Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

nwin posted:

Do people get seasick on subs? I mean, a ship will roll and pitch based on the waves/winds/currents, so that makes sense. But what forces do subs have acting on them that could cause seasickness? Besides the obvious absence of windows and no way to look at the horizon.

Just thinking with the recirculated air if someone yakked it could cause a pretty awesome chain reaction.

I posted earlier about being in some pretty rough seas at periscope depth and we were taking some rough rolls. People were barfing all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ded posted:

Oh like that. No. But all of the ways to do emergency backup stuff was all there.

There's a full-motion ship control trainer in most ports (including Groton, they just don't let BESS use it).

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Mad Dragon posted:

Never served on a first flight 688, have you? :v:

Funny thing is, yeah, I was a first flight guy. I never said GOOD computers...the fact that it has the computing power of a cellphone and takes up all of CSES, well, that's another story ><

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Mad Dragon posted:

Down Periscope.

Seconded.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, but I'm saying I bet it didn't rock back and forth and shake and poo poo like a Six Flags ride or an Air Force trainer

... or did it?

They do now; entire control room on hydraulics. Definitely makes a noshit jam dive casualty MUCH harder to deal with when you are going sonar dome to bottom. It's actually really awesome.

Oh, yeah, and they sequestered it.

:smith:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sacrilage posted:

Funny thing is, yeah, I was a first flight guy. I never said GOOD computers...the fact that it has the computing power of a cellphone and takes up all of CSES, well, that's another story ><

I loved the sonar computers for the Q-5E system. A pair of 7 foot tall 4 foot square water cooled 8086 RISK cpu towers.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
I watched a documentary on the British submarine service today and they mentioned an issue that arose from hot-racking; the occurence of so-called "coffin dreams" in crew members. Apparently recurring nightmares of collapsing coffins, being buried alive and other claustrophobic images that involve sleep paralysis, frequently plague new submariners and occasionally affect more experienced crew. I guess subconciously the dreams sort of make sense given the job, but has anyone actually experienced something like this? Is it as widespread as these British submariners made it out to be, and is it a massive problem given how :stare: it sounds?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are you guys allowed to bring booze with you?

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Orlando Furioso posted:

I watched a documentary on the British submarine service today and they mentioned an issue that arose from hot-racking; the occurence of so-called "coffin dreams" in crew members. Apparently recurring nightmares of collapsing coffins, being buried alive and other claustrophobic images that involve sleep paralysis, frequently plague new submariners and occasionally affect more experienced crew. I guess subconciously the dreams sort of make sense given the job, but has anyone actually experienced something like this? Is it as widespread as these British submariners made it out to be, and is it a massive problem given how :stare: it sounds?

First I've heard of this being considered anything more than a "man the gently caress up" issue. Every now and then someone will develop severe neurosis due to claustrophobia, but it's pretty rare.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Baloogan posted:

Like any underway US Navy ship, no booze.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sacrilage posted:

Like any underway US Navy ship, no booze.

Unless you're a Chief. :chiefsay:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Baloogan posted:

No but you can bring as much "mouthwash" as you can stow

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Technically the captain is allowed to have a locker with alcohol, but it must be locked at all times (I don't think any captain's take advantage of this). I guess its so he can have a drink with guests or something?

I had a friend who went sad on the sub. There are loving hiding places that you won't know about, especially in the Engine Room, no matter how long you've served. A few months before I got out I found his field day hiding spot - he lined it with cold pipe insulation (a soft rubbery foam material), and in there was a bottle that was covered in pig mat (a type of oil absorbent sheet) and red duct tape. I removed the cap, and yeah, it was most certainly rum. I guess during field days he'd hide up there and get himself drunk or toasty enough to fall asleep easily. I would have tried some but I'm a big wuss and it wouldn't have been worth it with so little time left.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I had a friend who went sad on the sub. There are loving hiding places that you won't know about, especially in the Engine Room, no matter how long you've served. A few months before I got out I found his field day hiding spot - he lined it with cold pipe insulation (a soft rubbery foam material), and in there was a bottle that was covered in pig mat (a type of oil absorbent sheet) and red duct tape. I removed the cap, and yeah, it was most certainly rum. I guess during field days he'd hide up there and get himself drunk or toasty enough to fall asleep easily. I would have tried some but I'm a big wuss and it wouldn't have been worth it with so little time left.

I made the mistake of crawling around near the ME/RG during one field day just out of morbid curiosity while doing a Zone Inspection. I truly wish I had never found the Bear Pen; ignorance is bliss.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bear Pen? More like Nap Room.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The gently caress is a bear pen and why have we not seen pics or descriptions.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

No but you can bring as much "mouthwash" as you can stow

Heh, we had a guy who had vodka that he would dye light blue and put into a Listerine bottle. It was drat near impossible to tell. It all came out when he got caught blazing logs and decided he would go out in glory.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Sacrilage posted:

First I've heard of this being considered anything more than a "man the gently caress up" issue. Every now and then someone will develop severe neurosis due to claustrophobia, but it's pretty rare.

