Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
I'm playing through ME3 for the first time right now, should I download the extended cut DLC before I finish it or should I experience the original ending first then install the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

ArcaneTree posted:

I'm playing through ME3 for the first time right now, should I download the extended cut DLC before I finish it or should I experience the original ending first then install the DLC?

Install the extended cut and buy Leviathan if you want to have the most positive first experience with it.

edit:vvv It's a choice of info dumps. Leviathan actually gives context so the ending makes some sense.

Tremors fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 11, 2013

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
From Ashes > Leviathan.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ArcaneTree posted:

I don't think there is any real reason to bother with the default endings rather than the extended cuts. As far as I know they don't really change anything, they just elaborate more.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

ArcaneTree posted:

There's absolutely no reason to not download the Extended Cut, unless you want to experience the pain that we felt when finishing ME3 and be a part of our collective primal rage.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
So should I get both Leviathan and From Ashes? I bought these games mainly for the story so it'd be ideal to get the most out of it.

Spug posted:

There's absolutely no reason to not download the Extended Cut, unless you want to experience the pain that we felt when finishing ME3 and be a part of our collective primal rage.

Well I'm kinda curious just how bad it is, I feel like I would miss out on something.

ArcaneTree fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 11, 2013

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

ArcaneTree posted:

So should I get both Leviathan and From Ashes? I bought these games mainly for the story so it'd be ideal to get the most out of it.

Get both Leviathan and From Ashes. Leviathan fleshes out the extended cut ending with some backstory, and From Ashes gives you a new squad member whose contributions to the story makes the game without him feel utterly incomplete.

After it's all said and done, you can always youtube the original endings, by the way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And once you have finished the game, please come to the spoiler thread to rage a bit. No one has gotten that cycle going in a while. Then, in a month, get Citadel because it is the best thing ever. Don't get it until you finish the game, though.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Elysiume posted:

I don't think there is any real reason to bother with the default endings rather than the extended cuts. As far as I know they don't really change anything, they just elaborate more.
The EC also fills in one or two of the narrative gaps (though arguably not in the most elegant or logical fashion), and provides a considerably more substantial and - in my opinion - rewarding epilogue.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Leviathan fleshes out the extended cut ending with some backstory
Everyone always seems to emphasise Leviathan's additions to the lore (which aren't that big if you've already got the EC installed), but frankly, I think a better reason to get it is that it's just a very solid piece of DLC. Good action and writing, great atmosphere, and some truly wonderful and exotic sci-fi scenery.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gordon Shumway posted:

Get both Leviathan and From Ashes. Leviathan fleshes out the extended cut ending with some backstory, and From Ashes gives you a new squad member whose contributions to the story makes the game without him feel utterly incomplete.

After it's all said and done, you can always youtube the original endings, by the way.

Also, don't be afraid to keep your new squadmate for every mission. He has dialog for it all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sombrerotron posted:

Everyone always seems to emphasise Leviathan's additions to the lore (which aren't that big if you've already got the EC installed), but frankly, I think a better reason to get it is that it's just a very solid piece of DLC. Good action and writing, great atmosphere, and some truly wonderful and exotic sci-fi scenery.

I just finished another run-through of it again and that last level really is just astonishingly pretty. Plus, watching the Leviathans wipe out the Reaper when it arrives is one hell of a moment.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw, I didn't know Morinth would send letters to the Monastery if you recruited her. She tells the girls about their mother dying bravely against the Collectors past the O4 relay *cough*, all the amazing places she's been and that she wishes they could be with her, etc.

She was quite sweet for a mass murdering space vampire really.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Aw, I didn't know Morinth would send letters to the Monastery if you recruited her. She tells the girls about their mother dying bravely against the Collectors past the O4 relay *cough*, all the amazing places she's been and that she wishes they could be with her, etc.

She was quite sweet for a mass murdering space vampire really.

Well, until her little cameo towards the end of the game, anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Long-time-player-but-first-time-ME2-Vanguard update: I did it, guys! I Charged the Colossus! :black101:

Sorry, just wanted to share that proud moment.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gordon Shumway posted:

I don't think it would have quite the same impact, unfortunately.

Was the post-ending "Continue by buying our DLC!" popup removed by the Extended Cut, or by a patch? If the former, that alone is a reason to experience the Original Ending in all its glory.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

And once you have finished the game, please come to the spoiler thread to rage a bit. No one has gotten that cycle going in a while. Then, in a month, get Citadel because it is the best thing ever. Don't get it until you finish the game, though.

