Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Glazius posted:

I'm surprised that water doesn't put out Speed Yoshi. Then again, it doesn't really do much when you've been hot peppered, does it?

Doesn't hurt to move really fast on water. Also to note, fire in the Mario universe isn't exactly the same as how it functions in the real world.

But then again... you can put out your butt fires in Mario 64 by jumping in a body of water. Yeah, something tells me Mario physics aren't completely consistent. Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Glazius posted:

I'm surprised that water doesn't put out Speed Yoshi. Then again, it doesn't really do much when you've been hot peppered, does it?

Dash Yoshi isn't powered by fire. He's powered by pain.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Haven't you ever eaten spicy food? Water only makes the burning from capsaicin worse.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

All that helps against peppers is milk. Is there a galaxy made up completely of milk? A 'galactose', so to speak.
Don't say the Milky Way, I know that one isn't in the game.

E: By the way, it would have made more sense to call a galaxy a 'solar system' and a world a 'galaxy'. Although "Welcome to the solar system!" probably wouldn't fit on the screen with that huge Mario font. It might've worked in SMG1 as well. Just call everything inside one of those little buildings a 'galaxy'. It confused me how the galaxies had something that looked like planetary orbits on those maps.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 10, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Glazius posted:

Mario can throw fireballs underwater, I don't see why it would stop a flaming Yoshi.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Glad to see the spring mushroom is still a complete nightmare.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The spring mushroom takes a little getting used to, but once you realise the levels are deliberately designed with the jump distance of the spring in mind and you can basically just keep pushing forward and you'll probably end up in the right place it's actually pretty awesome.

I actually find it really entertaining to play with >.>

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 10, 2013

Ropnolc
Mar 7, 2013

Mico posted:

Glad to see the spring mushroom is still a complete nightmare.

The thing that I found very frustrating was that the Spring powerup re-appears in this game but the ice flower doesn't, and I thought the ice flower was a lot more fun, but the Cosmic Cove galaxy is still a nice homage.

Hell, Galaxy 2 has pretty much all the powerups from the first game in its coding and you can use the unused ones through cheats!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ropnolc posted:

Hell, Galaxy 2 has pretty much all the powerups from the first game in its coding and you can use the unused ones through cheats!

That's because Galaxy 2 is literally a tweaked levelpack\mod for Galaxy. It's precisely the same engine and there are even a bunch of original art assets from Galaxy that are unused in Galaxy 2; Rosalina is in there with full model and animations and everything despite the fact that I don't think she appears anywhere in Galaxy 2 and certainly doesn't appear for long enough to use all that data.

Galaxy 2 really is basically just a do-over of Galaxy. Nintendo basically went "This is loving brilliant but we missed the mark a bit the first try so lets try this again."

Azriel Odin
Jun 3, 2011

Somehow I knew this was gonna happen.
Wasn't the game literally called Super Mario Galaxy 1.5 during development? What later warranted the added 0.5 to get to 2 is beyond me. Especially when some things are removed and other are kept but not made better.

∨∨∨ Good point.

Azriel Odin fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 10, 2013

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Azriel Odin posted:

Wasn't the game literally called Super Mario Galaxy 1.5 during development? What later warranted the added 0.5 to get to 2 is beyond me. Especially when some things are removed and other are kept but not made better.

Because nobody wants to buy a full priced game called Mario Galaxy 1.5 if they own 1, and nobody wants to buy 1 if 1.5's out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I was wondering what it would be like if 3D Mario games were more exploration-based, like MetroidVania games. This is kinda what they did with Super Mario Sunshine, where the Rocket and Jet powerups would let you access new parts of the island, as well as new Shine Sprites within levels.

I'm not sure whether I prefer Galaxy/3D Land's separate levels, or 64/Sunshine's open worlds with the stars hidden and scattered about. If 3D Mario games had the same sense of speed and precision as the 2D ones, then I'd enjoy the straight platforming ones a lot more. On the whole, I find it more fun to work out how to exploit Mario's abilities to get stars faster or in unusual ways than just getting through a specific challenge in the Galaxy games.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

That loving Sned posted:

I was wondering what it would be like if 3D Mario games were more exploration-based, like MetroidVania games.