What happens to someone when this happens? Do they get shot up with Lorazepam or something until they can be off-loaded?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Oxford Comma posted:

What happens to someone when this happens? Do they get shot up with Lorazepam or something until they can be off-loaded?

They get told to stop being a god drat pussy.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

ded posted:

They get told to stop being a god drat pussy.

Then get put in the Galley for the cooks to gently caress with them some more.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Oxford Comma posted:

Doped up, put under guard in the wardroom, and offloaded during the next BSP. I've only seen it once.

E: I'm out to sea for the next couple weeks, so I'll see you all on the flip side.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Sacrilage posted:

One of the guys in my division started having night terrors underway so they let him out of the navy

Dude would freak the hell out

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

Sacrilage posted:

Heh, we had a guy who had vodka that he would dye light blue and put into a Listerine bottle. It was drat near impossible to tell. It all came out when he got caught blazing logs and decided he would go out in glory.

What does "blazing logs" mean? Weed?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

Gundecking. Falsifying. Writing things down without actually taking readings from equipment.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
when doing marine surveying blazing logs means faking up data

edit ^^ drat fast postin

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

Huh, never heard of that. Cool.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I guess I've also heard it in the context of "I was smoking so much weed that I didn't pay any attention to the sensors"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

Specifically many watches that you stand require you to record a log of certain parameters. This can vary in period from once a day to once every few minutes, can be everything from ambient temperature to level of water in the reactor core, and can be either from a panel you sit in front of or require wandering the ship and climbing uncomfortably into fairly inaccessible areas. Some things change a lot and some things never do.

Blazing them means faking them, this can be either copying the last set with some believably random changes, taking a late set and an early set at once (borderline), or just outright fakery. Everyone does this at some point but smart people know what's ok and dumb people don't. The really dumb ones blaze stuff that requires some other record that the check was made - for instance, lying that you checked something inside the reactor compartment when there's a written log of who entered and left and when, and you didn't go in. Depending on the magnitude and frequency of the integrity violation, if you get caught you will lose rank, go to pound me in the rear end prison or be thrown out of the Navy with a lovely discharge.

Similarly blazing someone's qual card means taking it and just signing off a bunch of poo poo without really checking their knowledge - this can be ok if you know them and know they know it, or bad if you're just being a 'buddy'.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Buddy is never said without the word fucker behind it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
poo poo, another blue falcon incoming.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Never leave your qual card laying around. - Popeye loves signing that poo poo.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Un-loving-believable....2 weeks on "local ops" turns into 3 loving months way too fast >.<

I need a new goddamn job.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Golli posted:

Never leave your qual card laying around. - Popeye loves signing that poo poo.

Heh, I have so many fantastic stories about Ensigns leaving their quals in maneuvering.

1) MPA leaves his there after his UI: MPLO takes it, makes a QA-17/34, drills 4 holes in the corners, and "properly torques" 4 selflock bolts to 30 ft-lbs. MPA just made a new qual card.

2) RCA leaves his quals in wardroom. I take them, create a new DANGER TAG line item for ENS QUALS, and issue a danger tag for "locked shut". Took him a week to figure out how to get it back open without violating the TUMS.

3) A-gang-er leaves his in crew's mess. They put it in SAN-1. No one said they were original.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Coners aren't very creative.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sacrilage posted:

Un-loving-believable....2 weeks on "local ops" turns into 3 loving months way too fast >.<

I need a new goddamn job.

I had a captain who loved to volunteer the boat for whatever odd jobs were out there, and daisychain them into underways that would easily stretch into months, just to do complete bullshit with plenty of 'training opportunity' in between. P-3s need a training target? Sure, we can do that. Hmmm, PCO ops are six weeks before that, hmmm, let's see... ooo, the SEALS want to practice embarking while partially submerged, sure, we'll bounce the pier and load up all their crap and take them out for a day cruise... pull in for the weekend? Why? Last time we shut down the engine room something broke and we were down for two weeks. Can't let that happen again! Ooo, what's this test depth escape trunk test? We can handle that too, we'll have plenty of time!

The first year I was onboard with that guy we ended up underway about 300 days out of 365 and that was immediately after a deployment.

(And the P-3s never, ever loving show up)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What is food like on a sub? Any pictures to share? Tea, coffee, cookies?

How often is the mess open? 24 hours a day?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Baloogan posted:

What is food like on a sub? Any pictures to share? Tea, coffee, cookies?

How often is the mess open? 24 hours a day?