I shall, isn't this the spoiler thread though?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
No this is the regular thread, which is why you still see spoiler tags.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

ArcaneTree posted:

Well I'm kinda curious just how bad it is, I feel like I would miss out on something.

It's not a terrible idea, actually. You can compare the different stages of the game's ending, from it's original release to Extended Edition to Leviathan (spoiler? was Leviathan marketed as an extension of the main story?). The changes between them are not insignificant, and it's fun to observe. I don't think I've played another game that has experienced that kind of ending debacle. If there's ever a video game history, that moment's got to be remembered.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

NihilCredo posted:

I don't think it would have quite the same impact, unfortunately.

Was the post-ending "Continue by buying our DLC!" popup removed by the Extended Cut, or by a patch? If the former, that alone is a reason to experience the Original Ending in all its glory.

I think it was removed via patch at some point. I've seen an LP done in Fall 2012 that played the game without any DLC, and got the original ending, but the "buy DLC" message was replaced with the new one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Caufman posted:

It's not a terrible idea, actually. You can compare the different stages of the game's ending, from it's original release to Extended Edition to Leviathan (spoiler? was Leviathan marketed as an extension of the main story?). The changes between them are not insignificant, and it's fun to observe. I don't think I've played another game that has experienced that kind of ending debacle. If there's ever a video game history, that moment's got to be remembered.
Didn't this whole "people were so irritated by the ending that they had to change it with DLC" thing happen before with Fallout 3? Or was that situation significantly different?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Lycus posted:

Didn't this whole "people were so irritated by the ending that they had to change it with DLC" thing happen before with Fallout 3? Or was that situation significantly different?

It did, but I think the reactions were a bit more ... intense with ME3.

IIRC FO3's ending was silly and bad, but not in the "this is literally burning down the entire franchise bad"-way ME3's initial ending was.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lycus posted:

Long-time-player-but-first-time-ME2-Vanguard update: I did it, guys! I Charged the Colossus! :black101:

Sorry, just wanted to share that proud moment.
I'm proud of you son, may your charge always be swift. :black101:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
One reason they retconned away Fallout 3's terrible ending was to let you play post-game. I think almost all open world games benefit from letting you continue to play after you've beaten the main quest, and that was something I enjoyed about Mass Effect 2. I always go around finishing up all those side missions and doing the DLC after I beat the suicide mission and the sense of urgency a lot of the game has is lifted.

Also people's reaction to Fallout 3's ending was more "Ha ha, that was really dumb. Why couldn't the mutant fix the reactor?" then "Wow, you just blew up the game's entire universe, what the hell?"

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Finally intend to finish 3 on 360 after several restarts and MP sidetracks. Finally saved cash for the Black Widow and oh my it's so awesome in SP.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chasiubao posted:

Finally intend to finish 3 on 360 after several restarts and MP sidetracks. Finally saved cash for the Black Widow and oh my it's so awesome in SP.

Haha yes, this time around I saved my cash instead of blowing it on clearing out every store on the Citadel and picked up the Black Widow and now dudes are literally exploding when I shoot them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerusalem posted:

Haha yes, this time around I saved my cash instead of blowing it on clearing out every store on the Citadel and picked up the Black Widow and now dudes are literally exploding when I shoot them.

I'm playing on insanity and anything that has no shield/barrier/armor is dead in one shot. It's funny taking out three dudes in a couple seconds.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Finished my second ME1 playthrough. I'm about to start ME2 and I was wondering - does when I do the IFF mission actually affect anything for the suicide mission? I was poking around the ME Wiki which said that it does, but I thought the only thing that affected with people live and die was up to their Loyalty and putting the right people in the right spots.

I just want to do as many missions as possible with Mordin+Legion as my space bros...

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

morcant posted:

Finished my second ME1 playthrough. I'm about to start ME2 and I was wondering - does when I do the IFF mission actually affect anything for the suicide mission? I was poking around the ME Wiki which said that it does, but I thought the only thing that affected with people live and die was up to their Loyalty and putting the right people in the right spots.

I just want to do as many missions as possible with Mordin+Legion as my space bros...

Doing the IFF mission doesn't directly affect anything in and of itself, but what it does affect is the when your crew get kidnapped. If you don't do the suicide mission right away you start losing crew members.

So you can do the IFF to get Legion as soon as you can, and then either not go through and lose the crew or go through right away anyway and save the other recruitment/loyalty missions till after. If you're savvy about it you could probably not lose anyone during the Suicide mission even without doing all recruits/loyalties.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

morcant posted:

It doesn't affect your squadmates at all, just your ship's crew. If you do any missions between the raid and the Suicide Mission, you won't be able to save your whole crew.

