Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grave $avings posted:

This is the most horrible thing I've ever read. Just another reason to salt the earth over Reagan's grave

At least he died a drooling moron with no dignity.

"I do solemnly swear to goof off and eat candy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Isn't that completely infeasible due to the massive energy requirements?

I'd imagine so, but water's different since they will either need to figure something out, or become the first few million American climate refugees. I don't know how the cost of a long-distance pipeline compares to Socal/Mexican nuclear desalination plants + shorter distance pipelines. I'm sure it's all astronomical and beyond the scope of any individual state. That's why any scheme to save the Southwest from its ecological hubris will likely be borne entirely by the federal government. But when it comes to protecting two of our proudest, sprawlingest real estate bubbles (LV/PHX), money won't really be on object. I'm sure that efficiency-wise, nuclear desalination would be better, but it would still involve a pipeline over the southern California ranges or a treaty with Mexico. Unless the Star Wars moisture farm concept actually works.

If they want to be sneakier about it, they can try something more like this and try to drain Lake Michigan, truckload by truckload of Evian. Of course they'll have to buy every damned bottle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Malcolm X grandson Malcolm Shabazz dies in Mexico City

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

A seamstress has been pulled alive from the ruins of the ruins of the factory in Bangladesh, 17 days after its collapse.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
All American Clothing made in USA t-shirt:

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/made-in-usa/WRNGT.html

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 11, 2013

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Ho Chi Mint posted:

All American Clothing made in USA t-shirt:

lol, as if consumer choice had anything to do with outsourcing

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lg4gGk53iY

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Joementum posted:

On 5 December 1982, Ronald Reagan met the Guatemalan president, Efraín Ríos Montt, in Honduras. It was a useful meeting for Reagan. ‘Well, I learned a lot,’ he told reporters on Air Force One. ‘You’d be surprised. They’re all individual countries.’ It was also a useful meeting for Ríos Montt. Reagan declared him ‘a man of great personal integrity . . . totally dedicated to democracy’, and claimed that the Guatemalan strongman was getting ‘a bum rap’ from human rights organisations for his military’s campaign against leftist guerrillas. The next day, one of Guatemala’s elite platoons entered a jungle village called Las Dos Erres and killed 162 of its inhabitants, 67 of them children. Soldiers grabbed babies and toddlers by their legs, swung them in the air, and smashed their heads against a wall. Older children and adults were forced to kneel at the edge of a well, where a single blow from a sledgehammer sent them plummeting below. The platoon then raped a selection of women and girls it had saved for last, pummelling their stomachs in order to force the pregnant among them to miscarry. They tossed the women into the well and filled it with dirt, burying an unlucky few alive. The only traces of the bodies later visitors would find were blood on the walls and placentas and umbilical cords on the ground.

Imagine finding out that your father wasn't your real father, but in fact was one of the soldiers who murdered your whole family and adopted you?

Well, that's what happened to Oscar Ramirez, one of the few survivors of Dos Erres

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Amused to Death posted:

It's bullshit, considering girls in high school aren't showing up to class in nothing their best lingerie or something

You're wrong. Just do a google search for 'teen yoga pants' and you will understand. This is an actual, very popular, fashion trend in high schools across the country, even among 14-15 year olds. I think you have the right intent in that there should be similar messages for boys to not think of girls as sex objects constantly but I also think you're being unrealistic about the how people, particularly young teenagers, will be able to control their thoughts. Would you put a plate of diamonds in front of a homeless man and then criticize them for overvaluing material wealth? If the issue is "distraction", I think the complaint is valid, it's not like schools are trying to legitimize any kind of assault or harassment over it.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Cosmarxpolitan has a bunch of these :allears:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

:catstare:

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

You're wrong. Just do a google search for 'teen yoga pants' and you will understand. This is an actual, very popular, fashion trend in high schools across the country, even among 14-15 year olds. I think you have the right intent in that there should be similar messages for boys to not think of girls as sex objects constantly but I also think you're being unrealistic about the how people, particularly young teenagers, will be able to control their thoughts. Would you put a plate of diamonds in front of a homeless man and then criticize them for overvaluing material wealth? If the issue is "distraction", I think the complaint is valid, it's not like schools are trying to legitimize any kind of assault or harassment over it.

:what: Oh no, not a butt. Won't someone save our children from seeing a butt. Are you seriously saying that if there's a girl in the same room with you wearing yoga pants, you're completely incapable of doing anything but staring at it and jerking off in your mind? It's completely possible to go "hey that's a nice butt, well it's math class I guess I'd better do these equations".

e: also, they burn surplus clothes rather than donating them, because they don't want homeless people wearing their brand.

Brass Key fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 11, 2013

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

You're right. There are simply no social circumstances where conservative attire is more appropriate than one step away from complete nudity. If teenage girls want to wear uncovered pantyhose in a classroom, hey it's their body they can do what they want with it!

Femen, NSFW
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/wrFw7YX.jpg

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Maybe, if everyone wore pantyhose and yoga pants all the time, teenage boys wouldn't go hog wild every time someone did! Food for thought.

