about no recognition? No party identification on ballots, no special treatment of certain parties, no assigned seating in the legislature based on party, no majority or party leaders, etc. I'm curious how well that would function.

Nebraska's legislature has no political parties (by law).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A lot of people don't compare prices and a lot of those people just buy the larger sizes because they're usually cheaper.

muike posted:

How should I handle the total spergfit I want to have whenever I see someone use "yea" instead of "yeah"

Take a breath, consider how completely irrelevant it is to your life and your happiness, and move on. This also works on infuriating comments on websites. You can get angry and reply to them to tell them how wrong they are, or... you can not do that. You'll probably find you're much happier taking the second option.

Xenoborg posted:

How fast does bad bacteria or whatever build up in milk residue in a used glass?

I drink milk with most meals, and usually just leave my empty glass on the table since I'll be back to in a few hours to use it again. My roommate insists that even after just 4 hours, bad stuff will form in the residue, and that I should use a new glass every meal. It seems like a waste to me use 2-3 glasses a day like that, and she claims that just rinsing it isn't enough. Am I being lazy or is she being overzealous about germs?

It'll probably be fine, but why not just thoroughly rinse your glass at the end of the meal and leave it to dry, ready to use next time? It'll take you a few seconds and then there's no risk at all.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Xenoborg posted:

That is gross dude. Rinse it for sure. I don't have any actual proof on this but ugh.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Milk spoils especially quickly, and it leaves a visible residue on surfaces even after rinsing. Use a new glass, sir.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raimundus posted:

Milk spoils especially quickly, and it leaves a visible residue on surfaces even after rinsing. Use a new glass, sir.

This isn't really necessary. Goon law dictates that if the smell of any given food or drink isn't immediately and intensely repulsive... go for it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Golbez posted:

A few of the Territorial governments in Canada operate like this and from what I can tell it works out a lot better than if they had a party system.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

muike posted:

Be grateful you don't live in Taiwan, where people use "ya" instead of "yeah" all the god-damned time.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Xenoborg posted:

Your roommate probably just wants you to stop being a slob.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
When does Burger King start serving breakfast?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats the best way to get started on peeling an orange?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Wirth1000 posted:

When does Burger King start serving breakfast?

Breakfast is generally from 5:00 am to 10:30 am, but that sort of thing tends to vary by location. Just call them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Baron Porkface posted:

If the skin's too tough for you to dig your fingernails in, use a knife to flay a little off and you can normally peel the rest of it by hand.

Experto Crede posted:

The entire juice market is built around arbitrary differences and people totally honestly tasting the difference, honest. From concentrate, pure, with bits, smooth, etc. it's all basically just crap to shill more product, because st the end of the day, juice is juice.

You can't tell the difference between juice with bits and juice without?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Baron Porkface posted:

I use a spoon, myself, with the bowl curved towards the orange.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Generally speaking, what's the difference between a variable and an object in programming?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hooah posted:

Generally speaking, what's the difference between a variable and an object in programming?

A variable stores a value. An object can have multiple variables and methods (functions) associated with or contained within it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hooah posted:

Kind of depends on language, but in C++ it's generally held that variables are storage for primitive values--your integers, floating point numbers, characters--and objects are instantiations of classes, which contain a whole bunch of variables and functions to manipulate them (classes are the blueprint and objects are the houses built from the blueprint, to borrow a tired-rear end analogy).

I think technically objects can be considered variables, but anyone who calls it that is a doo-doo head. :colbert:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 11, 2013

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Depending on the language, a variable can either contain a value, or refer to a given object. An object is an instance of data.

code:
var myCat = new Cat()
var yourCat = new Cat()
var mySistersCat = myCat

mySistersCat.bathe()

mySistersCat = new Cat()
mySistersCat.bathe()
In the above "program" myCat, yourCat, and mySistersCat are all different variables. At the beginning myCat and yourCat refer to different cats, but myCat and mySistersCat are the same cat - the same object. When I bathe mySistersCat, it's the same as bathing my own cat. Later on, I set the variable mySistersCat to be a new cat. Now when I bathe that one, my cat doesn't get clean as well, because the variable mySistersCat now refers to a different object.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Entertaining and informative, we need a thread of explaining concepts with analogies like that :allears:

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Xenoborg posted:

Basically it's going to start growing germs as soon as it hits room temp, and obviously residue will hit room temp pretty fast. So if you really want to keep reusing the same glass, wash it with hot water and dish soap before refilling. At the very least, stop being lazy and bring it to the sink instead of leaving it around, that's probably what's driving your roommate nuts the most.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

Bacteria and other harmful germs are not completely killed when subjected to 41F or below. The same goes for cooking food. Cooking and refrigerating food is meant to reduce the bacteria levels to safe amounts for human consumption. Bacteria start reproducing between 41F and 135F, it starts rapidly reproducing between 70F and 120F. Even though your milk has been pasteurized, it still contains bacteria that can reproduce to harmful levels. By refilling the glass that has been sitting out for several hours, you're ingesting bacteria that might be harmful to you.

You don't have to sanitize your glass after each glass of milk, but at least rinse it out in the hottest water available to you and let it dry upside down. And remember, don't leave your cold food items sitting out on the counter after you've finished using them. Put them away after you're done with it and it'll help it stay out of the temperature danger zone as well making cleaning up after cooking easier.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Is there any flag that de facto represents the entire continent of Asia?

Just curious.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Raimundus posted:

Is there any flag that de facto represents the entire continent of Asia?

Just curious.

Nope, just like there's no "North American flag". I believe the largest group of nations represented by one flag is the EU.

e. I am wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Organisation_of_Islamic_Cooperation has 57 members under one flag.

Tshirt Ninja fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 12, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

Bacteria and other harmful germs are not completely killed when subjected to 41F or below. The same goes for cooking food. Cooking and refrigerating food is meant to reduce the bacteria levels to safe amounts for human consumption. Bacteria start reproducing between 41F and 135F, it starts rapidly reproducing between 70F and 120F. Even though your milk has been pasteurized, it still contains bacteria that can reproduce to harmful levels. By refilling the glass that has been sitting out for several hours, you're ingesting bacteria that might be harmful to you.

You don't have to sanitize your glass after each glass of milk, but at least rinse it out in the hottest water available to you and let it dry upside down. And remember, don't leave your cold food items sitting out on the counter after you've finished using them. Put them away after you're done with it and it'll help it stay out of the temperature danger zone as well making cleaning up after cooking easier.

And put your garbage in a garbage can, people. I can't stress that enough. Don't just throw it out the window.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

syscall girl posted:

And put your garbage in a garbage can, people. I can't stress that enough. Don't just throw it out the window.

Where in the world do you live that this is still something that needs to be talked about?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Where in the world do you live that this is still something that needs to be talked about?

From just about every highwaydirt road to interstate in the United States?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Wagonburner posted:

It's a quote from the Simpsons.

It was also pretty much my reaction to the original post asking about whether he had to wash a glass after using it, it just seems like common sense. Why would you NOT wash it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

I was born in Springfield and if I play my cards right I'll die there.

It's a Simpsons quote about how people are irresponsible sometimes.

Related to this:

The Simpsons posted:

If You Leave Milk Out, It Can Go Sour. Put It In A Refrigerator, Or, Failing That, A Cool, Wet Sack

Basic life lessons for people who couldn't properly care for a stupid baby.

efb