Ken and Gabby must die for the worthy cause of bro-ing around with Legion.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 13, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Lycus posted:

Ken and Gabby must die for the worthy cause of bro-ing around with Legion.

Aww gently caress. That's when the raid is? drat it, this is some Sophie's Choice crap. I really want to hang out with Legion, but I remember what the ship was like after the crew was taken. It was so empty. :smith:

Mazerunner posted:

So you can do the IFF to get Legion as soon as you can, and then either not go through and lose the crew or go through right away anyway and save the other recruitment/loyalty missions till after. If you're savvy about it you could probably not lose anyone during the Suicide mission even without doing all recruits/loyalties.

Wait, what? For some reason I thought the Suicide Mission was "Make your choice about the base then credits roll" - but I can basically do the entire game after it? poo poo... Now I don't know what I'll do.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

morcant posted:

Wait, what? For some reason I thought the Suicide Mission was "Make your choice about the base then credits roll" - but I can basically do the entire game after it? poo poo... Now I don't know what I'll do.
Yeah, after the credits, you can keep playing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

morcant posted:

If you have any of the DLC you can leave some of those missions until after the credits. Both Arrival and Shadow Broker work better after the Suicide Mission, or at least I think so, and Overlord doesn't really matter when you do it. Of course you don't get any of the in-mission quips that Legion has for the main game, but you do get his shipboard conversations without sacrificing anybody.

But if you don't have any of the DLC its either keep your crew alive or pal around with Legion.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

If you have any of the DLC you can leave some of those missions until after the credits. Both Arrival and Shadow Broker work better after the Suicide Mission, or at least I think so, and Overlord doesn't really matter when you do it. Of course you don't get any of the in-mission quips that Legion has for the main game, but you do get his shipboard conversations without sacrificing anybody.

But if you don't have any of the DLC its either keep your crew alive or pal around with Legion.

Apparently once the suicide mission's done you can simply land on a planet (Citadel, Omega, Illium, Tuchanka) and anyone with left over dialogue will progress to the next step. (vs. having to do something to progress before). I haven't tested this personally though, so grain of salt and all that.

Could leave some of the N7 missions till later, I think those work too.
That said this is all for Legion's on-ship dialogue, not his on mission stuff.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

I'm sitting on the Lazarus Project screen, because while I love my sniper rifle and headshots, I just did that in my whole first series playthrough, as well as my second ME1 go. I also hear that Vanguards can learn Sniper Rifles at some point during the game, and maybe I should try something different.

I also hear that Vanguard is pretty much the only class. This combined with the fact that I wasn't a huge fan of the tacticloak last time, but - if I go Vanguard and pick up the sniper rifle, will I be able to Vanguard and snipe in ME3?

I trust you, thread. I don't play even on Hard mode, but the love for Vanguards has piqued my interest.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You know what's a good headshot? When you stick a shotgun right in their face.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

morcant posted:

I'm sitting on the Lazarus Project screen, because while I love my sniper rifle and headshots, I just did that in my whole first series playthrough, as well as my second ME1 go. I also hear that Vanguards can learn Sniper Rifles at some point during the game, and maybe I should try something different.

I also hear that Vanguard is pretty much the only class. This combined with the fact that I wasn't a huge fan of the tacticloak last time, but - if I go Vanguard and pick up the sniper rifle, will I be able to Vanguard and snipe in ME3?

I trust you, thread. I don't play even on Hard mode, but the love for Vanguards has piqued my interest.

Yeah you can get sniper training during the Collector ship, and in 3 you can use whatever weapons you want. Honestly snipers aren't really good for vanguards though. In 3 most of them are somewhat heavy and wreck your cooldowns (critical!). I suppose in 2 they might be useful for poo poo you can't charge or don't want to for some reason(?) but assault rifles would probably be a better choice.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

morcant posted:

The Vanguard snipes like a boss. You see the enemy across the map, pull the trigger and it dies. The trigger is Charge, by the way, not a sniper rifle. (You can use one though, after about half the game in ME2).

ME2 Vanguard is Charge-Melee-Shotgun-Charge-Melee-Shotgun-etc for easy times (except in the beginning on insanity).

ME3 Vanguard is Charge-Nova-Charge-Nova-etc for easy times (except......nope it's pretty much easy mode).

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Put incendiary ammo on your weapon and become a biotic pinball of fire explosions.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Okay, I'll give this a shot. Somehow being dead made my Shep a biotic. Hopefully I won't completely suck at this, but I've got the flowchart from the OP to refer to just in case. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You have to actively try to fail as a Vanguard.

• Locked thread