Food was generally acceptable. Mess was open 4 times a day at sea 3 in port on the standard watch rotations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Food is a lot of pre-prepped frozen stuff. Think pan lasagna and really much any of the stuff you find in the cheap bulk frozen section of your grocery store / Sam's Club. Longer underways are heavier on canned goods, on deployments you'll make false floors in berthing areas for more can storage space. In port you get fresh milk / eggs, at sea it's powdered stuff after about a week. Similar story with fresh fruit / vegetables, if they can't be canned or frozen. Boats carry tons and tons of flour and powdered milk / eggs, bread is made on board and is generally bland but fine. Dinner is often re-used for midrats (the midnight meal) and further keftovers get recycled into stuff like pizza, stew etc. Midrats was often left out from 12-6ish until breakfast was served, otherwise food was only out for an hour-ish per meal.

Delicacies were things like hamster night (the same chicken cordon bleu you get in a grocery store) and chicken wheels (fried processed chicken circles, same as a cheap grocery store, on a bun with various condiments. Technically you had surf and turf nights but the steaks were extremely low quality (well over half bone and gristle) and old, and I never had the courage to touch the shrimp. There were also rib nights, but the ribs weren't always from pigs or cows. Stories of getting meat marked 'rejected by the prison system' etc have some truth to them. As you can imagine, the food was generally bland so the ship would load Frank's Red Hot in bulk. Space for cooking, cooking tools etc are fairly limited, practically everything goes through the oven, the griddle or the deep fat fryer and when one of those breaks it's a major priority to get it back up.

Keep in mind the mess decks only sit about 20 people, you have to feed at least 80ish people (more on days with drills / major evolutions) in under an hour and you have to fit in stuff like watch turnover in there, so you often have less than ten minutes to grab your food and scarf it down; part of why I hated bothering with stuff like steak or ribs that you had to dissect and couldn't just shovel in your mouth and swallow.

Cooking is treated like a maintenance item complete with maintenance procedure cards. There is some leeway for the cooks to spice up the recipe, but this can go both ways, and the cooks are not selected for skill. I've had blueberries in meatloaf, almonds on pizza, and endless batches of cookies where the cooks swapped salt for sugar. The cooks (and to a lesser extent, the crew) got tired of chicken breasts and pea/carrot/corn medley for everything and would experiment with things like canned okra, with bad results. We also had stuff like a cook, prepping a vat of creamed corn in front of a squadron inspector, sticking his uncovered arm in the vat to stir it.

We had Starbucks coffee; I understand this was an additional boat expense, but the standard issue stuff literally has leaves and twigs in it. The engine room coffee machine was permanently plumbed and wired up as a critical load so it remained operational even during drills and reduced electrical power conditions. You could bring your own teabags on board (I did) or the boat had the repo-cheapo Lipton stuff available.

This was for a fast attack sub. We were almost exclusively a Central / South America boat while I was there, which meant we had the special case where most of the places we were around had no Navy support; as a result our resupply was often sending guys into town with the boat Visa to raid the local grocery stores for food for 140 people for a few weeks. This isn't a big deal in, say, Florida, but further south it led to things like the probably-horse ribs and an underway where the cooks had to use cornmeal instead of flour. Boomers have a pallet loading system and a far better storage system, I don't know if it makes their food better, but they also only pull into prepped bases. I have no idea how the SSGNs handle it. I have no idea how this compares to surface chow, I really doubt it's as different as people claim.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
A little better on the boomers. We had a slushie machine for quals only. Beenies and weenies or chicken nuggets were peoples favorite dish.

We had pizza night fridays where a different division would be working the kitchen to give the cooks some time off.

Most people compared the galley to a little shonys since it had a buffet you could walk around.

The steak and lobster were god drat awful, and I always hated tex mex night.

Ditto for the coffee maker in engineering. We even had custom pipes put in to throw poo poo down two levels into the bilge in case something went wrong with the pot.

When at sea, we had a system grabbing things from the gang plank of the supply ship, people in the ladder well, and then people all the way down the missile compartment tossing food to each other. People would run it if we didn't have enough available at the time. Dropping the milk jugs was a common occurrence in the ladder well. It was a decent work out.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We had a slushie machine, but when it broke it would be down for months. I seem to remember tales of a soft-serve ice cream machine but it got removed as part of some health kick before I got there.

The worst part of nights like tex-mex night weren't the food, it was that the off-watch section would be getting growled up for watch reliefs for poo poo-taking all drat night. I can't remember if boomers have a pooper in the engine room, but fast boats don't.

Hand-to-hand stores loads are how fast boats do it both in port and at sea. The freezer is right at the bottom of the forward escape trunk but some stuff has to go quite a ways into the engine room or torpedo room / berthing, and, yeah, it can be a fun workout. At sea stuff would go overboard sometimes, nothing makes a guy cry like an open crate of fresh oranges toppling into the drink.

One strange data point, the Navy recipe for sheetcake (which was served with more or less every dinner) uses lard for the icing. Apparently putting sugar or anything else in the lard was optional. The cooks used to slather that poo poo on a half-inch thick sometimes, I'd just scrape most of it off but some guys would gobble it down. The cooks would go bonkers with whatever artificial flavors went into the cake itself (like the slushies, it was less something identical and more a color, like 'red cake' and 'blue cake') so sometimes it was outright inedible.

• Locked thread