Flying Car Crash

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ever heard of Onfim? Well no, you probably haven't, seeing as we know pretty much nothing about him. Onfim was a boy who grew up in the Russian citty of Novgorod somewhen around the year 1200. We don't know what family he was from, but the fact that he learned reading and writing from early on could mean that he belonged to the upper class of the city's population. We also don't know what Onfim later grew up to be.

There is only one extant source which gives us insight into the life of a Russian boy living 800 years ago, and it is easily one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. You see, parchemnt or paper in the Middle Ages was a highly valued commodity, and it was used mostly for books, not for everyday usage. How were children able to practise their writing then? At least in Novgorod, the go-to medium for everything written that wasn't intended to be kept for a long time was birchbark, on which the messages were written with a sharp stylus. The extant birchbark documents include love letters, shopping lists, IOUs, personal letters and so on. Onfim used birchbark as well when he practised his alphabet around 1200; he probably was around seven at the time. But writing letters wasn't the only thing he did: as it turns out, children were the same 800 years ago as they are today. Onfim got bored easily and started doodling on his bark, and these doodlings have come down to us many generations later.

(To be fair, some of these drawings could also come from his schoolmates - I'm not sure but the style of some of these drawings seems to me a little bit different. Let's just say they're all from Onfim, though!)

In this example, Onfim began writing down the first eleven letters of the alphabet (upper right corner) before getting distracted and drawing himself as a mighty warrior instead, crushing his enemies from horseback with his spear. He even labelled the doodling with "Onfim"!

On the left we see how a birchbark looked like when Onfim managed to pay attention. He then turned it over and drew himself as a wild beast, helpfully labelled by him with "I am a wild beast" [Ia zver']. The beast has either a long tongue or a fiery breath and holds up a sign - it reads "Greetings from Onfim to Danilo", with Danilo probably being a schoolmate.

On the left, Onfim drew his parents. On the right, he drew two children playing around a tree; the second children hides behind it.

More people!

Again his mum, perhaps?

Perhaps another warrior fantasy on the left? I have no idea who the people on the right are supposed to be; the drawing is loving great, though.

Battle scenes.

Onfim and his warrior dad :3:

(As a small aside, there is exactly on extant children drawing from the Middle Ages that I know of, and it can be found on the back of a ecclesiastical manuscript from around 900 AD housed in Oxford. This boy was practising his letters as well as neumes, the musical notation standard of the time. After a while he got bored though, tried to write backwards for a bit and finally drew the monastery cat chasing the dog, along with either himself or a friend. I can only hope that he wasn't caught by his teachers, because doodling on expensive parchment was, uh, strongly discouraged to say the least. Not that adult monks aren't known to write all sorts of mundane stuff into their manuscripts!)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 11, 2013

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

ymgve posted:

Maybe, if everyone wore pantyhose and yoga pants all the time, teenage boys wouldn't go hog wild every time someone did! Food for thought.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

I know wealth inequality is a big problem in the United States, but I didn't realize it was widening so dramatically so quickly:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/04/23/a-rise-in-wealth-for-the-wealthydeclines-for-the-lower-93/1/

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

You're right. There are simply no social circumstances where conservative attire is more appropriate than one step away from complete nudity. If teenage girls want to wear uncovered pantyhose in a classroom, hey it's their body they can do what they want with it!

Femen, NSFW

Imagine this: there are places all over the world where people walk around nearly naked. Women go topless. Men wear a loin cloth. And yet somehow they don't spend all day being distracted and complaining about how they can't think.

Republicans block a vote to confirm the new EPA director but not even showing up.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Femen, NSFW

Ask / Tell › Ask Me About Being a Time Traveller from 17th Century New England

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

I wasn't paying too much attention to people claiming that this thing had a large "heh, black people" undertone to it, but now I definitely see it.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

This is some serious Poe's Law in action.

So what's the problem with yoga pants, you may see the outline of a butt? Well poo poo, back into skirts then women, because most of the pants women wear also show off their butts. Only broomstick and other angle length types of skirts though! Otherwise we may see the outline of some legs, and we know how the men love legs. Also your shirt is too tight, we can see that you in fact have boobs.

Women being arrested in Iran for dressing un-Islamic

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A&F is run by a high-functioning psychopath, so it's difficult to take personally. He found out how to market clothes to white douchebags with too much money. He's the classic narcissist CEO, surrounding himself with sycophants, most of whom are discarded before they become middle-aged and therefore worthless. There are also some repressed and regressive sexual overtones that leak into his work.

He's also hands-down one of the ugliest people I've ever seen, due at least in part to plastic surgery.

http://www.salon.com/2006/01/24/jeffries/

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

How can anyone at any time imagine lips like that look good?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

A&F is run by a high-functioning psychopath, so it's difficult to take personally. He found out how to market clothes to white douchebags with too much money. He's the classic narcissist CEO, surrounding himself with sycophants, most of whom are discarded before they become middle-aged and therefore worthless. There are also some repressed and regressive sexual overtones that leak into his work.

He's also hands-down one of the ugliest people I've ever seen, due at least in part to plastic surgery.

He looks (and acts, apparently) like a Biff Tanner double.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

With a face like that sir, I can guarantee you'd be sitting with us at lunch, and we weren't at the cool kids table.