You end up with Super Mario 64. Afaik it's the only Mario in which you can 'sequence break' stars without using bugs and the stars are just scattered around for you to snag instead of only appearing when you are playing their specific mission (there are exceptions of course)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Azriel Odin posted:

The disc ID says it's called Super Mario Galaxy More.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
IIRC it was initally developed as a kind of 'level pack expansion' to SMG and over time they realised they had enough content for an entirely new game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

The spring mushroom takes a little getting used to, but once you realise the levels are deliberately designed with the jump distance of the spring in mind and you can basically just keep pushing forward and you'll probably end up in the right place it's actually pretty awesome.

I actually find it really entertaining to play with >.>

My problem with it is that I just can't get the timing right of pressing A for the high jump. If you suddenly can't jump over chomps any more or get stuck on a ledge, or worse, fall off a moving thing because you can't jump, that's really frustrating. If they had made the timing a bit easier, like with wall jumps, I wouldn't have minded the spring power-up at all.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I thought you could just hold the button? Or maybe I was just holding the button when Mario hit the ground. I don't know. I never had control issues with the spring and it's making me think people are just somehow doing it wrong.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I don't really hate the spring mushroom, but I'm disappointed that they reused that item rather than the ice flower or even that flying ability you get at the end of Galaxy 1. In that game it's pretty much just used for flying around the hub if you want to, so it would have been cool to see it used in actual levels.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Neruz posted:

IIRC it was initally developed as a kind of 'level pack expansion' to SMG and over time they realised they had enough content for an entirely new game.

This is actually pretty common in game development, for what it's worth. It's exactly what happened to the upcoming Saint's Row 4, for example.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cheez posted:

I thought you could just hold the button? Or maybe I was just holding the button when Mario hit the ground. I don't know. I never had control issues with the spring and it's making me think people are just somehow doing it wrong.

Yeah you just need to hold the button down.

What throws people off i think is you hold the button down as mario is compressing, wheras people are trying to hold it down while he's uncompressing, which is too late.
With the spring 'shroom you basically need to look about an extra 1 - 2 seconds ahead of what you normally would because there is a lag time between action and reaction. Spring's gotta compress yo.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009

Cheez posted:

I don't disagree with you, but it's not intuitive for a lot of people who are used to the regular controls. As with pretty much every gimmick in the Mario games, your mileage may vary. Also, once you get the timing down for the jumping and a feel for how Mario just moves around with the spring both in the air and on the ground, that doesn't make using it any less of an arbitrary and annoying obstacle for a lot of players.

Pyrovile posted:

I don't really hate the spring mushroom, but I'm disappointed that they reused that item rather than the ice flower or even that flying ability you get at the end of Galaxy 1. In that game it's pretty much just used for flying around the hub if you want to, so it would have been cool to see it used in actual levels.

As far as I'm concerned, flying in 3D platform games is usually as bad as swimming. Some games do both well but 3D Mario games have never gotten the controls to feel right for either, so I don't think it's a bad thing that Galaxy 2 didn't use the flying powerup. In its stead, I had a lot of fun with the cloud power. It gives you the mobility through the air but without sacrificing the tight controls.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I am so sorry.

The original for those who are confused

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Glazius posted:

Capsaicin (the active ingredient in most if not all hot peppers) is an oil-like compound, making water ineffective. You're better off using something oil-based to wash it out such as vegetable oil. Casein is also a good detergent for it, making cold milk a much more effective and appetizing alternative.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

I am so sorry.

Exquisite. :golfclap:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ariong posted:

Capsaicin (the active ingredient in most if not all hot peppers) is an oil-like compound, making water ineffective. You're better off using something oil-based to wash it out such as vegetable oil. Casein is also a good detergent for it, making cold milk a much more effective and appetizing alternative.