They also burn all their clothes are unsellable instead of giving them to Goodwill or something because poor people will not wear our clothes. Other stores did the same, and were found out at the same time as A&F, like H&M and Wal-Mart, most said though "Fine, fine, we'll give the clothes to thrift places or charity." A&F said "gently caress YOU POORS"

A father, Jeremiah Harker, reacts to hearing the names called of children who were forced out of Head Start due to sequester cuts to its budget. Harker was actually not affected, but said he couldn’t help but feel grief for the others. The district used a random lottery of names to decide who would be cut from the program.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

So, /r/ColorizedHistory is a pretty cool subreddit. Look at that sexy Tesla, just waiting to Tesla Coil your Thomas Edison.

Also, wrt that principal's announcement... look at the loving comments on this :gonk:

Personal highlight:

quote:

Men, please disregard 2 million years of natural instincts and ignore the beautiful ladies wearing next to nothing... Right.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

I like how "the conservative David Horowitz Freedom Center" in the first article becomes "the ultra-conservative David Horowitz Freedom Center" in the second article (after it's revealed that the whole thing is on approximately the same level as those people who believe stories from the Onion).

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_Music_050913.pdf

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

source

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

french attack in first world war belived to be photographed from a german trench

German army film crew

french indochinese colonial troops in camp in france.

Fort Douamnont before and after the battle of Verdun

trench at Gallipoli

Austrian toops in a skirmish in Galicia against Russians

The german cruiser SMS Blücher sunk in the battle of Doggerbank 1915

the german (nazi) cruiser Blücher sunk by coastal batteries during the invasion of Norway 1940

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 11, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

London Collections: Men - GQ UK by Robert Fairer, June 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Highspeeddub posted:

London Collections: Men - GQ UK by Robert Fairer, June 2013

They are going to get kicked out of their reenacting club; those black guys are non-period.

The Bayou Corne sinkhole:

A company called Texas Brine screwed up last fall and caused the collapse of a salt dome deep underground that they were using for brine production. It produced a bunch of small earthquakes and this sinkhole, which has been bubbling oil and gas to the surface ever since. It is still growing and people are moving out of their houses as they start to sink. Texas Brine are supposed to be cleaning it up but have basically been doing nothing while the oil and gas run off downstream and the hole continues to collapse.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 11, 2013

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Femen, NSFW

Women should be allowed to wear anything they want, including uncovered pantyhose.

Brass Key posted:

:what: Oh no, not a butt. Won't someone save our children from seeing a butt. Are you seriously saying that if there's a girl in the same room with you wearing yoga pants, you're completely incapable of doing anything but staring at it and jerking off in your mind? It's completely possible to go "hey that's a nice butt, well it's math class I guess I'd better do these equations".

e: also, they burn surplus clothes rather than donating them, because they don't want homeless people wearing their brand.

Exactly, it's entirely possible for women to wear what they want, and men to go "Oh hey, that's nice" and go about their daily routine.

Amused to Death posted:

This is some serious Poe's Law in action.

So what's the problem with yoga pants, you may see the outline of a butt? Well poo poo, back into skirts then women, because most of the pants women wear also show off their butts. Only broomstick and other angle length types of skirts though! Otherwise we may see the outline of some legs, and we know how the men love legs. Also your shirt is too tight, we can see that you in fact have boobs.

This is exactly right as well. It's men specifically trying to go out of their way to not think about sex that causes this problem. They think by doing so, they're "protecting" these women, but the reality is that it is impossible to control the slight sexual arousal so they fall back to "IT MUST BE COVERED!" :byodood:

Human sexuality should be celebrated, not condemned behind a veneer of protecting those who don't need to be protected nor by the idea our very sexual thoughts are themselves oppressing people.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

KoldPT posted:

I wasn't paying too much attention to people claiming that this thing had a large "heh, black people" undertone to it, but now I definitely see it.

Counterpoint:

Yoga pants chat:

Men and boys can, in fact, focus and avoid turning into babbling wrecks when a female body is visible. Girls at my high school wore whatever they wanted, including leggings in the winter and bikini tops in the summer, and we didn't have any problems with whatever it is certain posters think would have happened. I'm not sure I even understand the argument against tight clothing - do you think boys will be distracted from their studies and that if this happens, the boy is blameless? There's no obligation at all for a woman to hide herself from guys who haven't been socialized properly.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

withak posted:

They are going to get kicked out of their reenacting club; those black guys are non-period.

The Bayou Corne sinkhole:

A company called Texas Brine screwed up last fall and caused the collapse of a salt dome deep underground that they were using for brine production. It produced a bunch of small earthquakes and this sinkhole, which has been bubbling oil and gas to the surface ever since. It is still growing and people are moving out of their houses as they start to sink. Texas Brine are supposed to be cleaning it up but have basically been doing nothing while the oil and gas run off downstream and the hole continues to collapse.

corne hole

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug

System Metternich posted:

Children drawings in medieval ages

Really fascinating stuff, thanks for posting it.

What rampant inflation looks like in Belarus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgAcHeL1dro

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I just watched Manufactured Landscapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years