And if you gave the pepper power up to squawks from donkey kong it would have no effect. As bids do not have Capsaicin receptors. :eng101:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ariong posted:

Agent355 posted:

And if you gave the pepper power up to squawks from donkey kong it would have no effect. As bids do not have Capsaicin receptors. :eng101:

I'm so glad that there are more and more informational LPs on the forum.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Agent355 posted:

And if you gave the pepper power up to squawks from donkey kong it would have no effect. As birds do not have Capsaicin receptors. :eng101:
This is why I mix hot pepper powder in with my birdseed to dissuade squirrels.

They seem to have developed a taste for the stuff. :negative:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Agent355 posted:

But wait, wouldn't that mean they don't affect Yoshi? Birds are descended from dinosaurs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

But wait, wouldn't that mean they don't affect Yoshi? Birds are descended from dinosaurs.

Correct! Birds aren't just descended from dinosaurs; they are dinosaurs. Birds are the only clade of dinosaurs that survived the cretaceous extinction event :eng101:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Agent355 posted:

That's a big part of why spicy peppers thrive in the first place! More specifically, a part of why the attribute of spiciness is favored by natural selection. Using capsaicin to ward off non-avian animals makes it more likely that birds will eat the the peppers and poop out the seeds within. Birds do a lot more travelling a lot quicker than most other animals and that makes them ideal for spreading your progeny. If you're a plant anyway.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Ariong posted:

That's a big part of why spicy peppers thrive in the first place! More specifically, a part of why the attribute of spiciness is favored by natural selection. Using capsaicin to ward off non-avian animals makes it more likely that birds will eat the the peppers and poop out the seeds within. Birds do a lot more travelling a lot quicker than most other animals and that makes them ideal for spreading your progeny. If you're a plant anyway.

Just shows how insane humans are that we now seek out vegetables that have specifically evolved for us not to eat them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rocketlex posted:

Just shows how insane humans are that we now seek out vegetables that have specifically evolved for us not to eat them.

We breed 'em hotter! :haw:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rocketlex posted:

We travel a lot and are prolific poopers so the plants would want it this way.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah we've travelled places (and pooped in places) birds can't even dream of and if we ever manage to get a life-sustaining off-world environment you can bet we'll be bringing a bunch of plants along with us.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The thing about nature is that it all comes back around to poop. We call it the circle of life because it helps us avoid facing the fact that we will all be poop one day, and also everything that we eat was poop once.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ariong posted:

The thing about nature is that it all comes back around to poop. We call it the circle of life because it helps us avoid facing the fact that we will all be poop one day, and also everything that we eat was poop once.

And everything we are made out of; every element in our world and every atom that makes us up is star poop.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ariong posted:

It's not so much the spreading as digestion. Birds generally do not have nearly as efficient digestive systems as compared to mammals, so a seed's more likely to pass through unharmed. If it spreads further due to a bird's flight? That's bonus points.

Rocketlex posted:

Learned response. If you eat a lot of hot peppers your body realizes that capsaicin is a good source of vitamins (specifically C if I remember correctly). So after a while your body goes "You know what...I want more of that" and gives you an endorphin rush when you bite into food rich in capsaicin to encourage you to eat more.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't help but find the Gopher Snake a more interesting bit of evolution to pepper plants; it looks similar to a rattlesnake, but has no venom, a rounder head (rattlers have a flat-ish one), and no rattle. When threatened it has evolved to instinctively pull off a massive bluff: it presses its head against the ground to flatten it, shakes its tail like a rattlesnake would, and hisses to reproduce the rattling sound. It will even bite if that doesn't work, even though the bite can at best scare off a predator (then again most things will attack if cornered). As an added bonus they eat gophers/prairie dogs (cute in zoos, vermin in yards), quite handy to have around. One lived in our yard for a few years when I was a kid so I learned all about them.

Summary: evolutionary biology is AWESOME!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
All LPs threads are now informative LP threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

That loving Sned posted:

The original for those who are confused

That doesn't really help

• Locked thread